Author Topic: Grymn Fluff - Rebirth and Realisation - Finished  (Read 19112 times)

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Rebirth Part 22
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 10:35:34 AM »
It was an interesting de brief. Drackus, Farben and the assembled crew from The Obituary, listened to what Thorred had to say and they were stunned.
“So Taters can now control the Crystal Dragons?” asked Drackus.
“I’m not sure” replied Thorred “it looked like he was a conduit for the commands that were given to the dragon.”
“What do you mean?” continued Drackus.
“As strange as it sounds, I think that the planet used Taters to communicate with the Dragon” said Thorred “when Taters spoke, it was like he had lots of voices and they were all speaking at once.”
“The legend speaks of the Crystal Saviour talking to the mother earth and the beasts and elements responding to his wishes” said Farben “I did not think that the spirits would be the controlling influence.”
“Does the legend explain why the Crystal Saviour would be an off-worlder who was a robotic construct with the mind of a Grymn?” asked Taters sarcastically.
“The legend tells of the Crystal Saviour being not of this world” replied Farben “but nothing more.”
“I can’t understand why I am in such a position” replied Taters.
“It is because you are made of the same crystal as the dragons” replied Farben “although you are from far away; your body is as much a part of this planet as I am.”
“Maybe I should look the part” said Taters and as everyone watched his shape altered to a see through version of Farben. The assembled lizards panicked and dropped to the ground in worship.
“For feth’s sake, Taters, stop messing with the locals” said Thorred.
“Sorry but it just annoys me that I keep getting myself into such trouble” replied Taters as his shape returned to normal “I am really tempted to pack up this body and dig out my old one.”
“It would be impossible now” said Chook, who looked at the lizards on the ground and tutted “Your torso, head and leg have been replaced by the crystal. There is no going back now.”
“You can get up” said Taters “I am just a person.”
The lizards slowly got to their feet and Farben looked at Chook with a harsh stare “do you not honour the Crystal Saviour?” he said.
“I have no need to grovel in front of a crewmate and neither should you” said Chook “I am sure that his anger will be reserved for his enemies.”
“You presume too much” said Farben.
“So… we’ve got some extra troops and we now have a proper legend joining us on this little rebellion” said Drackus “where do we go next?”
“We go to see my brother” said Chook.

News of what happened in the desert spread like wildfire. From all directions, clans that had previously been against joining the rebellion were turning up to help. Where the streets of the capital had been deserted, they were now full of angry lizards, baying for retribution. When The Obituary landed at the main spire, the landing platform was filled with activity so they had to circle before finally getting enough space to land. When the cargo door opened, Taters strolled out purposefully with the rest of the crew following him and all around, lizards dropped in worship to him.
“It is handy having a celebrity on this quest” said Sally sarcastically “it certainly gets the pathways cleared.”
“Indeed” said Chook.
They made their way to Tarrakh’s office and as soon as they arrived, they realised that something was wrong. The doors hung limply on broken hinges and there was a hybrid sat at Tarrakh’s desk.
“Welcome” said the hybrid as they approached him “I hope you don’t mind me borrowing the puppet’s desk but I felt it was appropriate.”
The crew could suddenly feel the air get thick as the psychic pressure built.
“I would prefer it if you remained where you are” said a second hybrid as he entered from a side door.
“Yes” said a third hybrid who was now standing in the corridor behind the crew “please do not approach further.”
“I am afraid that the crystal reploid has demanded more attention than I would have normally expected so I have assembled some of my brothers to aid me” said the hybrid behind the desk “My name is Ieuan Shade but you may call me master.”
From behind him, Taters heard the rest of the crew kneel and say “yes master” but Chook managed to keep to his feet and stood next to Taters.
“Well done, ambassador” said Ieuan Shade “it would appear that your training from the mind-stripped whore has paid off.” He stared hard at Chook for a moment and although Chook struggled, he was forced to kneel “yes master” he said as he did so.
“Now isn’t that better?” said Ieuan Shade.
“You must realise that you are out of your depth here” said Taters as he stepped forward.
“Unless you want the deaths of your friends on your conscience, I would stop where you are” said Ieuan Shade “but I don’t need to threaten you because I have a collective here and you will do as I command.”
Taters felt a huge shock of psychic energy surge into his mind and before he knew what had happened, he was kneeling in front of the hybrid. He looked at him as he approached but couldn’t move.
“Someone in this room hasn’t done their homework, have they?” said Ieuan Shade “If they had, they would know about the legend of the Crystal Saviour whose power is granted in the sands and the mountains.”
Taters tried to concentrate but the force of psychic energy that was now flooding into him was almost unbearable.
“But you aren’t in the sands or the mountains now, are you?” said Ieuan Shade.
Taters watched him smile a crooked smile as his consciousness began to fade under the enormous pressure.
“What are you doing?” said Ieuan Shade as he looked behind Taters “You can’t stand! I haven’t given you permission!”
Taters could hear a mumbling noise coming from behind him. It seemed familiar but he couldn’t place it. He looked at Ieuan Shade and saw a red mark appear on his forehead and a look of shock spread across his face as the blood began to flow. He dropped to the floor with the back of his head blown out from the velocity of the round that had been fired. Taters suddenly felt the pressure reduce and he was able to turn around and stand. Joo’an was standing behind him with a pistol raised. Blood was seeping from her nose, ears and eyes but she stood, resolutely chanting in the Sleiti tongue. Taters took his chance and thrust his arms forward. His fingers flashed out and extended to spikes that pierced the two nearest hybrids. As soon as the fingers entered them, they spread and sliced the hybrids open, killing them instantly. The psychic pressure stopped instantly and Taters immediately advanced but he quickly realised that the remaining hybrids were gone. He turned to Joo’an just as she began to fall and quickly caught her in his extended arms. She was out cold but still alive.
“Sally!” shouted taters “could you help me here?”
A moment later, Sally was cradling the unconscious Joo’an in his arms.
“Where is my brother?” asked Chook to no one in particular and he shouted “Tarrakh! Are you here?”
Chook began to search the office and its connected rooms and found Tarrakh cowering at the back of his bedchamber, behind the bed.
“It is nice to see your constitution hasn’t changed, brother” said Chook as he reached a hand down to help Tarrakh get to his feet.
“I had no choice” replied Tarrakh “the golden masters have power over the minds of other.”
“I suppose he made you cower behind your bed?” asked Chook contemptuously.
“That is unfair, brother” replied Tarrakh.
“Yes but I offered my hand to you” said Chook “I could have left you where you were.”
“I suppose so” replied Tarrakh.
“Do you know how many of the hybrids are on our world?” asked Chook.
“All I know is that there are many… possibly up to a hundred” replied Tarrakh.
“Are they all in the cities?” asked Chook.
“As far as I know, they are but I am not told very much” replied a rather deflated Tarrakh.
“Well, you will no longer be staying here” said Chook “gather your belongings, we will be returning to the ship now.”
“I cannot go with you… my place is here” said Tarrakh bluntly.
“Your place is at the head of an army, not as the puppet of traitors” said Chook “now gather your things.”
Tarrakh stared at Chook for a moment and then started to gather a few belongings.
“Chook!” shouted Sally “we need to go… Joo’an is in need of medical treatment.”
“We are coming now” replied Chook as he helped his brother with his kit and they left together.
“We need to hurry” said Drackus “there may be more hybrids on the way.”

