Author Topic: The Education  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
The Education
« on: March 04, 2013, 04:39:36 PM »
The education

Aria dashed down the corridor as fast as her legs could carry her. In one hand she held a readied pistol and in the other a small data retriever. The only sounds that could be heard as she ran were the gentle pad of her soft-soled boots on the floor and her heavy breathing. As she ran she tried to contact her employer through her neural net but was having no luck. “Damn him!” she thought. She rounded the corner and was confronted by a pair of human guards who had a confused look on their faces as she dashed straight towards them. Before they could react, Aria fired her pistol twice and the guards dropped to the floor unconscious. She leapt over the prone guards and piled towards the exit; firing a single blast at the lower panel of one of the doors before slipping through it and out into the night.

There were still no alarms.

Were the humans so slow-witted that they had not caught on to what had happened?

Aria slowed her pace to that of a stiff stroll and stowed her pistol. She thumbed the controller on her jacket cuff and it immediately changed colour from matt black to a deep red. Aria was always glad that her job gave her access to some of the most up-to-date gadgetry available; in this case, optic camouflage. She removed her cap and swished her hair loose; allowing her long, red hair to cascade down her back. She pocketed her cap and removed a zip-lock bag from her jacket. Carefully, she placed the data retriever in the bag and tucked it safely away. In the distance, she noticed the sound of alarms but continued on her way towards the bridge.

“Answer me, damn it” thought Aria through the neural net… but there was no reply. She watched as first one, and then a handful of security vehicles dashed past, and hoped that she would reach the bridge in time. She knew it was only a matter of time before word of a ‘little person’ raiding the Techno-Corp building was sent to the security forces and then she would be in trouble. She wasn’t disappointed as one of the security vehicles that were rushing past suddenly slowed and began to turn towards her.

“Feth” she thought.

She quickly pulled up her hood and thumbed the controller on her jacket again. After a brief pause, the jacket colour matched her surroundings and her trousers and boots quickly followed suit. All that could be seen were her eyes and her diminishing face as she pulled on her hood draw-strings. Aria took a deep breath and burst into a sprint again. She only had a few hundred metres to cover but knew it was going to be tight. The security vehicle could catch glimpses of her as her surroundings changed and the optic camouflage struggled to keep pace with her sprint.

One hundred metres… fifty metres…

“Where are you?” thought Aria.
“Good evening, Harlequin” said a voice in Aria’s mind.
“About time” she replied as she could sense the closeness of the security vehicle behind “are you in position?”
“Of course” replied the voice.
“Good” said Aria and she immediately veered sharply to her right, ran straight across the busy road and leapt from the ornate stone balustrade of the bridge and into the dark water below.

The cold water clawed at her clothing but she continued to swim deeper. In the near distance a circle of dull green lights glowed through the murky water and she swam towards it. When she reached the lights, she reached down, opened the hatch and climbed inside; fastening the heavy door behind her. Once she was inside she reached for the oxy-mask and thrust her face into it; immediately feeling much better because she could breathe again. There was a loud hiss and the water started to drain from the compartment Aria was in. In a couple of minutes the water was gone and the inner hatch opened.

“Welcome aboard” said a rather swarthy looking Grymn “do you have it?”
“Yes, it is here” replied Aria and she patted her jacket pocket.
“I hope it is worth our efforts” said the Grymn and he beckoned her to follow him from the small airlock chamber.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:42:43 PM by Inso »
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
Re: The Education
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »
"Help me obi-wan, you're my only hope."
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:36:10 AM »
The education 2

“So, you are saying that a little person walked into your high-security facility, had free range to go as they pleased and then stunned two guards broke a door to escape… and took nothing?” asked the security chief.
“Yes, that is exactly what I am saying, officer” replied the tall, grey haired man.
“Do you have any security footage of the intruder?” asked the chief.
“I am sorry but our cameras are undergoing maintenance so there is no security footage available” replied the grey haired man.
“Could you tell me what this little person looked like?” asked the chief.
The grey haired man indicated a height of just above his waist with his hand and said “they were this big.”
“Was it a male or a female?” asked the chief.
“I couldn’t say… they were wearing black fatigues and boots though” replied the grey haired man with a calm air about him.
“Hmmm… is that all you have?” asked the chief.
“I am afraid so, officer” replied the grey haired man and he smiled.
“Well I don’t hold much hope of finding them” said the chief “but we’ll keep you posted on any developments.”
“Thank you, officer” replied the grey haired man “my assistant will show you out.”
The security chief left the office and the grey haired man walked over to his window and looked out at the bright lights of the city buildings illuminating the night all around him. He looked down at the lights of vehicles following the roads and contemplated what had happened before sitting at his desk and opening the security feed on his viewer. He watched the small female figure dashing through the corridors and almost laughed when she confronted the two guards and escaped. He dialled in an earlier time and zoomed in to see that she had plugged a data retriever into the main-frame and was down-loading information. He paused before tapping on his keyboard to bring up the history files and could see exactly what she had down-loaded. He smiled.

