Author Topic: Winged Netherlord 1 (Aug 7 '14)  (Read 13907 times)

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Winged Netherlord 1 (June 4 '14)
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2014, 04:40:23 AM »
I think that I may be about finished filling.  Won't be sure until primered, but no biggie.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 03:26:16 AM »
He is now freshly dressed in his primer best.  However, I do have some spots to clean up and fill some more then file more.  Then he will need another primer coat. Good prep is the first step in a respectable paint job.  :roll:  I considered primering with automotive grey primer, but didn't want the smell.  Instead he got my usual testors white brush on primer, but sprayed through an airbrush.  Gives a nice even coat.  Now I have to wait and watch paint dry.

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 12:13:11 AM »
Been in a bit of a funk with this guy.  I've finished filling and primer.  He is ready to be lined.  Just can't get there.  He sits staring while I paint something else.  Which just needs basing now.  Must motivate self. :shrug:

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 01:12:17 AM »
Well I for one am looking forward to seeing him painted!  :whip:
 :wink:

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 03:11:31 AM »
I had a dream last week, that I sat down to paint him and no matter what I tried, came out red.  I don't want all red.  A bit is ok but not totally.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 05:01:24 AM »
How do you paint something this large?  The self doubt has begun I fear.  I think washes will be the key, though.  If I can figure out how to use it.

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 06:02:47 AM »
Invest in an airbrush?

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 06:36:18 AM »
Invest in an airbrush?

I have three.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 06:43:09 AM »
I think if I go slowly, and do each color in sections, recording what I do, obviously, it should be ok.  Like, start with legs, then arms, body, head and then wings, painting each section fully then moving on, blending in where needed.  Does that sound like madness?  It might be.  I blame this beast.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 11:55:56 AM »
When I paint something this large, generally I do each layer in it's entirety across the whole model. Then move on to the next layer. I've tried doing sections of the model (legs then arms etc) but I never get the sections to match.

Base coat, a couple of highlight coats, then a wash to bring it together. Then I'll stop, look, decide. Usually then further highlights and wash. I do overly fiddle sometimes!

In my experience on large models, you don't need to line, as the edges of things are big enough to both hold a dark wash, but also go cast their own shadow.
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline Daemonslave

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »
I agree with Brandlin, don't try to do it in parts as it makes colour matching really difficult. Start with a base coat and do lots of subtle highlights to build up the lighter coloured areas.

Or basecoat lighter and use a number of washes to darken it to the colour you want - this approach is quite good but the highlighting tends to be very subtle and subdued which doesn't work for some monsters - I prefer it for more reptillian textures or models with very fine detail such as fine fur

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 10:35:02 PM »
I agree with Brandlin

REALLY?

Gonna have to add that to my signature...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:35:43 PM by Brandlin »
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline Big Boris

• aka Andy Foster, Heresy Miniatures Owner/Prisoner
  • Administrator
  • Dragon Slayer. At last.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heresyminiatures.com
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 11:22:04 AM »
I had a period of making things big when I started out that ended when metal quadrupled in price, and apexed in the Dragon...

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2014, 01:36:18 AM »
The netherlords are fantastic though, but a bit fun to assemble.  I even got started painting this one the other day.  Started with metal bits first.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 06:13:54 AM »
Got some paint time this evening.  His chains are finished as are his few brass bits.  Feeling like some kind of grey skin tone.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Winged Netherlord 1 (Aug 2 '14)
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 03:49:31 AM »
Been on a bit of hiatus.  Partly because I got frustrated with the failed color scheme.  I started reworking it.  Looks beter now.

Failed

Retry

Pardon the bad photos.  Tablet camera does not auto focus.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2014, 04:28:15 AM »
Just finished making it even darker.  Looks better still.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 06:53:40 AM »
 :thumbup:
Darker looks better definitely.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Winged Netherlord 1 (Aug 3 '14)
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2014, 10:41:04 PM »
Really liking the skin on this version.  I've nearly finished with the skin I think.  Light makes the highlights look too stark, but looks fine in normal light.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2014, 04:08:47 AM »
So...many...spines... :faint:

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2014, 06:18:45 AM »
Need to get a new photo, but the spines are finished.  Hooves did not turn out so need to be done again.  To me the spines look quite realistic with the colors I've used.  Hope to get a picture tomorrow.

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 12:56:17 PM »
:popcorn:

Eager to see how this ends. I too have opted for a greyish color scheme for my fiends (mostly based on this), and I'd like to see how something similar will look on a big demon.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Ben Brownlie

• Badger Loving Fluffster
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
  • Ninja Hugger of Doom
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »
So...many...spines... :faint:

Really? I have the spined version...  :blink:

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 03:35:12 PM »
Spined version has about the same, does he not?  Just bigger ones on his back instead of wings.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Winged Netherlord 1 (Aug 7 '14)
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2014, 03:40:24 AM »
Now with painted spiky bitz.