The crew, along with Tarrakh, hurried to the landing pad. They didn’t encounter any hybrids on the way but had to avoid the increasing throng of lizards who were rushing to the city. As Taters passed, the lizards either rushed to get out of his way or threw themselves to the floor in worship and Taters was getting rather annoyed by it.
“Why don’t they leave me alone?” asked Taters as he stomped down the corridor “I can’t help them here.”
“Then tell them what you wish of them” said Chook “they will do as you ask.”
“What do you mean?” replied Taters.
“Send them out of the city to a place where we can help them” said Chook.
Taters stopped and turned to the nearest prostrate lizard and told him to stand. The lizard slowly got to his feet but wouldn’t look at Taters.
“Look at me!” said Taters and the lizard did as he was told “Tell your kind to leave the city and gather in the desert.”
“They will not listen to me, exalted one” replied the lizard.
Taters thought for a while, extended his arm and touched the forehead of the lizard. When he removed his hand a sphere of crystal remained where he touched. Without a word, the crystal began to glow.
“You have been touched by the Crystal Saviour!” shouted Taters and lizards all around him looked at the glowing sphere on the lizard’s forehead “it is your holy duty to lead your kind from this city and into the desert to form a crusading army!”
The lizard fell to his knees with reverence “I will obey!”
Taters looked around and chose four more lizards. He extended his arm to reach each one and gave each a glowing sphere on their foreheads.
“You have each been given a duty to lead your kind away from the evil of the cities and you must spread the word quickly” said Taters loudly “Go!”
Without a further word, the lizards that had seen what had occurred got up and left as quickly as they could.
“Yes… that should just about do it” said Chook “very theatrical, I thought.”
“It was the best I could manage in the circumstances” replied Taters “now let’s get out of here.”

As they left the confines of the city wall and walked out onto the landing platform, they were dismayed to see that The Obituary was gone. In fact, the whole landing platform was now deserted.
“Damn!” shouted Drackus “Where is my ship?”
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Rebirth Part 23
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2012, 03:13:36 PM »
Drackus stood gazing at the point where The Obituary had been sat with a forlorn look on his face.
“What has happened to the rest of the crew?” asked Thorred “we need to get away from here ASAP or Joo’an will be in serious trouble.”
“Taters, could you try and contact the ship?” said Chook.
“I am trying but there is no response” replied Taters “we’ll have to find another way out of the city.”
“Chook, you’ll have to lead the way” said Sally who was looking very worried about Joo’an as he carried her tenderly.
They all turned to re-enter the city when the roar of engines blasted from behind them. They all instinctively drew their weapons as they turned to face the noise.
“Stand down, traitors!” said a loud voice from the ship “drop your weapons or you will be destroyed.”
It was a grey ship that was very similar to the tithe ship they had seen in the desert and it hovered; training its weapons on them menacingly.
“We have no choice” said Sally “Joo’an needs help… we had better do as they ask.”
They all looked to Drackus who nodded and was about to put his pistol down when a ball of fire erupted from the side of the grey ship and it lurched to one side before plummeting down the side of the spire.
“Sorry we were late, cap’n” said Jela through the comms “we had to lay low until the enemy vessel showed its hand.”
“Get down here urgently, we have a medical emergency” said Sally abruptly.

As The Obituary left the spire and hurtled out towards the desert, Sally was inconsolable. He sat sobbing in the cargo bay, still clutching Joo’an in his arms. They had been too late and she had succumbed to her wounds. Chook stared at Sally and was completely stunned. Sig was trying desperately to get some response from her and was injecting her with various drugs to try and bring her back to life but with no success. Tulley was sobbing in the corner and Taters had changed into a more natural form to comfort her.
“There will be retribution” said Chook quietly and his crest flashed up but instead of the usual red, it was a cool, royal blue.
“Why did the Sleiti ever allow Ieuan to continue with his plans for so long?” asked an incredulous Thorred “they should have dealt with him a long time ago… his evil has spread so far.”
“If there was no Ieuan, we would never have met Joo’an” said Drackus soberly “and our lives would not have been enriched by her presence.”
“Aye, that’s the way of it cap’n” said Benn solemnly “what do we do with her?”
“We treat her as one of our own and we lay her to rest as we would like to be… unless there is specific instruction that she has left for us” replied Drackus.
“But we have to retrieve her from Sally first” replied Benn.
“All in good time” replied Drackus “all in good time.”