“Clever little woman” he thought.

Aria placed the zip-lock bag, containing the data retriever, on the table.
“I managed to get the whole thing… it was almost too easy” she said. The male Grymn reached for the bag but Aria slammed her hand down on his before saying “my payment?”
The Grymn smiled and placed a small card on the table and said “a hundred K, wasn’t it?”
“Yes” replied Aria and she picked up the card and tucked it into her pocket before releasing her grip.
The Grymn opened the bag, removed the device and immediately plugged it in to his reader. “Perfect” he said with a smile “where would you like to be dropped off?”
“Pier nineteen will be fine” she replied.
“As you wish” said the Grymn.

An hour later, Aria was climbing into her speeder and fastening the safety belt. She spoke the ignition command and the speeder rose from the ground and hovered a few inches above it. She increased power and sped off down the pier and onto the grav-way. She watched the lights of the city and other vehicles rush past and became lost in her own thoughts. The gentle humming of the anti-gravity drive had a calming effect and she almost passed her turn off as a result. Fortunately she snapped out of her reverie and turned off the grav-way and onto her hab-street.

After parking her speeder in her garage and securing the door, Aria walked into her kitchen, said “lights” and the room was illuminated. She continued into her bedroom and said “lights” again before undressing and putting on a towelling gown. She carefully hung her optical camouflage on individual hangers and slid them into the decontamination cupboard. She set the timer for an hour and watched as the green light illuminated and the glass steamed up. She walked into the en-suite bathroom and began to fill the bath; closing the door behind her.

“Harlequin” said a voice in Aria’s mind mind. It was barely audible but it was enough to cause her to stir from her sleep.
“What is it?” she thought.
“We have another job for you” said the voice.
“Can it wait until I have slept?” thought Aria, grumpily.
“It is a category one job” said the voice.
Aria immediately forced herself awake and said “continue.”
“We need you to come in and receive a full briefing” said the voice “we are sending a transport… you have half an hour.”
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »
The education 3

“Just another job” thought Aria as she lay on her belly in amongst the undergrowth at the edge of the large garden that circled the country estate. She thought about the time and a digital voice said “three thirty one AM” in her mind. She sighed and scanned the building with her eyes. There were armed patrols that circled every seven and a half minutes. There were pressure plates in the grounds, laser trip-wires and motion sensors on posts.

“Well, there is no time like the present” she thought.

Aria opened the case she had brought with her and removed the five drones. She placed them on the ground and looked at them for a moment. They looked a bit like rabbits but had an over-long tail instead of the usual ball of fur. They were also metal and painted in a khaki green colour. Aria switched them on and pressed the ‘initiate program’ button and they immediately sprang to life; dashing towards the large house, in a random pattern, dragging their heavy tails behind them. In seconds, there was total chaos. Alarms were sounding, spot-lights had flashed into life and security personnel were dashing around excitedly. Aria watched for a moment before placing a sixth drone on the ground. She pressed the ‘initiate program’ button and the drone stayed where it was. She then thumbed the control on her jacket and made sure that her face was fully covered except for her eyes before the optical camouflage kicked in and she faded into the background. She paused for a moment and watched the guards before picking her time to move. Seconds later she was zig-zagging across the lawns with a drone following her every move from a metre away. There was the occasional splash of grass as a round impacted the turf near the drone but in no time at all, Aria had reached building and had carefully concealed herself in an alcove so that she could gather her wits. She watched her drone pause for a moment before it dashed off in the direction of the guards and she smiled to herself “sell yourself well” she thought as she watched it leave. She retrieved her tools from her jacket and began to probe the security locks around the nearest window. Momentarily, there was a click and she pulled the window open before climbing carefully inside and re-securing the window behind her.

The interior of the house was extravagant and garish. There were marble statues, suits of ancient armour, animal heads on the walls and large, abstract paintings everywhere. The décor was a mix of historical and ultra modern and Aria thought it was a terrible clash of styles. She quickly remembered what she was doing and snapped out of her musing before checking her neural blue-print of the building. She exited the room; the library, and made her way up the staircase in the opulent hallway. She could still hear the commotion outside and was happy that her drones were still keeping the guards busy. The drones were well armoured but would eventually succumb to the bullets from automatic weaponry. She reached the top of the stairs and counted the doors along the landing. “Door three is the one I want” she thought and she hurried towards it. As she passed the second doorway, door three opened and a grey haired man in a ruby coloured smoking jacket stepped out.

