Poll

Which plastics would you/your pals be excited about and want to buy? (5 votes)

Skeletons
Ghouls
Zombies (unarmed)
Dark Brethren Cultists
Gribblies - giant slugs, hell mites, giant spiders
The Tunnel Dweller/Giant Maggoty Maw Thing
Fallen One (needs a lot of frames, would cost about twice as much as The Tunnel Dweller to make)
Dungeon Tiles - self-assembly, use to build custom dungeons
Dungeon Doors
SciFi Troopers
Gang types
Adventurer Party
Minotaur
Deathball Ogre(s)
Goblins (hand weapons + shields)
Goblins (archers)
Kobolds (think puny dog-chicken humanoids)
Snakemen
Orcs (*NOT* GW style)

Author Topic: Plastics - your input wanted!  (Read 35291 times)

Offline Big Boris

• aka Andy Foster, Heresy Miniatures Owner/Prisoner
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • Dragon Slayer. At last.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heresyminiatures.com
Re: Plastics - your input wanted!
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2013, 03:39:05 PM »
Just to say, the skeletons are proving exciting but also very clearly defining the issues involved with zero-undercuts and trying to work out the correct proportions for something that's too big for the scale. For instance, I need to keep the arms and legs thick enough that they won't snap in a breeze, which means they need to be at least 1mm thick in all directions, which translates to at least 3mm thick, which is actually thicker than the arms I had done, which previously I had thought looked like they were the right thickness compared to the overall sculpt, but that's by-and-by, the production process trumps all! Very tricky.

Offline decker_cky

• Worthless Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2013, 12:42:12 AM »
You want to be careful not to make your skeletons too fiddly either. Check out Wargames Factory skeletons if you haven't - very nice looking, but they're in far too many parts and parts are too thin, making them tough to assemble and extremely fragile.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2013, 12:44:25 AM »
Yes. Foremost in my mind.

Offline BecauseWeIsMonsters

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2013, 09:59:36 PM »
Switched my vote to include "gribblies". The posibility of hordes of giant scorpions in plastic would be nice.
In 2014
Miniatures completed: 18
Miniatures accidentally destroyed: 8
Miniatures needlessly rebased: 6

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2013, 05:26:28 AM »
Yep, dungeon vermin would be great in plastic.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2013, 10:12:38 AM »
Sure would. Hope I get to do them at some point!

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »
There. Vote submitted. A few of the guys at my club say they love your gangers and/or sci fi troopers but can't afford the prices you charge. Yeah, I know, they're old school stingy gamers :p. Personaly I'd be more up for an adventuring party, goblins, orcs, skeletons, etc. But the poll did say you and your mates.

It might be worth considering things that could become part of the possible future boardgame as well. Getting some of the work out of the way early.
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
Can you please do the Goblins as my army NEEDS them.
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »
 :metoo:
Me needs more gobbos

Offline Vermis

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Minisculpture
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2014, 12:33:17 AM »
Voted skellies and sci-fi troopers cos the WIP 3-ups are still dead purty; melee goblins and dungeon gribblies cos the metal ones are great and I have a feeling plastic ones could do well; and minotaur, cos GW really dropped the ball with theirs and an updated manbane in placcy would wipe the floor with them... :p

Would've voted dark brethren if I had a sixth choice. Kobolds, snakemen and orcs sound interesting, but apart from one sketch I half-remember from ages ago, I dunno what they'd look like.
minisculpture.co.uk
DanG on greens:
...before it even gets put into production the response that starts with 'nice job' ends in 'now do another...'

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2014, 12:38:13 PM »
Ker-bump!

Still looking for people's feedback on this ongoing behemoth of ambition!

Offline LazarusKing

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2014, 04:00:33 PM »
What sort of stuff do you think a potential Netherhells boxed set would include?  I'd image the adventurers, a dungeon vermin sprue, and skeletons.  Maybe a minor Fallen One?
Lazbot KILL!!!!

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2014, 04:11:57 PM »
I'd like to do a mixed box, but I've been told by many people they'd prefer a themed one. Bearing that in mind, the most sensible option to me would be one with either 'Heroic' Adventurers versus a mix of Dark Brethren Cultists (with a few skeletons, zombies, gribblies and demons in there) or the Anti-Hero mix of 'Evil Adventurers' versus Palace Guard (Evil Adventurers would be eg Assassin, Sorceror, Fallen Paladin but could still have Barbarian, Thief and so forth as those type of guys don't give a monkey's whose side their on as long as they get a reward - just be a change of pace to not have the traditional Elf, Dwarf, Barbarian, Wizard group). Of course, with a dungeon game, you only really get one of each model that is then duplicated by having multiple sprues in the box, which is not as much fun as individual sprues of multiple skeletons etc.

