Author Topic: Gibbergeist's sculpting attempts. (update 24/04/15)  (Read 14535 times)

Offline Gibbergeist

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Gibbergeist's sculpting attempts. (update 24/04/15)
« on: February 28, 2015, 08:56:54 PM »
Hi all,

Not getting much feedback on some other forums I posted on and a mate told me to post here! It took too long for me to register anyhow since I know quite a few ugly mugs who frequent here!  ;)

I've been learning to sculpt for a while now. Slow process and not finishing a lot yet. This mostly due to the learning process and also motivation!  :roll:

I am using a 70/80% URO to 20/30% Super Sculpey combination which my mate Peder Bartholdy advised me. Being used to GS (and a bit of Fimo) this was a revelation to me! I like the feel of the stuff and the fact you can mess around for some time and then put it away and continue later with no real hassle at all.

I've done some armatures and messed around with the stuff but I've chucked out most of them already as there were just so many mistakes! Still, I am getting the hang of it I think and the following sculpts I feel confident with which are good enough to show you.

Demal

I call it a Demal (demon/alien, couldn't make up my mind!) and I am having a bumfudge getting his arms right! Stalled for when I get the mood for him again! Around 24mm high

Mr. Slithers

Mr. Slithers. Had a ball of putty, started pushing and this is what happened! Am wondering what sort of more detailing I should give it. Probably warts and some skin leshions... Around 20mm high and 30mm long and also still wip.

Now onto my favourite so far which I am really enjoying! a little robe wearing robot and this time I am really glad I did his head/face first! It helps visualizing the whole piece a lot and in my opinion shows the character it already has and it inspires me continue and actually finish someting!  :mrgreen:

Little robot

And a bit more progress

What do you think of it so far?!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:06:19 PM by Gibbergeist »

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
Re: Gibbergeist's sculpting attempts.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 04:05:13 AM »
Nice work. I'm loving Mr Slithers. Kind of a Ghostbusters Slimer but with legs, and lots of 'em. Keep it up.
I should post my latest sculpts too. I've got my muse back.

Offline Gibbergeist

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 04:01:25 PM »
Thank you so much beefcake!  I would love to see your sculpts!  :D

Not much sculpting done but I hope to get a few hours in this weekend and show a finished sculpt shortly after!

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 05:15:26 PM »
There is some interesting stuff going on here :)

My favourite is the one at the bottom. Even though he has a simple face design, he has a lot of character.

The top one is looking good and I am sure that the addition of arms will make him even better.

The slimer type is good but I would suggest that you tie the shoulders into the neck a bit... at the moment, the shoulders look a bit like ball and socket joints that don't blend in with the more natural shapes of the rest of the sculpt.

The only advice I can offer is that every sculpt you try will improve your control of the putty you use, so keep practicing and don't be discouraged if you have to start again... by sculpting 'wrong' you are learning to sculpt 'right'.

I am no expert but if you get stuck or need any advice, feel free to PM me and I will try to help :)
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline No Head Ned

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 02:04:27 PM »
These are very interesting, what I can see here looks pretty good, nice clear detail, no soft edges or visible thumbprints. I would love to see some more.

Slow process and not finishing a lot yet. This mostly due to the learning process and also motivation!
I know that feeling :) as Inso said, the more you try the better you get.

I've done some armatures and messed around with the stuff but I've chucked out most of them already as there were just so many mistakes!
I did the same with my early failures. Now I sort of wish I had kept some. When you look at the old stuff, you can see how far you have come. And sometimes you see a technique you were using early on, and think "why did I stop doing that?"

I am really glad I did his head/face first! It helps visualizing the whole piece a lot and in my opinion shows the character it already has and it inspires me continue and actually finish someting!
Maybe I should try this approach. I have mostly been starting at the feet and working up.

Offline Gibbergeist

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 04:55:15 PM »
@Inso: I agree Inso, I should maybe add a flab of fatty skin draping over it a bit. Thank for the advice and offer to help!  :D

@No Head Ned: Hmm, they are in my hobby bin so i might be able to recover them. It sounds quite logical really! Also cool to keep track of (if!) my improvement!  :idea:

Meanwhile, I have started another robot. The Little one is almost finished too but he fell and I need to do some repairments... :(

The robe part and the engine on his back are as good as done I think, just some more smoothing and touching up. what do you guys think, shall i add some holes here and there to make the robe more worn and aged?

I have placed a makeshift hood and arms to show what I have in mind. He's holding some sort of floaring sphere and his head will be  featureless, oval mirror/glass like which will hopefully turn out really sinister in combination with his hood!

Thoughts?

Offline Gibbergeist

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Oh boy it's quiet here! Ah well...

Pretty big update! :)

I baked the sculpts as I was constantly damaging them due to my clumsy fat fingers! The cool thing about the URO/Super Sculpey combination is that you can add fresh putty onto the cured sculpt very easily. I was kinda scared putting my sculpts in the oven as I had never done that before! I tried it first with an old discarded project and quickly got the hang of it. A lot thanks to Andrew May's tips and descriptions! :D

Here's some more work on Bot1.

And here's a lot of progress on robot 2.

And a new one, the beginnings of the third bot. Why is he mounted on a stick? Well because he will be a floating little bot, that's why! :)

And that's it! Well, not really! :P While baking the others I had some time to kill and this one rolled out very fast somehow! He will be sporting a gun arm and I posed him with a duelist in mind as inspiration.

Offline Gibbergeist

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Gibbergeist's sculpting attempts. (update 31/3)
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 02:08:55 PM »
Small update on the gun arm bot!

Offline No Head Ned

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »
These are very cool. I particularly like Bot #2, it's creepily sinister :thumbup:
Any more progress on these?

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 05:59:20 AM »
I like the latest one. Cool, nice pose

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »
I would be commenting further but I am unable to see many of the pics (due to my workplace security measures)... so please don't think that I am unimpressed :)
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline MartinWhitmore

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • The Art & Blog of Martin Whitmore
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
I'm quite enjoying these little robots... they seem like they're the leftover remnants of a long-dead civilization, who are just getting on with their robot lives. They'd be fun to paint up!

Offline Gibbergeist

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Gibbergeist's sculpting attempts. (update 24/04/15)
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 05:06:50 PM »
Thank you guys!  :D

Finally been able to do some more sculpting. I started this guy the other day and besides some touch ups and maybe adding some more small details he is done. Roughly 5 hours of work went into it and he's 15mm to the centre of its eye! ;)