Author Topic: Thinking of Emigrating  (Read 51778 times)

Offline Nosferatu

• Dark Lord
  • For Grek
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/nosferatu/
Re: Thinking of Emigrating
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2011, 11:21:15 PM »
well its narrowed down to Florida ( for the heat and cheap property), Colorado cos some excellent other sculptors live there and we like the mountains/lakes thing ( and it is still warmer than UK).

Furthest North is still Chicago for the culture and if it was on the west Coast rather than the east then Seattle is getting good points scored

The US? Your mad! ...I guess property prices are cheap at the moment though...

Melbourne is the only answer worth considering!  :wink:
Heron Island photos done! See blog...

Gideon

« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2011, 07:55:57 AM »
@ Kev and Sally,

If you want the skinny on emigrating to the far side of the world, let me know.  I have lived in NZ for 5.5years and know about it about what it's like to up sticks and move all the way around the world.

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • M.E. is NOT a figment of my imagination
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »
Melbourne is the only answer worth considering!  :wink:

Only problem with Melbourne is it is in Australia, a place that holds bad associations for me and part of kick that made us want to leave UK.

Pity cos Australia is a gorgeous place
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

most mornings i wake up grumpy.   sometimes i just let him sleep.

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline Nomad

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »
Don't consider Melbourne part of Australia, the rest of us Australian's don't ;)

Sad to hear you have sad associations with our little piece of paradise. You really should come out here and readjust your perceptions, it is a large island, after all, so I'm sure you can find somewhere that'll make you happy out this way.

Offline Baldemyr

• Minion
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
    • My Art
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2011, 02:34:17 PM »
As a Canadian that came to this subject to spew my pro Canadian nonsense...I now want to live in a whole bunch of other places.  So many amazing sights to see in all these posts-its incredible.  Heck...those pictures of beaches in Scotland?  So freaking cool.

Seriously though, society is changing everywhere and the media is making a bigger deal of it than it really is.  Here in Ontario Canada, the city of Toronto is now less AngloSaxon then near and far eastern-  people panic and percieve all sorts of bad stuff...but the reality is our crime rates are still falling- just like in our brothers in the US to the south.   
  If you DO decide to come to Canada-(or the US) you will love the scale of things.  Most dont understand our love affair with big cars but when you see just how spread out it all is-its amazing.  Also the people are far better and far nicer then our media portrays us. 

Offline Bahir

• Ta-daaaa!
  • Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2011, 03:12:52 PM »
well its narrowed down to Florida ( for the heat and cheap property),

What part of Florida?  As a cracker, I can tell you that we have several sub-cultures depending on where you live.  I've spent most of my life in the Pan-handle, but I've also lived as far south as Orlando.

I was traveling down Interstate 75 last week and I couldn't believe how cheap some of the land was going for around the Ocala area.  It really is a buyers market here in FL.

I don't care much for Colorado personally.  My dad use to live there.  Too cold, and the air is too thin for a Florida country boy like me.  Give me the beach, the woods and fresh water springs any time.
[link]http://wargamesunlimited.net/[/link] Open Source War Games

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2011, 08:26:41 AM »
The other night i was looking at the Lake, Seminole, Orange, Osceola areas predominantly but i did go one county further north into Marion.  Property in Lake is really cheap compared to UK prices. 
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline Avicenna

• Slave to Paint
  • Global Moderator
  • Fallen One
  • Dragon #39... The perils of rock 'n roll decadence
    • View Profile
    • The Jolly Bodgers
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2011, 08:45:14 AM »
Give me the beach, the woods and fresh water springs any time.
That sounds idyllic!
-Peter
My new Blog: http://www.jollybodgers.com

"...you describe yourself as an amateur. Don't forget that word comes from the French, meaning "lover of".
In artistic endeavours the very best results come from those who love what they do, whether or not they get paid for it "
-Bewildered Badger '07

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
Give me the beach, the woods and fresh water springs any time.
That sounds idyllic!

what sounds even more idyllic is a 4 bed, 2 bathroom property with double garage on 1.2 acres of land on the edge of a Lake for USD$72,00 or look at this 5 bed place

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=09&salerent=0&pid=10021153

tell me guys where in the Uk could you live like this for 85,000?

Offline jeff_lamarche

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2011, 01:11:25 PM »
what sounds even more idyllic is a 4 bed, 2 bathroom property with double garage on 1.2 acres of land on the edge of a Lake for USD$72,00 or look at this 5 bed place

Out of curiosity, have you ever been to Florida? If so, have you ever been outside the touristy areas?

My wife and I were considering moving into this exact area about a year ago. Like you guys, we're both employed by a business we own (well, with one partner). Both of our parents live in the southern part of the state, and we've vacationed in Florida several times, and those inexpensive houses are really attractive. My wife researched it a lot and we went to visit a few cities there, including Davenport and nearby Winter Haven.

But there are downsides. Florida's economy is in the toilet and their schools are horrible (even if you don't plan to send your kids to public school, it's important to know that because it affects re-sale value here). You will likely find a very, very hard time getting health insurance and it will be very expensive and crappy health insurance. The crime levels in much of Florida is really high and the unemployment is very high. That doesn't directly matter for you guys, but it matters in terms of your neighbors, the community, and the safety and quality of life. A lot of times, when property is cheap, there's a reason for it that's not obvious from a real estate listing.