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Chosen Heretic
  • Errh ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2014, 11:33:53 PM »
Still looking for people's feedback on this ongoing behemoth of ambition!
Frankly speaking, I'm not sure what you expect ... I mean, almost 500 people have voted so far.  :scratchhead:
Is it explanations for what we've voted for? I have to admit I can imagine that votes alone maybe a hint but lack the substance... hm, the more I think about it, the more I guess this is it. So I give it a try:
I voted for
  • Skeletons
  • Dungeon Tiles
  • Goblins
  • Kobolds
  • Orcs
Skeletons are versatile: Ray-Harryhausen-style fantasy skirmish, dungeon crawling games, rpgs and every undead army. You never can have enough of them.

Dungeon Tiles: Well, like many others (with a past in frpgs, I suppose), I hope to, one day, can invite my gaming pals for a classic dungeon crawl with 3d terrain. Unfortunately, I can't afford the 3d terrain on the market, but having to scratch build it makes it unlikely that I get there before retirement. Affordable plastic parts to build my dungeon would be a great help to get there earlier.

Goblins: Since the day you released your goblin archers, I thought: Great, they look different to the standard goblin miniatures! But archers alone without mélée goblins are pretty useless as they can hardly be combined with other manufacturer's goblins. That's why I want you to do hand weapon goblins suitable for your archers, plastic or not.

Kobolds: Sounds like fun and reminds me of the days long gone when I was playing AD&D 2nd ed., but is still something different than the usual dwarves/elves/orcs/goblins stuff.

Orcs: Well, the crucial thing here is the "(*NOT* GW style)". I'm not overly interested in orcs, but the chance to get some different ones is tempting...

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:35:09 PM by Shaved Dwarf »

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2014, 12:14:47 AM »
One of my worries is that I wouldn't want to see Heresy commit big time into going head to head with someone like Mantic who seem very well established in the fantasy plastics market. I'm not saying Andy couldn't do better than Mantic, but I'm concerned that Mantic have it stitched up already. For instance they seem to have a fair few skeletons out there. Andy's are clearly more 'Harryhausen' (which to me is a big win), but is that enough? Have people already bought into the Mnatic ones? I dunno. Kobolds; does any game outside D&D have them? I last played AD&D in the 1980s and despite playing dozens of RPGs since I can't think of coming across them in another system. Orcs, I'd buy into if they were more Middle Earth-y than Games Workshop-y, but what lights my candle may leave others cold. It would all depend on design and personal taste. I really want Heresy to storm this one, and I WILL buy into it if it's a product I can use, but clearly the money needed to sort the moulds is a huge committment and I just want Andy to get that right.
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Hellboy - "Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2014, 09:55:43 AM »
That's what Kickstarter is supposed to be for. If the product is the right product - and I'm only ever in the business of making stuff that *I* think is better than stuff already available, or else what's the point? - then it will receive the funds needed to produce it - my KS goals etc are not going to be the subsidised ones run by Mantic and other businesses that already have the money, they'll be large enough ones that allow me to produce the product at no further financial risk.

What I want is to know what sort of thing people expect to see in the choices that they've made, for instance it might be that all the people who have ticked Gang Types are particularly after a certain look or set of weaponry, that the ones with Sci-Fi Troopers as their vote expect no deviation from the Troopers I've already made, or want nothing but long-coated snowtroopers or suchlike. I've tried making separate topics but they petered out unseen so I'm hoping to use this one to keep people informed about the ongoing project and shape my sculpting accordingly.

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2014, 01:07:38 PM »
Absolutely fair comment(s). I suppose I've become jaded by seeing too many people use KS as a way to publicise ranges they were probably going to release anyway.
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Hellboy - "Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2014, 01:09:41 PM »
Yes, my feelings exactly. But that's how this business works, now, it seems to me: you release on KS and get a big hit, or you release through the regular manner and nobody buys it 'cos they've dumped all their money on some KS.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2014, 10:28:15 PM »
As with anything though I think the KS fad is starting to die down. People are thinking more wisely about the purchases they make now that they realise they won't get their shiny immediately or in most cases even at the expected date.

