Author Topic: What is a typical HF customer.  (Read 68720 times)

Offline Jubal

• Master Engineer
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Exilian Webforum
Re: What is a typical HF customer.
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2010, 09:38:04 AM »
Only just noticed this...

1:  painter/gamer/collector/sculptor ?

Gamer firstly I guess, shortly followed by sculptor/converter; painter comes a lot further down the line.

2:   under 21/21 - 45, 45+
Under 21

3:  male/female
Male

4:   Looking for cute chicks/ conversion bits/ soldiers / something nobody else makes
I mostly buy WoT stuff, but I've picked up several really nice models for other things... eclectic is the name of the game. I still think a Spartan dwarf would be cool.

5:   UK/ Eu/ Non-Eu
UK

6:   Generally buy from a retailer / prefer manufacturer
Generally buy from HF. :P

7: how long bought HF?..... less than 1 yr, 2yrs, 3 yrs, 4 yrs+
Prolly a year now, mebbe a bit more.

8:   Found through recommendation / search engine
I found heresy first and HF via the FoD.

9:  Anything we could do better/ anything you think we are doing drastically wrong/ what you think we do so well that makes us better than anyone else?
You have the best customer service of just about any company I've ever bought ANYTHING from. Range-wise, some more random fantasyness of various sorts would be nice... the majority of the human range, par exemple, is female and not wearing too much, which looks awesome but often has its limits in gaming terms. :P

10: Any other comments?
*insert generic fawning praise here*
Dwarf & Chaos Dwarf Warhammer Player, World of Twilight Fubarnii Player

Editor of A Call To Arms (Wargming E-Zine);
http://s1.zetaboards.com/A_Call_To_Arms
Admin of Exilian Forums;
http://s9.zetaboards.com/exilian

Offline BlackJack

• Chosen Heretic
  • Embrace the Horror
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2010, 03:26:49 AM »
1:  I'm a gamer and also a collector.  I'd like to be an amateur sculptor someday, but definitely lack the skill.

2:   21-45 age range.  27 to be specific.

3:  male

4:   The things that have attracted me were the modern adventurers and associated zombies.  After taking that initial hook, there were other things like the martial artists, the Sleiti, and Grymm that got a few buys.

5:   I'm Non-EU and hail from the USA.

6:   I have generally bought from retailers until that became unhealthy for the old wallet.  With the advent of the Internet, I've shifted to purchasing from manufacturers.

7:   I've bought Hasslefree for 3 years now, I think.  OR, at least, I've stalked that long and can't remember when I first purchased.

8:   I found HF by trolling the Internet looking for weird miniatures and literally trying to track down every miniature manufacturing company that made things other than diminutive cavalry units.

9:   I certainly cannot say that there's anything that you're doing wrong.  What you are doing right is releasing kickass miniatures of impressively high quality.  When I purchase these miniatures, I do so not only because they appropriately fit into a game
I'm playing/running, but because I feel that the sculptor (Kev) has a genuine (and joyous?) inspiration in making that specific miniature.  It may be presumptous to say, but Kev's work makes me feel like he enjoys his career and isn't getting ordered into making a cookie-cutter product because his boss told him to do so.  That impression of pride and passion is what gets me to buy.  Combine that with his willingness to listen to the community and his ability to pull pretty weird stuff off really well and you have an outfit that I will never stop keeping tabs on.

10: Oh, yeah.  The 'sweeties' and seasonal discounts are a good idea--it gives me time to build up my wishlist.  AND it helps me to remember that there are flesh and blood folks on the other end of the order doing their best to keep the community pleased (and hopefully not getting too banged up in the process!).  Long live HF and the paradigm by which it operates!   :notworthy:

ASKED KEV FOR:
Scooby Doo Crew physiques (December 2006)  check
Anthropomorphized Sci-fi Animals (April 2007)  check
Female Mechanic (October 2007)
Rocketteer (December 2007)
Child with Zed Head Mace (May 2010)
Reman Pugiators (October 2010)
1970s Nosferatu Pimp (December 2010)

Offline fog99uk

• There's a 4 foot hight restriction don't ya know?
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »
1: painter/gamer/collector/sculptor?
A: Gamer, Collector and Builder (making LARGE vehicles don't really count as sculpting).

