Author Topic: Thinking of Emigrating  (Read 51777 times)

Bodhi

Re: Thinking of Emigrating
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2010, 09:38:21 AM »
In Britain you can defend your person and your property with "whatever comes to hand". I just happen to have a few swords lying around.

Not to sure but I think the swedish laws are more along the line of "You can defend yourself verbally - as long as you don't talk to loud but you're allways free to run. Unless you're a woman who is dressed in the wrong type of clothes. In that case you're fully entitled to lose a rapetrial. Free of charge"

Something like that.

Offline Lowtardog

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2010, 08:14:41 PM »
I vote the Falklands too...it is lovely there and you get four seasons in one day...it's miles away from distractions and you will see stuff there that you will not see anywhere else...

It is the simple life there though...

:shock: It makes Take the high road (showing my age here) look like an episode of Dallas :wink: Its Ok if you can shear sheep I suppose :D

Offline fog99uk

• There's a 4 foot hight restriction don't ya know?
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2010, 09:02:57 PM »
On the Falklands you'd have to be careful of the minefields too.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Big, soft Buffy fanboy
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Nah, it's the penguins you need to watch out for. And the Bennies.

bigironvault

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2010, 09:25:19 PM »
I say CANADA. The Great White North, land of Universal Healthcare, the Beaver, Hockey, where everyone says "Sorry" and means it, and great BEER! But then I'm biased of course...

I dont want to perpetuate the stereotype but this is pretty funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0id9fUYb95A

Seriously though Sally, if you're considering of coming on this side of the Atlantic, shoot me an email to arrange a phone call. I would love to have a chat with you about it. My neighbours just came from Sweden actually and they love it much more here!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:31:23 AM by bigironvault »

Offline Nosferatu

• Dark Lord
  • For Grek
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/nosferatu/
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2010, 10:06:34 PM »
It's scary how little mention my part of the world has gotten in this thread. We have a lot of coast! ...and any climate you fancy. Tasmania is beautiful, if a little remote. Queensland is tropical, and full of slighty strange people (it's something to do with the humidity). WA is also pretty remote, but they do have great weather ...and lots of mines. SA is ...um, backward but they have great wine! NSW is pretty dull (inland) and all glitz on the coast. Not a lot of substance there...

Best looking at Victoria. Melbourne is the cultural hub of Australia and not a bad place to live. You can also get away from the city a little and live on the coast, but not be too far away from civilisation.

...and NZ is only a couple of hours on a plane. A great place to visit! Let's face it, there's a lot to be said for living a long way away from most of your relatives.  :wink:

Another feature of living here is that we have a far lower gun-related death toll than some countries, because every nutter isn't 'defending' themselves.  :wry:
Heron Island photos done! See blog...

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
Japan has the lowest gun related crime rate of any country in the world, but does seem to have a much larger knife/sword rate.

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2010, 08:15:01 AM »
...and NZ is only a couple of hours on a plane. A great place to visit! Let's face it, there's a lot to be said for living a long way away from most of your relatives.  :wink:

A lot of mine live in Oz  :P
In the war-torn darkness of the future, there is only Grymn.

Deep Space Nine: Officially not as good as Stargate.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Bungle

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2010, 10:59:16 AM »
Well..... avoid NZ and Oz....

Canada is too close to USA.

RSA.... lots of little problems with foreigners working.

Japan... too much is different, language is the biggest problem.

Better make it the north of England, Southerners think its a separate country, and the language is close enough to get by.
Bungle         Steders loves goats                Ben Loves badgers

Offline freakinacage

• heretic and heathen
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2010, 07:38:11 PM »
Better make it the north of England, Southerners think its a separate country, and the language is close enough to get by.
are you kidding me?!! i find it hard to believe we come from a common language. most villages can't even understand the next one along!!

Offline Bungle

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2010, 08:29:26 PM »
are you kidding me?!! i find it hard to believe we come from a common language. most villages can't even understand the next one along!!

Eh?

:angel:

Offline Lorbaat

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2010, 08:04:50 PM »
Seriously*, there couldn't be a better time to become an American.  Look into it!

*Not really
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:05:44 PM by Lorbaat »

Offline BlackJack

• Chosen Heretic
  • Embrace the Horror
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »
 :erm: Sadly, I don't think I'd want to try and sell you living in the good, old US-of-A at the moment ... not unless you desire to live in a society where a politician can get 45% of the vote in her district merely by stating her political affiliation and going out of her way to say nothing regarding policy otherwise.