Fran and Jela cleansed Joo’an’s body and Tulley helped them to dress her and braid her hair. After the Captain said a few words, she was secured in a body bag and placed in cryogenic stasis until they would be able to properly carry out a burial ceremony. Sally was nowhere to be found. He was heartbroken and so furious that no one had dared to go near him since he gave up Joo’an’s body. The rest of the crew watched as the cryo-chamber lid was closed and spent a short while with their thoughts before returning to their duties. There would be time for mourning later… there was a job to do and the hybrid, Ieuan Shade, had unwittingly tempered their spirits into doing it as soon as they could.

When The Obituary returned to the desert, they immediately made their way to Greylar’s homestead. They were getting low on fuel and knew that they would be made welcome there. Once they had landed and Tulley had liaised with the ground crew, Chook, Taters and Drackus left the ship so that they could talk with Greylar. As they walked towards the main hab-dome, they couldn’t help but notice the increased population.
“It seems that word has spread” said Drackus.
“There are injured amongst them” replied Chook.
“I hope that Greylar can shed some light on the situation” said Drackus.
“Of that, I am sure” replied Chook as they entered the dome.
“Welcome, brother” said Greylar as they entered. She then noticed that Taters was entirely crystal and gasped before bowing her head “welcome your eminence” she said.
“I am Taters” he replied bluntly “I am only the Crystal Saviour when I need to be.”
“I understand… Taters” replied Greylar.
“Welcome Greylar” said Drackus “what is the score with all the new arrivals?”
“Welcome Drackus” she replied “there has been swift retribution for the uprising.”
“How?” asked Chook.
“Many tithe ships have been deployed and many lizards have been taken” said Greylay “those that cannot be taken are attacked.”
“Are the survivors all coming here?” asked Drackus.
“No, most of them are going to their own bolt holes. The nearest settlements are coming here” replied Greylar “and there have been many arrivals from the city too.”
“Already?” asked Drackus “we’ve barely left there.”
“We have our means” replied Greylar.

Over the next couple of days, communications between the various settlements were kept up and now that the Crystal Saviour was around, the influx of friendly lizards was like a flood. The main city was like a ghost town, with only the hybrids and their enslaved forces within the walls. Any tithe ships that left the city were quickly gunned down and destroyed so the hybrids remained where they were and bided their time. Drackus quickly realised that there was a stalemate and that they would have to assault the city. That would mean that Taters would not be at his full capacity but they would have to take a chance that he was strong enough to succeed. After putting all their heads together and consulting with the other clans, it was decided that an attack would happen in two days time. That would give them enough time to muster their forces and they knew that the hybrids were being well contained by local forces near the city so there would be no need to worry about moving any earlier.

“I have to leave” said Taters on the morning of the battle.
“Why?” asked Thorred.
“I don’t know… I just have to” replied Taters “I can’t explain it.”
“What about the battle?” replied Thorred “we’ll need you to keep the locals in line.”
“I’m sorry but I must leave now” said Taters and without a backwards glance, he walked out of the hab-dome and into the desert. Thorred dashed to find Drackus and when he found him, Drackus was already aware of the situation.
“Apparently, it is all part of the legend” said Drackus “to quote…’and the Crystal Saviour gave flight before the battle and wandered the sands to find enlightenment and when he returned from the depths of the sand and dust, it was as if the elements were his body and the sun was his weapon and all who opposed him were destroyed’… I think that about sums it up.”
“Do all the lizards know this?” asked Thorred.
“Yes” replied Drackus.
“And they will fight without him?” asked Thorred.
“Yes, the will fight to honour him and to hope that they remain alive for him to see their efforts” replied Drackus.
“So who will lead them?” asked Thorred.
“Tarrakh will be their figure head who will run the battle from here” said Drackus “but the true leaders will be the females… and you have never seen anything as imposing in your life.” Drackus pointed out of the window and to Thorreds surprise there were row upon row of male lizards arranged in squares of about a hundred troops and at their head was a female. Each of the blocks of troops was dressed in a motley collection of battle armour but each of the female leaders was dressed in the finest polished metal and they stood a good metre above the males. There must have been close to ten thousand troops and every one of them had a bladed weapon and a pistol.
“Where the feth did that lot come from?” asked Thorred in stunned awe.
“Everywhere” said Drackus “shall we join them?”
“I think it would be rude not to” replied Thorred.

“Everyone understands that in order to remove these parasites from our world, we must fight!” said Tarrakh into the microphone and when he did, the assembled troops roared in agreement.
“Everyone knows that there will be sacrifice!” said Tarrakh and again the troops roared.
“So… go and fight and take back what is ours!” said Tarrakh and the roar drowned out all noise for a hundred miles.
“Here we go then” said Thorred as he looked around their small squad. Sally, Jela, Tulley, Fran, Trev and Stobart were with the ship but the rest of the crew was there “is Sally joining us?”
“Yes” said Sally as he emerged from the Obituary. He was clad entirely in some form of leather and was completely covered in blades of various lengths. He had a face as blank as the desert around them and his eyes were glazed. The group said nothing and they made their way to the muster area.
“I hope Taters times it right” said Thorred.
“His timing will be what it is and nothing more” replied Chook.
“Well, I’m glad you cleared that up!” said Drackus with a broad grin.
When the reached the muster area, they noticed a number of stairways that dropped under the surface. As they watched, squads of troops disappeared into the ground as they walked down the stairs.
“Have you never heard of sub-surface trains?” asked Chook.
“Yes… but I didn’t expect them out here” replied Thorred.
“How else can we travel in safety?” said Chook.
“Well… I can’t argue… it makes perfect sense” replied Thorred.
“Come on, don’t dawdle” said Chook and they all walked down the stairs and boarded the waiting train.
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »
Lizards = Fremmen? :whistle:
In the war-torn darkness of the future, there is only Grymn.

