Author Topic: 2012 SCULPTING COMPETITION  (Read 286092 times)

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.artemisblacks.com
Re: 2012 SCULPTING COMPETITION
« Reply #500 on: September 03, 2013, 10:10:40 PM »
Hi Everyone, quick update...

Tomorrow is the last day for normal replies to Jenn regarding the prior announcement and getting a code etc.

Then Jenn will take a few days to re-photograph all the entries who didn't shout 'Nooooo!' at her.

Once all the entries have nice new photographs, we'll put up the poll for you all to vote on. For those wondering there 'will' also be a 'HF Choice' element but that will be in addition to the 'People's Choice' vote.

After that, winners will be contacted and we'll make some announcements about casting and anyone who's entry may not be castable etc. will also be contacted.

(As I'm late to the party I may also be doing a little interfering of my own, for example there's one or two that I consider to be an excellent concept which has been done well but, no offence to the entrants, Kev could obviously do better. I may be contacting those about the possibility of using their entry as 3D concept art :) No, I'm not naming them here in case they take offense to the middle bit ;))
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:47:21 AM by Artemis Black »

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 03, 2013, 10:21:53 PM »
All sounds good to me!   :thumbup:
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Hellboy - "Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Offline Minimaker

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/minimaker3
« Reply #502 on: September 04, 2013, 12:37:05 AM »
Ok, awaiting patiently. :)

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 04, 2013, 07:30:34 AM »
Super excited!

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
    • PaintingPossum miniature painting
« Reply #504 on: September 04, 2013, 07:44:23 AM »
(As I'm late to the party I may also be doing a little interfering of my own, for example there's one or two that I consider to be an excellent concept which has been done well but, no offence to the entrants, Kev could obviously do better. I may be contacting those about the possibility of using their entry as 3D concept art :) No, I'm not naming them here in case they take offense to the middle bit ;))

This sounds awesome!

Offline Vargrz

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 09, 2013, 04:05:03 AM »
So I just checked this forum after a long break.  It looks like I missed being able to contact Hasslefree about my entry.  I am okay with it being rephotographed and hope I am not too late.

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 09, 2013, 04:19:54 PM »
So I just checked this forum after a long break.  It looks like I missed being able to contact Hasslefree about my entry.  I am okay with it being rephotographed and hope I am not too late.

It's not a problem, due to the long delay we aren't being picky at our end. The contact was more in the negative sense i.e. if they contacted us to say 'No, don't rephotograph my stuff'. Anyone who didn't contact us will get an email and then if still no response will be rephotographed anyway for uniformity.

Offline Vargrz

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 09, 2013, 11:52:10 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply!  I'm happy with whatever you all do with rephotographing!  You all are awesome! :notworthy:

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 10, 2013, 09:38:35 AM »
damn, I was hoping you would disqualify everyone, leaving all the prizes for me  :twisted: I'm not to proud to take them on a technicality :D

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 13, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »
Hi Everyone

We need your opinion on something. Because of the delay in this competition some issues that could have been addressed fludily at the time have only come to light now and we're having a small quandary about it.

Basically as we go through the entries re-photogaphing them ready for the vote in a few days we are quickly realising that the vast majority of entries aren't really suitable for casting. Many were broken in transit due to bad packaging, a fair few simply can't be cast without having work done on them due to positioning or being oddly multipart (or not multipart when they should be), some are incredibly fragile with the green stuff or putty barely hanging on to the armature and will simply not survive a moulding process and so on.

All this would be fine except the original rules stated people would get a metal casting of their own figure. The problem with that is to make that happen HF would literally have to stop production for a couple of weeks while Kev fixed all the greens, which as you can guess is financially disastrous.

So what we'd like to do is switch that out and just cast the publically voted winners, and the HF chosen enties, and then send everyone a set of those for entering instead (These may also require someof Kev's time but 'far' less).

Would that be acceptable to you guys?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:18:38 PM by Artemis Black »

Offline Leader of the Rats

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: September 13, 2013, 04:34:04 PM »
I'm ok with that. It's unfortunate some entries can't be cast but this is mostly amateurs here so mistakes are bound to happen with our sculpts. Hope mine isn't one of the "bad" ones but if it is, so be it. I'm fine with Kev or someone picking out the castable ones and letting people vote for them.
Excuse me...Just looking for my pants.

Offline Grulgor

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 13, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »
Sounds absolutely fine to me, obviously quite a few of us had never done anything like this before so we're not experts on making castable miniatures! Though as an aside, I'd love it if there could be a guide of some form to doing that if ever there was another sculpting competition. Not because there should have been one before, but just as something interesting for those of us who want to get better and wouldn't mind casting some parts at home for conversion.

This would mean we'd still get our greens back too right? As that was the main thing I was hoping for, she's far from perfect but it's the first time I've done anything like this and I'd love to get her back.

Offline Bungle

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 13, 2013, 04:44:49 PM »
Its sad that some entries are uncastable as is.

Isn't it a condition for that people would get a metal casting of their own figure that entries are actually castable?
2: The Final piece must be able to be castable in metal by us.

can you post all up in 2 groups?