Aria froze and looked at the floor to shield her eyes. The man paused for a moment before walking past her with barely an inch to spare. Her optical camouflage must have been working overtime. She remained perfectly still until she heard the man descend the stairs. He was shouting for his assistant and was getting quite angry. “Maybe that is why he didn’t spot me” thought Aria before risking a glance in his direction. He was a tall, slender human with ash grey hair and an erudite manner. He exuded power when he spoke and was obviously used to having everything go his own way. Aria waited until he was out of sight before approaching the third door and entering the room.

The room was vast. It was a mix of bedroom, meeting room and lounge and it was decorated in a similar way to the other rooms she had seen. At one end of the room there was a glass topped desk and Aria made a bee-line for it. She double checked that she was alone and slipped off her gloves. She stood behind the desk and extended her hands above the glass surface. Almost immediately the surface began to glow and various computer screens appeared. Aria thought for a moment and the surface of her palms began to show silver threads over their surface that formed intricate patterns and glowed dully with a blue light. Aria focused on the tabletop and watched as one by one, the data on the screens was corrupted. A few seconds later the screens returned to their normal appearance and Aria moved her hands away; collecting her gloves from the desk top and putting them on again. “That’s it done” she thought “now to get out of here.”

She was just about to move when she heard voices outside the room.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:40:06 AM by Inso »

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »
Cybergrymnpunk.

You're a man of many talents, Inso.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »
The education 4

Aria looked down at the grey haired man and his assistant. The assistant was carrying the remains of one of the drones and the grey haired man was calmly talking to him whilst pointing at various components with the tip of a stylus. They both made their way over to the large meeting table and the grey haired man spread a small cloth on the table before the drone was placed on top. They both looked down at the drone and began to discuss it. Fortunately for Aria, they both had their backs to her so she was able to quietly shift her position. She had managed to climb on to one of the ornate wardrobes before the men walked into the room and was relying on her optical camouflage and luck to keep her concealed.

After about twenty minutes, the two men left the room and closed the door behind them. Aria listened carefully to their footsteps and when she was happy that they had left the area, she deftly dropped from the wardrobe and quickly made her way to the window. She carefully opened the window after she was sure it was safe to do so, moved out onto the broad sill and closed the window behind her. She could see that there were additional guards on patrol so opted to climb to the roof where there was a flat area between the angled sections of tiled roofs. Luckily, she had planned for a spot of climbing and was wearing nano-filament gloves and boots that, once activated, could merge with a surface and provide huge amounts of grip. In a couple of minutes, Aria was resting out of sight, on the flat area of the roof; waiting for darkness and the opportunity to escape.

The grey haired man sat at his desk and fired up the computer. The glass surface glowed with numerous screens and he began to navigate to the security system. He checked through the external cameras and made a mental note of how many drones he could see. He was happy that he had collected all six of them and decided to check the house security system. After a brief scan of the images, his interest was drawn to a window that apparently opened itself. He studied it for a moment and then switched his attention to his own room. He watched the images as they showed him leaving the room, walking down the stairs and shouting for assistance. After a few moments, the door to his room opened itself and closed again. The grey haired man immediately looked around his room but could not see anything out of the ordinary so continued to study the images. He flicked the system to the interior and studied the view. As if by magic, a pair of hands appeared above his desk, glowed for a while and then disappeared. He could also see a pair of shielded eyes behind impact resistant glasses. He watched as his door opened again and he and his assistant walked in with the drone. Once they had finished chatting and had left the room, the window opened itself and closed again. The grey haired man’s face turned from serious to one with a wry smile. He touched his desk and said “security, carry out a sweep of the grounds. I believe there is an intruder wearing optical camouflage on the premises.”
“Yes sir” said the security supervisor.
The grey haired man then checked his outgoing e-mails and discovered that, in his absence, he had sent e-mails to everyone in his address book. Each e-mail had no title and contained no information. He sat in his chair, rested his elbows on the leather arms and rested his chin on his thumbs. He smiled before reaching over to the power socket, switching off the computer’s power and unplugging it from the wall.
“You really are becoming a worry for me, little woman” thought the grey haired man.

Aria hunkered down on the roof but paid close attention to the noises in the grounds. It was obvious that she had been discovered but she hoped that they would restrict their searches to the grounds and not the building. She only needed another couple of hours and she would be able to escape.