Deep Space Nine: Officially not as good as Stargate.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »
Not really... just lizards with a matriarchal society that happen to live in the desert. Although they live in homesteads in the desert, they still trade with the cities and walk freely in that society when the Hybrids aren't there. They aren't separate or anything...and all of the lizards have a bond with the planet because they are so dependent on what water is found there. They do have clans but that is more about who they are as a family than anything else.

Did the Fremmen have access to military hardware like tanks?

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2012, 07:50:48 PM »
I don't know, but there ended up being a hell of a lot more of them hidden in the deserts than was suggested by the few that were seen by the guys mining the spice.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Rebirth Part 24
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »
The trip to the city outskirts was extremely short. The train seemed to travel much quicker than The Obituary did and Drackus was extremely impressed at the effectiveness of the transport. He looked around his crew and noted what each of them was wearing. Thorred wore camouflaged-grey, military fatigues and regulation body armour and carried a pulse rifle, pistol and hunting knife along with a small selection of grenades, some ammunition and water. Sig and Benn were similarly dressed but in much more garish camouflage. Sig also carried an axe and Benn had a war-hammer. Gregor wore fatigues with no armour. He carried a long rifle, a sidearm and enough ammunition and water for a small battle. Chook was wearing an emerald green, bio-suit and was carrying his matched pair of honour blades. Sally looked like a black and silver hedgehog but had a belt with a number of pouches on it. Drackus was happy that they all carried what was familiar to them. He was wearing his favourite, yellow-tweed, battledress with an armoured long-coat. He was carrying a pair of pistols and a power-sword.
“What are your plans for the battle, Sally?” asked Drackus.
“I will fight alone” he replied flatly as he gazed into the distance through glazed eyes.
“So how am I going to look after you?” asked Drackus.
“By leaving me to it” replied Sally.
“If that is what you wish?” replied Drackus.
“It is” replied Sally.
“Everybody out!” shouted one of the female leaders and the train began to empty.

They were approximately a mile from the city and as the troops formed up, a range of armoured vehicles arrived. Some were armoured personnel carriers but others had a range of heavy weapons including anti armour rail-guns and missile launchers.
“I must admit to being continuously amazed at what these lizards can hide” said Drackus to Chook.
“We have always been thrifty” replied Chook with a toothy grin.
“I am glad” replied Drackus.
“Traitors! You will stand down and bow to your superiors or you will be slain” said a voice in everyone’s head.
“Well, I guess it has begun” said Drackus as he turned to Sally and the rest of the crew.
“They’ll send out the slaves first and they’ll probably try to slow us down with their psychic powers” said Thorred “try and focus on the fight rather than fighting the psychic attack, rage and battle-lust are powerful emotions.”
“It sickens me to slaughter innocent puppets” said Sig “but I guess if it has to be done, it has to be done.”
“Aye, brother” replied Benn “and it will be good practice.” They looked at each other, laughed and grabbed the others wrist in a warrior greeting.
“Die well!” said Benn.
“Die well!” said Sig.
They butted heads and drew their axe and hammer. Drackus shook his head at their theatrics but smiled. He looked at Sally who had removed something from one of his pouches and was carefully mixing it together.
“What is that Sally?” asked Drackus.
“It will aid my efforts” replied Sally bluntly “don’t ask me anything more.”
“As you wish” said Drackus.
Chook drew his honour blades and slowly drew them over each other; producing a shower of sparks. He looked at the ground and began a melodious chant with a deep base rhythm and a few seconds later, his blades began to glow with a dim, blue light and the surface of his body shimmered as if coated in a heat haze. Once the chant had finished, he looked up and had a ferocious look on his face.
“Today, Joo’an lives on the battlefield” he said to Drackus “you will see what I have learned through her training.”
“It will be an honour to fight with you” said Drackus with a bow.
“The honour, Drackus, is mine” replied Chook who then returned the bow.
Gregor turned to Thorred and asked “is it normal to feel this sick before a battle?”
“For some” said Thorred “but it is just a sign that you have humility.”
“Then I have far too much humility” replied Gregor as he turned to one side and vomited.
“Stick with me and we’ll stand a good chance of getting out of this alive” said Thorred as he patted Gregor on the back “you pick them off from a distance and I’ll clean them up when they get close.”
“Cheers Thorred” said Gregor as he wiped his mouth.
“If you’ve never seen Chook or Sally fight, spare a glance in their direction” said Thorred “they are a wonder to behold.”
“I’ll try to remember that” replied Gregor doubtfully.
“Thorred, catch” said Sally as he threw him a small packet “if the going gets hectic, take some of that; it reacts with alphoid physiology and helps with strength and constitution.”
“Cheers Sally” said Thorred as he tucked the packet into a pouch.
“Don’t be around anyone you like when you take it though” continued Sally “it makes you quite angry.”
“Okay” replied Thorred.
The small group were startled by a loud announcement.
“The gates are open… CHARGE!”
Drackus flashed a glance at Sally just as he was taking the substance. Sally looked at him and smiled and Drackus saw his face change almost instantly. Sally turned towards the city and roared in a berserk fury, whilst punching the ground. As Drackus watched he physically grew in size by a further foot and a quick glance towards Drackus showed that Sally was gone. With a final roar, he launched himself forward at great speed, easily keeping pace with the lizards that were in full charge.
“Die well!” said Chook and he gleefully dashed after Sally.
“I guess we’ll be following on from the rear then” said Thorred to the rest of them “unless we can hitch a ride.”
“Drackus!” shouted a familiar voice “over here.”
Farben was shouting at them from the cupola of an armoured truck and beckoned them aboard. The five Grymn (including Thorred) dashed over and quickly jumped into the truck.
“I didn’t expect off-worlders to be joining in the fight” said Farben.
“We’re with Chook… he’s one of us” replied Sig as he settled down on the bench seat.
“Then I salute you” replied Farben “We’ll get closer to the wall and then disembark.”
“Aye!” replied Drackus “that will be most acceptable.”

