Author Topic: Grymn Fluff - Grav Bikes.  (Read 10743 times)

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Grymn Fluff - Grav Bikes.
« on: February 18, 2013, 12:00:51 PM »
Grav Bikes.

Brandlin ran towards his grav-bike while he continued to fasten his helmet. The alarms were persistent and he knew that this wasn’t a drill. As he ran he could see many other Grymn doing likewise and could already see some of the smaller bikes lifting into the air and speeding off. A few seconds later he had deftly leapt into the cockpit of his heavier grav-bike and started up the systems.
“Come-on old girl” said Brandlin as he watched the head-up display (HUD) come to life and began the engine start procedure. He looked to his left and right and could see that there were only the older, almost obsolete, heavy grav-bikes left on the dispersal. After a couple of seconds, the engines roared to life and the grav-bubble expanded around the base of the bike. It lifted gracefully off the ground and Brandlin raised the bike higher into the air and slammed the cyclic stick forward to get his speed up whilst raising the collective to maintain height.
“Crow Squadron, this is control. Report to sector seven and support the ground troops, over” said the comms.
“Control, this is Crow 6, Roger… out!” replied Brandlin.
He instinctively went through the remainder of his pre-flight checks and was happy that everything that he was forced to miss on the ground was running smoothly. He had two full rocket pods and a mini-gun with a full ammunition load so he was confident that, when he arrived, he would be able to assist the troops on the ground; even if he was equipped with an older, less effective weapon system.
“I’d rather be flying you than one of those… sports bikes” he said aloud as he slapped the instrument console. He smiled inwardly, knowing that he had flown over ninety highly successful missions in his current flier and had never had so much as a scratch on the paint-work. Brandlin checked the HUD and could see that sector seven was approaching so he did what he called a twitch; a controlled check of all flying controls which caused the grav-bike to pause in flight and rotate through all axis’ briefly before continuing its journey.
“Crow 6 this is Crow leader” said the comms “report for standard delta formation, out.”
Brandlin did as he was commanded and joined the rest of his squadron. He was tip of the tail on the left wing so he was more defensive than a lot of the other members. He took being a wing-Grymn very seriously and was proud to say that he had never lost a fellow flier who was under his protection.
“Crows, maintain formation and prepare for attack” said the comms “watch and shoot, watch and shoot. Out.”
This was it. The formation had dropped to 200 feet and Brandlin could see on the HUD that there were friendly troop formations up ahead and they were under a serious bombardment. He could also see the smaller grav-bikes whizzing all over the sky above the troops; evading enemy fliers whilst trying to bring them down. Brandlin snapped out of his reverie and focussed on the task at hand. The sports bikes were there to keep the enemy fliers busy whilst the Crows took out the artillery at the rear of the enemy position.
“Crows, stay focussed” said the comms “target, 2 clix. Watch for flack. Out.”
Brandlin looked down as he flew over the heads of the friendly Grymn. They were fighting for their lives against a large force of Bohkin and they were forced to deal with an artillery bombardment at the same time. It always amazed Brandlin that the Bohkin were quite happy to carry on shelling an area that had their own troops in.
A couple of seconds later the crack of explosive detonations started to be heard around the Crows and in a bright explosion, Crow 2 fell from the sky. Brandlin switched to his targeting and range-finding screen and began the attack. First he used rockets to disable the artillery pieces. He then fired up his mini-gun and began to strafe the area that contained the most troops. His wing-Grymn was leading the way and Brandlin was mopping up what was left.
“Crows, reform and return to MOB” said the comms.
“Was that it?” thought Brandlin but when he checked his ammunition state he could understand why. He was down to his last two hundred rounds and had no rockets left. At least they had managed to disable most of the artillery and would be returning for a second go. As they screamed over the troops below, Brandlin wished that he could stay and help but it was no use. His bike wasn’t equipped like the newer models. They had pulse-weapons that could fire indefinitely as long as they had a power source and the new bikes had an extremely efficient power generation system that could keep them in the fight for up to five hours at a time. All Brandlin could do was watch as he flew overhead.

The return trip was more uneventful and the Crows didn’t lose any members but finished off the job of destroying the artillery. When they arrived at sector seven there were no enemy fliers left and only a small amount of Grymn fliers but those that were left were busy strafing ground targets and making the Bohkin’s troops suffer for their audacity.