Darkness eventually arrived and Aria fired up her nano-filament kit before deftly making her way down to the ground. Things had died down slightly and she knew that, with a bit of luck, she would be able to make her escape.
“Jester, it is time for your appearance” thought Aria.
“As you wish, Harlequin” was the response.
Aria concentrated for a moment and looked around the grounds. In the distance she could see a green glow approaching that would have been invisible to anyone without access to her neural net. Jester had arrived and had stopped a short distance from the perimeter wall. Aria watched as he climbed from his vehicle and went to open the rear compartment. As soon as the door was open a flock of birds erupted from the vehicle and made for the lawns around the main house. For the second time in two nights, the motion sensors, alarms and lights were thrown into operation and the guards were distracted enough for Aria to escape the grounds. Once she was clear she made her way to her concealed vehicle “thank you, Jester… you may recall your pets now” she thought.
“You are always welcome, Harlequin” he replied.
Aria climbed into her vehicle and looked towards Jester’s vehicle. A flock of birds descended on the vehicle and neatly disappeared into the boot. “Nano-tech is an amazing thing” thought Aria and she fired up her speeder and left the scene inconspicuously.

“I understand your concern, governor but I am sure that I can bury this” said the grey haired man.
“I hope that is the case” replied the governor “because I wouldn’t want to be in your shoes if I am linked to terrorist activities”.
“Governor, it is very unwise to threaten me… especially because of the amount of delicate information I have in my possession” replied the grey haired man “that and the fact that my friends and associates would take a very dim view of me being threatened.”
There was a pause before the governor said “I’m sorry but you must understand my position.”
“I do, governor, and I will sort this mess out” replied the grey haired man. He closed the line and thought for a moment before summoning his assistant.
“Sir, you wanted me for something?” asked the assistant as he strolled into the room.
“How are you getting on with the little woman?” replied the grey haired man.
“We are following a few leads but we don’t have anything concrete yet. The drones were special tech… not on the market. The skin cells recovered from the desk are being processed and we should have DNA records soon. We are trying to trace the part numbers that were found on the nano-tech bird that remained in the grounds the other night… we were lucky that it malfunctioned as it is providing the best leads so far” said the assistant “we have a manufacturer in questioning as we speak.”
“Good” said the grey haired man “it is better than I would have hoped. Whoever has chosen to focus their attention on my organisation is by no means an amateur.” He raised himself out of his chair and walked over to the window “they will have traced all of my contacts by now and know just how wide my net is cast… pretty soon they will discover that they should not have meddled in my affairs.”
“Will that be all, sir?” asked the assistant.
“Yes thank you” replied the grey haired man as he gazed out of the window and smiled to himself “they won’t know what hit them” he thought.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »
The education 5

“It is worse than we suspected” said the commander.
“I agree” replied a bald headed Grymn with a tightly trimmed, ginger beard.
“There are links to every powerful government on the planet” said a bespectacled female Grymn with hair slicked back into a tight bun.
“We have let this continue for too long. The Father will be disappointed with our inaction” replied the commander.
They all nodded and accepted the responsibility that had been implied.
“What can we do now?” asked the female Grymn “the tendrils run deep.”
“If we remove the brain, the tendrils will wither and die” said the commander.
“But we have no legal recourse to do that” said the ginger bearded Grymn “and how do we know that the grey haired man is the king-pin of the organisation?”
“We don’t” replied the commander “but we do know that he is high up and his demise may trigger events higher up.”
“So how will we do it?” asked the female Grymn.
“Clean and quick” replied the commander.

Grendel sat on a stool at the bar. He had it raised so that he was at a comfortable height to rest his elbow on the bar at the perfect height to put his tankard of mead to his lips. He was a wiry and sly looking Grymn with his black hair slicked back into a short ponytail. His green eyes observed everything in the room with laser like precision while he casually sipped his mead. He wore smart trousers, sturdy boots and a padded, plaid shirt. He appeared respectable but deep in thought. If you hadn’t noticed the intricate web of golden filaments that covered every inch of his skin, you would have thought that he was a business man on an afternoon off.
“Hammer” said a voice in his mind “activate protocol 1”.
“As you wish” thought Grendel and he finished his drink, dropped down from his stool and walked from the bar. Half an hour later, Grendel was standing beside a public data point, waiting for it to beep at him. It did so and he placed his thumb in the receptacle to initiate contact.
“Hammer, prepare for data upload in three, two, one…commencing” said a voice in his mind.
Grendel gritted his teeth and closed his eyes tight as the high pitch squeal of a data upload washed through his mind. In a few seconds, it was over and he relaxed.
“Upload complete… have a nice day” said the voice and then it went quiet.
Grendel withdrew his thumb and walked back to his grav-cycle “this should be an easy one” he thought. He climbed onto his cycle, put on a pair of mirrored sunglasses and took a cigar from his pocket. He bit the end off, jammed it between his teeth and lit it. He inhaled deeply and fired up his grav-cycle “should be fun too” he thought before he checked the road was clear and casually rode away.