The sound of battle was all around them as Drackus and his small team leapt from the truck.
“We stick together!” shouted Drackus as he looked for a decent defensive position “there!” he continued as he pointed to a small outcrop of rocks. They all dashed for cover as rounds flashed around them and set up a firebase. Gregor quickly fired off a round as he spotted a lizard approaching and was pleased to see it drop with a gaping hole in its right eye-socket. The rest of them took a defensive stance and fired at anything that got too close. As they battled they noticed a commotion close to the closed gate of the city. Lizards were being thrown into the air like broken rag-dolls as Sally piled through them with incalculable rage. As they watched they noticed a green and blue blur that followed him as he hammered on the gates whilst casting aside enemies with each swing of his bladed gauntlets. It was a marvel to watch and it took a near miss from a blaster to snap them back to reality and focus on their own battle.
“Well, I guess we were right” shouted Thorred as he fired his pulse gun “they sent the slaves out first.”
“Of course they did” shouted Drackus in reply as he pointed to a nearby threat so that Gregor could take it down “cowards don’t like to do their own dirty work until they are sure they can win.”
“I hear you there, cap’n” shouted Sig as he blazed away with his pulse rifle.

The battle at the gates raged fiercely and many lizards on both sides fell. Even though the heavy weapons of the rebels pounded the walls of the city, they seemed to be shielded and the rounds were making no headway against them. In return, the heavy weapons from the city were picking off the tanks with precision and there were very few that remained functional. Drackus knew that soon the guns would be turned on the troops and that would be a catastrophe. As he looked around the battlefield, he could see that the enemy troops were beaten but they still fought on and were now in the process of being slaughtered. He felt sick at the thought of so many innocent puppets dying so needlessly but there was no other way of beating the hybrids. They needed to thin out the lizards in order to focus on the main threat.

After what appeared an age, the fighting slowed and the rebel forces regrouped away from the big guns.
“Now what?” asked Vargren; a hugely built warrior who had taken command of three large squads that had lost their leaders “we cannot get through the shields and to attack the walls would be suicide against the heavy guns.”
“Have our scouts broken through in the tunnels yet?” asked Tarrakh through the comms.
“No my lord” replied Vargren “we have not heard from them since they entered the tunnels and we fear they have been lost.”
“And our heavy weapons are not affecting the walls?” asked Tarrakh.
“No my lord… and the heavy weapons have destroyed most of our tanks and will reap any warriors like chacktra if we try to attack on foot” replied Vargren.
“Then I am at a loss” replied Tarrakh “we have a stalemate.”
Vargren slammed her mailed fists down on the hastily erected command desk and it split under the force.
“We have come so far and still we thirst for battle…are we to be denied?” she shouted.
Drackus looked at Thorred who shrugged. They knew that Chook would probably be able to add to the discussion but he and Sally were nowhere to be found.
Suddenly a rather panicked, male lizard burst into the group and fell to the ground.
“There is a sand storm coming!” he said.
“Damn!” that is all we need said Vargren “you get a message to all the leaders to hunker down” she said, pointing to a group of males who immediately nodded and left the group “prepare for the storm!” she said to the gathered command group.
Drackus and the small band of Grymn dashed over to a little outcrop and quickly began to build a makeshift shelter out of canvas sheets that were pinned down with spikes. As they worked they noticed that in between the sound of hammering there was an increasing amount of shouting and after a few minutes the hammering had stopped and all of the lizards were staring at the coming storm and pointing. Drackus looked at where they were pointing and was amazed to see a tornado approaching. The tornado was not accompanied by a sand storm or any other inclement weather. As he stared he saw that the tornado was flecked with shining stars and funnelled down to a tiny point on the ground that was approaching them at an alarming speed… far quicker than any tornado would normally be expected to travel.
“HE HAS COME!” shouted one of the lizards as he threw aside his weapons and dropped to the ground in worship. His actions spread throughout the troops as more and more of them cast aside their weapons and dropped in worship.
“I don’t believe it” said Thorred.
“Believe it” said Drackus as the tornado approached.

“Sally!” shouted Chook as he firmly shook him whilst trying to avoid all of the blades “Sally!”
There was no response.
“For feth’s sake, will you wake up?!” shouted Chook again as he fired a shock through his blade and touched Sally’s brow with it. That did the trick and Sally’s hand flashed out and grabbed Chooks throat in a firm grip. His eyes opened, the glazed look disappeared and he focussed on Chook. He released his grip and slowly climbed to his feet.
“Is it over?” asked Sally.
“I am afraid not” replied Chook as he studied Sally “you have many wounds, Sally.”
“I don’t have enough” he growled as he flexed his muscles to gain an idea of how he was functioning. He winced when he got to his calf and checked what was wrong; a blaster wound that had left a cauterised hole.” He shrugged, reached into his pouch and applied the balm that he found there.
“You fought impressively” said Chook “I was proud to follow you.”
“I was not in the fight” replied Sally “I was elsewhere… my rage was in the fight.”
“Never the less, we cut a swathe through the enemy” replied Chook.
“No” replied Sally bitterly “we cut a swathe through your brothers and sisters.”
“That may be so but we had no choice and I would rather be standing here after the fight, than joining the fallen” replied Chook.
“The fallen” said Sally and tears filled his eyes “Like my Joo’an.”
“… Yes, like OUR Joo’an” replied Chook and he placed a clawed hand on Sallys shoulder, in between the spikes that were there.
“We need to finish this” said Sally as he steeled himself again “what is going on?”
“We have retreated to a safe distance because we can’t penetrate the walls and the heavy weapons will be trained on the troops now that our armour has all but been destroyed.”
“So we are just sitting and waiting” said Sally hollowly “a stalemate.”
“I’m afraid so” replied Chook.
“Where is the rest of our army?” asked Sally.
“They are over the other side of the bluff… we have about twenty talons with us and I am glad they are here because I would have never been able to drag you to safety by myself.”
“Hmm…” replied Sally with a frown.
“Ambassador!” said a lizard who had just dashed over to them “The Saviour approaches.”
“Thank you, Selract” replied Chook warmly “prepare the talons, we will be rejoining the fight shortly.”
“Yes, ambassador” replied Selract and he dashed off to join the other lizards.
“This should be worth seeing” said Chook as he peered around the rocks in the direction of the tornado “yes… definitely quite impressive.”

