Author Topic: 4th Place: TGB's Diorama of Doom  (Read 15654 times)

Offline TwoGunBob

• Heretic
    • View Profile
4th Place: TGB's Diorama of Doom
« on: October 10, 2007, 05:41:54 PM »
I sat on my hat for a long time about posting pics as I was rather keeping it a bit of a surprise. As it comes down to the wire I can't help but post the pics. I didn't take that many work in progress pics cause I was mostly concentrating on just getting the diorama finished on time and on target. Oddly enough my crazy ideas worked for the most part and I was done AHEAD of schedule which might well be a first.

The layout was a scavenged board sanded at my parents' house to be a bit smooth. The chicken wire was salvaged from leftovers of my father's quail pen. I went on a walkabout with my two sons and we collected sandstones for the flip side of the base.
I had a vision of a dual sided diorama from the get go with a before and after scene of a sort of tongue-in-cheek Italian Road Warrior rip-off post-nuke scene. Okay, if I hadn't gotten a firm vision using figures from all four companies I probably never would have undertaken the competition but I had a solid idea and the mushroom cloud was an experiment that actually worked. I nailed the conical wire frame in place and made the cloud cap using a cereal bowl as template wrapping the wire around it. Then it was a matter of sitting down with PVA glue, cotton balls, a couple hours, and some patience. The sandstones were put together like a mosaic and help together with joint compound, likewise the water was modeled with the compound and using a damp sponge to make the waves.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 02:58:55 PM by Big Boris »

Offline gi6ers

• Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • Clatto Verata N... Necktie
    • View Profile
Re: TGB's Diorama of Doom
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 06:28:08 PM »
insane, so are you finished now?

Captain Sprout

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 06:43:51 PM »
The mushroom cloud is a great effect! Instantly recognisable and looks very good.

Those wave effects are also really cool, the splashing effect at the top is nice.

Offline TwoGunBob

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 06:49:31 PM »
It unfortunately jumps straight to a finished product as I was sweating bleeding, cussing, and even occasionally painting furiously and never looked twice at the camera as I was assembling it and experimenting with paper clips, hot glue, more sand, more joint compound... It all worked in the end and the diorama came together.

The Beginning side has Beachbabe Libby out for a beachside stroll, the last sunny stroll the world may well see for some time as THE END comes down in a reign of fire. The shockwaves level buildings and flips cars. The peaceful beachside scene is a flash in time before the chaos descends.

The End? side shows the stalwart survivors defending one of the gates leading to the Forbidden Lands that are inhabited by the cannibalistic Zoners, those degenerate creatures slowly dying of radiation poisoning, driven crazy by the pain of slow death. The gate is flanked by two scarecrows as both a more lighthearted warning in serious times but observant eyes might catch the glint of the tripwire running between the two and the grenade wired into one of their hands. You can see the car that was aerial via a shockwave on the flipside has come to rest and has turned to rust some years later.
Most of it is pretty self-explanatory adn I sent a long winded diatribe with the pictures anyway so... Without further ado...

Offline TwoGunBob

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 06:59:39 PM »
And The End? side.

And that's all folks. The thing was a brutal monster to complete and I'm not sure if the pictures really do well as I have a digital camera that is around 8-9 years old but there it is. All the hardwork and now I have to figure out where to store the thing out of reach of children that will surely want to play with the figures.

Offline gi6ers

• Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • Clatto Verata N... Necktie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 07:15:04 PM »
Very cool mate, good story telling and a clever approach.

Captain Sprout

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 10:09:15 PM »
That is big!

I like the one with the woman on the beach with the car and the house going up behind her. Very effective shot.

Offline Toosh

• Dark Underlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 11:38:14 PM »
Wow that was a really ambitious project you did, congratulations on your achievement  :applause:  There are lots of models there and I think your idea for the scene is very original.  I particularly like the mushroom cloud - I was a bit sceptical at first when you mentioned cotton wool balls, but its really very effective!! Nicely done  :thumbup:  :D
My body is a temple. The problem is, Buddha moved in

Offline TwoGunBob

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 04:27:04 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Between the diorama and finishing a good dozen buildings for a convention game I kind of burnt myself out on painting for the time being. I have some ACW figures to paint for a game next year but suddenly realize I know nothing about much about uniform colors when it comes to all the belts, pouches, buckles, etc.
I should really stick to sci-fi and fantasy so I can do it my way rather than researching for the color of a metal tip on a bayonet scabbard.

Offline DanG

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • LJ weblog
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 05:17:39 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Between the diorama and finishing a good dozen buildings for a convention game I kind of burnt myself out on painting for the time being. I have some ACW figures to paint for a game next year but suddenly realize I know nothing about much about uniform colors when it comes to all the belts, pouches, buckles, etc.
I should really stick to sci-fi and fantasy so I can do it my way rather than researching for the color of a metal tip on a bayonet scabbard.

