Author Topic: Blast from the past  (Read 28902 times)

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
Re: Blast from the past
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2014, 06:57:27 PM »
I think the solution is just going to be a timely one of having to lengthen all the wall heights. I don't know the program and whether it will allow you to section off an area and remove it.
What about a back door that opens like a deloreon, hinged on top? There would still be the option of having a fold down ramp in that case as well.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2014, 07:34:04 PM »
I think the solution is just going to be a timely one of having to lengthen all the wall heights. I don't know the program and whether it will allow you to section off an area and remove it.
What about a back door that opens like a deloreon, hinged on top? There would still be the option of having a fold down ramp in that case as well.

ooooo now a gull wing door on the back, where the hinge line sits on the roof... that might be interesting.... hmmmmm

brain goes into full steam mode.
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2014, 10:28:37 PM »
Have rear legs that extend, as well as a belly ramp that lowers hinged from the front?

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »
Breaking up the cockpit into pieces that will fit on the 3D Printer table.

"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2014, 03:34:30 PM »
It may look like all I've done is some colouring in. But the Cockpit and Engines are now hollowed, split into castable components and are shown here with some colours just to highlight the details a little better.

If you look at the join lines for the cockpit you'll see locating lugs allowing magnets to be used to 'snap' the components together when assembling. I think this will still be manufactured as a solid resin piece for simplicity but the hollow 2mm shell means the print cost is dramatically reduced. I've also added an Iris valve to back of the cockpit for those that want to be able to model this with a detached cockpit at some point.

More and bigger pictures as always on my blog - link in signature.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:48:28 PM by Brandlin »

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »
Looks like a little space runabout in its own right.  :cool:

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2014, 10:32:06 PM »
Apart from the very obvious Eagle influence, the pod also reminds me of the Narcissus (Nostromo's escape pod):

Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2014, 02:42:50 PM »
Thank you Mr Teufel - that was the idea. Hopefully I might be able to sell a few on their own...

Thank you Ajsalium - I don't see the likeness myself.

The redesign of the main Hull is now underway

Now it is topless!

The roof is removable to allow you to get figures and vehicles inside.

Also the Main structure of the ship is simplified with flight stand connections and landing gear incorporated. There are also holes pre-cut for wiring, and I will incorporate a lighting rig and battery compartment in the design.

The redesign has also meant that the main bay of the ship is a much simpler boxy structure, 70mm Wide, 180mm long and 45mm high

Height remains the issue and I've yet to design the rear door where the reduced bulge and the door frame itself will intrude.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2014, 03:47:50 PM »
One of the things I always planned is to be able to game 6mm scale sweeping battles AND 28mm Skirmish actions as part of the same campaign. This means having the same figures in both scales.

Therefore I need a 6mm DropShip and a 28mm Scale one.

So with a bit of judicious scaling, and simplifying of a number of features that would be lost at 6mm scale, this is where I have got to so far. I have the tails to add, and a little more simple detail on the hull (a couple of vents, access hatches that kind of thing).

Overall dimensions 52 x 34 x 17

I think this will have to be cast in two pieces. The hull and engines should be cast in a single piece (though I shall have to smooth the join between engine and hull a little). The cockpit split line is not coincident with the main hull split line so I suspect it will have to be cast separately.

The tails are not shown here - but I am hoping they would be strong enough to be cast with the hull... they'd be very fiddly if cast separately.

Anyway, pictures...

Offline Hopeful

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
I've only come across this today and I'd say you have a marvellous looking model there.

I prefer the new cockpit with its more curvy design.

You've mentioned 6mm and 28mm have you thought about 15mm?

On another point have you thought about this ships fighter equivalent; a sort of hawk to this designs eagle? You were talking about releasing the cockpit separately so I thought how about a sleek, armed fighter body to stick the cockpit on to. Here's a picture of a hawk just in case no one knows what I'm talking about

http://community.coreldraw.com/resized-image/__size/1040x703/__key/telligent-evolution-components-attachments/13-511-00-00-00-06-98-53/1999Hawk.jpg

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2014, 12:46:34 PM »
I've only come across this today and I'd say you have a marvellous looking model there.

I prefer the new cockpit with its more curvy design.

You've mentioned 6mm and 28mm have you thought about 15mm?

On another point have you thought about this ships fighter equivalent; a sort of hawk to this designs eagle? You were talking about releasing the cockpit separately so I thought how about a sleek, armed fighter body to stick the cockpit on to. Here's a picture of a hawk just in case no one knows what I'm talking about

http://community.coreldraw.com/resized-image/__size/1040x703/__key/telligent-evolution-components-attachments/13-511-00-00-00-06-98-53/1999Hawk.jpg

Thank you for the feedback Hopeful. The Resilient has been a long time in the gestation and there's still a fair way to go.

Yes, i have 'thought' about 15mm. Very briefly. I dont game in 15mm, but when i look at the cost of 28mm i often wish i'd chosen 15.

