Author Topic: Mullet the Barbarian delves deep  (Read 9339 times)

Offline Remerezz

• Minion
  • Aka; Darren, Daz, D
    • View Profile
Mullet the Barbarian delves deep
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »
Hi all

I have been working on this for a couple of weeks. Actually from the start of the Heresy kickstarter; Return of the Monsters. It's the first diorama I've ever made, which is surprising given how much I love terrain! Hopefully I will get this finished soon (when the bases for the miniatures turn up). Sorry, image heavy!

So please, tell me what you think!  :D

http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/remerezz/library/?sort=3&page=1
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:42:59 AM by Remerezz »
I apologiese; Me + PC =  :doh:

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Mullet the Barbarian delves deep
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 06:25:52 PM »
Looking great so far.  The walls and ceiling are very good.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline Ben Brownlie

• Badger Loving Fluffster
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
  • Ninja Hugger of Doom
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 06:46:26 PM »
Wow! Lovely stuff there. Really going great guns so far  :thumbup:

Offline Ben Brownlie

• Global Moderator
  • Ninja Hugger of Doom
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:53:58 PM »
What did you use to coat the base foam? From the colour it looks like green stuff / milliput mix ?

Offline Remerezz

• Minion
  • Aka; Darren, Daz, D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 06:57:31 PM »
Cheers!  :D

Sorry I should really mention the materials used! :silly It's a plasticard structure with styrofaom (underfloor heating board) sub-structure. I then used milliput to coat over the top and sculpt into.

This is actually built in two parts - which makes it a little easier to construct. Once it goes together properly it will get a little tricky to finish off/ paint! I hope tomorrow the bases arrive for the miniatures, then I can continue. I'm really enjoying the process of this. I had never used milliput before this project.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:41:26 PM »
Pictures broke.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline No Head Ned

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:19:44 PM »
Pictures were working fine, until I logged into the forum... how strange. :scratchhead:
Looks amazing so far, can we expect an entry for the Diorama of Doom as well?

Edit: I click on "post", and the pictures all come back. I think the forum has gremlins... :paranoid2:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:20:54 PM by No Head Ned »

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 12:18:29 AM »
After looking on the photobucket I really like the look of it. From the thumbnails I initially thought it was an ice diorama which would have also looked cool. Nice work. :)

Offline Remerezz

• Minion
  • Aka; Darren, Daz, D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 07:45:16 AM »
Morning!

Sorry all, the images broke because I put them in a folder on photobucket! I have sorted it now :)

Thanks for the comments! Gotta go to work now, so I will check the comments properly later!  :D

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »
looking great so far  :applause:
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline Remerezz

• Minion
  • Aka; Darren, Daz, D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 02:40:35 PM »
Hello again all! Thanks for the comments!

@Beefcake; Thats a cool idea, maybe using a Snow Troll! Might do that at some point...
@No Head Ned; As a fresh-faced Minion on here I wasn't aware that there is such a competition  :oops: I like the idea of it though! So yes, I think I might look into that  :boing:

Unfortuantely I won't be doing any sculpting on this today - the bases haven't arrived  :tantrum: I'm going to be using Renedra bases from now on, as I'm sick of making my own!

Offline Internalclock

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 09:23:08 AM »
 :applause: looks brill. Are the figures sculpted or just base sprayed? I do everything with GS mixed with a little fimo but its expensive and I struggle with simple chibi shapes... its much better for detail. I dabble in super sculpy but not everything I use likes going in the oven.

Offline Remerezz

• Minion
  • Aka; Darren, Daz, D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 11:12:13 AM »
Morning all!  :D

Well the Renedra bases turned up late yesterday, so I couldn't resist putting some more milliput on this! Nearly there now, just got to sort the Giant Scorpion and Mullets bases out then I can permenately fix the two interlocking pieces in place.

@Internalclock; The figures are all Heresy miniatures - Mullet the Barbarian, Giant Scorpion and three Gribbly Slugs. They are sprayed with Army Painters Fur Brown. The treasure chest is made from balsa wood and plasticard. Generally speaking I don't do a great deal of sculpting - this is my first big project! I have dabbled, but I don't usually have the patience for it.

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 11:17:17 AM »
Nice bases, fit well and usable without the diorama too, good thinking. Stalactites look great.

Offline Remerezz

• Minion
  • Aka; Darren, Daz, D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 09:45:48 AM »
Thanks Beefcake! I did some more work to this yesterday, I will post the pic's a little later :)

Offline Ben Brownlie

• Global Moderator
  • Ninja Hugger of Doom
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 02:01:34 PM »
What did you use to edge the scene? I have stacks of 6mm foam board which I was going to use to edge a huge playing board but it dents too easily so will spoli the look. Is that plasticard?