After the battle, there was the usual de-brief but afterwards, all of the heavy grav-bike personnel were kept behind.
“I am sure that you are more than aware that the Mk1 heavy grav-bike is a tired old beast and her weaponry is passed its best” said the senior officer at the front of the room “well, the time has come to change and as a result, we have decided that an upgrade program would not provide the required punch within the given budget… so we will be moth-balling them and replacing them with a different model.”
There were a few mumbles around the room before the officer continued.
“The newer model will be smaller, faster and will carry a mix of rockets, pulse weaponry and the latest, state of the art autonomous missile systems” said the officer “The bikes will arrive in a couple of months but in the meantime, the Mk1 will be put into storage and the unit prepared to receive the new models.”
“What about training and conversion?” asked one of the pilots.
“Simulators are already here and it will be a simple task of transferring your current skills to a very similar replacement” replied the officer “we also have two of the new model grav-bikes to familiarise yourselves with in the meantime.”
“Will we all have to convert or are the squadrons getting cut?” asked another pilot.
“The squadrons will be increased in number from 70 to 120 bikes” replied the officer “welcome to the new world!”
Brandlin slumped in his chair. He was going to loose his beloved grav-bike and have to get used to something that, quite frankly, he had no wish to.

There were going to be some interesting times ahead.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:32:16 PM by Inso »
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
Re: Grav Bikes.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »
O.o

"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 01:33:10 PM »
:mrgreen:
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:00:47 PM »
Grav Bikes 2.