The purpose of this model is to have a hollow 28mm for posing on a flight stand for display or on the tabletop. Hence my choice to build it with lasercut components. It's a tech i know, unlike resin casting. I also wanted to see how far I could push lasercutting. At 28mm the ship is just about viable, at 15mmm lasercutting would be ruled out completely.

It is true that once a digital shell/outline model is complete then rescaling it is relatively straightforwards, so 6, 15, 28, 54mm etc scales are pretty easy in resin casting. Rescaling the lasercut skeleton on the other hand is a major problem, and if it gets much smaller than 28, then it just isn't going to be viable.

If I do a 15mm scale version, then it will be a full resin cast.

And i still have a lot to learn about designing for resin casting just to get the 28mm made. That's one of the reasons for looking at casting the 6mm first.

As i said on the Lead Adventure forum (LAF) all this talk of scales is making me thinking of nesting Russian dolls - dropships deploying dropships!

Offline Hopeful

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2014, 12:57:04 PM »
For your gladius tank conundrum you could try a 'Rear bulge' (stop sniggering at the back) between the tail fins so the turret will fit in, but this will compromise the original shape.

One other solution could be a narrative approach i.e. say that the gladius tank's turret can actually sink down into the hull and it pops up when it's deployed. Of course this won't actually fit the tank in. :nah: If you want a full scale Gerry Anderson solution then the ship has a rear gull door which hooks onto the turret and detaches it when the tank loads. The tank then drives in and when it unloads as it drives out the door lowers and reattaches the turret :nah:

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2014, 02:59:41 PM »
For your gladius tank conundrum you could try a 'Rear bulge' (stop sniggering at the back) between the tail fins so the turret will fit in, but this will compromise the original shape.

One other solution could be a narrative approach i.e. say that the gladius tank's turret can actually sink down into the hull and it pops up when it's deployed. Of course this won't actually fit the tank in. :nah: If you want a full scale Gerry Anderson solution then the ship has a rear gull door which hooks onto the turret and detaches it when the tank loads. The tank then drives in and when it unloads as it drives out the door lowers and reattaches the turret :nah:

Thanks for the suggestions Hopeful. Unfortunately none of them quite work for me. I did play around with the idea of having the whole rear end lift up like a gull-wing to make the rear door as big as possible - but to my eye it just looked silly. It also had to lift up and therefore needed supporting whilst posed.

I shall simply have a light version (this one) and a heavy one. RESILIENT CLASS and .... Oh My God Class.

6mm finished.

Files are off to a couple of printers for quotes and advice etc before i commit to the 28mm

Coloured it in fully just for fun...

Offline Hopeful

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2014, 02:38:49 AM »
I honestly didn't think any of them would work... but I thought I'd try anyway.

Nice picture; what's the dome like structure between the rear dorsal fins? A defence turret (for the inevitable fighter interception)? Or a 'It looked good so I stuck it on' device?

I also realised what it reminded me of; the 'Visitors' shuttle from 'V'

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/104/a/1/v_transport_shuttles_ortho_by_unusualsuspex-d7dszck.jpg

When I looked it didn't seem like the resemblance was that strong. Maybe I should have spent more time looking at the shuttle and less time staring at Diana :nah:

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2014, 03:10:43 AM »
Hi Hopeful...

Diana? you too huh??

I appreciate all ideas - it helps me think things through.

On the 28mm ship I have a radar dish arrangement that mounts between the fins. That has undercuts that would be problematic to mold in situe on the hull, and at this scale doing it separately is ... silly. So it has become a radar dome / comms unit / breast thingy.

Meanwhile... on the 28mm ship, I have started to flesh out the internal decor. The main bulkhead shown here separates the hold from the cockpit via an iris valve.

You can see a number of storage compartments, medical station and ... "gubbins". This will be resin cast and inserted into the frame.

You can also see the slightly recessed floor allowing for the longer ramp and maximising the rear door height. The opening for the rear door is now complete.

Down each side of the hull is also a "ledge". I am considering continuing the idea of internal 'panels' down each side. Just 3 mm deep these would give the sense of the internals of the ship. Seats for troops, weapon racks... that kind of thing. What do you think? I could make a small number of these which could then be mixed and matched as you wish and simply glued to the inside walls.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »
Next panel in the interior coming together - Monitoring station.

Will be mirrored onto the other side (rather than the expense of additional molds. I still need to detail the 'recess between the screens.

Fold up Seats and overhead cabin baggage will run down the two sides, and then I'll come up with something else at the door end.

I will add  weapon racks, general storage, ring fixing points for securing the payload. Any other ideas or suggestions?

I will have to swap to another 3D package to do the 'softer' stuff like straps and such like so they may not get done. Also I quite like the 'clean' look of the interior.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2014, 04:40:49 AM »
Spinning runner things on the ground for easy movement of cargo?
Parachutes (although they would probably be on the minis)
Vending machine.
Static line deployment for paratroopers (maybe too low tech though)
Cargo
Lighting systems?