Castable

Non castable as is (with an explanation why maybe?) so people can learn from the mistakes and we can all enjoy their work?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:04:08 PM by Bungle »
Bungle         Steders loves goats                Ben Loves badgers

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 13, 2013, 05:04:54 PM »

It was a condition, and an important one, but it was kinda hidden and not as prominent as the part where it says you'll get a metal casting. Plus some of these are a technicality, breakages and things that 'could' be fixed etc.

Everyone will still get their greens back, of course.

Basically what we'd now like to see happen is we cast the public winners, we then also hand pick out a number of other entries that didn't win as  sort of 'Highly Recommended' prizes that are also castable as is and fill up a mould with them. We'd then send everyone a set of those minis with their greens back.

We will absolutely post up some guidelines about why things weren't castable and some pointers as to how to make sure that doesn't happen in the future.

This will also all have the added side effect of making the resolution to the competition much faster after the long delays so there is a bright side :)

Offline drakkol

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 13, 2013, 05:10:06 PM »
Ok! Good option Artemis, don't worry.

Its sad that some entries are uncastable as is.

Isn't it a condition for that people would get a metal casting of their own figure that entries are actually castable?
2: The Final piece must be able to be castable in metal by us.

can you post all up in 2 groups?

Castable

Non castable as is (with an explanation why maybe?) so people can learn from the mistakes and we can all enjoy their work?

...and Bungle is right! This could  be VERY useful for us.  We will all learn much from these explanations. If you'll make another competition we could send better greens.

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 13, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »

Oh and just to clairfy, this has no impact on the competition. If one of the winners happens to be uncastable for some reason we'll work with the winner to make sure that it is. As I mentioned fixing one or two sculpts we can manage, fixing 75 is not such a good option for the business I'm afraid.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #516 on: September 13, 2013, 05:32:46 PM »
No worries from me.
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline alrith72

• Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 13, 2013, 06:08:32 PM »
I'll be the first grumpy one to express disappointment. If it's not castable in metal then it shouldn't be in the final consideration for voting as stated in the comp rules (whether this is due to bad sculpting or bad packaging, so be it). If it is castable then the entrant should get a copy of their miniature in metal as stated regardless of whether they are a winner or not.

Oh and just to clairfy, this has no impact on the competition. If one of the winners happens to be uncastable for some reason we'll work with the winner to make sure that it is.
Again if it's not castable it shouldn't be in consideration for the winners votes.

And just to clarify mine is rubbish, has no chance of winning but that wasn't the reason I entered.
Paintoff Results- Won-0 Lost-2 (D'oh!)

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 13, 2013, 06:23:57 PM »
fine by me,  any or all of mine.
I entered for the fun, but a reasoned critique would help avoid the same mistakes in the future.
a happy dauber

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 13, 2013, 06:32:52 PM »
I'll be the first grumpy one to express disappointment. If it's not castable in metal then it shouldn't be in the final consideration for voting as stated in the comp rules (whether this is due to bad sculpting or bad packaging, so be it). If it is castable then the entrant should get a copy of their miniature in metal as stated regardless of whether they are a winner or not.

Oh and just to clairfy, this has no impact on the competition. If one of the winners happens to be uncastable for some reason we'll work with the winner to make sure that it is.
Again if it's not castable it shouldn't be in consideration for the winners votes.

And just to clarify mine is rubbish, has no chance of winning but that wasn't the reason I entered.

We just didn't want an entry good enough to win to be disqualified because of bad packaging or the sculptors lack of knowledge of what will cast in a metal mould to be honest. The main reason we can think of why a winner wouldn't be castable is that it needs to be multipart in which case we could snip off an arm and attach it to a sprue etc. That's not a lof of effort for Kev.

The main reason a lot of the entries aren't castable are incredibly delicate parts, loose putty, fragility or they broke in the mail (We can stick them back together for photography purposes but they won't survive a moulding process - if one of those happens to win then again fixing one mini is within our reach).

There will be a handful of entries that 'are' castable in metal but then don't go on to win something. As the rules currently stand they should get a metal casting. If any of those people are upset about that we will work something out with them, everyone will get an individual email about their own entry so if you happen to be one of those entries then you will have your opportunity to talk with us :)

(There were similar issues with the Dress a Kev as we fond out recently when something needed to be remoulded and it was practically trashed after the one initial moulding.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:34:33 PM by Artemis Black »

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 13, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »
If all else fails I'm happy if I get my greens back if they can't be cast :) happy to pay postage too, fingers crossed atleast one makes it to cast though :)

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 13, 2013, 06:50:31 PM »
And if one of mines needs a snip to make the cut (see what I did there :)) then u have my full approval :)

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 13, 2013, 07:01:08 PM »
If all else fails I'm happy if I get my greens back if they can't be cast :) happy to pay postage too, fingers crossed atleast one makes it to cast though :)

Nobody will need to pay to receive greens back as we will be sending everyone a package anyway :)

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 13, 2013, 09:30:03 PM »
Good point well made

Offline Ironhammer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 13, 2013, 11:30:03 PM »
I think Artemis's solution is perfectly fine.  It seemed to me from the beginning that casting all the entries was a tall order, I'm kind of not surprised there would turn out to be serious difficulties.  We all need to remember that the HFM team is picking up the tab for all this.  This is a great contest either way, and for my own part if my minis don't get cast that's not a problem, this was an awesome opportunity to begin with!