Author Topic: Rat Queens  (Read 2314 times)

Offline undead_jon

• Heretic
    • View Profile
    • My painting minis
Rat Queens
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:51:39 AM »
Just recently discovered this excellent comic from Image Comics called Rat Queens, created by Kurtis J Wiebe.

I don't think I can describe it any better than the official blurb so I'll just cut & paste below:

"Who are the Rat Queens? A pack of booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire, and they're in the business of killing all god's creatures for profit. It's also a darkly comedic sass-and-sorcery series starring Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric and Betty the Hippy Smidgen Thief. This modern spin on an old school genre is a violent monster-killing epic that is like Buffy meets Tank Girl in a Lord of the Rings world on crack!"

It reminds me a little of Order of the Stick in that it pokes fun at some D&D tropes, but does it with more blood, sex & swearing.

It's a good fun read, there are only 6 issues out at the moment (#6 came out this past Wednesday, 7th May) and the first 5 issues have already been collected into 1 volume that's very reasonably price on Amazon and Comixology at the moment.

I can't recommend this series enough, it's well written, a lot of fun and the artwork in the book is fantastic, so if it sounds like your thing go check it out.

J
~What do you see in the dark when the demons come for you?~

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
Re: Rat Queens
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 12:56:16 AM »
There's a trade out? Cool!

Offline Rick

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 09:53:05 AM »
Ok. A little bit of Threadomancy, but still. Saw this thread a little while ago, finally got around to ordering the 1st collection just before Christmas. It looks good and I thought I'd chance it at that price, so far so good.

Obviously my big mistake was ordering just before Christmas, not only because there was a risk of it being caught up in the backlog, but also because the picking staff seem to have been at the cooking sherry as a pre-crimbo celebration.

They only sent me frickin' Aquaman! Aquaman!

So, now I have to wait until they can sort out a new copy for me. In the meantime, does anybody want an Aquaman book?  :(
Rule #37: There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload".

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 11:11:44 AM »
Is it the new Aquaman? From the latest DC reboot? If so, a friend of mine says that it's a very good comic (though I haven't read it, I generally trust my friend's judgement).
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Rick

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »
Is it the new Aquaman? From the latest DC reboot? If so, a friend of mine says that it's a very good comic (though I haven't read it, I generally trust my friend's judgement).
I think so - it's the 'New 52, Aquaman Book 2, the Others'. If you want it, drop me a PM - as of 30 mins ago it is completely surplus!  :smile:
Rule #37: There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload".

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 12:09:56 PM »
Thanks for the offer, but time ago I switched to digital comics. More than you can ever dream of reading in one 10" tablet! :lol:
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.