Author Topic: Breaking the Silence  (Read 5328 times)

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Breaking the Silence
« on: August 23, 2015, 06:41:34 AM »
So it has been quite some time since I have been around here.  I haven't been very active in the hobby much in the last year.  Apparently the Cult of Inevitable  Decay took more out of me than I thought.  I have on numerous occasions, sat down at my work bench wanting to paint something, only to look at the pile of assembled figures, then the larger one of untouched ones, and had the 'I want to but could do something else less daunting' feeling.  Most of the time, that alone has made me feel awful about not doing anything, but at the same time, I have not wanted to try and push through and end up feeling like I could have done better if I actually wanted to be doing what I was doing.  I have actually had a couple of successful paint jobs gone from start to finish, this last few months, like mutant Joe, Aisnath Waite (spelling?) and Tilda in particular.  I hope to be able to get pictures of them this weekend to post here.  Also, I have returned my attention to the horrible nasty spikey beast that is the Netherlord 2.  I just finished the, I think, fifth layer of skin tone a few minutes ago.  Maybe four or five more to go, maybe less.  Have to see how it goes.  Seeing as he is mostly skin, he will be over half done when I'm happy with the way he looks.  I should get pictures of  him too. 

I haven't painted much, and now that it is nearly September, which brings about hunting season in my part of the world, I don't know how much I will be painting in the near future, but I hope to be inspired to do so when I get time.  Life gets in the way.  That's the way of it.  I have been struggling with addiction as well.  I can admit it.  That's the first step right?  Admitting you have a problem.  Then wanting to be rid of the thing that is a problem for you.  Then getting rid of it and staying away from it.  Stupid Minecraft!  Not what you were expecting?  Sorry to disappoint.  I was actually addicted to it I think.  I believe I have an addictive personality, if that is what you want to call it.  The very reason I've always said no to alcohol, drugs, coffee and WoW.  Dude all of those things together are a very bad idea.

I took advantage of the Slain Dragon Sale earlier and ordered some things from Heresy, and have my eye for some things from Hasslefree and Fenris, so the hobby isn't dead in me yet.  Hopefully it never is.  Anyhoo, I was going to post this before posting in any other thread but got distracted.

Looking forward to sharing what I've been working on, and to see what you lot are up to.  I'm going to try and be an active member here abouts again so, see you 'round soon.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking the Silence
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 08:46:39 AM »
Nice to see you back mate. My kids are on to minecraft and I have to limit time on it for them so I can see the addiction there. I've not painted much recently myself. My 3d printer has been taking up much of my hobby time, that and getting a much better, faster computer that plays all the games I coudlnt before. Keep chugging along with the hobby though. I still seem to buy 10 times as much as I paint then cull it down every now and again usually selling the stuff I got for a pittance and making more cash back on it.
Looking forward to seeing more of the NL2

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 04:59:49 AM »
I've made a few posts to further make some noise.  Nice pictures included.

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline eastman

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 05:10:39 AM »
I can understand life getting in the way of painting. Compared to Jan-July, I actually had a productive painting August. The key for me is getting together with friends for a Friday paint night. Being away from home makes it a lot easier to focus on painting.

Just finished basecoating a Boudi, so at the rate I'm painting, she should be finished by June.
I used to think it was a terrible thing that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'what if life *were* fair, and all of the terrible things that happen to us came because we really deserved them?' Now I take great comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe - Marcus Cole (Babylon 5)

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 06:41:47 AM »
Apparently I have not kept my word.  Haven't had time to paint and not been too tired to think.  Too much work.  Back in September, one coworker went on stress leave.  Don't understand why.  Must be more than I can see.  That meant that I and another coworker had to alternate six day work weeks.  Then two days after her sixty first birthday, our only other coworker, besides the manager, had a stroke.  That was early November.  Then me and the other guy were both working six day weeks.  Lots of paid overtime, but very tired.  Stress leave guy is apparently coming back February 1 and our other coworker was cleared to come back December 28, and suffered no lasting injury.  Hopefully I can get back to two day weekends soon.  Lots of things wanting to be painted.  Have to see what happens.

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 07:16:40 AM »
On the plus side overtime equals more money to buy minis... Or food for the table. Hopefully you'll get back into it soon. I've had some good painting time lately but have just been trying to clear the painting desk of all my half started paint jobs. Halfway there.