Author Topic: things that really p** you off  (Read 620007 times)

Frontman

Re: things that really p** you off
« Reply #1025 on: December 18, 2009, 06:18:16 AM »
The complete and utter apathy of my fellow man.

Chris Henry; who was a professional athlete in the NFL, was killed yesterday; and between the jokes of "Should I start him on my fantasy team" and the "well, he was a bad guy who got what he deserved" comments; I'm disgusted with my fellow man right now.

Someone died.  Show a bit of respect.  I think that word has come to lose most, if not all; of its meaning in these days we now live in.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #1026 on: December 18, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »
I don't know the guy and as a result of that I don't know his character but to generalise this, why should you show respect just because someone died? (I have always questioned this)

I would quite happily dance on the grave of people like Adolf Hitler, Myra Hindley, Harald Shipman etc...and I would no sooner offer them respect as I would any other person I think didn't deserve it...whether they just died or not.

I can understand your feelings of disgust over jokes about people that you respect dying but when it comes to public figures, everyone will have a different view of them...and unfortunately they can be extremely different at times (Michael Jackson:  Awesome singer, dancer and performer...but also strange, misguided and often prone to dubious and bizarre behavior...depending on your view the comments could be completely different)

As for 'respect' losing all meaning nowadays, I would whole heartedly agree with you...with the exception (in my opinion) of a very few notable occurrences; Wotton Basset when the fallen troops are repatriated would be the top of the list.

I'll help to restore your faith a bit by saying Chris Henry; may he rest in peace.
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Rick

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: December 18, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »
I can see both sides of this, yes Inso, people must earn respect - soldiers who serve us, sitting safe and secure in our little bubble, have earned it. However, you won't know most of the people in public life who die, sometimes you only see a little of that public persona; my personal opinion is that unless they have done something truly dreadful, they are deserving of respect, if only for the sake of their surviving family.
Rule #37: There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload".

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #1028 on: December 18, 2009, 04:48:16 PM »
I can see both sides of this, yes Inso, people must earn respect - soldiers who serve us, sitting safe and secure in our little bubble, have earned it. However, you won't know most of the people in public life who die, sometimes you only see a little of that public persona; my personal opinion is that unless they have done something truly dreadful, they are deserving of respect, if only for the sake of their surviving family.

That is a fair and worthy point.

If you don't know someone, then respect should be shown (or no disrespect shown, at any rate) when they die, purely out of common courtesy.  Sometimes it is better to say nothing than to say something inappropriate just for the sake of it.

Jokes about dead celebrities is something that will always happen...unfortunately it is one of the more unfortunate side-effects of being a celebrity.  It doesn't make it right though :(.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:49:02 PM by Inso »
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Offline Rick

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: December 18, 2009, 05:44:28 PM »
Got a new thing that is really starting to tick me off - the word "disambiguation" by people who a) should know better and b) think it's a real word. It's a made up word! Use "clarification" - that's what it's there for!  :tantrum:

In all fairness, I should extend it to any Microsoft-speak made up words, lol!  :swear:
Rule #37: There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload".

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #1030 on: December 18, 2009, 07:26:24 PM »
Disambiguation?  That's getting towards stupid words like antidisestablishmentarianism.  The annoying thing is that neither of these words have a red line under them...so they are supposedly spelt correctly...

...weird...

Frontman

« Reply #1031 on: December 19, 2009, 12:25:37 AM »

That is a fair and worthy point.

If you don't know someone, then respect should be shown (or no disrespect shown, at any rate) when they die, purely out of common courtesy.  Sometimes it is better to say nothing than to say something inappropriate just for the sake of it.

Jokes about dead celebrities is something that will always happen...unfortunately it is one of the more unfortunate side-effects of being a celebrity.  It doesn't make it right though :(.

Exactly guys.  What kinda getting me POed is that when people do these tasteless jokes; they forget the innocent people hurt by them.  Ok, Chris Henry might or might not of been a bad guy.  Does that make his parents bad?  His 3 kids bad?  Do they deserve to hear those jokes?

It's the same when someone cracks jokes about pedophile priests in the Catholic church.  I'm sorry; care to tell rapist jokes?  I mean, at the end of the day; that's exactly you're making jokes about.  Men molesting children; period.  Tell me what is so dang funny about a rape victim.

It's that type of apathy that upsets me.  The reason shows like "Star Trek" are completely impossible isn't warp drive or transporter technology.

It's the fact human beings don't know how to stop acting the cavemen we once were.

vampifan

« Reply #1032 on: December 19, 2009, 12:21:33 PM »
Snow! It's here again, and I still hate it with a passion. Anyone who likes snow is more than welcome to take all of the horrible stuff from where I live.

MightyAl

« Reply #1033 on: December 19, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
Disambiguation?  That's getting towards stupid words like antidisestablishmentarianism.  The annoying thing is that neither of these words have a red line under them...so they are supposedly spelt correctly...

...weird...
Language is an odd thing. I mean, 140 years ago, there was no such word as "chortle", until Lewis carrol decided to mush "chuckle" and "snort" together.