The workshop was in darkness when Grendel walked down the steps. “Lights” he said and one or two strip lights flickered before emitting a constant yellow light. “Hello buddy” he said as he walked towards the large armoured suit standing in front of him with various cables linked to it. He walked over to a nearby console, pressed a few keys and was rewarded by the rear of the suit lowering to allow access. Grendel walked around the suit and disconnected the leads before climbing into the rear of the suit. Once he had inserted his arms and legs into their respective sockets, he felt a tingle in his skin as the interface was made with the control system. Grendel thought about the suit sealing and the rear of the suit closed and the suit was sealed. He thought about the suit powering up and it did so as a result of his mental command. He carried out a systems check and made a few cursory movements before walking over to the vehicle that was parked in the workshop. It appeared to be a white sport-speeder with blacked out windows. As he approached, the nearest door opened upwards and he climbed into the only seat in the vehicle before the door closed behind him. Grendel started the engine, opened the automatic door and left the workshop slowly; making sure the door closed behind him. He then checked his neural map and drove off in the indicated direction.

When Grendel arrived near the estate, he sat in his vehicle for a moment to make sure that the target was inside. After a brief neural conversation with control, it was confirmed that the grey haired man was inside so Grendel prepared himself before climbing from his vehicle. Once outside he flexed to make sure that the suit was fully functional and ran towards the perimeter wall. With a single, servo assisted leap, he was over and into the grounds. The alarms sounded but he paid no attention to them because he was already at the house. He chose an upstairs window and leapt into the air; punching through the glass and landing in the grey haired man’s room. He was sat at his desk and had a look of horror on his face as the armoured figure walked towards him and drew his fist back. With a bone crunching punch, the grey haired man was thrown from his seat and crushed heavily against the wall. Grendel withdrew his fist and cursed “It’s a decoy” he thought.
“What do you mean” asked control.
“It’s a synthetic replica” replied Grendel with a thought “I am extracting immediately.” He immediately ran to the other side of the room and burst through the window on the opposite side of the building. He landed heavily but stably and immediately boosted himself across the grounds and over the perimeter wall; the sound of small arms fire could be heard as he ran. As soon as he was over the wall, he activated his ground movers and wheels popped out from his feet and the rear of his calves. Once they were fully deployed, he quickly motored off to the other side of the estate and rejoined his vehicle. He quickly climbed inside and activated the optical camouflage on the windows. From outside, it now appeared that the windows were clear and there were two people in the vehicle. He slowly drove the speeder away.

“Now what?” asked the commander.
“Now we wait” replied the ginger bearded Grymn “and see what turns up.”
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:52:36 PM by Inso »

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »
The education 6

“Hmmm” thought the grey haired man as he sat at his desk watching the security footage of the raid on his house and his attempted assassination “It is a good thing that I saw this coming.” He leaned back in his seat and the interface node on the chair connected to the small metallic area on the back of his neck. He breathed deeply, closed his eyes and allowed his mind to fill with data.
“Alpha, I await your input” said a deep, metallic voice through his mind.
“Where did the suit come from?” asked Alpha.
“It is a standard, military issue powered suit. It is issued to the Grymn federation Special Forces. Currently, there are eleven thousand four hundred and eight held in various sectors of this planet with thousands more held off world. The suit in question showed no unit markings, serial numbers or identifying details. It is unknown where the particular suit has come from” replied the metallic voice.
“Hypothesise” replied Alpha.
“Insufficient data” replied the voice.
“Have the nanodes that were transferred from my duplicate been traced yet?” asked Alpha.
“A small domicile in sector 11 subsection J” replied the voice.
“Map” said Alpha, and a map was transferred to his neural net. Inform section 3 that we need to investigate the building.”
“It is done” replied the voice.
“Good” thought Alpha “we’ll soon start to get a few answers.”