The throng of pilots gave away the position of the new arrival to the hangar and Brandlin slowly made his way towards it. As he approached he could hear the pilots talking excitedly amongst each other.
“That is a beauty” said one of the pilots “it looks much quicker… not as much protection though” said another “I’ll never get my leg over that” said a pilot with a prosthetic leg.
Brandlin stood at the back of the throng and caught a few glimpses of the new grav-bike and he was quite surprised to see that it was a lot smaller than what he was used to. He pushed forwards to get a better view and his heart fell; it was only slightly bigger than one of the ‘sports-bikes’ that the dog-fighters flew. It was effectively a beefed up version of the fighter and that meant that instead of sitting inside a pod-like cockpit, you had to sit on it and ride it… just like a motorcycle. It had an aerodynamic, yet bulky, front end with a pulse-cannon that was built to run through the bike itself. Either side of the front fairing were small stub wings with pylons to mount a pair of stores; either rocket pods or missiles. A pair of handlebars were tucked behind an armoured windscreen and fairing and behind them was a rather basic looking seat and a sleek tail that housed a pair of thrusters. At various positions around the bodywork were additional position thrusters and airbrakes; accompanied by the usual warning decals. This particular grav-bike was painted in Gloss white paint with day-glow stripes.
“What do you reckon old man?” asked a civilian who had appeared behind Brandlin. He was smartly dressed and well spoken with a cheery disposition.
“It looks very modern” replied Brandlin uncertainly.
“It out performs the model it replaces in every aspect” said the man “it can even have an ‘over-the-top’ protective screen for inclement weather… but the military hasn’t procured that.”
“That’s handy then” replied Brandlin flatly.
“Right! Listen in people” shouted an officer at the front of the group “I’d like to introduce you to the designer of the Harrier medium grav-bike, Mr. Pega Whittle.”
There were a few claps and the smartly dressed man Brandlin was talking to went to join the officer at the front.
“First of all I’d like to apologise to you all” said the man “the Harrier is not at all like your old bikes. It is unfamiliar, modern and at the moment, probably a daunting change for you.” Pega continued “Well I can’t hand you memories and I can’t hand you past successes. What I can hand to you is the opportunity of building future successes and the memories that go along with them” he paused for a moment before he said “the Harrier medium grav-bike is faster, more manoeuvrable, better armed and better equipped than the Mk1 and is a vast improvement in terms of what you have become accustomed to.”
There was silence so Pega continued “It has a more efficient power system that not only enables a crash start in less than five seconds but is able to give the Harrier an active duration of five hours. That means that for five hours you can fly at combat speed and fire your primary weapon at optimal power.”
Pega stepped up to the bike, leant towards the handlebars and flicked a single switch. With a whine, the engine spun up and in a couple of seconds, the grav-bubble had spread beneath the bike and lifted it a few inches clear of the ground.
“Hmmm… I make that four seconds” said Pega “You will notice that the engine is quieter than the Mk1’s  and once it is fired up, the Harrier’s stabilisation system holds the bike still to enable the bike to be pre-started before the pilot arrives. That means you can be airborne even quicker.”
There were a few mumbles amongst the watching pilots but Pega continued.
“In addition to the weapon systems, there are anti missile flares, smoke dispensers to aid ground troops and also a highly advanced electronic warfare package including jammers, IFF and a wide range of secure communication systems” Pega opened his jacket and removed a small bottle of water which he sipped from “It can be fuelled with standard GT fuels and a range of other alternatives. Our team of technicians will be carrying out all maintenance until your ground-crews have been properly trained… which should take about three weeks.”
“When can we have a go on one?” asked one of the younger pilots.
“That’s the spirit!” replied Pega brightly “there will be a two week simulator training package prior to taking the Harrier out for real but during the training period there will be ample time to familiarise yourselves with the actual vehicle because we are shipping in a dozen training models as we speak.”
“What happens if there is the need for a ground strafing aircraft in the meantime?” asked Brandlin “moth-balling the Mk1 seems a little premature.”
“Indeed” said the officer who had stepped forward to answer “air support missions will be dealt with by the Tiger Squadrons.”
“WHAT!?” asked an incredulous Brandlin “jump-pack squadrons?”
“Yes… and their Pillums of course” replied the officer.
“Good luck to them” said Brandlin. To him it was like giving someone a fork to eat soup with… completely inappropriate for the task.
“Any other questions?” asked the officer. There were none so he then said “please check the roster on the wall over there. Your names are on it and there are copies to take away with you. Training starts at 09:00hrs tomorrow and you report to delta shed.”
Everyone made their way towards the roster apart from Brandlin. He stood and stared at the Harrier with a mix of hatred and resignation written across his face. Pega noticed and put a helmet on before throwing his leg over the bike “It will grow on you, I promise” he said with a grin. He then looked forward as a clamp secured him around the waist, twisted the hand-grip and slowly hovered to the hangar doors. Brandlin watched as he reached the doors, looked in all directions before leaping into the sky as quickly as any dog-fighter Brandlin had ever seen. Brandlin sighed and walked over to the roster. As he did so, he noticed a group of ground-crew unloading a transport. As they unloaded, they spread the items out on the floor and it was plain to see that they were storage bags for the old Mk1s.
“It is really happening” thought Brandlin sadly “they really are getting rid of the Mk1s.”
With a sigh he walked over to the roster and picked up a copy from the desk. He noted the fancy picture on the top of the sheet and the office he had to go to the following day but he felt deflated.
“Cheer up, Branner!” said Inso; a rather excitable chap with a bit of a death-wish and a full head of grey/white hair “it means that we’ll be able to get stuck-in quicker.”
“Hmmm” replied Brandlin.
“Once you get a flight or two, you’ll change your mind” replied Inso “there is nothing like throwing your leg over a bike and feeling the rush of wind through your hair.”
“I’ll take your word for it” replied Brandlin and he walked off towards his billet.
“See you tomorrow, mate” said Inso “we’re training partners.”
“The Father help me” thought Brandlin as he left the hangar and walked across the dispersal.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:28:06 PM by Inso »

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 03:16:57 PM »
:lol: :applause:
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 04:58:10 PM »
Grav Bikes 3.

“STOP!” shouted the simulator technician “stop the machine!” He stormed along the gantry and almost tore the door from its hinges in his haste to enter the simulator. Once he was inside, all you could hear from outside were raised voices.
“At what point did I give you clearance to barrel roll?!” shouted the technician “You know the procedures and this is a fething training booth!”
“Oh come on, Farley” replied Inso “You know I can fly this thing with my eyes closed… I need to have a bit of fun.”
“Stick to the program or I will have to fail you” replied Farley “and the way you crashed into the barn on day one is testament to your claim of flying blind-folded!”
“Don’t be like that” said Inso with a broad grin “sign me up and I’ll be out of your hair.”
“Repeat program seventy two… and this time, NO AEROBATICS!” shouted Farley as he stormed out of the simulator; slamming the door behind him.
“Don’t you get bored with all this?” asked Inso.
“I am just here to do my simulator time, get the job done and be on my way” said Brandlin.
“It is so frustrating” said Inso as he re-started the program “Ready to run, Farley.”
“Carry on and make sure you follow the procedures” replied Farley through the comms.
The bike simulator fired up and Inso got on with the task. Brandlin could sit and watch because he had already completed the day’s requirements and was up to programme eighty.
“Just ten more programmes to go and I will be getting some bike time” thought Brandlin “Fantastic” he said aloud sarcastically.

