Poll

What ranges do you want to see built up/added to first?

Celtic and Tattoos
Egyptian Symbology and Artwork
Greek Symbology and Artwork
Oriental Symbology and Artwork
Other (add your suggestions to the topic)

Author Topic: Stickers and Decals.  (Read 9691 times)

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • M.E. is NOT a figment of my imagination
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
Stickers and Decals.
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:52:05 AM »

The 'accessories' section is starting to build up nicely.  It is taking a while to get the backlogged older codes online along with the new releases coming through but i think we are getting there!

We are using different kinds of artwork for different effects. 

1:  Screenprinting:  The decals in this series are printed onto a backing and will slide off with no cutting out neccessary.  This is being used for some of the more complex Oriental artwork and also for the modern urban series. The most expensive of the 4 options with current pricing coming in at around 5 (plus VAT) per individual sheet.

2: ALPS printing:  Printing in white ink onto clear decal film gives an opacity to the design but you dont have to cut around it exactly as the film is clear.  About the same cost as screenprinting at the moment but we are working on bringing the cost down.

3: Laser Printing:  Full colour (CMYK) and mono from high spec printer onto clear and white decal film.  The more traditional method and reasonable priced at around 1.25 (plus vat) to 2 (plus vat) per individual sheet.

4: Sticker printing:  Full colour (CMYK) onto adhesive backed matt or glossy paper or film.  The idea of the sticker especially for the warehosue/warning signs/police tapes series is to make decorating terrain lots quicker and easier than applying decals...just cut , peel and stick and job done.  The first series onto the glossy paper is perfect for signifying shiny plastic posters.  Its also lots cheaper for us to get produced so we can pass the savings  onto you guys and it is coming in at 1 (+vat) per sheet with up to 90 images on some of the sheets.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:07:23 AM by libertee »
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

most mornings i wake up grumpy.   sometimes i just let him sleep.

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Stickers and Decals.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:55:58 AM »

this is an example of some of the Oriental releases.   There are two other sheets in this series of Japanese pictograms. The second sheet is Martial Arts and the third sheet is War & Weapons.

Each individual pictogram is approximately 4mm high, the series of two stacked measure up at approx 9mm high.

Artwork is also being done for Dragons (stylised and traditional)
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline freakinacage

• heretic and heathen
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »
I'd go for tats myself. That said, not sure if I'd use em, but I can't see myself using anything else, need to get the hazard signs as it is

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:25:21 AM »

Offline fog99uk

• There's a 4 foot hight restriction don't ya know?
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »
I'd quite like to see Celtic imagery, celtic knot patterns would be perfect for terrain and vehicle detailing for my space dwarves, but I thought that Egyptian iconography would have a much broader appeal.

Offline Guivre

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »
Fascinated by the March Newsletter's comment about the next decal release being "Dragons". Any images of these as yet?

As for future plans, I'd be interested in decals of Pictish symbols for use as tattoos. Getting the twiddly bits on things like the dolphinesque "Pictish Beast", or even the "ordinary" bulls, has always been tricky for me on 25mm/28mm miniatures, so any help for things like that would be welcomed in this quarter!

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »
i sketched out 3 good dragons and then scanned them in.  i am fiddling with them at the moment because i am not quite happy with them when they are shrunk down into the sheet size....it is tricky getting enough detail in them but not so much that you cant see the shapes.

Pictish symbols shouldnt be too much of a problem

Offline Guivre

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 06:53:51 PM »
Sounds promising re the dragons - I can imagine the problems of size-reduction. Look forward to learning more!

For Pictish tattoos, I'd quite like a nice woad-blue colour, as although I'm doubtless biased by modern tattoo pigments, this would have been a readily-available dye source for the ancient Picts.

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »
have you thought about doing  car bumper/window stickers ?
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 11:29:35 AM »
have you thought about doing  car bumper/window stickers ?
what along the lines of

"HF are fabulous, come and buy our toys" and give them away with all purchases

that kind of things?

or do u mean for 28mm scale vehicles?

