Author Topic: FOD DOD II: The Results! The winners are...  (Read 37868 times)

Offline Big Boris

• aka Andy Foster, Heresy Miniatures Owner/Prisoner
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • Dragon Slayer. At last.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heresyminiatures.com
Re: FOD DOD II: The Results! The winners are...
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 10:07:53 AM »
@Shinobi: Breaking the  fourth wall is a TV term, which refers to a camera action that track someone leaving a room and in doing so passes through one of the walls of the set, thus pointing out to the viewer that this is really just a set, and not real life. The fourth wall refers to the one that you can't see on camera, because it's 'behind' the camera. In this case, I am referring something that I have noticed over the years, which is that when you do things in 30mm scale, if you use anythingthat isn't painted or sculpted, but is in fact a real life manufactured object, it somehow seems less real than the pained/sculpted stuff that surrounds it. An example is chains - to me, if you have sculpted chains on aminiature, they fit in better than actual chains do. Real chains tend to remind the viewer that the rest of the model is just a sculpt. See what i'm saying? So if you'd hand painted the banners etc, they would have been more 'real' in the scene. I'm not saying the diorama was bad or anything, just that if it had all been done by hand it would have been better.

@Gi6ers:
I don't know if the other judges will be providing feedback or not, it's up to them I suppose! If you want MY opinion, then here it is. Again another strong entry, although i did have to prompt you to add some details to it ;) In fact there were two areas that could have been improved: Painting-wise, you were OK, but not quite as smooth and clean as the top 3; the main thing that I think would have improved the entry would have been more time taken over it in terms of that, but mainly in terms of attention to detail. Lots more detailing of the corridor would have leant atmosphere to the scene. Pipework should have been filling every spare mm of space, for instance. A sense of claustrophobia could have been leant by closing the diorama ceiling in with a few projecting pipes overhead. A similar thing to what I was talking about with Reaperman's entry, where it would have benefited from a largely 'shadowed' appearance lit only by the neon lights on the wall (IMO). Overall there was a vague sense - for me - that you might have got a bit fed up and just stopped (I think you said as much, now that I ponder it) when you could have kept going. I thought there was great interaction between the models you chose, and the story was very clear. I'd avoid the use of inks if possible in the future, they always make things a bit messier, especially brown ink washes. SO in summary, a good entry, but a bit more work to bring it up to the level of the winners!

NOTE:
Chrysalis isn't the ONLY winner of the Diorama of Sycophancy category - each of the judges will announce their own choice for this one, as the prize is just a free figure! So pester them to reveal their choices!

(I was really hoping to see someone do a multi-company conversion figure, but maybe next year...)

Chrysalis

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 10:26:38 AM »
NOTE:
Chrysalis isn't the ONLY winner of the Diorama of Sycophancy category - each of the judges will announce their own choice for this one, as the prize is just a free figure! So pester them to reveal their choices!

4 entries...4 judges...Maybe an even match?  :angel:

(I was really hoping to see someone do a multi-company conversion figure, but maybe next year...)

Let's say I'll do it  :yup:

Offline gi6ers

• Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • Clatto Verata N... Necktie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 10:33:13 AM »
@Gi6ers:
I don't know if the other judges will be providing feedback or not, it's up to them I suppose! If you want MY opinion, then here it is. Again another strong entry, although i did have to prompt you to add some details to it ;) In fact there were two areas that could have been improved: Painting-wise, you were OK, but not quite as smooth and clean as the top 3; the main thing that I think would have improved the entry would have been more time taken over it in terms of that, but mainly in terms of attention to detail. Lots more detailing of the corridor would have leant atmosphere to the scene. Pipework should have been filling every spare mm of space, for instance. A sense of claustrophobia could have been leant by closing the diorama ceiling in with a few projecting pipes overhead. A similar thing to what I was talking about with Reaperman's entry, where it would have benefited from a largely 'shadowed' appearance lit only by the neon lights on the wall (IMO). Overall there was a vague sense - for me - that you might have got a bit fed up and just stopped (I think you said as much, now that I ponder it) when you could have kept going. I thought there was great interaction between the models you chose, and the story was very clear. I'd avoid the use of inks if possible in the future, they always make things a bit messier, especially brown ink washes. SO in summary, a good entry, but a bit more work to bring it up to the level of the winners!

thanks Andy, painting skill, no arguments here! In retrospect I would've made the scene half the size, and thought about details before I built and mostly finished it. I really appreciate the feedback and time permitting will have another go next time.
 :thumbup:

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2007, 01:07:28 PM »
Congratulations to the winners. I don't envy the judges' job, even if I do differ in my opinions. All the entries were very good, and obviously labours of love.