A: 25

3: male/female
A: Male

4: Looking for cute chicks/ conversion bits/ soldiers / something nobody else makes
A: Looking for...GRYMN! Oh, and the odd conversion but. Also the occasional other fantastic figure.

5: UK/ Eu/ Non-Eu
A: UK

6: Generally buy from a retailer / prefer manufacturer
A: Got my first few from a local retailer but when I went back and ordered the entire Grymn range through them nothing came of it so I now go direct to HF.

A: Roughly a year, but you're stuck with me now.

8: Found through recommendation/search engine
A: Through a friend who bought some Grymn to use for Necromunda.

9: Anything we could do better/ anything you think we are doing drastically wrong/ what you think we do so well that makes us better than anyone else?
A: I'd like to see progress bars in the WIP section for everything you are working on (sort of like on Antenociti's perhaps). As we all know you're customer service deserves an award... I guess we should nominate you for one.

There are a bunch of items that look nearly finished but don't seem to be progressing; Cyborg Kjaran for example. I'd like to see these finished and available to order.

Offline Lurching Dead

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2010, 08:22:47 PM »
1:  painter/gamer/collector/sculptor ?

Painter/Collector, although never get time to paint. It's an ambition  :D

2:   under 21/21 - 45, 45+

21-45

3:  male/female

Male

4:   Looking for cute chicks/ conversion bits/ soldiers / something nobody else makes

Something no one else makes. Hasslefree's figs lept out at me when I first saw them and many similar figs such as the adventurers just don't have a comparison.

5:   UK/ Eu/ Non-Eu

UK

6:   Generally buy from a retailer / prefer manufacturer

Direct from manufacturer

3 years.

8:   Found through recommendation / search engine

Search engine. Heresy first, then FoD, then Hasslefree and never looked back.

9:  Anything we could do better/ anything you think we are doing drastically wrong/ what you think we do so well that makes us better than anyone else?

Sometimes you put first a little too much to the detriment of you and yours. Stop it  :whistle:
Your outstanding customer service makes you so different to everyone else.

I think your range of Adventurers is inspired. All of your "not" figures are great. The whole range is really versatile for so many different games, or for just painting. I think that Kev needs to continue doing commissions for others if it's bringing in money. I regularly see stuff advertised as Kev White, so it's a commodity to capitalise on, especially in a time of need.  Saying that, you've got so many great ranges to expand on. Just keep on keeping on!

:thumbup:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:23:43 PM by Lurching Dead »
"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her." W.C. Fields

Offline Bergil

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2010, 06:03:04 PM »

sculptor/painter/collector/gamer (In that order!)

24, going on 50

male

4:   Looking for cute chicks/ conversion bits/ soldiers / something nobody else makes

Cute chicks are always good, but I like something a bit different. Especially fantasy stuff.

England

Manufacturer if I can.

Ooooh, 2 years or so.

Luck, must have randomly stumbled across HF.

9:  Anything we could do better/ anything you think we are doing drastically wrong/ what you think we do so well that makes us better than anyone else?

Quality, quality sculpts and miniatures that are a bit different.

Keep on Hassling!

Annie

« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2010, 01:11:57 PM »
Painter and gamer

under 21

female :lalala:

I think everything I have bought off you guys has been female, so it will have to be "cute chicks". I just think there aren't enough female minis out there, and there should be, as women are ace, and in my opinion, much nicer to paint. I'm already in a male dominated environment, I'm going to put as many women in my army as possible!

UK

buy straight from yourselves, get sweets

less than a year

Possibly on a forum, could be Carpe Noctem, can't remember though

Put measurements on everything, The things I have bought so far vary quite a lot in size and it's hard to tell until they get here how well they will fit in with other stuff. I like the lovely HUMAN service, the sweets of course, and that you seem groovy people is enough to make me happy to throw my cash at you, far far more than GW or something, I feel like a part of me dies when I give them money. With you guys, it feels a bit like I have contributed to paying to getting that wonky door fixed, or a slightly posher brand of cereal or something  :lalala:

Bits of women for conversions would be cool. Torso's perhaps (boobs.) And angry heads.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Lurker
  • All to the all, by my mustard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2010, 04:20:12 AM »

A few simple questions just for you to consider and also to add any more info that you think may help. 

