Author Topic: 2012 SCULPTING COMPETITION  (Read 286115 times)

Offline Dethkor

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 SCULPTING COMPETITION
« Reply #625 on: October 01, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »
 :metoo: Voted without incident.

Offline Internalclock

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 02, 2013, 10:26:31 AM »
Is it just me or does it not say anywhere that you can vote for three in each catagory on the polls themselves?

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.artemisblacks.com
« Reply #627 on: October 02, 2013, 02:31:37 PM »
Is it just me or does it not say anywhere that you can vote for three in each catagory on the polls themselves?

Good point, Jenn agreed and fixed it :)

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 02, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »
I know this is going to come across as very cliche but..... I really like them. There are so many good sculpts this time 'round. I'm looking over them all having a very hard time narrowing down a selection. There are some that look really good. Some I think would cast up really well. Some I thin k it would be interesting and/or challenging to paint. There are so many different qualities that appeal to me about different sculpts that I'm sitting here trying to work out "what are my voting criteria?" I think, in the end, it's going to have to come down to if I want to own a particular miniature. To own it, paint it, and proudly display it on a gaming table or among my collection.

I'm kind of stumped. In at least two of the categories I want to vote for more than I'm allowed. I'm actually going to have to take some time and think this over before commiting to anything.
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 02, 2013, 07:29:59 PM »
Well I've finally narrowed down the fantasy section to about 9 or 10 I want to vote for. Time to be more discerning as I've managed to narrow it down to 3 in each of the other two categories. In fact I've called in second & third opinions on some of them. Not neccessarily to change my mind but rather to discuss the merrits of the various sculpts and to get different points of view. Two friends both immediately fixated on a sculpt that didn't appeal to me as much and, after some chit chat, I could see exactly what they liked about it. Always nice to have multiple points of view so I can better appreciate the sculptors' art.

Oh and hey, I'm not one of the official judges. If I'm this torn over some of them then imagine how much thought the actual judges are giving things.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:31:06 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: October 02, 2013, 08:41:52 PM »
I was in work today and so was able to cast my votes. Congrats to all concerned.
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Hellboy - "Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 02, 2013, 08:55:53 PM »
Oh bother. I've narrowed down the fantasy selection to four. Can't I just vote for four? You know, honourable mention and all that? Oh well, now I've got to think tactically and see who gets my vote.

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 02, 2013, 08:57:46 PM »
Just vote for me if you are undecided :)

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 02, 2013, 09:04:34 PM »

I honestly don't know which ones you sculpted mate although I could often spot the same sculptor's work across categories (for example, I really think that one model in the sci fi category was sculpted by the same person as one in the fantasy category (similar detail work) and of course I could spot the ubiquitous onesie collection :)).

I tell you what 'though, that sorceress with the really big "egg spoon staff" got my attention. I like the fact that the cloth draped over the top and wrapped around the length of the staff is a carricature of her own hood and face. I'd like to see a really talented painter paint the bulge within the staff's "hood" as a stylised version of the woman's face with her hair draped down across it again. Sort of like she needs to assert her dominant ego.

Care to pm me which ones you sculpted beefy?

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 02, 2013, 09:26:05 PM »
It wouldn't be fair to really so I won't :) I know some people may be getting every man and their dog to vote for their miniature but I won't go on a voting campaign. There are some absolutely awesome sculpts in there. I think whisper is my favourite. I think it is in the moderns. I also really like the one with the cracked mirror.

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 02, 2013, 11:13:57 PM »
It wouldn't be fair to really so I won't :) I know some people may be getting every man and their dog to vote for their miniature but I won't go on a voting campaign. There are some absolutely awesome sculpts in there. I think whisper is my favourite. I think it is in the moderns. I also really like the one with the cracked mirror.

Oh I've already finalised my votes so you can tell me now. (Privately so it doesn't influence anyone else). I wouldn't have made that post if I hadn't made up my mind about all of them.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 02, 2013, 11:52:37 PM »
Oh right. Sounds good.
Not sure if mine have a great chance to be honest. One I think is quite good but the other is a bit lacking.

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 03, 2013, 12:06:42 AM »
Oh right. Sounds good.
Not sure if mine have a great chance to be honest. One I think is quite good but the other is a bit lacking.

I know the feeling. I shared the voting link on Facebook, but also didn't identify which sculpt was mine. Frankly there's easily three (and the rest) better than mine in the category.
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Hellboy - "Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 03, 2013, 06:46:56 AM »
Once the voting's over I'll gladly share which ones I voted for provided I can remember it. There were at least 3 runners up that I wanted to vote for in the Fantasy category. Is there a way for me to go and see what I voted for? Probably not but I'll just have to jot it down on a piece of paper or something while I can remember it.