‘… and the Crystal Saviour appeared as if a storm from the desert; imbued with the power of the elements and the sun itself. Every step was like the toll of a great bell and the earth shuddered under its weight. All around him the winds raged and in the teeth of the storm were the nine tears of Porphys; greatest of the dragons of the wastes. From his glowing body the spirits of the planet flowed, laying waste to all who stood before him and from his eyes sprang forth the wisdom of ages and under his gaze all who opposed him fell like needles from a long dead cactus…'

Taters walked purposefully towards the city and as he did so the heavy weapons opened up and poured fire towards him. In unison the nine dragons left the tornado and sped towards the walls but were held back by the psychic barrier. The heavy weapons were ineffective against them so they retrained on Taters. As the weapons struck home, Taters continued his walk as if nothing had happened and in moments he had reached the wall. He paused for a moment as great spikes sprang from his heels and splintered the ground. There was a static pressure build up around him as the planet poured energy into his crystalline structure and he reached forward to touch the wall. There was a flash of brilliant, white light before one of the dragons reached a heavy gun and ripped it from its mantle.

The barrier was down.

The dragons dashed from heavy weapon to heavy weapon, laying waste to them as they went.

From behind Taters a huge roar sprang up and thousands of lizards charged towards the city.

Taters remained where we was and continued to be a conduit for the planet’s power. His purpose was to keep the shield at bay and to allow the talons to do their work. The surge of power that he provided broke the hold that the hybrids had on their slaves and many of them were throwing their weapons down or joining the fight against their former masters.
“It’s about time!” said Chook and he looked at Sally who was already emptying a further dose of stimulant into his mouth. He said nothing further but watched as the chemicals rushed through Sally’s body causing him to grow and roar fiercely. Sally glanced at Chook and dashed towards the gate and Chook followed closely behind.
“I pity them” thought Chook as he joined the rush towards the walls.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:14:08 AM by Inso »

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Rebirth Part 25
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2012, 11:48:40 AM »
Sally barrelled forwards at break-neck speed and was soon in the throng that was clamouring to open the gates. In his rage, he made no allowance for friend or foe and any of the lizards in his way were thrown clear. He had one thing on his mind and that was getting through the gate. Chook followed at a safe distance and marvelled at Sally’s strength. Fortunately the talons had realised that Sally was berserk and were getting out of his way now. Finally the way was clear for him to reach the gate and with a mighty roar he charged at it, making contact with such force that the hinges were torn from the stone walls; allowing the gate to fold into the city. All around, the talons cheered loudly and Chook had to make a dash forward in order to follow Sally and beat the others to the gate. Sally had already got halfway down the street by the time Chook reached him and as they ran, there was no one to be found. Chook focused on finding the Hybrids and sensed one in a nearby building.
“Sally!” he shouted “in there!” he continued and pointed to the building in question. With a grunt Sally changed direction and ripped the door from the building. A moment later a headless corpse smashed through one of the windows and landed in the street, closely followed by a battered head and an enraged Sally.
“One down” thought Chook as he stared at the dead hybrid in the street. He looked at Sally and his face was covered in a mask of blood “I better find some more” he thought. He reached out with his mind and found a build up of psychic energy in one of the towers “up there” he said; pointing about half way up. Sally didn’t need to be told twice and immediately ran towards the building. With a massive leap he launched himself at the side of the building and quickly climbed to where Chook had pointed. Moments later he had ripped off the window frame and was inside the building. Chook was cursing him. He was expecting to be able to follow but Sally had made it impossible. He checked behind him and watched the horde of talons streaming into the city. The females were directing them towards all of the state buildings and were leading from the front. Chook watched as Vargren appeared in the wreckage of the gate. Her armour shone like silver and her vibrant blue scales caught the light and almost looked like sapphires. He caught her eye and she nodded in his direction before leading her troops down a connecting street whilst issuing orders.
“She would make a fine mate” thought Chook.
Just then he heard a commotion coming from where Sally had entered and as he looked towards it a pair of battered hybrids were hurled from the window and landed heavily on the street. After a further noise, Sally fell from the window grappling three hybrids and a fourth toppled out behind him; caught up in the momentum. Sally deftly twisted his body and he landed on his feet and hands but the hybrids were not so fortunate and they were smashed on the floor. Without catching his breath, Sally leapt back up the wall and into the building. Chook cursed him again but dashed over to the hybrids. He decapitated each one before cutting his way through the main door and launching himself up the stairs inside. As he climbed he felt a build up of psychic pressure but was able to counter it because it didn’t seem to be directed at him. When he reached the third floor, he heard a battle raging so he powered up his blades and raced towards it. As he rounded a corner, he had to duck as a hybrid flew past him at head height. As he ducked, he drove a blade upwards and into the body, slicing it neatly from shoulder to crotch; cauterising the pieces so no blood flowed. Chook looked in the direction the body had come from and saw Sally struggling against the psychic force generated by six of the hybrids. On the floor around him, were at least a dozed corpses and he was caked in blood and viscera. Chook loped forward gracefully and lashed out with his honour blades. The hybrids were so focused on containing Sally that they were taken by complete surprise and two of them fell to his attack. Sally was immediately able to charge forward and he powered into the nearest hybrid; punching his fist deep into its chest cavity and ripping part of his neck away with his teeth. Without breaking step, he cast the body aside and leapt onto the next one, flattening him with his momentum. Chook dispatched the remaining two hybrids with adept sweeps of his blades; neatly decapitating them both. He looked at Sally who had torn the head from his victim and cast it aside. Sally stared blankly at Chook and Chook suddenly realised that there were no more enemies for Sally to attack.
“Feth!” he said as Sally leapt towards him “Sally! Down there!” he shouted and he pointed out of the window. Sally paused, turned and leapt outside and Chook heaved a sigh of relief before returning to the stairs and following Sally into the street by a different route.