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 01:55:07 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of the first, but put them for sale or free if you spend X amount.
Could all ways ask the FoDders what they think as they will be the mobile bill boards  :lol:

but the second sound OK as well
                   For 2014

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 12:28:11 AM »
"My other miniature is a Libby"
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline DRAGON

• LORD OF WHITE METAL MOUNTAIN
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »
Shouldn't that reag "My other car is a gravbike" ?  :lol:
Heaven doesn't want me. Hell is afraid i will take over !
OFFICIAL WINNER UDOD 2012
Minis painted this year (2013) : Too few !
Heresy Dragon - paint in progress - coming soon... seriously !

http://foddragon.mybrute.com

Offline Guivre

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 03:44:17 PM »
Just seen the Hasslefree postings re the dragon decals on Facebook, but not being a Facebooker, decided to post here instead.

I'd quite like variety in both size and style of the dragon decals, mostly because I'd prefer to use them for individual figures, rather than necessarily a group/clan/gang. Without knowing what sort of shapes are involved, it's a bit difficult to suggest sizes specifically - e.g. a long thin dragon would go well on an arm, leg, chest or back, but for a round or heater shield you'd be better off with a "squarer" dragon, like the red dragon on the Welsh flag, say, and that might work well on the back of a figure too. I'm thinking both tattoos here and emblems on clothing/armour.

I'd likely be using them for 25mm/28mm figures predominantly, but again not knowing what they're like, wouldn't want to rule out the possibility of larger decals, for flags or even wall-paintings, for instance, especially if some are in bright, contrasting colours. Even straight black or white "outline" dragons would look impressive on a suitable background, of course.

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 09:15:13 AM »

these are sketches i did juggling the graphics tablet Kev bought me with traditional pencil/pen/ink.  I found it easier to sketch outlines in pencil and then go over the lines with ink, but it has been a long time since i have done any drawing at all so pretty scary!

These are experimenting with shapes and lines.  Logistically something that looks great on a sheet of A4 paper doesnt look so good when shrunk down to 5-10mm across hence the simplified lines that will enable someone to apply their own colour and to use the decals as a basis for adding their own detail.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:19:11 AM by libertee »

Offline Guivre

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »
Some interesting ideas here. The "dragon in a ring/crescent moon" would look good on the back of a leather jacket, gang-style, or on a shield, as an immediate thought. Not so sure about the dragon heads on their own, but the full-bodied beasts would have a number of possible applications, certainly.

As regards colour, I guess I was hoping the decals would save me having to paint things this small precisely enough!

Then again, if I could sketch like you (even using a pencil base, inked over), I wouldn't need to worry about my dubious painting "skills"...

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »
agree totally about the bottom dragon i thought it would look great on Andy's gangers.
As for colours i say do a mix of red, black and white on 1 sheet.
                   For 2014

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 08:51:53 AM »
Sally

If you can make the bottom one work on a round shield with a White dragon outlined in black, shaded in grey and on clear decal paper, then I'll have about 500 of them for my dwarf army!

:)
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »
which one Brandlin, the sketch on the right or the 'tattoo'-type stylised one on the left

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »
which one Brandlin, the sketch on the right or the 'tattoo'-type stylised one on the left

Err they're all one above the other on my screen!

I mean the one where you've only drawn the head on what appears to be a shield...

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 06:53:21 AM »

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 08:10:01 AM »
I like those red dragons. They make me want to paint up some ninjas.

Offline Guivre

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »
Yes indeed - the red dragons are really striking!

I'm fascinated by what some of the smaller items are on the two tattoo sheets as well. Looking forward to higher-resolution images post-Salute on the website maybe (was that too subtle a hint?!).

Peering at the fuzzy enlargment on-screen suggests some may be spiders or spidery things? Or maybe just spidery designs? Intriguing, certainly!

Hope the physio sorts you out OK Sally.

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »

is this better?

Offline Guivre

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 07:34:15 PM »
Yes much! Many thanks!

I see visions of tattooed figures appearing from the mists after Salutay...