Offline sagunt

• Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: December 19, 2009, 05:24:50 PM »
Yeah, language is a living thing.  Otherwise we'd be whinging about the use of "" and how it got brought into our beloved anglo-saxon tongue by those Normans.  I don't use  it, but "disambiguation" is fine by me since it's good to have options for better description of finer points.

As to respect for the recently (or not s0) deceased.  My sadness, when it's someone who's not lived well is that they didn't figure out a way to leave a better mark in the world.  Henry was an American footballer.  He's famous and cut short.  I'm saddened as well for his girlfriend who was reportedly driving the pickup truck he fell out of.

Put simply, I respect all unless they prove that is undeserved.  Until then everyone is a brother.

Offline weareblind

• Heavy Metal or no Metal at all
  • Mighty Fallen One
  • We are blind to the world within us
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: December 19, 2009, 05:54:53 PM »
Snow! It's here again, and I still hate it with a passion. Anyone who likes snow is more than welcome to take all of the horrible stuff from where I live.
:metoo:
Luckily, only a cm yesterday, and today football match on the snow!!  :lalala:
We are blind to the world within us

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 19, 2009, 06:16:35 PM »
I totally agree the only place to see snow is on mountains or in post cards, i drive for a living on Monday i have a 300 mile round trip starting at 3.30 am.
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline sagunt

• Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: December 19, 2009, 06:31:21 PM »
today football match on the snow!!  :lalala:
The majority of SPL matches were called off due to snow today.  I think only 3 went on.  Ironically, the storm that shut them down only lasted a few minutes but at just the time to worry the official.  A 30 minute delayed start would've been enough to avoid postponement.  Of course, travel to and from could've been dangerous. 

Frontman

« Reply #1038 on: December 19, 2009, 09:03:54 PM »
I totally agree the only place to see snow is on mountains or in post cards, i drive for a living on Monday i have a 300 mile round trip starting at 3.30 am.

I work outside and drive to; and I'll tell you, the only time I want snow?

About the time I get home on Christmas Eve; and have it all melt off by the time I leave for my route on December 26th.  Otherwise, go away white stuff!!!!

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 19, 2009, 10:16:24 PM »
I like snow, but thats because I never grew up with it. It snowed here for the first time I've ever known it to (and anyone else much older than me as well) last winter. It didn't settle on the ground but my wife and I managed to scrape some off the cars and have a snow fight.

Offline fog99uk

• There's a 4 foot hight restriction don't ya know?
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #1040 on: December 19, 2009, 10:32:42 PM »
I like snow. That may be down to not being a driver and never falling on it.

Bodhi

« Reply #1041 on: December 20, 2009, 04:03:52 PM »
The complete and utter apathy of my fellow man.

Chris Henry; who was a professional athlete in the NFL, was killed yesterday; and between the jokes of "Should I start him on my fantasy team" and the "well, he was a bad guy who got what he deserved" comments; I'm disgusted with my fellow man right now.

Someone died.  Show a bit of respect.  I think that word has come to lose most, if not all; of its meaning in these days we now live in.

Hmm, In my view humour and jokes is all about DISrespect. That's what makes it funny. That's the role of the medieval jester and the carneval, to put things on their head and twist the things that we take for granted. Hence humour IS bad taste in a way. If there's no bad taste element to it at all it's rarely very funny. That said there are loads of jokes that manage to not be very funny despite lack of respect but that's usually just lack of style.

Offline weareblind

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: December 20, 2009, 05:44:41 PM »
today football match on the snow!!  :lalala:
The majority of SPL matches were called off due to snow today.  I think only 3 went on.  Ironically, the storm that shut them down only lasted a few minutes but at just the time to worry the official.  A 30 minute delayed start would've been enough to avoid postponement.  Of course, travel to and from could've been dangerous. 
I mean, MY football match. I won 5-0!!

Offline sagunt

• Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: December 20, 2009, 06:57:56 PM »
Bene fato.  Did you score all 5?

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: December 21, 2009, 06:25:14 AM »
Great start to the day 2.45am car wont start  :swear: battery now flat, can't find my charger, so there goes the early start :shrug: plus i have to wait for garages to open and buy a new battery which i can't really afford be needs must, O the joys of winter motoring.  :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:. Maybe someone trying to tell me something, o well last day tomorrow until the 4th January  :boing: :boing: :boing:
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline weareblind

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: December 21, 2009, 08:14:02 AM »
Bene fato.  Did you score all 5?

Ben fatto.
No, not at all. No one. I am a difensive aggressor  :lmao:

Offline sagunt

• Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: December 21, 2009, 01:14:15 PM »
I suspected I was missing a T. and should've known "ben".

But it was your skill which kept the other side scoreless. 

Offline weareblind

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: December 21, 2009, 01:52:22 PM »
I suspected I was missing a T. and should've known "ben".

But it was your skill which kept the other side scoreless. 
Thanks for your kind words Sagunt, you're a real "motivator"! muahahahaha

Offline weareblind

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: December 24, 2009, 08:55:30 AM »
Snow. 5.30 hours to drive from my office to home. 15 km.

Offline bile

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: December 24, 2009, 10:53:16 AM »
No Snow! It rained all day and now it's all green again...  :tears: