Author Topic: WIP Heresy Plastics Project  (Read 35050 times)

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
Re: WIP Heresy Plastics Project
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 02:56:29 PM »
Glad you seem to be having some good news Andy.
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline Big Boris

• aka Andy Foster, Heresy Miniatures Owner/Prisoner
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • Dragon Slayer. At last.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heresyminiatures.com
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »
Potentially, at least. I've learned not to get too carried away when it comes to things that might happen or might not! It all rather revolves around me being able to sculpt stuff to support the plan though...

Offline Enazel

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 03:17:36 PM »
I hope it works out, and Plastic Troopers I would buy a some at least. :)

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 08:04:36 PM »
so the goblins are still to be made from metal then !
still need at lest 4 20 fig units of the infantry  :lol:
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 09:16:46 PM »
Goblins down the line, but if the big spiders get made, they might get bumped up... They need all new bodies etc which is why they aren't on that list; it's mainly stuff that can use the same underlying skeleton.

That said, I do plan non-human skeletons...

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 02:35:32 AM »
At the moment, my list of things to do in plastic is:

Primary interest:
Dark Brethren
:tears: I loves me lead worm buddies.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2012, 02:52:10 AM »
Machine intelligence sounds absolutely awesome. I want everything on that list!!!! So if a KS gets going I'll be backing for sure.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 03:30:24 AM »
At the moment, my list of things to do in plastic is:

Primary interest:
Dark Brethren
:tears: I loves me lead worm buddies.

But I won't get in the way and get smashed flat by the machine intelligence of positive progress.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 09:26:55 AM »
Honestly, that list is so flexible it's ridiculous. the slightest serendipitous mistake could see whole ranges suddenly initiated. Eg by Sunday evening the muscly torso made me really, really want to sculpt loads of things I had no intention of doing on Saturday morning.

Offline Bergil

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »
is this going to be a kick starter?

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 12:13:33 PM »
Most likely, yes. On account of plastic sprues costing around 40k +20% VAT for a set of two very similar sprues but second one with eg command parts replacing one section of the first sprue.

Offline Bergil

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »
Sound slike it could be exciting, might be worth coming up with some sketches and including the work already produced to get a kick starter going and test the water. See if it's worth it sort of thing?

Anyway, hope it works out well.

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »
im of the outher opinion, in that i think Andy is better off getting as much done as possible then going to Kickstarter, for the final cash injection for the actual Pantographing/ scanning reduction and mold making, so that its a short sharp action, as I dought Andy wants it hanging round his neck like the dragon did.
but as i said above decent plastic sci fi troopers, oh yes!
a happy dauber

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 04:40:41 PM »
My thoughts would be to get the Dragon sorted and finished with, before embarking on plastics... but sculpt all the three-ups you can while you are waiting. That way you can embark on the new project with a clear conscience and a refreshed sense of adventure :)

It will also provide some 'eye candy' when it comes to showing stuff off to get funding. Further more, having all the three-ups ready will mean that all of the preliminary stuff can be sorted so that getting them into production would be a smoother process.

The dragon is an expensive project but plastics will bury you if you aren't careful... and I wouldn't want to see that :(
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 09:11:34 PM »
 :metoo:
And there are also sooooo many miniature companies out there doing a KS at the moment. I don't know if that would help Andy's case or not. It may be worthwhile to wait until more people are used to the KS thing, then again it may be better to give it a go while everyone is really excited about KS.

Offline alrith72

• Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 10:30:12 PM »
My thoughts would be to get the Dragon sorted and finished with, before embarking on plastics... but sculpt all the three-ups you can while you are waiting. That way you can embark on the new project with a clear conscience and a refreshed sense of adventure :)

Have to agree with Inso. Going to sound a bit harsh but i wouldn't currently back a Heresy kickstarter (even if you (Andy) came up with a line of miniatures that knocked the competition into next week) due to the dragon situation. I would honestly struggle to have confidence in the project.

And just to clarify i'm not in the dragon queue so this is not a "where's my dragon" post just my honest opinion. Sorry.
Paintoff Results- Won-0 Lost-2 (D'oh!)

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2012, 09:32:29 AM »
That bloody dragon.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 09:53:55 AM »
1) Dragon = lesson learned the hard way. Not going to KS/whatever anything until the whole thing is ready to go. The Dragon was something I always thought was nearly finished, and wasn't. I put it up for deposits based on costs and projected production speeds that were nothing like the end cost or actual production speeds, and based on assumed sales figures that were 1/10th of the actual sales figures. Literally, I thought only about 30 people would want one, based on the Rackham sales figures for their huge dragon that a local firm were producing in resin. They had dozens of them sitting around unsold.

