Author Topic: things that really p** you off  (Read 637293 times)

Offline gi6ers

• Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • Clatto Verata N... Necktie
    • View Profile
Re: things that really p** you off
« Reply #1600 on: October 06, 2011, 10:43:23 PM »
I went Ice skating today and the skate hire people gave my trainers to someone else.  :tantrum: Now I have someone elses smelly trainers till I can afford to buy some new ones  :crazy:

sorry but this made me laugh, biker on ice skates in trainer related misfortune.  Were you wearing anything with sequins?    :lmao

Offline DRAGON

• LORD OF WHITE METAL MOUNTAIN
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: October 07, 2011, 09:14:15 AM »
 :lmao :lmao
Heaven doesn't want me. Hell is afraid i will take over !
OFFICIAL WINNER UDOD 2012
Minis painted this year (2013) : Too few !
Heresy Dragon - paint in progress - coming soon... seriously !

http://foddragon.mybrute.com

Offline Ishil

• Occasional painter
  • Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: October 07, 2011, 11:27:43 PM »
And I thought I was keeping it low with 10 every month or two. :)

No friends, that's the key.  Except for my little metal ones...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:29:54 PM by Ishil »

Offline Reaperman

• Brush for Hire. No Space Marines.
  • Global Moderator
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heresyminiatures.com
« Reply #1603 on: October 08, 2011, 02:00:51 PM »
I went Ice skating today and the skate hire people gave my trainers to someone else.  :tantrum: Now I have someone elses smelly trainers till I can afford to buy some new ones  :crazy:

sorry but this made me laugh, biker on ice skates in trainer related misfortune.  Were you wearing anything with sequins?    :lmao

Sadly not, but next time I go skating I'll be wearing a pair of riding boots and if they loose them that'll be nearly 300 for replacements. I'll even take the receipt with me to make sure they pay out.  :twisted:
Paint Slave hit list in no particular order:
                           Lonewolf (KIA)
                           Sonny (TBA)
                           Ben Brownlie (TBA)
                           Klute (TBA)
                           Paintslave No.4 (TBA)
                           Avicenna (MIA)

Offline manic _miner

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #1604 on: October 09, 2011, 05:05:32 PM »
No not one of the FOD companies.They have all been great with sales for me.

This is something else that is P*** me off.

It just gets really frustrating when you cant get reply's to messages sent and this has been going on for months now.
Anything we could help you with? Depending on where the item/ items you're waiting for is/are located, maybe someone could pick it/them up and send to you?

Hi Ink

I wish it was that easy.I think that I will have to go the legal route to get things sorted.Still not getting any replys and those that I do say they will be posted out.This has been going on for awhile now.

The thing is they have sold things to others after mine had been paid for.That is annoying too.

I dont want to end up having to let others know what has been going on and who the person is I am dealing with.Having been more than patient I think I would be well within my rights to warn others.

Offline caerban

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • The Dark Side of the Moomin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: October 09, 2011, 05:17:25 PM »
Ever started stripping an ebay purchase and ended up thinking, "By Grapthar's Hammer! What did they undercoat this with!?!!"
Sheesh.
At the moment it's resisted acetone and turned into a weird white slime that just rehardens with Dettol. Picking away slowly with pointy thing and toothbrush now.
"No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head."

Offline TSR

• Chosen Heretic
  • .....wrong side of another day
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: October 09, 2011, 05:38:50 PM »
Ever started stripping an ebay purchase and ended up thinking, "By Grapthar's Hammer! What did they undercoat this with!?!!"
Sheesh.
At the moment it's resisted acetone and turned into a weird white slime that just rehardens with Dettol. Picking away slowly with pointy thing and toothbrush now.

Have you tried Fairy Power Spray. Place figure in a jar, spray and close lid. Leave for half a day, then scrub under running water with old toothbush, should do the job

Or, Humbrol Liquid Poly. Again, can be left in a jar with liquid poly, or dap on, leave for a minute, then brush/pick-off
I really like this jacket...
but the sleeves are much too long!

