Author Topic: Thinking of Emigrating  (Read 51779 times)

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • M.E. is NOT a figment of my imagination
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
Re: Thinking of Emigrating
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
Well thanks very much!...we may well take you up on that offer when we come to doing the proper scouting rather than just dreaming and planning.  This area does have a lot more of what would please both of us.  whats the nearest international airport?
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

most mornings i wake up grumpy.   sometimes i just let him sleep.

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline freakinacage

• heretic and heathen
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2011, 02:48:33 PM »

Kev wants /cougars/
Feisty older women?

More like hillsides, trees and nice soft grass (move east Devon somewhere other than the U.K and you're sorted), slightly warmer than here and a damn sight more sunny :)

All joking aside, what's wrong with north Devon or south Wales, despite slight inbreeding (in both areas..) they have the most beautiful countryside and seasides. South Wales is remarkably cheap too, and not as bad as people make out. Yeah the weather isn't as good as abroad but it isn't as bad as people make out

lol, such an insight into the whites lifes.
Terrifying isn't it?

Offline Avicenna

• Slave to Paint
  • Global Moderator
  • Fallen One
  • Dragon #39... The perils of rock 'n roll decadence
    • View Profile
    • The Jolly Bodgers
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2011, 03:18:38 PM »
East Devon is a little grey right now, but when the sun pokes through the clouds it really is beautiful :) I love it down here!
-Peter
My new Blog: http://www.jollybodgers.com

"...you describe yourself as an amateur. Don't forget that word comes from the French, meaning "lover of".
In artistic endeavours the very best results come from those who love what they do, whether or not they get paid for it "
-Bewildered Badger '07

Offline Lorbaat

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »
I lived in central Florida for three years.

I would never, ever move there voluntarily.

Offline Enazel

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »

New IPs just need to be entered into Sagepay and then we can re-point the DNS!

or did you mean are we ready to move?

and this really pricked my interested I guessing we getting a new payment / website for hasslefree. Hope it all goes well.

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »
It isnt that the UK is bad, it is just dont want to spend the rest of my life here without experiencing other countries and cultures.  When Kev and i got together one of the things we both wanted to do is travel.  Culturally i have lived in an English village and hated every minute, i have also lived in cities and although i loved it, it isnt what i want for my kids. Anything in between is unaffordable.  I dont want to spend the next 20 years worrying about mortgage payments/ever-rising utility bills/social issues and then retire to be doing exactly the same.  I dont want to live for work 24/7 i want to work so that i can live my life, afterall i only have one of them and it is going past at an extremely fast rate of knots right now. 

Yes i know they are going to be social issues/ educational issues there wherever we go however if we emigrate we can afford a larger house and better standard of living for less money than we are paying out now.  The children can experience new cultures and the lower outgoings will mean we can do what we want to do which is travel.  If i need to i can home teach

Two near-death experiences in as many years had made me change my priorities in life as to who and what is important to me, my responsibility lies now with providing the best standard of life for myself and my kids that i can and i dont think UK holds that for me at this moment in time.  I have let a couple of life-changing experiences pass me by already in my life and regretted not having the guts to act on them, if it doesnt work out then we can come back!

Where exactly we go isnt that important as home is where the heart is, so as long as Kev and I are together that is all that counts, and my husband and my kids are my life
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:37:17 PM by libertee »
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline jeff_lamarche

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2011, 05:06:54 PM »
For us the main consderation is schools and where we eventually end up will be based upon that and also where there will be employment opportunities for the kids. Also we dont particularly want to end up in an area where 90% of hurricanes pass over our immediate heads!  We bought our house where we are now based on the catchment area of a school!

Well, the hurricanes are rarely dangerous that far inland. You'll get some nasty rain a few times year and that's about it. Storms that are strong enough to cause damage that far inland don't come along more often than once every few decades, so wouldn't be too concerned on that front.

There are a lot of jobs in the tourism trade at Disney/Universal Studios/Sea World and all the parasitic industries that rise up around that, so it's not a bad area for teenagers to find their first jobs, but when it comes to finding a career, unless they want to go into entertainment, hospitality, or retail, it's a tough area.