The fighting in the city was brutal. Every hybrid was brought down by sheer numbers and after a couple of hours the last remaining group was contained within a ministerial building. Inside, there were still some slaves that remained in the hybrid’s thrall and they were defending fiercely with blasters, pinning down the attackers. Drackus and his group were nearby but were unable to help much; although Gregor was picking off the odd defender with his long rifle when the opportunity arose.
“We need some heavy weapons here!” shouted Thorred above the din “why didn’t I bring a rail-rifle?”
“That would have been Stobarts chosen weapon, not yours!” replied Drackus.
“Drackus?” shouted Vargren “we need to finish this… how can we get close?”
“Do you have any armour left?” replied Drackus.
“None… the tanks never made it to the wall” replied Vargren.
“I know what to do” said Thorred as he removed the packet from his pouch and popped the contents into his mouth “stand clear.”
“Thorred, you fool!” shouted Drackus but it was too late as the chemicals flooded into Thorred’s body and he began to rage.
“Someone, give him a shield!” shouted Drackus and one of the talons threw one to Drackus who dropped it by Thorred before retreating. Thorred was screaming in a bestial roar as his body expanded and his eyes glazed over. He grasped the shield and bent it in half before throwing it aside and charging towards the building.
Vargren turned to Darckus and a broad toothy grin spread across her face “It is a good day to die!” she shouted. She roared loudly and her talons did likewise as they all charged headlong towards the building and into the teeth of the weapon fire.
“Don’t you move!” shouted Drackus to his group “I am not losing more crew today!” he continued “target the guns and give covering fire… as much as you have!”
The four Grymn opened fire with everything they had. They didn’t need to worry about reserving ammunition because the battle was all but won.

All Thorred could think of, was rage. As he charged forward, he vaguely noticed the splashes of dust around him as the incoming rounds struggled to find their aim. He felt a sting as a blaster round hit his chest but continued on; his body armour coping with the blast and saving him from harm. He was nearly at the building now and he saw the door in front of him. He raged at the door and before he reached it, it buckled under a psychic blast and was blown into the building. The sound of battle disappeared as Thorred was enclosed in a shield of psychic energy; protecting him from harm as he leapt into the building. Once inside he flew up the stairs to look for the enemy. The enslaved talons that he met were brushed aside as he delved deep into the building in the hunt for the hybrids. He could feel their presence and it didn’t take long to find them. They were in the largest of the staterooms and there were a dozen of them. When Thorred crashed through the door, they were expecting him and he met an invisible force that stopped him in his tracks. He stared at them and felt the rage building inside him. He wanted to reach them and destroy them but he couldn’t get to them. He roared in anger and doubled his efforts and noticed the nearest of the hybrids stare at him in horror as the resistance he felt reduced and he was able to step forward… but he was too slow… and that made him more angry and he roared and strained to move faster and he felt the resistance ease. The hybrids were staring at him with terrified looks as he managed to reach the first one and he snapped its neck like a pencil. The resistance dropped further and Thorred was able to move towards the next one and dispatch it equally as quickly. The more he killed the easier it became to move and soon, he faced the last hybrid alive. He walked towards it and screamed in a bestial roar as it stared into his mind. He glared at it and focused his mind into reaching it and destroying it but before he did so, he noticed blood pouring from its eyes, mouth and ears as it succumbed to the psychic pressure that he was generating. It slumped to the floor and was lifeless.

Thorred roared loudly at the skies.

The battle was won.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Rebirth and Realisation - Finished
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2012, 03:12:12 PM »
Drackus looked down at Sally with sorrow. He was lying on a gurney in the cargo bay of The Obituary and Fran was tending to him. His body was a mass of cuts and bruises and he had blaster wounds to his leg and shoulder. His right eye was swollen to a point where it wouldn’t open and he had a deep gash from his sternum to his shoulder. He was completely still and in the grip of unconsciousness. Thorred was on the gurney next to him. He had a massive bruise on his chest and a number of flesh-wounds on his arms but was otherwise uninjured. He was also unconscious and Jela was tending to him. Both of them had been ravaged by the drug that they had taken and they needed time to recover.
“I hope he has put his demons to rest now” thought Drackus as he watched Sally breath slowly.
“Drackus?” said Chook as he strolled into the cargo bay “it is done. Vargren has now been installed as martial leader of the planet until a new one is elected and my brother will be acting as her aid.”
“That is good news” replied Drackus “have you received any word of Taters yet?”
“All I know is that he was carried into the desert by the tears of Porphys” replied Chook “I am at a loss as to what will become of him.”
“We can’t leave until we know” replied Drackus “I have no wish to lose another crewman… and Tulley will be heartbroken.”
“That is true” replied Chook “I wish I could bring more news. How is Gregor?”
“He is recovering in his billet” replied Drackus with a rye smile on his face “he survived the whole battle and took a heavy toll on the enemy forces only to slip from the back of a truck and dislocate his shoulder on the way back here!”
“He fought well” said Chook “it is a shame he had to suffer such embarrassment.”
“I’m sure he’ll be fine. He is calling it his war-wound already… even though there is nothing to show but a stiff joint” replied Drackus.
“My sister is happy for us to use whatever facilities she can offer for as long as we require them so we will have time to recoup before we have to move on” said Chook.
“Please thank her for her generosity” replied Drackus.
“You and your crew have gained great esteem on Porphys. It is her privilege to be of service” replied Chook “I must go now, I have an urgent meeting with the martial leader” said Chook with a glint in his eye “I will return presently.”
“Okay” replied Drackus absent-mindedly as he returned his gaze to Sally and sighed.

