Author Topic: 2012 SCULPTING COMPETITION  (Read 286114 times)

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 SCULPTING COMPETITION
« Reply #725 on: July 16, 2014, 09:49:58 PM »
Does anyone even use this forum anymore..?
Yes, quite often. This thread though is seeming a lost cause :(

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
    • PaintingPossum miniature painting
« Reply #726 on: July 16, 2014, 09:55:31 PM »
odd, I'm subscribed to the news letter and never saw that. Either way.... May 27th they posted going to the casters next week, so timelines aren't adding up.

I'm a very patient person but I have to say I'm pretty damned sick of waiting for  more nothing on this.

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #727 on: July 17, 2014, 01:18:04 AM »
I can understand your concern, and I also am disappointed this is still unfinished after two years.

The people running this (maybe four individuals) are all family business people, their companies often punch above their weight - but they have families to run as well as the business, which often involves a high risk of external events intervening with their ambitious plans. I don't think it's an excuse in the long run, but it is an explanation. How much leeway you grant them? A judgement call, I guess.

Offline Internalclock

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 17, 2014, 12:08:39 PM »
I check this thred daily :P and add the odd thumbs up when I see a nice paint job or sculpt :)

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 17, 2014, 12:16:46 PM »
don't you just subscribe and get an email if there's a reply? :P then you don't need to check.

Offline daeothar

• Lurker
  • si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes
    • View Profile
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #730 on: July 17, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »
I too check on a regular basis. Although the intervals have increased dramatically over the last year...

And that says it all really; last year. Not to step on anyone's toes (one has to be careful obviously), and I understand the basis of the organisation, the pressure and busy schedules, both professionally and personally, but two years is, in my book at least, unacceptable. And all niceties aside, I can't imagine I'm the only one.

I try to be graceful about it, but truth be told, I think it might be time to put the cards on the table and be honest about this. It's hard to believe that over the past two years, there has been no opportunity whatsoever to bring this entire ordeal to an acceptable end. And I find that not good business practice.

If the entire undertaking, which to me seems quite generous and ambitious on the part of Hasslefree, proved itself no longer feasible, then I think this should have been admitted and, in open discussion with the participants, brought to a conclusion. And judging by the friendly and nice atmosphere on this board, I don't think anyone would have objected. I certainly wouldn't have.

So, instead of keeping this entire thing in the Black and White workload, I would like to propose to just accept defeat and put closure to this, by simply returning the sculpts and leave it at that.

Of course, if investments have already been done, those should be considered , because it would naturally not do for Hasslefree to throw their money away.

Considering the friendly atmosphere here, and the understanding everyone has displayed so far, I know this post may seem quite harsh, but it's not meant that way. If anything, I intend my proposal to be helpful, as it does not look like Hasslefree will be able to conclude the contest as promised in the foreseeable future. A way out without losing face, if you will.

So, how do other people feel about this? Again; I do not want to start a flame war or heated discussion. I do not even want to point fingers. What I want to do is see if we can come to some sort of consensus on this, and help Hasslefree get this off their shoulders...
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep. Not screaming, like the passengers in his car...

Offline alrith72

• Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 17, 2014, 03:43:15 PM »
I have to agree really and I really hate to say it because I have only ever had good stuff to say about Hasslefree. Send the sculpts back, call it quits and have done with. I entered because we were originally going to get our sculpts cast, that changed and is no longer happening. I didn't go for the free armature option, paid for mine. I introduced a friend to Hasslefree via this competition, hate to say but he has no interest in spending anymore money with the company, only a small loss but still a loss.
 I'm the first to admit mine is a steaming pile of dog do but it's my steaming pile of dog do, if it cant be cast can I just have it back please? This is sadly becoming the Hasslefree equivalent of the Heresy Dragon
Paintoff Results- Won-0 Lost-2 (D'oh!)

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 17, 2014, 04:30:15 PM »
I guess I'd +1 that, too. I entered for the chance to get my own sculpts cast, which seems not likely to happen. Chose to pay for the armatures, too, in hopes it would help the burden Hasslefree were taking on.

As it really, at this point, just seems like something will never end as planned, I'd be happy with sculpts being returned just so I can have something I worked on on the shelf at least.

Offline Ironhammer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: July 17, 2014, 11:17:26 PM »
Huh, kind of odd that not having checked this thread in months, I should happen to pick the same day that everyone else is posting.

I hadn't seen the notification back in May that these were off to the casters, so for my own part I'm excited to see things coming along!!!