The moment Grendel entered his workshop and the door closed behind him, the contamination filters picked up a trace signature and flashed warnings. Grendel quickly checked his suit and he realised straight away that the remains of the grey man’s replica must be the problem so he leapt from his vehicle and straight into the decontamination unit. As soon as the door closed behind him, the unit filled with mist and his vision fogged over as the chemicals did their work on the outside of his suit; including the visor. Moments later, the mist cleared and he stepped from the unit. No sooner had he done so, a fist sized hole appeared in the door and Grendel felt an impact on his chest. He looked down to see the suit breached and blood pouring from the ragged hole. He gasped, his vision dimmed and he lost consciousness. After a brief pause, the workshop door opened and five police officers stepped into the room; one of whom was carrying an anti-material sniper rifle.
“Get the door closed” said the leader and one of the officers secured the door.
“Grey man, objective secured will extract information presently” said the leader into his headset “Tech, get to work.”
The tech, with the help of two others, opened the suit and Grendel’s lifeless form flopped backwards out of the body. The tech rested a lap-top on a nearby table, plugged in a small, spiked probe and returned to Grendel. With a sharp stab, he drove the spike into the base of Grendel’s skull and returned to his lap-top. He tapped a few keys and a blank neural net appeared on the screen. He tapped a few more keys and a searching icon on the screen coincided with a whirring noise from the probe in Grendel’s head. After a few seconds the searching icon was replaced by a download bar and the image of the neural net on the screen began to sparkle with small dots.
“How long will it take?” asked the leader.
“About eight minutes” the tech replied. The leader nodded and said “you two, check the house. You, scan this workshop. Leave nothing untouched.”

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »
 :applause: bad grymn or good grymn doing black ops ?
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »
The education 7

“Sir, we have picked up heavy-rifle fire at Hammer’s home address” said the tech.
“Thank you” replied the commander and he quickly returned to his desk and fired up his base-station. In moments, a satellite image of Grendel’s home was on the screen and the commander could clearly see the damage to the workshop door and the police vehicles outside.
“Hammer has been compromised” he thought.
“Understood” replied a voice in his mind.

The grey haired man paced up and down with a leisurely gait as he pondered what he was being told. His assistant was telling him about what was found at Grendel’s house and from what he could gather, there was very little that could indicate who the would-be assassin worked for.
“We are still in the process of de-coding his neural net but that should be finished in the next few hours” said the assistant “the codes are efficient but not unbreakable… we have David on the case.”
“Excellent” replied the grey haired man and he paused in his progress, put his hands to his lips as if in prayer and stared intensely at the near distance in deep thought “and the house was cleaned?”
“Yes, sir” replied the assistant “the nano-shredders were released and the building was dissolved.”
“The contents were collected and preserved?” asked the grey haired man.
“Yes… we have them in storage” replied the assistant.
“I think I may like to take a look at them” said the grey haired man and he strolled purposefully towards the door with his assistant following him instinctively.

The grey haired man looked at the array of items and started to run his hands over some of them. He chose the more business like items and when he touched each item he closed his eyes and paused before putting the item down and moving on to the next one. He picked up a pistol and put it down. He picked up a communication device and put it down. He picked up a rifle and paused.
“There is a serial number on the bolt carrier” he said “get this weapon stripped and investigate.” He placed the weapon on the table and it was immediately taken away. He continued to pick up the various items of equipment with no further indications so he moved over to the vehicle.
“Why hasn’t this vehicle been disassembled?” he asked.
“I am not sure, sir” replied his assistant before he indicated to a supervisor to get a team on the job immediately. Moments later a small team of mechanics bustled into the room and began opening tool kits.
The grey man walked over to a small table that was covered with a cloth. He drew the cloth back to reveal Grendel’s corpse.
“This was scanned before it was brought in?” he asked plainly.
“Yes sir” replied the assistant “there are no traces or biological contaminants of any kind. We took the liberty of removing the teeth so that they could be checked for devices… there were two filled with a systemic poison.”
“Make sure they are properly analysed” said the grey haired man “and while you are at it, I want the integration circuit removed from his skin and checked for serial numbers or nano-tags.”
“I’ll get someone on it” replied the assistant and automatically, one of the supervisors hurried out and returned with a pair of doctors.
“I want to know who is bothering me” thought the grey haired man.
“They will be found” replied a voice in his mind.
“I am sure they will but the effects of their meddling will be spreading like ripples on a pond. We need to stamp on this now” thought the grey haired man.
There was no reply.

“Harlequin” said a voice in Aria’s mind “The organisation has been compromised. Be on your guard.”

