Author Topic: Aw crap, I finally got hooked on World of Tanks!  (Read 3840 times)

Offline GearHead

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
Aw crap, I finally got hooked on World of Tanks!
« on: June 28, 2014, 01:16:46 AM »
Their "Blitz" version came out for iOS. "Huh," says I, "Maybe I'll finally try it out for a minute and see what all the fuss is about, then wipe it."

Yeah, right. My thumbs are locked in position, and my corneas are all cracked and flaking, but I REALLY need that new turret for my Panzer III!
"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Offline caerban

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • The Dark Side of the Moomin
    • View Profile
Re: Aw crap, I finally got hooked on World of Tanks!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 06:55:02 PM »
One of us! One of us!
"No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head."

Offline GearHead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:01:01 PM »
Well, I'm taking a break from tanks...

...and working on TDs. Just bough a Marder!

Offline caerban

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • The Dark Side of the Moomin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
I ran the British TD line up to the Tortoise. Talk about frustratingly slow but the hit pool, armour and gun are nice :)
"No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head."

Offline GearHead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 11:14:33 PM »
I'm having a ball with the lower-tier stuff, and being in a TD is more fun than I would have guessed. I'm vulnerable as heck, but man can I lay the hurt down when I'm in a good position!

I just finished a fantastic battle that really demonstrated good use of the weapons at hand. I was hanging off on the edges, with the big scrum going on in the middle of the map. I found the perfect spot and racked up 3 kills out of the big melee, when I noticed a BT break away and come racing, RACING down the hill to come flush me out. I found another spot and set up an ambush, and got off a couple of really good shots before he finally got to me. I lost, but it was a very close thing. If I'd had even a light tank acting as security, I'd have made it.

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Chosen Heretic
  • Errh ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »
One of us! One of us!
Resistance is futile! muahahahaha

Offline GearHead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 01:11:18 AM »
I swear, it's Master of Orion 2 all over again. Just one more turn. Just one more battle. Okay, one more time with the Hetzer, and then I swear I'm going to sleep. Huh, it's 12:45...might as well play until 1.

Next thing, it's 3 AM. I'm too old for this.

Anyone on the US server and wanna form a platoon?

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 04:32:04 AM »
Ah, Master of Orion 2, I loved that game, although it got a bit easy once you had really cemented yourself with one big army. In fact you could take out an entire enemy fleet with about 3 doom stars mounted with as many plasma cannons as they could take.

Offline GearHead

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 08:31:05 PM »
I never could seem to build a doom star; I always spent too much time on research and never seemed to have the industrial capacity.

Still hooked on WOT:B. I'm giving the Reich a rest and working on the Yank and Red lines. Fun, fun, fun. My favorite gun has got to be the 57mm ZiS-4 on the T-34, with good pen and hilarious ROF.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:29:22 AM by GearHead »

Offline GearHead

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 06:32:26 PM »
My Finest Hour:

I killed all 7 of the enemy team. That was a rough game, and I took a lot of damage (though my armor did deflect a number of hits.) My team did a good job of wearing down and occupying the enemy, and I was able to run around within the maelstrom and blow stuff up. Conditions were just right, and if that last Tiger had been just a bit quicker on the trigger, I might not have made it.

It really says something about Jagdpanther players that, even after all this, I got the 1st-Class instead of Master-Class badge.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 06:37:55 PM by GearHead »