“Well done to all of you” said the commanding officer (CO) “I am both happy and more than a little proud that the whole squadron passed the simulator tests so easily” he paused for a moment before saying “including those who were trying their hardest to make their lives difficult.” He looked directly at Inso who just grinned at him.
“Tomorrow, you all get the opportunity to try your hand on the Harrier for real” said the CO “I trust that you will treat the new equipment with the utmost care and will, under no circumstances, carry out any aerobatics” He paused before finishing “aerobatics will get you grounded and you will have to repeat the simulator training.”
Inso sighed and realised that he had to be a little sensible for now. Brandlin just smiled at him with a knowing smile.

Brandlin dressed in his flight gear and picked up his helmet before leaving the survival equipment section and walking over to the newly refurbished flight hangar. When he arrived he was shown to a briefing room where he found a dozen or so other pilots and a pair of instructors. Due to the amount of planning that had been necessary to get the newly equipped squadron airborne, Brandlin was stuck with Inso as his training partner.
“Right then” said one of the instructors “you know me and Kirby so introductions aren’t necessary. Each pair will be given bikes and will work with their allotted instructors. You will be familiarised with the bike properly before you take to the air and you will effectively repeat the simulator programs on the real bikes.”
“Obviously, there will be slight differences but we will expect the same levels of discipline and professionalism that was required in the simulators” said Kirby “I will be extremely upset if there are any deliberate diversions from the required path.” Kirby stood up and flexed his highly muscular arms “I am sure you understand” he said.
“Jaxx, Levi… you’re one and two” said Dyson; the other instructor “Brandlin, Inso… three and four.” The list continued until everyone was numbered and they all went out into the hangar to start the live training.

Each of the pairs of bikes had an instructor (with a third bike) waiting for them, apart from bikes three and four. Brandlin and Inso walked over to them and Inso was nearly knocked over when someone slapped his back from behind.
“I don’t think I’ll get any trouble from you, now will I?” asked Kirby as he walked between the bikes and took up a similar position to the other instructors. Inso grinned broadly but said nothing. He and Kirby were friends but he knew that when he was instructing, he was not to be messed with.
“I’m not going to teach you to suck eggs” said Kirby “so I’m going to ask you both a number of questions and if I get the right answers, we’ll take the bikes out for a short dash… okay?”
“Sounds good” said Inso. Brandlin remained impassive.
Kirby retrieved a small laser pointer from his pocket and used it to point out various items on the Harrier. He flashed questions between Brandlin and Inso and after he was satisfied that they knew what they were talking about, he stowed the pointer and told them to prepare for flight.
“Mount up and let’s get into the bubble” said Kirby and he swung a leg over “Just fire up the systems and remain stationary… get your bearings.”
Inso leapt on board his bike and after a brief switch check, fired up the systems. Brandlin climbed aboard his bike in a more sedate manner. He also fidgeted around in his seat for a few moments before he fired up the systems. A few seconds later, all of the Harriers were sitting about four inches above the ground on an anti-gravity bubble.
“If you are happy, gentlemen…shall we proceed?” asked Kirby “follow me and I want one of you on each side with five metre spacing.”
“Right you are, Kirby” said Inso.
“That will be call-sign Reaper one, to you” replied Kirby “Inso, you are Reaper two and Brandlin, you are Reaper three.”
“Roger” replied the pair of trainees.
The three Harriers travelled to the hangar doors at walking pace. As soon as they started to move, the waist clamps locked into position and Brandlin instantly missed the comfort of his old Mk1. Once the three of them had reached the doors, they checked all around for clear space and after Kirby had confirmed clearance from air traffic control he simply said “Reapers, on me” before twisting the throttle and shooting into the air. Brandlin and Inso were caught unawares but quickly followed suit. Brandlin looked over to Inso and could see the fierce grin on his face. He hoped that he would be sensible today. Momentarily, Inso and Brandlin joined Kirby at the required position and spacing and Kirby told them that he was going to just fly about and perform some simple manoeuvres and he expected them to follow in formation. They both replied positively and once they had, Kirby began to carry out some turns, climbs and dives with a few braking manoeuvres to get them used to the characteristics of the Harriers. Inso and Brandlin followed suit and for a couple of hours, kept pace with Kirby before the three of them returned to the hangar for debriefing. Brandlin was surprised at how easy the Harrier was to fly and although he didn’t like the riding position, he had gained a grudging respect for the vehicle. Inso was just grinning from ear to ear. “I can’t wait to be let loose” he said.