Offline Remerezz

• Minion
  • Aka; Darren, Daz, D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 05:17:41 PM »
Evening all. I haven't had chance to do any work to this today, or take photos of the work I did yesterday yet! I'm off to work shortly too, so I will be working on this tomorrow - as I have a day off!  :boing:

@Ben Brownlie; Yes the edge is plasticard. What might be better for edging a playing board is hardboard. It's generally 3mm thick and around 4 a sheet (120cm x 60cm). I think edging a board with plasticard could get pricey. Also try this; http://www.hirstarts.com/tips28/tips28.html#top - I made a 6ft x 4ft one using 18mm MDF and black leatherette for about 30. It transforms our kitchen table into a great gaming table!

Offline Remerezz

• Minion
  • Aka; Darren, Daz, D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 09:51:07 PM »
Day off I said; fat chance there! Ahh well, I got quite a bit done tonight. Please excuse the pictures, they are in very poor light!

The sub-level now has a 'slug hole'. It was an after thought which I think works well! Just the Scorpion base to sort now. I plan to put mushrooms, foilage and the like, along with some critters like a bat.

On a similar vein, I need some advice painting a cavern! I have tried to look online for advice but not much has come up. I am trying to avoid the traditional grey!!  :lol:

Offline No Head Ned

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 04:30:26 PM »
Looking really good so far, I'm very keen to see how this all turns out. :popcorn:
need some advice painting a cavern! I have tried to look online for advice but not much has come up. I am trying to avoid the traditional grey
Maybe try a redder, ruddier sort of look?
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Wookey_Hole_caves_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1250476.jpg

Offline Ben Brownlie

• Global Moderator
  • Ninja Hugger of Doom
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 02:03:07 PM »
The cavey bits are looking better and better

As for the edging, hardboard isn't smooth enough so I think I'm left with pricey of full of dents :) - but thanks for the info. Much appreciated

Offline Remerezz

• Minion
  • Aka; Darren, Daz, D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 05:30:51 PM »
Evening!  :D

Just taken some photos of the work I did yesterday. Both Mullet and the Scorpion now have bases. Now it's a case of finishing off the Scorpions ledge, which needs sanding, then cleaning up the outside casing which has excess milliput all over it. Also I have started mocking-up some mushrooms which are based around the glowing mushrooms in skyrim, just cause! I had thoughts about making them from clear resin and sticking L.E.D's behind them - but as I don't have any experience moulding or casting I thought it best not to bother!

I have started messing around with colours too. I have tried to use washes as layers, which have some interesting results. Some of my results are found in the album on photobucket http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/remerezz/library/Mullet%20Diorama?sort=3&page=1

Offline BecauseWeIsMonsters

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 01:03:05 AM »
This is looking really good.
In 2014
Miniatures completed: 18
Miniatures accidentally destroyed: 8
Miniatures needlessly rebased: 6

Offline Remerezz

• Minion
  • Aka; Darren, Daz, D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 09:38:54 PM »
Good evening all  :D

Sorry for the silence! I now have the colour scheme sorted. It took sooo many trial and error attempts, because I was trying to avoid dry brushing! However it will be a dry brushing exercise...  :yawn: Alas, it will look the buisness! I will post a picture of my palette when I have good light to take a photo, in the meantime I will explain my colour scheme here. I use citadel paints. If I use the old name of a paint, I don't have a new version. This is important because in my experience some of the new paints are different colours.

Black - Base Coat
Rhinox Hide - Base Coat
Scorched Brown (Rhinox Hide is the replacement for Scorched Brown, but it is NOT the same colour) - Dry brush
Mournfang Brown (Bestial Brown) - Dry brush
Skrag Brown (Vermin Brown) - Dry brush
Snakebite Leather (Balor Brown) - Heavy dry brush
Zamesi Desert (Bubonic Brown) - Heavy dry brush
Ushabti Bone (Bleached Bone) - Dry brush

Washes will be used to add depth and details. I will be using Nuln Oil, Seraphim Sepia, Agrax Earthshade and Coelia Greenshade.

The complexity won't stop there. I will be attempting to add lighting effects to this diorama, which will be a first for me. There will be about six different tones with the paint and an extra twenth four possible tones added with the washes!  :shock:

I did start undercoating this with a tin of Army Painter black spray - but it almost ruined the whole thing! I have been having issues with this and another tin of fur brown - they have not been mixing properly and throwing splodges all over models. This culminated on this project when all the details disappeared on certain parts! I was gutted and very frustrated! So now I am looking into getting some citadel spray paint - but catching my local GW open seems to be an impossible task!!  :tantrum:

Now I must apologies again - for the ESSAY!  :lmao:

Offline Remerezz

• Minion
  • Aka; Darren, Daz, D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »
Afternoon all  :smile:

I have managed to get some work done to this, but due to rubbish lighting I haven't taken many photos! Plus all thats happened is it's been sprayed black, painted brown then drybrushed brown - not all that exciting! Anyway, here are some snaps...

The last one is a new tool I was required to make! Which my wifed raised the question - can you buy bendy brushes to paint those hard to reach areas?!   :lol: On this picture, I have just realised, is the sample I made for the paint scheme. It wouldn't photograph very well so I gave up. On this picture however it looks fine!  :crazy: You can clearly see the washes running down the already drybrush layered scheme. I will attempt to photograph this again at some point...