Offline TwoGunBob

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2007, 02:53:23 PM »
I'm speechless (typeless?) to be honest. The entries were just so high caliber that I didn't think I honestly held a candle to other entries. It's encouraging enough that I plan to put renewed effort into trying to learn more painting theory to improve my painting because I still have so much to learn to get to the next level of painting skill. The entries were just so fantastic this year and I imagine next year's will be even better. Honestly, I'm already trying to plot and plan for next year's competition cause now I know how stiff the competition is. Congratulations to everyone on this cause together we made a truly spectacular showing of hobby skill and creative ideas.

Offline Avicenna

• Slave to Paint
  • Global Moderator
  • Fallen One
  • Dragon #39... The perils of rock 'n roll decadence
    • View Profile
    • The Jolly Bodgers
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2007, 03:52:03 PM »
Woohoo! Well done everyone, as has been said many a time, this was a really fun competition, and what we have achieved by the end of it is quite spectacular!

Thank you to everyone for all of the comments and grats to Toosh for winning 1st place!

I'd love to write more, but I'm still at work and had better get back to it!

Thanks again (I am looking forward to spending my credit ;) )
-Peter
My new Blog: http://www.jollybodgers.com

"...you describe yourself as an amateur. Don't forget that word comes from the French, meaning "lover of".
In artistic endeavours the very best results come from those who love what they do, whether or not they get paid for it "
-Bewildered Badger '07

Offline No Head Ned

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2007, 04:45:04 PM »
whee! the results. :boing:
congrats to all who entered. You can breath out now.

Offline Mirlo

• Dark Lord
    • View Profile
    • Black Scorpion Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »
Well done to all who entered and the winners!   :charge:

One of the reasons there arent' too many individual comments on each entry is that as mentioned all the judges had slightly different points of view and chose different winners. Mainly because there were so many great entries. I think most entries made it on someones list somewhere.. making it extra hard!

For the diorama of sychophany award I chose:

Cute goth 'Trick or treat'

It's just great, so congratulations!

:smile:

Offline Medved

• painter of little things
  • Dark Apprentice
  • look into my eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2007, 10:09:58 PM »
well done to the winners and the people who were just pipped at the post.

i really wanted to do something special for this comp but ended up turning in a rushed entry at the last minute. i'm glad what i had achieved with so little and that others liked it. overall i was pleased that i didnt win because i can see the huge amount of time and effort that went into most of the other entries.

well done everybody. with a little better organisation we can turn this into something really cool  :yup: :cool:
I don't have a catchphrase yet.............

Dolmot

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 11:22:46 PM »
nevermindthen
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 01:36:05 AM by Dolmot »

Lost Boy

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2007, 12:35:39 AM »
All gone :paranoid2:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:37:56 PM by Lost Boy »

Offline Toosh

• Dark Underlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2007, 01:45:22 AM »
Must have been a dream.....I've just woken up in the shower  :scratchhead:

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 04:05:30 PM by Toosh »
My body is a temple. The problem is, Buddha moved in

Offline Mirlo

• Dark Lord
    • View Profile
    • Black Scorpion Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2007, 12:53:47 PM »
I don't think he meant any offence, I'm sure everyone has their own favourites.

Lets all keep it friendly please...

:)

Offline cute_goth13

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2007, 11:51:23 PM »
oh wow  :boing: I won something!
Thank you Mirlo!!!!   :smile:
"Pride is all very well but a sausage is still a sausage" Gaspode, Terry Pratchett.

http://cutegoth13.wordpress.com/

Offline Toosh

• Dark Underlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2007, 12:22:07 AM »
Grats!!! :applause:
My body is a temple. The problem is, Buddha moved in

Chrysalis

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2007, 08:17:59 AM »
The other winning Sycophants of Doom probably received their message, but is there any chance for us to know who Hasslefree and Spyglass have chosen as their favorite diorama?

Just curious...  :whistle: