Author Topic: Background ramblings  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
Background ramblings
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:54:29 PM »
So, with all the renewed excitement brought by the KS, along a nice selection of new minis (terror grub, ner'Gabba, maggotmen), I've been thinkg about the background of the Netherhells setting. Specifically, in the "themes" the forces of Hell seem to show.

On one hand, there's a somewhat nurglesque theme. Although it has taken a life of its own; I think that Leadhead's "Inevitable Decay" sums it up well. Grubs, terror grubs, maggotmen, tunnel guards, blights, the Tunnel Dweler, and Ner'Gabba (so far). Embracing the decay, loving the chance to a new decandent decrepitude.

On the other, I can a see a blooming theme on the other, more traditional demons: Fallen Ones, Azaroth, Bhakoth, hellbeasts, hellhounds, and the Netherlord. I can best describe it as "Martial Tyranny". A tyranny imposed through force and fear. This theme is more or less similar to Khorne, except that it's not about mindless savagery, but more of disciplined armies, fearsome hunting beasts, and powerful characters. A bit nazi-like, if you want.

And then there's Heaven. Andy has already said the Paradise is not a nice place. So I've thought... what if Paradise is a mirror of Hell? The Angel already hints at the possible opposite of "Martial Tyranny"... the "Righteous Anger". If demons are disciplined, angels may be chaotic and almost berserker-like in their zealot.

A possible oposite for "Inevitable Decay" could be something along the lines of "Eternal Perfection". Which sounds rather nice, until you realize it's all about fighting any change, keeping everything in an almost frozen state.

There's also a theme, sex/pleasure, that surely can give birth to two opposing forces, be it either in the form of (sadistic?) lust versus (masochistic?) puritanism, or a classical women versus men.

So what do you think? Any ideas you may want to contribute to the Netherhells setting, to see if we can add to Andy's creative juices.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Background ramblings
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 11:37:18 PM »
Love that my creation got a mention.  I will have to give some thought to Netherhells fluff too.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

Offline Orc Man

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Background ramblings
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 02:43:43 PM »
I read the oooold fluff about the setting way back when.

I seem to recall that the 'themes' of the various demonic forces was based around which Netherlord they were servants of - the netherlords having originally been 12 of the 13 Archangels (the 12th was the one who stayed pure, and from whom all paladins get their power). So the more traditional demons presumably follow the more traditionally demonic Netherlords (1 and 2), drawing physical characteristics from their patron. The Blights et al would be, under the old fluff, the servants of the Lord of Flies, or whatever it was he/she was called.

As for the whole Fallen Ones thing - they were supposed to be mortals who excelled in the service of their chosen netherlord patron, and for their service they are granted the form and powers of a demon. The old Dark lord figure was hinted at being a netherlord in human guise, I believe.

I actually quite liked the old fluff with regards to the Angels vs demons bit of the mythology, and how all the races of the world were descended from one of the original archangels, and when 12 of them fell, their offspring mutated from more 'human' forms into ferals and whatnot.