All looking really good. Love the opening and the monitor system.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:41:38 AM by beefcake »

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2014, 09:41:20 AM »
Spinning runner things on the ground for easy movement of cargo?
Parachutes (although they would probably be on the minis)
Vending machine.
Static line deployment for paratroopers (maybe too low tech though)
Cargo
Lighting systems?

All looking really good. Love the opening and the monitor system.

Thanks for the feedback beefcake

Spinning runner things... Hmm. The recess you see in the floor here is so that the full length ramp can be slotted in. I wasn't thinking of much more than diamond plate for that. Will need to think how I can detail it better.

Parachutes - maybe a little low tech, but troop packs etc would be present, problem is I don't want to commit to anything that ties the ship to a particular figure line. Also the 'soft stuff' is harder (for me) to model.

Vending machine - ? Errr? This isn't an American ship!

Static line - possibly. Certainly part of the grubbing. I WILL add landing jump lights at the door. Good idea.

Cargo - no. There are hundreds of places you can buy cargo so I'll let people choose their own.

Lighting system / I have toyed with this idea, and the main skeleton does have holes to route cables to provide internal lighting to the bay and potentially external lights but only on the hull. Your static line idea about made me think of red/green indicators inside. I'm also now wondering about PL (photo luminescent) paper. I'm not sure how much people would want a lighting kit on a war games model?

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2014, 10:07:22 AM »
Just chucked the vending machine in there, make sure you were reading  :wink:
Was mostly just thinking about ideas, nothing that would necessarily be needs on a ship like this.

Offline Hopeful

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2014, 05:20:34 PM »
A few ideas for interior and exterior fittings. Fell free to completely ignore all of them.

A set of fire extinguishers (low tech but they tend to turn up in films a lot as it's a chance for someone to heroically put a fire out).

The survival panel, a set of emergency respirators

A big button or lever that does something dramatic, like blowing the rear door off if it won't open!

Some stowed cables or a net that's used to secure the loose cargo.

Floor clamps so the passengers don't get hurt by the tank rattling about a bit if the pilot decides to show off.

A floor section with iris valves for dispensing drop troops.

Bomb racks to drop 'presents' for any defenders.

Flare/ chaff/ smoke dispensers for the outside hull.

A 'Mind the step' sign for the rear door. :erm:

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2014, 12:25:44 AM »
fire extinguishers - great idea.

The survival panel, a set of emergency respirators - possibly... have to figure out how to do that - a bit 'soft'.

A big button or lever that does something dramatic, like blowing the rear door off if it won't open! - YES, with a "Do Not PRESS" sign above it.

Some stowed cables or a net that's used to secure the loose cargo - possibly - again too organic/soft for the way I'm working at the moment.

Floor clamps so the passengers don't get hurt by the tank rattling about a bit if the pilot decides to show off. - Already in train, but these will be tie down points on the walls not in the floor as the floor needs to be clear.

A floor section with iris valves for dispensing drop troops. - I would if I was going to have the same exit on the exterior of the hull. Which I'm not.

Bomb racks to drop 'presents' for any defenders. - maybe.

Flare/ chaff/ smoke dispensers for the outside hull. - Already in hand.

A 'Mind the step' sign for the rear door - i think a "Mind you head" sign may be more appropriate given that a) I've had so much trouble with the rear door height, and b) this will be manned by my Grymn.

Offline Hopeful

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2014, 01:59:12 AM »
A floor section with iris valves for dispensing drop troops. - I would if I was going to have the same exit on the exterior of the hull. Which I'm not.
For the outside I was going with idea of streamlined panels that retracted when the internal iris valve opened; did you ever watch Airwolf? I thought of it operating a bit like how it deployed its missiles (panel rises up then moves aside).

For the sign above the rear door how about "If you can read this you're about to get concussion!"

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2014, 01:35:50 AM »
Progress on the hull redesign. I have solved the steep ramp angle problem.

In fact I may have over solved it!

The picture shows the 'false' floor that sits in the cargo bay recess and slides out. The rear door will hinge down as before and magnets in the inside of the door will hold the door up against the underside of the false floor, thus creating a ramp.

When readying for take off, the false floor will slide back into the cargo hold and the same magnets will locate it to the recessed main floor. the door magnets will hold the door shut against the rear hull.

Simples.

The only problem is now that the ramp looks too long! Thats about a 7 degree angle to the horizontal.

I can play with the length of the false floor to get a better look though. Just the hinge and door to redesign now.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2014, 09:47:24 AM »
I reckon about 2/3 that sizes would look really good.

Offline Hopeful

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2014, 12:15:12 PM »
Just a thought but couldn't you have several sizes of ramp? Just put the one that you'll need inside it. This could also be explained by stating that the actual ramp is hinged.

I also know you've ruled it out but I think a door that opens upwards would look better with an extending ramp (but it won't stay in place and maybe some other problems would be caused by doing it)