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: October 09, 2011, 07:48:42 PM »
You could also try the hot solvent approach.  You'll likely want to do this out side, with a small hot plate (set fairly low).  Fill a sauce pan/small soup pot with water, put pan on hot plate on low, put chosen stripping agent into container (glass would probably be best but will depend on solvent chosen) put container into pan of water with enough solvent to cover mini but so that it still floats.  If you can't get a container that will float get something that will cover the pot of water so that the heat can't escape easily, you don't want to let it boil because you need to be able to get the minis out of the solvent.  A temperature half way between luke warm and a good cup of tea should suffice.  Let soak for however long you think it should take then take out and try scrubbing with a toothbrush dipped in warm solvent.

This is a greatly modified (for minis) method of one method for automotive/industrial parts cleaning, and as I've never needed to use it, I cannot guarantee anything except that this method is labor intensive, and possibly not good for your health, depending on your chosen solvent.  There is also the possibility that I've wasted the time it takes to type this. muahahahaha
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:00:13 PM by leadhead »
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: October 09, 2011, 08:47:59 PM »
When i get real hard to remove paint i use NITRO MORS it an all purpose paint & varnish remover for wood, metal and masonry ( just don't get it on your hands it burns) and do it outside it stinks.
Say it will strip 15 layers of paint and it washes of with water.
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline fog99uk

• There's a 4 foot hight restriction don't ya know?
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #1609 on: October 09, 2011, 10:05:59 PM »
I used to use Nitro Mors, then I discovered the wonders of Detol (the brown stuff). Detol works brilliantly, and doesn't damage the model.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: October 09, 2011, 11:59:11 PM »
I used to use Nitro Mors, then I discovered the wonders of Detol (the brown stuff). Detol works brilliantly, and doesn't damage the model.

I've still never seen this nitro mors stuff, must be an EU/UK thing.  I am impressed with dettol though.

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline Nosferatu

• Dark Lord
  • For Grek
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/nosferatu/
« Reply #1611 on: October 10, 2011, 01:21:27 AM »
Haven't tried Dettol, but it must be a more environmentally friendly way than the commercial paint strippers. I used Simple Green for similar reasons. Seems very effective and can be used on resin and plastic.
Heron Island photos done! See blog...

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: October 10, 2011, 03:46:28 AM »
I've only ever used dettol. Never bought any other paint strippers. It does leave your mini's with a disinfectant smell and the plastics I've used it on seem to be quite sticky afterwards, that may be because I was stripping them en masse.

Offline DRAGON

• LORD OF WHITE METAL MOUNTAIN
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: October 10, 2011, 08:13:22 PM »
Also depends on the type of paint - maybe my imagination but shades of green seem to go very sticky - might be something to do with the pigment used  in the manufacture ?  :shrug:
Heaven doesn't want me. Hell is afraid i will take over !
OFFICIAL WINNER UDOD 2012
Minis painted this year (2013) : Too few !
Heresy Dragon - paint in progress - coming soon... seriously !

http://foddragon.mybrute.com

Offline almostsilentbob

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: October 17, 2011, 12:21:04 AM »
Road rage. On the way to work tonight whilst overtaking a very slow artic lorry on a duel carrigeway some muppet in a punto type thing come hurtling up at 80mph, sits on my back bumper to the point that the only thing I can see is a glow in my mirrors (when things get that close to the landy they disappear) and then starts flashing me to move. Now at this point I'm barely past the nose of the lorry so I hang on for about half a second longer, with the bloke flashing away at me till I was safe to pull over. He doesnt even give me chance to finish changing lanes and he's pushing past. So, quite annoyed by this point I give him the finger, and he responds by cutting across infront of me and slamming his brakes on - repeatedly. He indicates he wants me to pull over (i doubt 'poilte chat' was his intent) and I move out and past him, as the roundabout I'm turning right on is about 100 yards away. He then pulls alongside again screams 'I'm going to f****** rape you!' at me and again try's to cut me up. Then disappears down the exit before mine.

Now, I know giving him the finger wasn't the smartest thing I could have done there but still, what did he hope to achieve? If I'd not braked too I've have sliced halfway through his car. And probably bent a bit of mine. Moron.
Sorry - really needed to get that off my chest!

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: October 17, 2011, 12:55:58 AM »
Well you just have to hope that Retreads like that do them selves in and hurt no one else in the process.  Oops that wasn't in my head.