Where you'd be is the suburbs for Disney World, and it's basically a bedroom community. The city has very little that generates income other than retail establishments. Traffic is absolutely horrible. Crime isn't bad in Davenport itself, but lots of the areas around there are among the unsafest in our country. Over 10% of the people in Davenport live below the poverty line and considerably more than that do in some of the surrounding areas.

It's also brutally hot and humid in the summer. 92F in central florida feels much, much hotter than it really is.

I'm not sure what your main reasons for emigrating are, but please do your research before committing to anything and come on over for a visit (yeah, I know it's expensive with kids, my wife went alone to scout out places for that reason).  I know exactly how attractive those inexpensive houses are, but in the end, we decided against it. I'm not saying it's not the right move for you, just look hard before you leap, that's a big move.

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2011, 01:27:45 PM »
You've kind of summed up a lot of my reservations about that area of the 'States... although i hadn't even considered the schooling side of things, other than greater travelling times for the kids :erm:
In the war-torn darkness of the future, there is only Grymn.

Deep Space Nine: Officially not as good as Stargate.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2011, 01:31:02 PM »
Thanks Jeff,

yes we have loads of research to do yet, emigrating isnt something that is going to happen in the very near fuure as we have business committments in the UK and family ties. The house i posted the example of was just to show people to us what the attraction is to emigrating

When we do get to the stage where we have to sell our house/apply for visas etc we will research more thoroughly potential areas for moving to and wont buy immediately, we will rent for a period of time and scout the area to find where we want to be.  For us the main consderation is schools and where we eventually end up will be based upon that and also where there will be employment opportunities for the kids. Also we dont particularly want to end up in an area where 90% of hurricanes pass over our immediate heads!  We bought our house where we are now based on the catchment area of a school!

thanks for the advice though, much appreciated!

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2011, 01:31:48 PM »
You've kind of summed up a lot of my reservations about that area of the 'States... although i hadn't even considered the schooling side of things, other than greater travelling times for the kids :erm:

Kev wants mountains/cougars/fishing/hunting.  I want heat and beaches!

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2011, 01:48:35 PM »
More like hillsides, trees and nice soft grass (move east Devon somewhere other than the U.K and you're sorted), slightly warmer than here and a damn sight more sunny :)

And beer.

Steak would be nice too.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2011, 01:49:06 PM »
What's for dinner?

Are we there yet?

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2011, 01:52:49 PM »
What's for dinner?

turkey, bacon, onion and spinach steamed pudding with mashed potatoes, gravy, broccoli and carrots

Are we there yet?

New IPs just need to be entered into Sagepay and then we can re-point the DNS!

or did you mean are we ready to move?

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
Neither. I was being silly. Sugar rush from the lollies I nicked from the packing bench.

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2011, 01:55:11 PM »
Neither. I was being silly. Sugar rush from the lollies I nicked from the packing bench.

tut, tut, tut.  you do realise i may need to punish you now dont you?.......  :whip:

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2011, 01:59:02 PM »
The day just gets better :D

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »
so thats no beef, no lamb and no alcohol for about a week...is that enough punishment?

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2011, 02:04:11 PM »
How about pork? :angel:

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
How about pork? :angel:

thats what i love about you, you do pretend innocence so well!

Offline Enazel

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »
lol, such an insight into the whites lifes.

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2011, 02:20:44 PM »
lol, such an insight into the whites lifes.

Sorry   :oops:  i forget sometimes that i am not in private message mode!  Its because Kev is at the Ripley office and i am at home, i miss having someone to banter with.  Sarcasm is a bit lost on a sickly 8 yr old!

Offline Bahir

• Ta-daaaa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2011, 02:21:33 PM »
I agree with Jeff in many of his comments about that part of Florida.  I went to University in Lakeland, not far from Davenport, and I've been to Davenport.  To be honest I don't prefer that part of Florida as it is rather touristy and the beaches arn't all that.

Have you considered Bay, Walton, Okaloosa, or Santa Rosa Counties? http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/county-map/florida-county-map.gif They are in the pan-handle, they have tremendous amounts off woods, wild life (its not uncommon to see bears, and we see at least 2 to 10 deer at night), and a few hills.  In other words its not as flat as as south Florida.

A word about beaches. After the Florida Keys IMO Gulf coast beaches are the best.  Here is one our family likes http://www.floridastateparks.org/standrews/

There are also many fresh water springs and rivers to enjoy.

Schools are a mixed bag.  Depending on where you live some school are better than others.  My oldest is dual enrolled.  That means she is in High School, a junior or 3rd year, and she is also enrolled in the local college taking college courses.  There are some good public schools, most charter schools are fantastic, and there are many good private schools.  In Florida home schooling is always an option.  My wife is a teacher and an educational therapist, and if you have any specific questions I can pick her brain for you.

As for animals for Kev, I mentioned the bears and deer, we also have alligators, panthers, wild cats, etc.

If you all decide to take a scouting tour and visit Florida, please let us know.  My wife and I would be glad to meet you and show you around our part of Florida!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:25:53 PM by Bahir »
[link]http://wargamesunlimited.net/[/link] Open Source War Games