The following few days were much the same. Each day Kirby gathered the pair of them at their bikes, asked a bunch of questions and then took them out flying. The flying was getting more demanding each day and the flying time was getting longer. By the end of the week, Kirby agreed that they were ready for the next stage and they moved over to the range. Now things became more interesting because the Harriers would be armed and would be required to carry out various training sorties; each of which had to be correctly planned and documented as if they were real missions. Brandlin was in his element and planned with meticulous precision while Inso did what he had to and looked forward to the flying. By the end of that week they were deemed fit for operational status and given a harrier badge for their flight suits.
“You two, report to the CO” said Kirby “I believe he has something to ask you both.”

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 05:26:36 PM »
 :applause: Great story Inso how do you come up with these so quickly. 
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
It's just one of those things.

Before I started it, I knew how it ended and how I was going to get there :)

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 07:27:01 PM »
Hey inso. Sorry I didn't reply longer to your first episode I wasn't able to spend long.

I've read and enjoyed all three episodes though.

Pegasus whittle the designer! ;)
Harriers eh? :)

I have to say though that a story about giving up your 'sit-in' grav bike for a fancy schmancy new one is inspired. I'd prefer to have had the old model to play with though :(

I'm guessing the CO wants to see us because we are going to top gun! Yeah baby!
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:40:33 PM »
Nope. He wants to see us because...

...you'll find out later :D

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 07:41:55 PM »
No one has 'picked up' on the instructors' names yet... they just haven't 'picked up' on the names at all... :D

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 09:09:48 AM »
Grav Bikes 4.

When Brandlin and Inso entered the CO’s office there were two other pilots already there.
“Welcome, shut the door” said the CO after the requisite paying of compliments “good. Take a seat.”
All four of them did as they were instructed and the CO sat on the edge of his desk and faced them.
“You are the first four to finish the Harrier training and as such you will be granted the honour of performing the fly-past at the release to service parade. This fly-past will consist of a single diamond four with the lead and tail Grav-bikes being the old Mk1 and the flanking ones the Harrier” said the CO “I have chosen Brandlin and Inso to fly the Mk1s with Roman and Doig to fly the Harriers. Are there any questions?”
“Sir, with respect, why have I been chosen for the Mk1? I am more than fluent with the new Harrier and would…”
“Son, you have been chosen because I decided you would fly the Mk1 and unless you do not want to receive the honour, I suggest you remain quiet on the matter” the CO interrupted “are there any sensible questions?”
“Will we be flying our own Mk1s or will we get pool bikes?” asked Brandlin.
“In order for you to be the most comfortable and familiar with the bikes you will be flying, you will be using your own Mk1s. We don’t have a lot of time for you to get used to the quirks of the ones from pool” replied the CO.
“Will there be a brief or is there just a pack-up?” asked Doig.
“There is just a pack-up… it is a simple fly-past so it will be up to you to get some practice in and follow the directions and timings in the pack-up” replied the CO. He looked around and when no further questions were received, he handed out the bound files and wished them well.

On the day of the RTS parade, the four pilots gathered in the hangar and carried out pre-flight checks on their bikes. They quickly noticed that they had been cleaned and highly polished by the ground-crew over night and when they went to check over the bikes, they were escorted by a corporal who was there to take notes in case any defects were found. The bikes had been exceptionally well presented and the four pilots passed on their thanks and praise to the corporals before sending them on their way.