Yes to all but the last one. I couldn't sculpt a blob without screwing it up somehow.
2:   under 21/21 - 45, 45+

21 to 45.

Male.

4:   Looking for cute chicks/ conversion bits/ soldiers / something nobody else makes

The first draw to Hasslefree was the Grymn.

US of A.

I prefer to buy from my local game store, but he cannot order Hasslefree, so I go direct to you for these.

I have been buying about once a year for some time.

I was recommended to Hasslefree through the Lead Adventure forum.

Hmm...don't know off the top of my head. I wish your output matched up a touch better to the previews page, but otherwise I have no complaints. You certainly are doing well enough in the customer service side to keep me calling.
Wargaming is a virus that cannot be cured, only treated with ever increasing doses of metal.

Offline aysonator

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2010, 04:00:28 PM »

painter/gamer
uner 21
male
soldiers (adventurors mostly with some sci-fi0
uk
wayland games
less than a year
wayland games, drawn by the adventurors
the customer service, and suberdly sculpted minis

Offline grimmo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »
All of the above. But mostly a painter/collector

21-45 Bracket

Male

Generally looking for zombie hunter types, but cute chicks with neat gear always tend to sucker me in too. Movie/game inspired pieces tend to also get me buying, but to a much lesser extent.

Non-EU

Generally buy from a retailer. Usually in an attempt to bypass shipping costs, but local stores have been dying out. Addtion of awesome manufactures popping up means that habit is changing slowly.

4+ Not sure how many more than, but definately 4+

Found through CMON/Search engine digging after I realized you guys did direct sales. Got my first mailed-in candy from it too!

While the sculpts aren't all that dynamic, they've got lots of character and leave plenty for the painter to play with(some minis kinda force you down a particular path with their sculpting/styles). Short of sculpting your own minis, of kitbashing the heck out of something, you've got almost a blank canvass to try whatever you can think of. If anything, I would like to see a few more 30-33mm sculpts(I quite like the Lt Kara fig), or at least something like that where the miniature seems to be interacting with another piece.

I miss ordering from you guys, but it'd been getting hard to justify the spending when I could probably no buy another miniature in my lifetime, paint every day, and still never finish everything I've got... Fortunately, that doesn't stop me, but it does slow things down. Lately, I've noticed my purchasing habits tended to come in waves. Wait out lesser releases until the dam breaks and scoop up a bunch at one go.

Keep up the good work as always, and I'll soon be placing another order(dam's been eroding quickly of lates).

Offline Sir Chiddlington-Smythe

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »
Well, since you asked...

painter/collector and veeeery occasional gamer

21 - 45

Male

modern adventurers and Orcs/fantasy stuff

UK

I prefer going to the manufacturer but I do occasionally frequent Orc's Nest in Laaaahdon

less than a year

Search engine - I forget what I was looking for, probably orcs

Keep being you!

I think as I'm mostly into fantasy stuff, I'm not the person to ask. In my ideal world I'ld say more orcs but I doubt whether that's commercially sound. I'm sure there's going to be stuff I like what ever you do!

Offline Paul

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2011, 08:49:07 PM »

Well, I buy games, promising myself that I will one day get to play them, and then buy models to use as playing pieces in those games, promising myself I will one day paint and use them.  And in the meantime they all sit in the loft in boxes.  What does that make me? (Other than quite sad...)

Male

Anything that strikes me as beautiful and that I can conjure up a justification for using in one of my games (when I finally get to play them).  I particularly like the models you do that have slightly vague temporal settings, so as to make them viable for gaming in a number of settings/period.  Less clothes makes this easier, I guess, but where you do clothe them, I love the pieces like Rose.  She could be a schoolgirl anytime from the 1930's through to modern day.

UK

Prefer Manufacturer, unless that manufacturer has an arrangement with a retailer that permits the retailer to sell more cheaply than going direct.  Basically I tend to go where the best deal is.

Been lurking for years, but finally took the plunge at the last Bonus Credit sale.

Surfing for miniature manufacturers some years ago

I think you would benefit from a higher rate of new releases.  In my own case, I am nearing the end of my Bonus credit and don't think I could justify buying another without a much wider range to order from.  Short of diving into army building with the Grymm or Kindred (and that's a distinct possibility, especially if the Kindred get gasmasks...) I'm now running out of interesting pieces I can fit into my games.

I also think that the scale you work to runs the risk of limiting your appeal.  I like to buy your women and children because I know that they are supposed to be shorter/smaller, and so won't look too out of scale with other models.  But where I've bought your male figures, beautiful as they may be, they often stand out as noticeably smaller/slighter than their counterparts from other manufacturers.  I appreciate that we're talking about a matter of taste, but given how many people there are out there collecting in the slightly larger/chunkier scales, it's something worth considering.  (Or carry on focussing on short races and women and children.  That works too...)

Thoroughly enjoying buying from you.  Somehow it feels that I'm part of a community rather than just a customer.  Bizarre, I know, but there you go...

Offline themightyflip

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2011, 01:37:11 PM »

Painter

21-45

Male

Cute chicks, Soldiers, Something nobody else makes.

UK

Direct from the manufacturer if possible

Got my first packs in 2005, bought direct from HF for the first time in 2007 (I think)

Ebay actually

No one else gives me freebies! Be the first!!  :whistle:  Some damsels in distress would be nice.

Dont stop being a nice company!

Offline RLS

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »
      Painter/ Gamer/ collector (and secretly wishes I was a sculptor)

Male
         I'm looking for all of those and basically what hasslefree is currently doing is what I like although it would be nice to have soldiers to go against the Grymn and Kindred which have rather nice big ranges

Non-EU

My preference is to buy from a brick and morter store locally then if not available directly from a manufacture if not avaliable then a on line retailer

since the beginning. I bought your first grymn when it was releases so 4+ years

I found you through a older forum that was promoting Void and celtos at the time. forget the name of it now and followed you guy here

I wouldn't recommend any changes at all

Just a general thanks
Living on Earth is expensive,    but it does include a free trip around

the sun every year.

Offline Navarion

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 05, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »

Painter, Wannabe-RPG-Gamer (no one to game with) and converter.

2:   under 21/21 - 45, 45+[/b]

In a few days 27.

Male.

At the moment mostly stuff that fits into the 40k world but that GW doesn't provide (like Rogue Traders, female soldiers, children etc), even though it definitely wouldn't hurt if you expanded a bite more into generic fantasy. Also there are some models that are simply so awesome that I must have them, I guess those fall under "cute chicks".

EU

Manufacturer.

Less than one year.

I found it over www.blackmoore.ca while looking for a picture of a painted Lelith Hesperax to show a friend.

What you definitely do right for me is that all your models have character, and that you are providing stuff that nobody else does. My only minor gripe is that most of your human female models fall into one of three categories. No clothing, no armour and too much armour. I really would like to see a few models in that cool soldier armour with their helmet off or some in power armour similar to the Sororitas.

I'm already working on my wishlist for Christmas and hope the power armoured Rogue Trader will be available in metal by then.

Offline jp

• Minion
  • Wait a mo...this is'nt motorhead!
    • View Profile
    • Jp sees lead people (and then tries to paint them)
« Reply #189 on: October 06, 2011, 07:47:50 AM »

A: Painter/gamer

A: 21/45

A: All of the above

A: U.K

A: prefer manufacturer

A: less than 1 yr

A: Found through recommendation

A: Concentrating on character makes your figures stand out. Also sculpts like not dirty harry are beautiful.

A: Keep 'er lit!!

Offline ErikB

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2011, 07:13:25 PM »
Hi Guys,

I love your work and respect how you are running your business.  This is the first marketing survey I've volunteered for.  :)

Painter/collector

39, been into these minis since I was a kid

Male

I like the high-fidelity minis, excellent sculpture, and the wonderful amount of character that HF minis contain.  The casting quality of the minis makes them a real pleasure, too.

I particularly enjoy the space soldiers (including non-Newt) and the Zombie-survivors collection (I think I have them all).

Non-EU, USA, land of no health care....

Buy from a retailer but would also order.  Retailer gives me the chance to browse during lunch break.

4 years +

Found through browsing at retailer, liked the space soldiers, then moved to the zombie survivors as I started to appreciate the amount of creativity and character you put into your designs

While I appreciate your efforts not to exaggerate your minis (unlike, say, GW, Zombiesmith (sometimes), or Bob Mulch's delightful Pulp Figures), it does make them more challenging to paint. 