Offline connexion

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Connexion Bizarre
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2014, 02:48:05 AM »
Since you asked about the why's behind people's votes, here are mine (in no particular order):

- Dark Brethren Cultists -
I think the present cultists are, mildly put, amazing. I am an unconditional fan of Paul Muller's sculpts. On the other hand, the cultist concept drawings open more interesting possibilities and, from a collector's point of view, they would go great with the metal Gang deal I bought a couple of months ago (awesome sculpts since we're at it, mr. Foster...). Of course I would like the cultists to have futuristic weapon options in addition to the hooks... And a few maggoty things to accompany them.

-Tunnel Dweller-
One of my *biggest* regrets where Heresy is concerned is not having bought a Tunnel Dweller when there was a chance to do it. No money at the time and a "maybe it won't sell out" attitude means I'm regretting it big time now. Anyone have a spare? :P

-Dungeon Tiles & Doors-
'nuff said. If there's a skirmish game to go with all this...

-Sci-Fi Troopers-
Quite like the current metal ones and they could be great if plastic-ed. :-)

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2014, 03:49:15 AM »
Andy's planning on a resin Tunnel Dweller so you are in luck

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »
Yeah.... it hasn't gone well, though! I made the upper torso with head and arm intact but for some reason every time I gently open the mould it either rips the arms off or the head off - or both! TD back to the drawing board for the moment, could just be a physics thing or I might have to rework it for separate limb and noggin.

Offline Daemonslave

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2014, 10:16:38 AM »
I voted cultists first because there is a serious lack of them out there at the moment (I want them like your dark brethren or a KKK type look)

There's a lot of zombies out there at the moment but you can never have too many different types. The best I have seen is Tre Manors ones (Red Box), but they are a little small. If you could do a similar style and scale them up I would be delighted.

I also clicked on gribblies, cos let's be fair, you can never have too many gribblies. Plastic Scorpions for the win!

Offline Vermis

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Minisculpture
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2014, 12:42:39 PM »
One of my worries is that I wouldn't want to see Heresy commit big time into going head to head with someone like Mantic who seem very well established in the fantasy plastics market. I'm not saying Andy couldn't do better than Mantic, but I'm concerned that Mantic have it stitched up already.

Hardly. They may be going gangbusters with Deadzone or whatever, but Kings of War has stalled, and IMO stalled badly, probably thanks in part to that bloody awful Basilean release. They have a handful of 'traditional' fantasy races, and those generally range from odd designs (elves, dwarfs, trolls) to utterly dreadful. (drakons, sisters) I've seen plenty of opinions, people who complain that GW is too expensive but who won't touch Mantic for their mass fantasy army building because the minis are too weird; and I have to agree. Granted, the one army that draws least sneers is undead, which might clash with Andy's skellies, but personally I'd rather have plastic skellies that don't have bits of peculiar armour (whether Mantic, or GW's which are apparently all composed of an unknown bat-obsessed race) let alone all undead Basileans.
(Though that does mean that if I want armoured skeletons, I'd prefer they have armour that generally resembles real world armour, which might not tally with Andy's or anyone else's vision.)

So I voted for those. What else? (No really, I forgot. Need to check)

Gribblies. Always useful for dungeon crawls and army swarms?

Sci-fi troopers, because the wips shown so far are well designed and well sculpted. I don't have much urgent need for a sci-fi human army right now, but if these get released I'm gonna start one anyway.

Minotaur. I think Manbane is still one of the better minotaur minis out there, and I think a sprue or two with 2-3 variations or bits would go down well. Especially if GW keep theirs around for a few more years. (Though, since we're invited to stick our oar in, maybe more manbane proportions than elfbane)

Goblins with hand weapons and shields, for largely the same reason as Shaved Dwarf. Whether plastic or metal, I think the next goblins should be swords or spears, to complement the existing archers.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:03:27 PM by Vermis »
minisculpture.co.uk
DanG on greens:
...before it even gets put into production the response that starts with 'nice job' ends in 'now do another...'

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2014, 12:48:51 PM »
My armoured ones are going to be generic fantasy warrior based for the most part, furs, horned helms etc. The kind of stuff you'd find down a dungeon rather than battlefields. I find ones that are utterly enslaved to real-world armour a little dull. Also, if you actually look at real-life armour from medieval times, it's so frigging weird because they allow for movement and stuff by having massively flared bits that make you think 'clown trousers'. Not aesthetically pleasing or cool at all!