The Dragon bears no relation to anything else I've ever done or ever will do. Have you not noticed i don't even put WIP stuff up of regular figures any more in case I don't finish them? Because of the Dragon. Do I give definite dates for anything any more? No. Dragon.  Anyone who thinks I haven't learned from the Dragon must think I'm an utter tool, a brainless halfwit of the worst kind. Thankfully, they're incorrect in their assumption. The only reason I've put the plastics WIPs up is so that people can discuss them on here because the FOD is dying on its arse thanks to lack of input.

If and when I do say go on this project, I have definite aims in mind. The good thing about KS is that you don't get the money unless it gets funded, and thus there's no obligation on me if it all fails and no queue of people wondering where their stuff is. I wouldn't be sitting there saying, oh another 10k and we'll produce all these guys! if it wasn't actually the truth and I needed another 35k.  I suspect I would get enough to get one sprue, maybe two made. But don't kid yourselves into thinking that's all there is to this project. You could be seeing a whole new Heresy in the next 12 months, if I manage to get through the next four, that is. 

If this project were wildly successful, I could divert the excess funds to making Ian produce dragons full time for a month or two, problem sorted. The only thing between Dragons and people at this point is around 10,000 and a lot of man-hours casting. I don't feel like I can do what some people have suggested and have a KS for the Dragon itself. People have already paid. That needs to be sorted separately and will be. But if you think there's some magic way of getting the dragons without RAISING THE CASH BY OTHER MEANS, ie other projects, then do let me know what it is. Everything I do these days (and for the last 2 years at least) is dedicated to paying the mortgage and loans, paying the workshop rent and paying for Dragons, in that order.

So do not compare a plastics KS with the Dragon. The KS would not roll out unless the funds were there, and would not be started until the point where I've already been and chatted to the guys at Renadra about the parts that I'd already sculpted, got exact quotes on costs and schedules and worked out which bits would make the sprues and which wouldn't. And it wouldn't just be about the plastics. Can't say more until others have said they're on board and come up with the goods.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2012, 09:54:44 AM »
2) There is no two.

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2012, 10:34:41 AM »
with regard to my comments above Andy. i will freely admit id not noticed the no pre production / WIP shots thing,  now you point it out i can see it, and  wile a little disapointed that they wont be  / arnt there, i can whole hartedly understand why. 
I hope that i hadnt insinuated anything of the like for the 2nd half of the 2nd paragraph above, as i certainly didnt mean too.
a happy dauber

Offline Beastlord

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »
2) There is no two.
   :lol:

Excited about plastic skeletons from Heresy. Skeletal goblins etc is especially exciting! Interested to see how much they will turn out to cost.
Its "I couldn't care less"  :tantrum:

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
@Steel Penguin
It's a general comment, SP, not aimed at anyone in particular, and certainly not at you, you're one of my few regular customers and you waited years for your dragons without a single (easily justifiable) complaint. I should also clarify that I totally see why people might think what they think, but all I'm saying is they're actually mistaken to think so.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »
Excited about plastic skeletons from Heresy. Skeletal goblins etc is especially exciting! Interested to see how much they will turn out to cost.

Well, the plan would be 'a lot less than metal ones'! eg the Otherworld ones are 9.00 a pack of three. Which is completely right with current metal costs, sculpting costs casting costs etc but our little hobby has long since moved out of the realms of casual affordability which is why I' want to do some plastics in the first place. Anyone who backed the KS would certainly get a good deal...

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2012, 11:09:38 AM »
Andy, I think the tone of comments on here is plastics are a great idea and very good luck to you.

We also understand what a personal torment the dragon has become (only you, in the long run will be able to say whether the anguish was worth it... but to quote myselfy... 'tis a thing of beauty) and we all whole heartedly wish you well in you plastics endeavors.

The reason you haven't had complaints about the dragon is that it is worth the wait and people understand the numerous brick walls you have had to plough through... but I believe it will be a stick that people will beat you with if you start a kickstarter before you have put the dragon to bed. People will check out the background of the kick starter, will find out about the delays with the dragon and will be wary of investing... They will not necessarily be in the know, like we are on here and will inevitably jump to conclusions.

That is just my opinion and I mean it in the best of intentions.

I realise you must be fed up of hearing about the dragon... but I don't think it can be ignored when you are asking people to invest (even if there is no money up front until production) within a certain time-frame.

The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »
Yes, I understand that. But as I lie there quivering under the blows of the Dragonstick, I'll still be crying out, "This is the wrong stick!'.