The newsfeeds began to fill with stories of corruption and implicated parties were seen to be denying the allegations with religious fervour. The most popular personality on the feeds was the governor of the central states.
“Sir, can you explain to the viewers how you became involved with an international terrorist organisation?” asked the reporter.
“No comment” said the governor’s aide as he hustled the governor past the waiting reporters and into the building.
“Is there any information you can give us about the Red Circle Group?” asked another reporter before the governor disappeared through the door and a security guard stepped forward to prevent anyone else gaining entry.
“Damn this commotion!” said the governor “I want this to stop… we will have to contact him.”
His aide shook his head and stared at the governor to indicate that he should not be speaking so openly and the governor paused before saying “you’re right, of course.”
The aide nodded and smiled sympathetically before they both climbed the ornate stairway that led to the main offices.

One by one, politicians, business leaders and manufacturing heads were reported to the news groups for their involvement with the Red Circle Group and occasionally, images of the grey haired man appeared in the news feeds as he disappeared into one building or another.

“Sir, we have overcome the set backs and have accessed the neural net” said the tech.
“Good” replied the grey haired man and he immediately began to make his way to the technical laboratory “have my assistant join me there.”

“From our investigations we have discovered that he was a lone operator who had never seen or visited his employers. His code name was Hammer and he had a direct neural link to a centralised neural database that has no track-able location code” said the tech “we have a number of contacts from ‘control’ but little else, sir.”
“Do we have useable access to his net?” asked the grey haired man “can we get a contact out to this ‘control’ figure?”
“I do not have the expertise to comment on that sir” replied the tech “you would need to talk to David for that information… but I would expect that using a deceased neural net would be a dangerous and foolhardy endeavour.”
“Thank you” replied the grey haired man “I will talk to David.”

David sat in an office that was pure white. The only furniture in the room was a single, large chair that had a multitude of cables erupting from every surface and leading to various sockets on the wall behind it. There was no comfort in the room and every surface was cold, hard and devoid of features. David sat with his arms resting on the arms of the chair in a relaxed manner and he had his eyes closed. He wore a pure white morning suit with pure white, patent leather shoes. His socks were pure white as were his shirt and tie. He had the face of a middle aged man, with no facial hair. He wore a heavy looking, stainless steel helmet with wires connecting it to the chair and if he was to remove the helmet, it would be evident that he was an alopecia sufferer because he had no eye-brows, lashes or hair on his head. When the grey haired man entered the room, David’s eyes were closed and he had a slim smile on his lips.

“Welcome, Alpha” said a voice that echoed like a lost soul through the grey haired man’s mind “I can do as you wish… it will provide no obstacles to me.”
“Thank you, David” replied the grey haired man. There was a pause before David said “I have access; what do you wish me to say?”
“I would like you to say ‘good evening’ to control” said the grey haired man “and I would like you to follow its progress, David.”
“As you wish, Alpha” replied David and there was a pause before he continued “sector 21, sub-section delta, subterranean to a depth of six hundred metres… that is where the neural database is.”
“What about control? Are you able to locate him?” asked the grey haired man.
“Sector 58, sub-section hotel” replied David slowly and purposefully. He smiled thinly before saying “it is a surprising location. I bid you farewell, Alpha.”
“Thank you David” replied the grey man and he left the room and David to his reverie.
“We have you now” he thought.
“It is early days, Alpha” said a voice in his mind “patience will prove a powerful ally.”
“Delay will spoil our advantage” replied the grey haired man.
“He knows we will strike. You have alerted him to our investigation” said the voice.
“All the more reason for us to act quickly and decisively” thought the grey haired man.
“You will accept responsibility” said the voice.
“I would be honoured to” replied the grey haired man.
“Then do as you must” replied the voice before silence returned.
“Assistant!” shouted the grey haired man and in moments a man arrived at his side. “I want nano-shredders delivered to Sector 58, sub-section hotel” said the grey haired man.
“Yes, sir” answered the assistant and he arranged it to happen on his cuff unit. A few seconds later the assistant was disturbed by a beeping from his cuff. He opened a channel and a voice said “are you sure you want to do this, sir? It is a sport stadium and there is a pain-ball match on as we speak… the Grymnlords versus the Beaverbrook Bashers.”
The assistant looked at the grey haired man who had stopped in his tracks and was smiling.
“I don’t think the shredders will be appropriate… do not deploy them” said the grey man “instead, I want satellite imagery of every Grymn at the stadium, including the players. I want ticket lists, I want payment details and I want names and addresses of all of them.”
“You heard the boss” said the assistant into his cuff.
“I’ll get a team on it immediately, sir” replied the voice before signing off.
“It appears that my nemesis enjoys sport” said the grey haired man “I hope he is up to the challenge.” He waved his assistant away before casually strolling to his office.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:40:04 AM by Inso »

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 11:37:40 AM »
The education 8