It was dark and the stars filled the heaven when Taters awoke. He lay still for a few moments before sitting up and taking in the scenery. He got to his feet, flexed his limbs and was pleased to find that they responded correctly to his will. He seemed to be inside a low-walled crater that was about fifty foot wide and it was filled with ground hugging foliage no more than an inch tall. He stared at it for a moment before he carefully walked to the edge of the crater; trying not to damage the plants. When he reached the edge, he climbed the small wall and walked out into the sand. He didn’t know how far away The Obituary was but he could pick up her homing signal and was following it to its source. As he walked, he tried to recollect what had happened to him and how he had ended up in the middle of the desert but he couldn’t. The last thing he remembered was leaving Thorred on the eve of battle. While he walked, he held his hand out in front of him and noticed that it was no longer clear crystal but was now a dark, smoky colour. He stared at it and thought hard changing the colour to that of flesh. He tried to change its shape and was happy to find that he could still do it. He returned it to its smoky colour and continued to walk as he marvelled at the star-field above him. He started to whistle and suddenly realised just how at ease he felt. He smiled and continued on his journey. Far behind him, the last of the tears of Porphys entered the deep cave and disappeared into the darkness within.

It took Taters two days to reach The Obituary and when he walked into the compound the lizards all cheered and dashed to worship him. There was such a commotion that he was forced to stop his progress and wait for Drackus to come and rescue him.
“How is my brother?” asked Taters as they both walked towards the cargo ramp.
“He is recovering from the battle but is still very tired… but apart from that he is fine” replied Drackus “and where have you been for the last few days?”
“I remember leaving on the day of the battle and waking in the desert but apart from that, I have no recollection of events” replied Taters “I have walked seventy two miles from the South to get here.”
“And how are you feeling?” asked Drackus “you have obviously undergone some sort of change.”
“My energy levels are at maximum, captain” replied Taters “and I am functioning normally… it seems that I have only changed colour.”
“It suits you” said Drackus “you don’t stand out quite as much.”
“I am glad” replied Taters “I wish to see my brother now.”
“He’s in his billet” replied Drackus “make sure you knock because Jela is with him.”
“Thank you captain” replied Taters “I will.”

Now that the crew had fully assembled and Chook had returned to the ship, Drackus decided to go and visit Elradar so that the crew could recover in comfort. Before The Obituary left Porphys, Drackus thanked Greylar for her hospitality and was gifted with a small chest that contained a single Crystal Dragon’s scale.
“You and your crew are always welcome here, captain Drackus” she said “I will be privileged to receive you all as guests.”
“You are most gracious” replied Drackus with a bow. Twenty minutes later, The Obituary was lifting off on her journey to Charran.

“So Drackus” said Chook as they left orbit and set a course for Charran “do you think that is all of them?”
“What do you mean” asked Drackus and he looked up from his journal.
“The hybrids” replied Chook “do you think there are any more out there?”
“I would like to think that we got them all” replied Drackus “but I doubt that we have.”
“Hmmm… I tend to agree with you” said Chook. He stared out of the window and paused for a moment before saying “Have you found any instructions from Joo’an?”
“Yes Chook” replied Drackus solemnly “and she will find a resting place in the gardens of Charran, in accordance with her wishes.”
“That is fitting” replied Chook “will you be contacting the Sleiti home-world… Kaal’uin may wish to attend a service.”
“The Sleiti will not be informed” replied Drackus “her wishes were clear on that subject.”
“Then we will be privileged to send her travelling as a crew” replied Chook.
“I haven’t asked yet” said Drackus “but her wish is for you to conduct the ceremony and there are instructions for you to follow.” Drackus handed Chook a small parchment with a red ribbon wrapped around it. A wax seal clearly displayed a number of Sleiti characters that Chook knew to be his name.
“It would be my honour, Drackus” replied Chook reverently “I will go and study this straight away.”
Chook stood up and nodded to Drackus before leaving the bridge. Drackus watched him depart and continued with his journal.

Joo’an was laid to rest in the Garden of Heroes in the capital city of Charran. The crew were joined by Elradar at the internment and Chook read the service. It was a simple affair, just as Joo’an wished. Sally remained seated for the occasion because he had not fully recovered but managed to stand briefly while her silver casket was lowered into the earth. His face was a picture of sorrow. Later that day the crew held a wake aboard The Obituary and Elradar joined the crew to give Joo’an a good send off.

It took Sally a month to fully recover from his wounds and the effects of the stimulants he had used. The medical facility on Charan was one of the best there was and had made sure that Sally received the best care possible. By the time Sally was fit, Drackus was itching to leave the planet so a few days later The Obituary left the dock and set off into space.
“Where are we going, cap’n” asked Stobart who was poised, ready to input a course.
“Galactic East, I think” replied Drackus as he stroked Blue who was sat in a ball on his lap “Yes… galactic East at a trot.”
“Aye, cap’n” replied Stobart and he set a gentle course for the galactic East. “Are we going anywhere particular?” he asked.
“Somewhere quiet” replied Drackus “somewhere quiet.”

End.

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2012, 01:56:35 PM »
I liked that, Steve. Thank you very much :)

I admit that every time I read an installment I'm inspired to make minis of the crew, including Torred both pre and after hybridisation.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »
...don't let me stop you :)

I'm glad you liked it.

...you'll like Valerie  :yup:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:09:03 PM by Inso »

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
Many thanks realy enjoyed that  :applause:  :applause:
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2012, 10:34:29 PM »
I'm glad :)