When people tailgate me like that then pass me, I turn on my high beams and leave them on as long as they are in front.  Immature, but makes me feel better as its passive agressivness and probably makes them mad.  I had a guy get up behind me and do the honking flashing flail to make me pull over once, I didn't.  He then passed me and flew out of sight.  A very short time later further up the highway, he was busted by the cops.  I smiled and ridiculed him to myself.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: October 17, 2011, 02:39:12 AM »
When people tailgate me I slow down. sometimes they get the message. I also remembe a guy doing they same thing to my wife while I was a passenger, except we were giving way and he wanted to get through. I also showed the middle finger. He stopped his car past the lights we were at then we made a quick exit while nervously laughing. Good on you for being a d**k to him though.

Offline jp

• Minion
  • Wait a mo...this is'nt motorhead!
    • View Profile
    • Jp sees lead people (and then tries to paint them)
« Reply #1617 on: October 17, 2011, 08:55:31 AM »
I had a similar (cut up and indicating I should stop) experience a couple of years ago. I was in a peugeot 106 and he (for want of a better word) was in a BMW (havent a clue what type, cars and I have never been friends).
I obliged and pulled in to a dual carriageway layby......
He got out... :tantrum:
I got out...  :grrr:
He was 5 foot 2, I was 6 foot 3, had just been playing rugby and still had blood on my chin from losing a canine.
He apologised.
It went something like.."Sorry mate I just wanted to pull you over to say how sorry I am....jeez youre a big bloke....."
I told him he was an utter f#*king w#n*stain and with that he thanked me and departed.
I enjoyed that day.  :woohoo: just wish I had videoed him.
(In the pursuit of keeping my remaining teeth I have subsequently given up sport in favour of tea drinking and painting zombies...trying to paint zombies...)

Offline Vermis

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Minisculpture
« Reply #1618 on: October 20, 2011, 04:27:03 PM »
Starting a new topic featuring your ideas and the execution thereof, someone quickly posts a pic of something similar they've done, and all subsequent comments - two pages and counting - are a love-in of that similar thing.
minisculpture.co.uk
DanG on greens:
...before it even gets put into production the response that starts with 'nice job' ends in 'now do another...'

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #1619 on: October 20, 2011, 05:50:21 PM »
Starting a new topic featuring your ideas and the execution thereof, someone quickly posts a pic of something similar they've done, and all subsequent comments - two pages and counting - are a love-in of that similar thing.

Where's that? On here or an alternative universe (I mean forum)?

I am forever having the same thing happen.  Either that or the odd mental post...I know that you are aiming for THIS but you NEED to aim for THIS COMPLETELY RANDOM AND IDIOTIC THING.

I take it under advisement, move on and ignore it.  The best way to sort it is to either bring the topic back on track with "Now...where were we before the rude interruption?" or to post something so mind blowing that it takes the sunshine from the interloper's posts.

It doesn't make it any less anoying though :( .

The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Vermis

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Minisculpture
« Reply #1620 on: October 20, 2011, 07:14:13 PM »
Alternate universe. :)

Either that or the odd mental post...I know that you are aiming for THIS but you NEED to aim for THIS COMPLETELY RANDOM AND IDIOTIC THING.

Had that happen a couple of times, too.

It doesn't make it any less anoying though :(

I know it's not a world-stopping event, and it's a bit childish to moan about it, but in my topics it's my party and my turn to show off, me me me me me.

While I'm here, having a kvetch: I enrolled at an introductory painting class in Belfast, back in August. (that is, painting pictures, not minis)  Over 80 quid for twelve classes, plus roughly a tenner of fuel to get there and back each time.
Billed as "for enthusiastic beginners and practising artists alike", so I thought it'd be basic but still with some depth.  Six classes in, I've copied a couple of the teacher's own partly-abstract watercolour paintings ("take some blue for the sea... make some strokes... now put a bit of green in it") and 'learned' how to mix and blend black & white paint.  The best day was when the teacher was off and the class got to what they liked.  The other students were surprised, 'cos up until then the basic nature of the course and classes didn't offer any indication that I could 'already draw'.
It is as it's named - an 'Introduction to Painting'.  Only I was expecting an introduction like still life, composition, a bit of colour theory, etc.  "This is grisaille and this is alla prima", rather than "this is paint and this is called a brush."
It's not cutting the mustard for me.  I sent off an email to the centre, see if I can get out of it and and stuck into one of the weekend workshops, but still waiting for a response.  It'll be a nice waste of money if I can't, because either way I don't think I can be bothered turning up for the rest of the classes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:56:09 PM by Vermis »
minisculpture.co.uk
DanG on greens:
...before it even gets put into production the response that starts with 'nice job' ends in 'now do another...'