Florida is one of the few states that doesn't have income tax at the state level, which makes it inviting in a lot of ways, but the schools are really horrible. IIRC, school funding only comes from the lottery, not from real estate taxes the way it does in most US States. On the other hand, Florida is much more lax than most states about homeschooling or private schools, making it bad if you plan to put your kids in public school, good otherwise.

Good luck with your search, and I feel for you. We've ended up staying in the same place despite plans to move for years because it's hard to find the time to do everything that needs to be done to sell our house, find a new one, etc. while running a business.

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2011, 06:24:43 PM »
Kev wants cougars

Kev wants Milfs? I thought he had a very gorgeous one already :).
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline DRAGON

• LORD OF WHITE METAL MOUNTAIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2011, 06:40:49 PM »
Why dont we all club together and buy a tropical island ?  We could call it The Island of DOOM !  muahahahaha
Heaven doesn't want me. Hell is afraid i will take over !
OFFICIAL WINNER UDOD 2012
Minis painted this year (2013) : Too few !
Heresy Dragon - paint in progress - coming soon... seriously !

http://foddragon.mybrute.com

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »
Well this is just the view of someone on the other side of the world so it probably isn't too relevant, but when my wife and I lived in the UK for our OE we found that that area was the best place to experience different cultures. To you I guess they are probably the same old same old but I don't think there is any other place in the world that you could take a flight of less than 2 hours and experience a dozen completely different cultures. Flights are exceedingly cheap there with Ryanair easyjet etc (if they are still running) although getting the time to do these trips is understandably extremely hard. Other places do have a wide range of cultures but the only place I can think of that would have the variety of Europe would be Asia. Everywhere is different though so I'm sure wherever you choose you'll get the variety your after.

I also agree with the Island of Doom solution

Offline Bahir

• Ta-daaaa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »
For us the main consderation is schools and where we eventually end up will be based upon that and also where there will be employment opportunities for the kids. Also we dont particularly want to end up in an area where 90% of hurricanes pass over our immediate heads!  We bought our house where we are now based on the catchment area of a school!
IIRC, school funding only comes from the lottery, not from real estate taxes the way it does in most US States. On the other hand, Florida is much more lax than most states about homeschooling or private schools, making it bad if you plan to put your kids in public school, good otherwise.

A portion of our state and local taxes go to pay for public education.  While the lottery does give funds to Florida Schools, it is not the exclusive source of funds for public education.

The closest REAL International Airport would be Atlanta, which is about a 4-5 hour drive north of us.  Other Closer airports would be Tallahasse, Pensacola, Panama City, and Valparaiso.  Panama City, and Val-p being the closest to us.
[link]http://wargamesunlimited.net/[/link] Open Source War Games

Offline Citizen Sade

• Big, soft Buffy fanboy
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2011, 07:50:47 PM »
Why dont we all club together and buy a tropical island ?
Read Lord of the Flies and decide who gets to be Piggy. Then tell me if you think it's still a good idea.

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »
Why dont we all club together and buy a tropical island ?
Read Lord of the Flies and decide who gets to be Piggy. Then tell me if you think it's still a good idea.

Must it be Piggy? Can't it be Goatty? 'Cos we already have one...
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »
thats a very dark book, i didnt like reading it as a child,

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »
I'm down with the Island of Doom, I call shotgun on NOT being Piggy (no glasses or asmar).  I really hope that you don't move to the US as shipping from the US to Canada takes weeks, yet shipping from where you are now is six days tops.  Frivolities aside, I fell that Canada is safer, but I am biased, I have however been to Florida, and while the weather was nice, I need mountains and land with some semblance of being above sea level to be happy.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline GearHead

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2011, 04:20:25 AM »
thats a very dark book, i didnt like reading it as a child,

Heh. Dark, yes, but when I read it in high school I thought it rang very true.

Say, ever thought about the Pacific Northwest? Oregon/Washington State/British Colombia are all reputed to be very nice. I've been thinking about moving up there after I finally graduate once and for all. Give California a miss; it's run by complete idiots.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:23:21 AM by GearHead »
"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2011, 08:26:01 AM »
I'd mentioned Seattle, pointing out that I could try and get a job at Privateer, but that was turned down because it's as far to Disney from there are we are now :lol:
In the war-torn darkness of the future, there is only Grymn.

Deep Space Nine: Officially not as good as Stargate.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Scout_II

• Worthless Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2011, 08:59:14 AM »
Long time lurker, first time poster.

While you are looking about at different sunny locales, be sure to take into account the weather.  Florida is great until you have to evacuate for your first hurricane, or your second, or your third...  We retired down to the Redneck Riviera in 2003 and then in 2005 we had to evacuate for 4 hurricanes in one season.  Bought our house in the Black Hills that November.  Now, we just go to the beach on vacation and leave well ahead of the storms.

Considering what you want and where you are coming from - I would suggest Tennessee, Kentucky or the Carolinas (at least an hour off the coast).   You can get the mountains (little ones in the form of the Appalachians) and the beaches both within a day trip drive.  Most the inland areas have nice rivers or lakes for swimming and you do get some seasonal variety as well.  They are far enough south though that you avoid the bad winter weather.  Lots of sun and elbow room (and the ability to get a plot of land to grow some veggies if that is your thing).

Compared to Europe - pretty much anywhere in the US that you look will provide more bang for the buck, with the exception of certain metro areas on the East and Left coasts.  Assuming you will be continuing your business in one form or another - you will likely want to take a look at the state business climate.  Some states (where I relocated) have no personal income tax, no corporate income tax and very low property and sales taxes.  Other states can be quite onerous.  While it isn't one of the new priorities, if you can remove it from the table of things to bug you - all that much better.

On the schools - it is a lot of hit and miss, though I myself would stick to private schools or home schooling.  Yes, I am that snobby - but more to the point, private schools in most areas of the US are quite affordable (again, barring the East and Left coasts).  We offer an assistance program for our employees, and right now the average annual tuition for them is $3500 per student per year (schools in Pensacola, FL; Houston, TX and Omaha, NE).  Should be able to have Kevin pull a couple of late nights to cover that.  :lol:

You might also start to look at the visa process now.  I know we brought a designer to our company in Texas from Brazil - and that took about 2 years to get all the paperwork squared away.  There are various legal issues that need to be figured out.  If you can make arrangements with a company in the US to sponsor Kevin under a PERM Labor Certification - you don't have to worry about the renewals and all of that (or risk forgetting to renew the Visa).

Anywho, don't be afraid to make the move - wherever you decide to move to.  I myself am somewhat partial to the states - after living in the UK, Germany, Turkey, Japan, Australia and a half dozen states here...the only other place that we considered when we retired was Australia.  Unfortunately, Australia is god-awful far away from everything else, and you pay for that.

As far as Canada being safer - last time I was there I was attacked...by a moose, who apparently didn't like my tent.  :grrr:

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »
Thanks for that :thumbup:
In the war-torn darkness of the future, there is only Grymn.

Deep Space Nine: Officially not as good as Stargate.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2011, 11:50:32 AM »
I still find this thread depressing. I'd beg you to stay but I doubt it'd have much effect :(.
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline Vermis

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Minisculpture
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
As far as Canada being safer - last time I was there I was attacked...by a moose, who apparently didn't like my tent.  :grrr:

I want to go to Canada.
minisculpture.co.uk
DanG on greens:
...before it even gets put into production the response that starts with 'nice job' ends in 'now do another...'

Offline freakinacage

• heretic and heathen
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2011, 08:25:18 PM »
I still find this thread depressing. I'd beg you to stay but I doubt it'd have much effect :(.
aye that

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
I don't know if anyone has suggested South Africa yet but according to a friend of mine it's great there.
Houses and boats are fairly cheap and it's a sportsfisher's heaven.
The food is simmilar to ours and they all speak good english.
National sport seems to be rugby and the climate isn't to bad but I doubt it you'll get snow.
To top it all, my friend found it so much to his liking there he married a SA lass  :lmao

Offline parthvader

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Battles
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2011, 08:43:37 AM »

Seconded. Britain just would not be the same without Hasslefree. You can't leave!

In any case, although any place in the US would probably provide more bang for your bucks, there are some advantages to being in the UK as well (like free health care) - after all, you have already been paying into the system all your life, and you would just lose it if you moved abroad...

Offline fog99uk

• There's a 4 foot hight restriction don't ya know?
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2011, 10:13:36 PM »
there are some advantages to being in the UK as well (like free health care)

And design rights laws.