“Sir, there are more calls” said the assistant.
“More of the same?” asked the grey haired man.
“I am afraid so” replied the assistant.
“I think it is time for us to arrange for a little demonstration of our displeasure” said the grey haired man “I suggest The Daily Post office building at 13:00hrs on Friday. If I have any more calls simply tell them the details and tell them to await further details.”
“Yes, sir” replied the assistant and he left the room.
“I will remind these curs who they are dealing with” thought the grey haired man.
“Is that wise” said a voice in his mind.
“That is irrelevant” thought the grey haired man “it is necessary; that is all.”
“There will be repercussions” replied the voice.
“We will deal with them” thought the grey haired man. He opened his comms and requested a tech. A few seconds later a tech answered the call.
“Sir, you requested my services?” asked the tech.
“Yes” replied the grey haired man “I want you to eliminate the Daily Post office building in a bright display of power. What can you suggest?”
“Hmmm…we could use an explosive device with a plasma core” suggested the tech “but we would need to get a large device into the building to fully destroy it… and nano-shredders would work but wouldn’t make a big statement… what about our anti-missile satellites?”
“Do you mean the military satellites? I was not aware that we had any anti-missile satellites of our own” said the grey haired man.
“Yes, sir… but I thought that, seeing as we own the military, they were ours” replied the tech.
“Yes… so what do you suggest?” asked the grey haired man.
“Arrange for four satellites to converge in orbit above the target and at the prescribed time, fire their high intensity, microwave beams at the base of the tower” said the tech “the beauty of this is that there will be no visible beam and no initial clue as to why the building was destroyed.”
“That sounds satisfactory” replied the grey haired man.
“If we focus the beams correctly, we will get a decent explosion and the beam will act on the falling debris as well” said the tech “cooking everything as it falls and feeding the flames.”
“That sounds perfect” said the grey haired man “you have my authority to continue with this plan… I will send the necessary details shortly.”
“Yes, sir” replied the rather cheerful tech “thank you.”
“This will show the fools that our organisation is not to be trifled with” thought the grey haired man.
“Are you sure this is completely necessary?” asked a voice in his mind.
“I am” thought the grey haired man.

“I have made the necessary arrangements” thought the smartly dressed Grymn “control has passed on and I will terminate my neural net once I have finished here.” There was a pause before he thought “The Father is with us.”
“The Father is with us and will mark your tome accordingly” replied a voice in his mind.
The smartly dressed Grymn sat back in his comfortable, leather chair and drained the glass of vintage brandy before pressing a small red button on the arm of the chair. He closed his eyes and pressed the back of his neck against the small circular panel on the chair head-rest. Immediately a small needle fired into his neck and introduced a powerful neurotoxin laced with nano-bots. He died instantly and once his heart stopped, the nano-bots got to work on his neural net; dissolving any trace of it and then moving on to puree his corpse and contaminate the DNA so that it couldn’t be traced.

The responsibility of control had passed on.

“Harlequin” said a voice in Aria’s mind “be watchful.”
Aria woke with a start and couldn’t decide whether she had been contacted or was dreaming. The voice was unfamiliar so she assumed it was a dream but decided to check her apartment anyway. It was dark; about two in the morning, so she threw on an optic enhancer and carefully checked each room. There was nothing unusual so she carefully checked outside and was immediately concerned. On the other side of her street, there was a police vehicle with a policeman resting on the bonnet. He was looking towards her apartment and judging by the ride height of the vehicle, he was not alone.
“Feth” she thought and quietly dressed as quickly as she could. She then locked herself in her panic room and donned her specialist kit before opening the trap door and dropping down the reinforced chute. It wasn’t an unpleasant drop but she wished that she had more time to prepare. There was additional equipment at the end of the drop but it was emergency kit that was new and not necessarily as familiar as some of her usual stuff. At the end of the drop, she picked up the webbing, put it on and gathered together a few other items before climbing into the pod that filled the rest of the small chamber. She closed it, tapped in the emergency code and held on tight as it dashed away with her safely inside. After a few minutes, the pod slowed and stopped, allowing her to exit. She did so and walked to the speeder that was parked nearby in the warehouse. She climbed inside, fired up the engines and opened the warehouse doors remotely before slowly leaving so as not to raise any suspicions. In the distance she heard a detonation and smiled; her apartment should have taken care of the intruders with that sound.
“Off to the safe-house” thought Aria.
“There will be someone waiting for you there” said a voice in her mind.
“In a bad way?” she thought.
“No, one of our operatives” replied the voice.
“What for?” asked Aria but there was no reply.

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »
Let's hope humans get rid of all that grymn scum... muahahahaha
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »
What if this has nothing to do with Grymn... or humans for that matter?