For the ACW, which side and which end of the war.

the Confederates were pretty ad-hoc by the end, starved of supplies and equipment many regiments were forced into looting the dead and scavenging equipment, which may help avoid some research...
DanG™  :transform:

"If your Martial Arts prowess fails to resolve a situation play dead. When playing dead doesn't work, play zombie."

Offline TwoGunBob

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 05:58:13 PM »
Nine Union and Nine Confederates that seperately make up occult investigation units that are running into each other at the site of a Louisiana plantation manor inhabited by some vampires, a werewolf, and possibly even Frankenstein's distant cousin's niece or something.

ACW horror, why not?

Lost Boy

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 06:42:56 PM »
Nine Union and Nine Confederates that seperately make up occult investigation units that are running into each other at the site of a Louisiana plantation manor inhabited by some vampires, a werewolf, and possibly even Frankenstein's distant cousin's niece or something.

What game is this? Sounds really interesting.

Offline TwoGunBob

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 06:57:18 PM »
I'm using Howard Whitehouse's Astounding Tales! 2nd edition for it. I'm shoehorning in some rules but not very many honestly. I thought about a reload action and an action for changing ammunition from wood for vampires to silver for werewolves but realized all the detail would just slow the game down and that 'experienced' occult hunters would be somewhat prepared to face down their quarry. I prefer to have a game go at breackneck speed and not sweat out planning and plotting too much. Besides, the giant alligator ghoul should cause enough mischief.
Mostly I just try to run something different at the wargaming convention I go to as it's mostly historicals and I'm just not a fan of historicals. Why not have soldiers rapid firing pistols and squaring off against a werewolf with a silver bayonets gleaming? If I can get my muse back I might even refine the notes into a scenario.
Of course I know zero about ACW uniforms, as I mentioned, as the period didn't ever interest me much until I thought up the scenario as a light poke in the eye to the ACW wargamers that take things a little too seriously.

Lost Boy

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 07:02:59 PM »
 :applause:

That sounds really cool. Kind of like Tannhauser, but set during the ACW. You should keep notes and let us know how it all pans out, and how the story developes.

Offline alrith72

• Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 10:12:47 AM »
You're Bonkers! (but it's a great Diorama)  :applause:  :thumbup:
Paintoff Results- Won-0 Lost-2 (D'oh!)

Custom_Hobby

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 02:54:42 PM »
The mushroom could was a terrific idea

Offline TwoGunBob

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 02:17:00 AM »
I got the most terrifying e-mail from Heresy about my entry and I suppose this should be moved as I put it in the WIP progress section but it is the completed diorama.

Offline Ritual

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 04:51:16 PM »
This is really cool! The explosion works really well, and that is hard to pull off!

Chrysalis

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 04:57:16 PM »
You captured the action of the explosion very well.

I particularly like the chick not aware that a building wall is about to fall on her head  :silly

Offline Tasker

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • How far to Hitchin? It's Hitchin i'm missing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 05:36:36 PM »
If that's a nuke then Libby is about to get a serious suntan.   :thumbup:
Tasker the Mighty,
He roams through the countryside,
He never needs a place to hide...

Offline Toosh

• Dark Underlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 06:57:29 PM »
Oooh new pics!!  I love the angle where Libby is just holding onto her hat as if a 'slight breeze' might dislodge it and then all hell is breaking loose behind her - and if she looked up, she's see the building just about to collapse on her!!  Inspired!!  :applause:
My body is a temple. The problem is, Buddha moved in

Offline Avicenna

• Slave to Paint
  • Global Moderator
  • Fallen One
  • Dragon #39... The perils of rock 'n roll decadence
    • View Profile
    • The Jolly Bodgers
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 07:02:23 PM »
Wow! I know i've not commented on any of the DoDs yet, but this is where I will start! ;)

This is a wonderful angle! I know it doesnt show all the work you have put into the rest of the minis, but i love the dynamics - the calm strolling of Libby combined with the devastation behind!  :thumbup:
-Peter
My new Blog: http://www.jollybodgers.com

"...you describe yourself as an amateur. Don't forget that word comes from the French, meaning "lover of".
In artistic endeavours the very best results come from those who love what they do, whether or not they get paid for it "
-Bewildered Badger '07

Custom_Hobby

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 03:19:30 PM »
Its like the blast hit her and she only needed to hold her hat thinking it was just the wind.

Offline Nosferatu

• Dark Lord
  • For Grek
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/nosferatu/
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 08:46:19 AM »
Yep, Libby and her relation to the scene is the best bit, but this is a very imaginative combination of many, many figures! Congrats on getting so much done in so little time! It'd take me about 3 years to paint that many minis!  :shock:

Nice work.  :thumbup:
Heron Island photos done! See blog...

Offline freakinacage

• heretic and heathen
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 08:26:01 PM »
*ker-boom*! great idea