The faces, hands, fingers, etc., are not over-emphaized, which is great, artistically, but I find that my paints (GW, Vallejo, Reaper) are thick enough that they fill in the gaps and I loose detail.

I wish there were more information about how to approach painting them on your website.

Of course I'm really commenting on my own lack of skill but I know I would focus more on HF if I could figure out how to paint them better.

A suggestion - some sort of belt attachments, ranging from a cell phone to a pistol to a sword sheath or a water canteen, could be nice.

One thing I like is that you don't make the guns and weapons too super-large.  I appreciate this in your aesthetic.

I already commented on the wonderful amounts of personality you put in them.

Using the same mini with a variety of attachments (like Kev with an axe, pistol, katana) is a clever idea.  Attachable canteens, holsters, sheaths, etc., would supplement this.

Great job, guys, I'm a big fan!  And thanks for providing me with so much fun!

Offline by-tor

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2012, 08:18:28 PM »
Hi Sal right 1:Roll player / gamer
                  2:39
                  3:male
                  4:all of the above
                  5:England, Peoples republic of Yorkshire
                  6: i used to buy only from shows but now i have pretty much signed over what remains of my sole to H,F, directly via the interwebythingy but ill still pray at the alter of greatness when i see you guys
                  7:4 years plus i think
                  8:i saw your pretty things at Tripples one year and that was that
                  9:keep doing what you do we love you guys one of the greatest pleasures of dealing with you is the personal touch the hand written note on your order paperwork the fact that i get to know that if my orders a bit late its because the dogs ill or one of the kids has had a play on type thing not just that the giant conglomerate has got my money and ill get my stuff when the computer says so , its the fact that im not buying a fig from H,F, im buying it from Kev and Sally (and all the other umpa lumpas that put their hard work into getting me the best figs they can!)
                  10: the only thing i might be so bold as to suggest i think has already been suggested but is to expand the ranges a bit so we can unit build thats all
The early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese

Happiness is a fully charged pulse rifle

Offline DrunkZombie

• Worthless Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2012, 06:54:52 PM »
1: Mostly a gamer.  Although I also must admit to myself that I am a bit of a collector as well since I will never even get close to painting all the miniatures I buy.

2: 21 - 45

3: Male

4: Looking for cute chicks, fantasy football and zombies.

5: United States

6: I generally buy from the manufacturer.

7: I think about 2 to 3 yrs.

8: Since it was a few years ago I don't remember for sure.  I think I was tracking down unique fantasy football miniatures and found Kalee being sold or pictured on some site and tracked it back to yours.

9:  I am liking the new site.  I haven't bought anything from you in awhile, but hope to change that soon.

10:  I have always been impressed with the great customer service and personal feel.

Offline bowlie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2012, 04:25:18 PM »
1:  painter. I play pathfinder occasionally, but i mostly paint

2:   under 21

3:  male

4:   soldiers

5:   UK

6:  wherever i can find nice things

7: 2yrs

8:   Found through recommendation

9:  cant think of anything

10: i love your realistic style and would like to see more creatures / warriors that would fit into a d&d setting.

Offline Revtrev

• Lurker
  • Vicar and zombie author (no, seriously!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »
1: painter/gamer/collector/sculptor?
A: Painter first, Gamer second, (I enjoy converting, but it would be overstating it to call myself a sculptor)

2:   Age
A: 41

3: male/female

4: Looking for cute chicks/ conversion bits/ soldiers / something nobody else makes
A: Looking for interesting minis, especially for 7TV; female minis to convert to make my Warhammer 40k armies less monosex; character minis for D&D; conversion bits; and things that catch my eye & make me want to get the paints out...

5: UK/ Eu/ Non-Eu
A: UK

6: Generally buy from a retailer / prefer manufacturer
A: direct from HF.

7: how long bought HF?
A: looong time 4+

8: Found through search engine

9: Anything we could do better/ anything you think we are doing drastically wrong/ what you think we do so well that makes us better than anyone else?
A: I think the minis are a bit pricey - but I guess you get what you pay for, as the quality is unbeatable.  I love the fact that the minis feature different sizes and shapes of people (not all supermodels & bodybuilders).  Great customer service.

Love you guys - without a doubt you are my fave mini-makers (closely followed by Heresy)
On Twitter I'm @TrevorDonnelly - say hello!