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 03, 2013, 07:29:48 AM »
For some reason I'd be interested to hear how many votes have been cast and what the lead is like without being told the minatures specifically. looking at the polls there were minatures in there that I swear I hadn't seen in the album. still totally riding this excitment train :D

Also, I recon you'll probibly do this anyway, but I hope when the results are in that there isnt a post with votes numbers next to minatures. I'd be really crushed seeing a 0 by any of my figures and wouldn't want that for anyone.

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 03, 2013, 01:50:01 PM »
For some reason I'd be interested to hear how many votes have been cast and what the lead is like without being told the minatures specifically. looking at the polls there were minatures in there that I swear I hadn't seen in the album. still totally riding this excitment train :D

Also, I recon you'll probibly do this anyway, but I hope when the results are in that there isnt a post with votes numbers next to minatures. I'd be really crushed seeing a 0 by any of my figures and wouldn't want that for anyone.

We won't be releasing actual figures, for mainly the reason you say (although almost certainly nobody will have 0 votes), we don't think anyone deserves to see their name next to last place. Entering at all required time and effort and they should be proud they did something.

The competition will be in this weeks newsletter so that will increase the votes further but my guess is that total votes for each category will be well into 4 figures by the end.

None of the prize winners in any of the 3 categories has an unassailable lead and in 2 of the categories I wouldn't put money on either the winner or second place.

That's the best I can do ;)

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 03, 2013, 02:39:13 PM »

We won't be releasing actual figures, for mainly the reason you say (although almost certainly nobody will have 0 votes), we don't think anyone deserves to see their name next to last place. Entering at all required time and effort and they should be proud they did something.

The competition will be in this weeks newsletter so that will increase the votes further but my guess is that total votes for each category will be well into 4 figures by the end.

None of the prize winners in any of the 3 categories has an unassailable lead and in 2 of the categories I wouldn't put money on either the winner or second place.

That's the best I can do ;)

Good enough for me  :smile:

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 07, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »

I can only apologise to the entrants for the fact that this weeks newsletter has been unavoidable delayed due to one of the sections on it turning into a 'much' bigger job than anticipated. Which means there won't be a newsletter for the contest. (Our only other option was to rush out a Sculpting contest only newsletter and we get some harsh penalties if anyone marks anything as spam and two newsletters so close together sometimes  irk people)

We have given it a nudge on our Facebook page (quoted below). We will 'definitely' give the results etc. a newsletter of it's own.

Anyway...

Voting ends tonight at Midnight on this so if you haven't voted yet please remember to do so. None of the prizes are safe as it's quite close at the top in all 3 categories!

(For real as opposed to some American Idol style grab for more votes despite someone having coughed up a hairball on stage and is clearly going home ;) )

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
    • PaintingPossum miniature painting
« Reply #643 on: October 07, 2013, 06:52:59 PM »
Does this mean announcing results is delayed or..? I'm not really up on the schedule for newsletters, so wasn't actually expecting anything anyway

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 07, 2013, 07:03:34 PM »
Does this mean announcing results is delayed or..? I'm not really up on the schedule for newsletters, so wasn't actually expecting anything anyway

Nope, nothing else has changed. There was just going ot be a section in this week's newsletter to draw more attention to the contest and now the newsletter has been delayed past the end of the contest.

The results will be tallied and checked this week, we'll pick our 'HF Choice' winners' and then announce all the winners on the weekend more than likely.

As for castings etc, it will probably take until about Christmas. It would be sooner but HF are off on a road trip to the States in a few weeks which will interrupt everythign on our schedule.

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
    • PaintingPossum miniature painting
« Reply #645 on: October 07, 2013, 07:22:06 PM »
Sounds good

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 08, 2013, 07:25:38 AM »
Awesome!

Offline drakkol

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 08, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »
Perfect!

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 08, 2013, 06:44:44 PM »
do we know who won yet,do we know who won yet,do we know who won yet,do we know who won yet,do we know who won yet,do we know who won yet,do we know who won yet,do we know who won yet,do we know who won yet,??
I can fairly certainly say it wasn't me so I thought id get the question in 1st!!  :lalala:
a happy dauber

Offline Grulgor

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 08, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »

I honestly don't know which ones you sculpted mate although I could often spot the same sculptor's work across categories (for example, I really think that one model in the sci fi category was sculpted by the same person as one in the fantasy category (similar detail work) and of course I could spot the ubiquitous onesie collection :)).

I tell you what 'though, that sorceress with the really big "egg spoon staff" got my attention. I like the fact that the cloth draped over the top and wrapped around the length of the staff is a carricature of her own hood and face. I'd like to see a really talented painter paint the bulge within the staff's "hood" as a stylised version of the woman's face with her hair draped down across it again. Sort of like she needs to assert her dominant ego.

Care to pm me which ones you sculpted beefy?

Well since the polls finished I can definitely admit to having a big grin seeing that, as the sorceress with the 'egg spoon staff' is mine. At least someone liked it, I'll go ahead and feel rather chuffed now thank you  :D