Being American, I find it difficult to determine what, specifically, our European counterparts find so distasteful and unacceptable about our society (granted, there are a lot of options). 

Is it the religious nuts?  The gun nuts?  The low quality of public education in most places?  The blind push for coporate profit/welfare over the sensible needs of the populace?  The strong-arm political tactics at home and abroad?  The sense of entitlement at home and abroad?  The inability to live with the guilt of using military force as a primary means of solving problems?

Not that I'm leaving the country (just yet), but I really am curious what heads the list of reasons that the USA is uninhabitable--and I simply will not recognize 'a dearth of vowels' as a legitimate response!  :silly

ASKED KEV FOR:
Scooby Doo Crew physiques (December 2006)  check
Anthropomorphized Sci-fi Animals (April 2007)  check
Female Mechanic (October 2007)
Rocketteer (December 2007)
Child with Zed Head Mace (May 2010)
Reman Pugiators (October 2010)
1970s Nosferatu Pimp (December 2010)

Offline Wanderer

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2010, 08:49:25 PM »
Its the Twinkies.

:wink:
http://plagueofones.mybrute.com

Hammer'N'Ales Wargames Club, Hucknall, Nottingham. Tuesdays and Sundays for fantasy, sci-fi and historical gaming. See here for details. (external link to UKCord wargaming & modelling forum)

Offline Bungle

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2010, 10:31:45 PM »

Not that I'm leaving the country (just yet), but I really am curious what heads the list of reasons that the USA is uninhabitable--and I simply will not recognize 'a dearth of vowels' as a legitimate response!  :silly

lack of free national health system    :twisted:

Offline Citizen Sade

• Big, soft Buffy fanboy
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2010, 10:59:18 PM »
:scratchhead:

lack of free at the point of delivery national health system    :twisted:
:twisted:

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2010, 11:24:16 PM »
America's great, shame about it being full of Americans though. :angel:

TashaG

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2011, 02:24:54 AM »
I can't imagine living in a country where you can't defend yourself. 

I cant imagine living in a country where I'd feel the need to defend myself constantly with lethal force. I think its all the tea keeping us calm :D

Believe me that having a gun in the US is not needed. A lot of our "gun culture" is exaggerated. Of course I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (the most liberal part of the US).

As for moving. I would recommend Canada. The social safety net stuff (ie Socialized Medicine) works pretty well there. We have friends who live up in BC and they really like living in Vancouver.

I am sorry to say that I would no recommend coming to the US to live. esp if you have an existing medical condition and no corporate job to give you health insurance.

Most Americans are ok, it's just the loud, obnoxious minority that give us nice people a bad reputation.

Offline Bergil

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2011, 01:28:19 PM »
People's Republic of Yorkshire.....  :whistle:

If you want windswept beaches, we have lots.....

:D

That's exactly what I was thinking! One day I'll get to Yorkshire :D

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2011, 10:05:30 AM »
Well. The idiots up here have just voted the SNP back into government so I may be emigrating, to England.

Offline by-tor

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2011, 06:48:58 PM »
People's Republic of Yorkshire.....  :whistle:

If you want windswept beaches, we have lots.....

:D
:metoo: :metoo:
The early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese

Happiness is a fully charged pulse rifle

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2011, 09:57:29 PM »
I just re-read the first post. Nice beach called waimarama close to me. My wife grew up there. Nice and warm in the summer. No snow in the winter. A little bit out of the way which means people go there but not by the ton. Incidentally my wife's family are selling lifestle blocks  :wink: pretty pricey though. oh yeah its in NZ
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 07:49:28 AM by beefcake »

Offline Enazel

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2011, 07:17:19 AM »
Got to agree with those who saying north england. Some lovely places in Yorkshire and it's surrounding area, and probable a lot cheaper living costs than those southern ugly places. :)

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
  • M.E. is NOT a figment of my imagination
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2011, 10:45:05 PM »
well its narrowed down to Florida ( for the heat and cheap property), Colorado cos some excellent other sculptors live there and we like the mountains/lakes thing ( and it is still warmer than UK).

Furthest North is still Chicago for the culture and if it was on the west Coast rather than the east then Seattle is getting good points scored
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:11:16 PM by Hasslefriesian »
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

most mornings i wake up grumpy.   sometimes i just let him sleep.

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline ixminis

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2011, 03:17:55 AM »
Colorado please! That's the closest to me AND more importantly you'd also have alot of great painters in that area as well!!! Pwwwweeeease!!!!
MichaelG / IXMINIS (I-X-Minis)
If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly.
http://www.tinywars.com