“Here we go then” said Brandlin and he fastened his helmet in place and climbed into the cockpit of his Mk1 for the final time. Each of the pilots did the same and began the start-up procedure. As was expected, the Harriers fired up quickly and the two Mk1s took a bit longer but in a couple of minutes all four were ready to exit the hangar. As was usual in these circumstances, there was a line of marshallers dressed in white coveralls and day-glow vests and cuffs to escort the four bikes from the hangar. Brandlin gave the thumbs up and the hangar doors slid open to reveal a crowd of on-lookers, photographers and family members. The nearest marshaller raised his hands in the air and began to wave the bikes out of the hangar before passing the duty to the next marshaller and so on. The sun was shining and the sky was clear blue when the four bikes emerged and continued to follow the direction of the marshallers. All around them the crowd was cheering and Brandlin felt full of pride. In a few minutes, the four bikes had formed a diamond on the dispersal and Brandlin checked his watch before requesting clearance from the air traffic tower. Once clearance was given, he checked his watch and said into his microphone “diamond formation, this is diamond one. Prepare to lift on my mark…MARK.”
As one, the four bikes lifted into the air with the finest of precision before slowly departing the airfield. The paint of their polished surfaces sparkled in the glorious sunshine and Brandlin thought they must have looked superb from the ground.
“Diamond formation, this is diamond one. Stay in formation and follow me to the RV point, out.” Said Brandlin and the four grav-bikes departed the airfield and sped off across the countryside.

A couple of hours later, the parade had formed and the crowds had gathered. There was a general salute for the Grymn high-commander who was the main guest and after the speeches, the last post was played. The diamond four appeared at the edge of the airfield on the first note and slowly over-flew the parade with Brandlin at the front, Inso at the tail and the Harriers either side. As soon as the Harriers reached the end of the parade ground, they peeled away from the two Mk1s, leaving them to continue away from the airfield while they doubled back and overflew the parade again.

The Take-post was played and the parade marched off.

That was the last operational flight of the Mk1 grav-bike.

The Harriers had received the baton and would now have to forge their own honour roll in the field of Grymn airborne combat.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:31:43 AM by Inso »

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »
... and Brandlin gunned the engine of his bike, leaving inso to wobble in a wake of bubble-splash as he disappeared over the horizon.

He wasn't giving up on the mk1. No Siree! It was his. All his. And no one was taking it away from him. Ever.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 11:03:14 AM »
I did think about doing that but the Brandlin character seemed to be a reliable and rule-abiding chap... now Inso doing it may have been believable but he's happy to ride the newer bike...

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 11:05:23 AM »
Yes, I agree. But a grymn can only take so much you know. We all have our breaking points.

I wantses my preciousssss.

Oops sorry, genre cross over there.

It's been a long five year wait...

:blub:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:11:43 AM by Brandlin »

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »
To be honest that bike was wonderful, likely the best one ever sculpted.

My only concern would be that the heavy machine pod seems too big.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 04:01:47 PM »
Bear in mind that there is a tail to be fitted to the pictured bike and I believe there was talk of stub-wings but I am not sure. That would possibly balance things out a bit.

I like the old design but the windscreen always bothered me. It looks odd without glass fitted but casting a clear screen would be a nightmare. I'd love to see it finished but I also like the newer design so I am easy. I also have far too many walkers to paint to worry about grav-bikes at the moment :)

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 05:27:26 PM »
I recon I could vac mold a windshield. Getting accurate measurements would be the hardest bit.

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »
A clear screen could be made with clear resin. If the Grey Matter guys pulled the clear Tomoko and Isseki, surely a windscreen should be doable. The biggest concern would be the thickness of the piece, as it'd be thin and, so, fragile.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 12:44:06 AM »
No, the biggest concern would be the cost.
In the war-torn darkness of the future, there is only Grymn.

Deep Space Nine: Officially not as good as Stargate.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 05:01:23 AM »
Include a template, and get the buyer to cut the windscreen out of the bubble-pack?

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 07:18:13 AM »
It's a double curve. You would need to bend the plastic over a spoon or something... far too tricky.

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »
Would it be terribly hard to change the 'bike' so it's a single curve?

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »
... or fill in the screen area with an opaque screen... ie. putty. The shape of the window orifice whould also make creating a clear screen very difficult.

I remember having this conversation before...

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 09:17:13 PM »
Kev - ignore the ney-Sayers, the pessimists and the stuck in the MUDs.

You sculpt the bike and cast it. Let those of us that want to buy it sort the aftermarket screen upgrade kit!