The overall timeframe aside, I'm not surprised it's been two months with no developments (in fact, what really surprised me was Artemis's post that it would only take one month and not longer).  If you consider the volume of output that Hasselfree usually puts out each month and compare that to the number of entries in this competition (I don't recall the exact number, but it was a LOT, like 80+), this comes out as a pretty darn big bunch of minis.  In fact, I don't think I've ever seen another company (besides someone like GW) come up with 80 new figures in a single month.   :jawdrop:

While agree that two years is a long time, we need to bear in mind that this is almost entirely at the expense (both money and time) of the Hasselfree team.  I bought my dollies too (and I consider the money well spent, even if it turns out that the minis don't get cast after all), but that expense to me is not nearly as much as the cost Hasselfree is going to to get these cast (most of which won't even be going into their store on the offchance that people will buy the figure).  The fact that I have to wait a while to get my figure cast for free really doesn't bother me that much, Kudos to Hasselfree for taking this thing on in the first place!   :notworthy:

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: July 18, 2014, 07:16:30 AM »
Hasslefree said, when I asked via facebook; 'Off to see the caster midweek, haven't been able to get over there as we were away.'

Didn't realise they'd been away since May 27th when they said more or less the same thing here but there you go. Hopefully this time it'll happen. =]

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: July 18, 2014, 09:04:14 AM »
So Long as I get my minis back eventually I'm not overly bothered.

Offline daeothar

• Lurker
  • si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes
    • View Profile
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #736 on: July 18, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »
Whilst I understand and respect your sentiments, I'm afraid I will have to disagree.

As I originally posted, I find it hard to believe that over the past two years, there has been no opportunity at all to finish off this contest. I fully agree that it's virtually philantrophic of Hasslefree to have set up this contest in the way they did, but I also believe that the overwhelming response caught them by surprise.

Additionally, most of the participants have been customers and even fans of Hasslefree's, so the perpetual postponing of the conclusion of the contest can eventually only hurt Hasslefree, when patience finally wears thin and disappointment sets in.

So, and apologies for sounding like a broken record, instead of dragging this along forever, trying to do it all and potentially alienate part of their customer base, I think it might be more beneficial for them to admit that this thing has grown too big, time consuming and expensive to be viable. Like I said; I don't think there will be any hard feelings amongst the contestants, as long as they get their sculpts back.

Of course the process might be too far along at this time to stop now, because of commitments made to the caster for instance. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, judging by the sporadic update posts, I don't think that's already the case.

In the end though, and this is my personal feeling, I think it's a case of commitment and drive, or else, the contest would already have been over and done. I'm not putting down Hasslefree's effort, zeal and commitment to the running and development of their regular business, but this contest, which had to be taken over by Artemis Black from Sally, must have been an extra burden with a low priority, after the changeover.

And therein lies my problem; it's Hasslefree as an entity which has committed itself to this contest, and it should have either taken the contest to its full conclusion within a reasonable timeframe, or have admitted that this was no longer feasible, and have found a way to stop the contest in a decent way, no matter who's been in control of the process.

Dragging it along for two years, you have to admit, is not pleasant for anyone involved. Not for Hasslefree, as they constantly have the huge workload and costs of the contest hanging over their heads, and not for the contestants, who have had to be patient for years now. I think a delay of several month, whatever the cause, would have been acceptable and even to be expected, but not two years...
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep. Not screaming, like the passengers in his car...

Offline Coenus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 27, 2014, 09:30:17 PM »
Another newsletter update..ish.

"There are some things that have to be finsihed up before the move, the first of which is the long-overdue sculpting competition. That's in the mouldmaking/casting phase so we are waiting to make an announcement on that."

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 28, 2014, 02:10:48 AM »
Saying  "That's in the mouldmaking/casting phase so we are waiting to make an announcement on that" sounds like an announcement lol. Good news though that it is in the moldmaking and casting phase. :)

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 28, 2014, 07:25:42 AM »
Saying  "That's in the mouldmaking/casting phase so we are waiting to make an announcement on that" sounds like an announcement lol. Good news though that it is in the moldmaking and casting phase. :)
:woohoo:

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 28, 2014, 08:57:17 AM »
Encouraging to hear, if even only as a snippet.

I'd assume they're holding off on an 'official' announcement until they've got a firm idea of which sculpts survived the casting and created viable molds so they can release a list of exactly what's going on, but that's just my best guess :P

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 28, 2014, 09:08:15 AM »
Yep, I'd have to agree with that. I don't have high hopes for mine. Oh well it was fun anyway.

Offline alrith72

• Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 06, 2014, 09:10:58 AM »

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 06, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »
 :lmao

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 06, 2014, 09:46:23 AM »
yeah...

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #745 on: September 07, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »
I wrote this off ages ago :)... I'm impressed at the tenacity still going on :D!

The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline alrith72

• Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 07, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
I'll happily write it off when I get my crappy sculpt back....

Offline No Head Ned

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 07, 2014, 04:39:22 PM »
I wrote this off ages ago :)... I'm impressed at the tenacity still going on :D!
Remember, this is the same crowd of people who are still sulking because Firefly got cancelled. :whistle:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:40:17 PM by No Head Ned »

Offline Coenus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 07, 2014, 10:02:54 PM »
Something at the end of the newsletter again...
We're heading over to our casters this coming week to check up on the sculpting contest moulds so will report back on their progress later in the week.

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #749 on: September 08, 2014, 12:08:47 AM »
Good to hear it's not forgotten.