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
  • M.E. is NOT a figment of my imagination
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #1621 on: October 21, 2011, 08:17:06 AM »
When people tailgate me like that then pass me, I turn on my high beams and leave them on as long as they are in front.  Immature, but makes me feel better as its passive agressivness and probably makes them mad.  I had a guy get up behind me and do the honking flashing flail to make me pull over once, I didn't.  He then passed me and flew out of sight.  A very short time later further up the highway, he was busted by the cops.  I smiled and ridiculed him to myself.

Going into Nottingham the other day on the 610 i had some idiot up my butt from the M1 exit through both roundabouts.  It was obvious he didnt know where he was going but wanted to get there quick so i let him tailgate me at about 45mph with me in the fast lane all the way to where the 30mph zone cameras started (nicely hidden around a bend) and then i pulled over and braked hard so i went through at 30mph and he was still accelerating focussing on swearing at me rather then the fact he had just gone throuh a live camera at at least 20mph over the limit.

sometimes it is the little victories that make you chuckle
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

most mornings i wake up grumpy.   sometimes i just let him sleep.

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline gi6ers

• Clatto Verata N... Necktie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: October 21, 2011, 08:26:13 AM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbup: :notworthy:

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #1623 on: October 21, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »

While I'm here, having a kvetch: I enrolled at an introductory painting class in Belfast, back in August. (that is, painting pictures, not minis)  Over 80 quid for twelve classes, plus roughly a tenner of fuel to get there and back each time.
Billed as "for enthusiastic beginners and practising artists alike", so I thought it'd be basic but still with some depth.  Six classes in, I've copied a couple of the teacher's own partly-abstract watercolour paintings ("take some blue for the sea... make some strokes... now put a bit of green in it") and 'learned' how to mix and blend black & white paint.  The best day was when the teacher was off and the class got to what they liked.  The other students were surprised, 'cos up until then the basic nature of the course and classes didn't offer any indication that I could 'already draw'.
It is as it's named - an 'Introduction to Painting'.  Only I was expecting an introduction like still life, composition, a bit of colour theory, etc.  "This is grisaille and this is alla prima", rather than "this is paint and this is called a brush."
It's not cutting the mustard for me.  I sent off an email to the centre, see if I can get out of it and and stuck into one of the weekend workshops, but still waiting for a response.  It'll be a nice waste of money if I can't, because either way I don't think I can be bothered turning up for the rest of the classes.

That sounds like a pottery class I did at a local college.  The teacher showed us all the basics of throwing pots, making thumb pots, rolling and cutting clay etc.  Then everyone was left to do what they wanted.  Some were there for the umpteenth course in a row because they were making a set of unique crockery, some were happy making thumb pots and I was happy hiding away in a corner, sculpting Dragons and character busts.  Everything was going fine until someone noticed I could sculpt...then I ended up with two or three people joining me to see if I could help them...it wasn't all bad (they were quite pretty :) ).  My wife (who was also at the course) sat there quietly laughing at me because she knew that it was my own personal nightmare and I wanted to be left alone!
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Vermis

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Minisculpture
« Reply #1624 on: October 21, 2011, 10:21:36 AM »
Everything was going fine until someone noticed I could sculpt...then I ended up with two or three people joining me to see if I could help them...it wasn't all bad (they were quite pretty :) ).

I paid out for a sculpting workshop in November, too.  I wonder if it'll go the same way? :)

Still no reply from the management, but I did get a news email a couple of days ago.  They want to pile in more people in the classes today, because the BBC's filming for some 'popular show'.  So they sent out the call, and I got me a free life-drawing class. :)

Sally: :lol:

Eejits who own the road, eh?  I wish I could see just a couple of them get their just desserts, meself.

Close ally of the tailgater - the cut-up.  Especially when you're trying to change lanes and make way for sliproad traffic.  Just as you stick your indicators on, someone behind decides it's time to rush up to block your way and see if they can cause a pile-up.  But seriously, it makes you wonder how much attention they pay to the road and potential accidents, or if they don't give a... a fig.
minisculpture.co.uk
DanG on greens: