Author Topic: The Undead  (Read 8532 times)

Offline Big Boris

• aka Andy Foster, Heresy Miniatures Owner/Prisoner
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • Dragon Slayer. At last.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heresyminiatures.com
The Undead
« on: October 29, 2013, 01:03:46 PM »
I'd best make a separate topic for the Undead 3-ups that I do, since Skeletons will form the backbone of the whole plastics range, being used to provide the proportions etc for all the human-derived figures I make.
I just posted this pic in the other thread:

It doesn't look like anything has changed since the last photos, but there's a been a lot of stuff done to it since then, and also, it looks twice as good as this in real life, because you aren't seeing the proper shape of it in this macro-lens image. And you aren't seeing all the many poses and weapons that I can see when I look into the future. I'm so bloody giddy with excitement about it, it's ridiculous.

Very tricky process because I'm second guessing the pattern and tool makers that will transfer it into a steel mould with zero undercuts. You certainly come to understand why certain companies have made odd choices when it comes to things like skulls. The ones you see on the tabletop have almost nothing in common with real life skulls - to do one that did justice to an actual skull I might have to make the 'face' entirely separate!

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
Re: The Undead
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 07:04:05 PM »
Looks cool. On my list of wants.  :thumbup:

Offline Beastlord

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:26:46 PM »
Very nice, cant wait to see these come to fruition  :boing:
Its "I couldn't care less"  :tantrum:

Offline Carcharoth

• Twilight Moderator
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Twilight Website
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 01:09:28 PM »
Lovely crisp sculpting. I can see why you are getting distracted!

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 12:33:29 PM »
Curses! Looks like I will have to do re-do the ribs - the space between them isn't really wide enough to show up when reduced. I'll probably have to lose 1 rib at least.

Offline Bioptic

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
So are you going for properly skeletal skellies, then? No "let's cheat by having the pelvis covered in rags"? I've been looking for some of those for some time! I have fond memories of the old GW plastic sprue.

One thing I thought of, is that these would be excellent for aspiring sculptors! Cheap detailed plastic armatures. If they're good enough for you to work off...

And I have no idea how feasible this is, but could you use the 3-up as the basis for a (non-plastic) Giant skeleton? I believe Mantic did something similar with their 3-ups in special edition resin, but these would actually have some use as gaming pieces.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 05:19:24 PM »
I'm currently aiming to do the first selection completely 'naked' but I have a slight worry about them being too thin and fragile once reduced. I intend to use the 3-ups for other things as much as possible, both for other plastics (ghouls, zombies, Dark Brethren and so on) and for 28mm scale giants and things!

Offline Tasker

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • How far to Hitchin? It's Hitchin i'm missing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 08:27:07 PM »
So are you going for properly skeletal skellies, then? No "let's cheat by having the pelvis covered in rags"? I've been looking for some of those for some time! I have fond memories of the old GW plastic sprue.

One thing I thought of, is that these would be excellent for aspiring sculptors! Cheap detailed plastic armatures. If they're good enough for you to work off...

And I have no idea how feasible this is, but could you use the 3-up as the basis for a (non-plastic) Giant skeleton? I believe Mantic did something similar with their 3-ups in special edition resin, but these would actually have some use as gaming pieces.

God I used to love those skellibobs.  And to this day I still think they're the best looking ones that GW have done to date.
Tasker the Mighty,
He roams through the countryside,
He never needs a place to hide...

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 12:48:40 AM »
Agreed

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »
Pockets has posted a picture of a WIP 3-Up resin of a skeleton on the Heresy Facebook page. Basically I made a mould of some parts I'm working on and glued them together to see if I was doing it right or not. Looks good!

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 07:43:07 AM »
Very cool. I like the shield paint job too :D
Any chance of converting the 3up into a skeletal giant afterwards?

Edit: just checked more of your facebook page. Loving what I'm seeing on there. Have to get a couple of foreskins. Lol, nope not an autocorrect error. Scroll down to April 8 to see my meaning
https://www.facebook.com/HeresyMiniatures (not my words either)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:52:33 AM by beefcake »

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Chosen Heretic
  • Errh ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »
The 3-up looks very nice!
Hope this develops well and we see a plastic sekeleton box say... this year? :whistle:

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 09:24:03 AM »
The 3-up looks very nice!
Hope this develops well and we see a plastic sekeleton box say... this year? :whistle:

Hope so, but I'm a bit bound by the dragon queue - if I run a kickstarter before the queue is sorted or almost sorted, the one or two vociferous enemies i have made (apparently by refunding them for dragons  when they asked, which somehow makes me a thief to them) will gleefully join the KS just to tell everyone they wobn't get anything in th ecomments! (That's some people for you. They're pitiable, really.)

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Chosen Heretic
  • Errh ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 09:43:05 AM »
Frankly, I expected it to depend on the dragon in some way... better not to offer malevolent people unnecessarily a target to shoot at you. Anyway, wanting to sort out one thing before starting another is a highly honourable attitude of solving issues, so don't feel rushed by people like me asking for future release dates or something.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 09:48:53 AM »
Also, due to me casting dragons, it'll take at least that long to get any more work done on the 3-ups anyway!

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 01:00:10 PM »
 :thinks: multi weapon arms ?  :whistle:
 really wanted goblins. but could make a small skeleton army will waiting  :lmao:
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 02:34:03 PM »
We'll get to the goblins eventually!

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »
re: multi-weapon arms - every part on a mould costs muchos money so stretch goals will change sprue size, add options etc. Every part has to really, really count, so I'll start with the 'basics' and work up through 'also needed' to 'luxuries'.

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 12:42:49 AM »
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 08:28:40 AM »
 :paranoid2: may have found a kickstarter to back then  :D 3 questions Andy will there be only be round shields, what size will they be and will the overall size of the fig be the same as the otherwold skeletons ?
                   For 2014

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 09:20:52 AM »
3 answers:
1) No, will be doing several shields and picking the best ones to run with - the round one in the pic needs decorating in a variety of styles and then decaying.
2) Various sizes, it's very difficult to work out just how big they will be when reduced by 1/3rd in terms of thickness. Things look right at the 3-Up size that you then realise will be very wrong at real size. eg thickness of shield.
3) Not sure. I'm currently working around a '30mm to the eye sockets when standing upright' size, maybe slightly less, which should mean they'll be the same sort of size as the Otherworld ones. Depends how much extra reduction is involved in the process beyond deliberately shrinking it to 1/3rd the size. I'm hoping none but...

Can't wait to get cracking on these!

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 10:10:43 AM »
IF i may then the HF hoplite shield works with the otherworld ones very well also little big men decals fit nicley. i  know that metal and plastic are 2 animals being a welder and haveing working in injection moulding to get that size shield in plastic could be silly thick. that my input hope it helps a little
                   For 2014