Poll

Pick one of these 6!

1. Tough as nails sci-fi female, pistol and cigar (Think human version of Hayden c).
7 (30.4%)
2. Male companion of Andreah. Tall, long coat, dreadlocks, sci-fi gun.
1 (4.3%)
3. Male fantasy knight in full plate but a more dynamic pose.
5 (21.7%)
4. Female Fantasy Elven champion with longbow. Full champion mode and pose.
4 (17.4%)
5. Male ogre, based off the ogre armature that Kev made.
1 (4.3%)
6. Modern Zombocalypse young female survivor with compound bow and survival clothing. No cheesecake.
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: May 11, 2014, 02:28:52 PM

Author Topic: What should Kev also make?  (Read 7990 times)

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.artemisblacks.com
What should Kev also make?
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:28:52 PM »
As Kev's had a whole month away from making us any minis, he's graciously decided to get involved in my 'Finish This!' challenge for May.

The basic premise is that if Kev finishes 5 miniatures of my choosing and 1 extra one by the last day of May he gets this..

The 5 minis I have chosen are as follows...

1. Joker. Modern Trooper with Recoilless Rifle (RPG)

2. Woody. Modern Trooper, hopefuly kneeling, with shotgun and HK416.

3. 3rd Sci-Fi Powered Armour male in action pose.

4. 2nd Sci-Fi Powered Armour female with helmet on.

5. Sci-Fi Space Elf Psyker, Female (Art to come later this month)

6. The poll winner above :)

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
Re: What should Kev also make?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »
Where's the grymn option?
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline gi6ers

• Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • Clatto Verata N... Necktie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:19:03 PM »
#predictable

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »
Where's the grymn option?

Sorry, Kev's been away too long so all the options were for stuff that we believe will fly out the door. Grymn are always more of a slow burn :)

I do still have Bikes on the cards for this year though if that helps?

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 11:45:49 PM »
#predictable

Would hate to disappoint.

Besides the grymn hav had very little love of late and they are Hasslefree's widest range. We also know there are a number of sculpts that haven't come to market.
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »
How about a female not!Winter Soldier?

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 02:53:20 PM »
#predictable

Would hate to disappoint.

Besides the grymn hav had very little love of late and they are Hasslefree's widest range. We also know there are a number of sculpts that haven't come to market.

Not finished one as far as I'm aware. The new Walker variant is still stuck in 'Kev did too good a job' mode but we're hoping to get that out next month finally.

Basically it's more than likely that until we get some vehicles sorted we won't make any more foot soldiers. The extended market is for using them as a force in 40k or other similar games and for that they require vehicles, I know peopel can use other companies vehicles but that's nto a good selling point (Nor can we find vehicles we like to retail with them, most resin vehicle companies don't deal with trade).

If anyone has up to date GW 40k knowledge and is interested in working with me to put together an IG army list equivalent (or even a SM one I guess) or a force for another game the Grymn are suitable for then feel free to PM me :)

Offline Modhail

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 04:07:24 PM »
Why is there no option for "all of them"?  :angel:

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 12:28:01 AM »
I voted for the Knight. I reckon there needs to be a fantasy one in amongst all that other modern and sci-fi stuff.

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 12:52:14 AM »
Hard to choose between the knight and the zombie bow woman but she's bound to get loads of votes anyway (whoever she is) so the knight got my vote.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:57:58 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline voltan

• Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
    • http://www.voltansshed.com
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 10:57:46 AM »

If anyone has up to date GW 40k knowledge and is interested in working with me to put together an IG army list equivalent (or even a SM one I guess)

you've got the entertaining problem that the grymn can sort of be both, but you can't fit either army completely.
NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU, THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.

Proffessor, Lava, Hot!

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 09:56:28 PM »

If anyone has up to date GW 40k knowledge and is interested in working with me to put together an IG army list equivalent (or even a SM one I guess)

you've got the entertaining problem that the grymn can sort of be both, but you can't fit either army completely.

Hence needing stuff to lean them one way or the other. Or even enough new stuff that they could firt either. I don't really wanna relearn 40k though, so though I'd ask just in case :)

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »
The trouble with 40k is the 'line of sight' rule. Grymn are shorter than their human counterparts and people get uppity about the advantages of the Grymn being easier to hide.

I, personally, would treat Grymn as Imperial Guard stormtroopers with the power armoured ones being allied marines.
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 12:08:42 AM »
So what additional minis would make Grymn a better fit for 40K Imperial Guard? Or Space Marines, for that matter?

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 06:48:32 AM »
The trouble with 40k is the 'line of sight' rule. Grymn are shorter than their human counterparts and people get uppity about the advantages of the Grymn being easier to hide.

I, personally, would treat Grymn as Imperial Guard stormtroopers with the power armoured ones being allied marines.

Going by that argument though they are also harder to shoot with as they can't see over a short wall  :lmao

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 10:29:50 AM »

Going by that argument though they are also harder to shoot with as they can't see over a short wall  :lmao

I heartily agree... but the perceived advantages of gaining extra cover has caused many a hissy fit (I have even been called out for it on certain GW-centric forums... and I don't even game :D!).
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 10:39:34 AM »
So what additional minis would make Grymn a better fit for 40K Imperial Guard? Or Space Marines, for that matter?

Certain heavy/special weapons, close combat troops with pistol/sword combo, Jump packs for the powered armour, vehicles (an APC/IFV for starters).

The standard Grymn have carapace armour so could be either IG Stormtroopers or Space Marine Scouts. Apart from a few heavy/special weapons and the close combat combo, they are good to go.

The powered armour would be Space Marines but there would need to be more heavy/special weapons for them to make them viable.

For vehicles, a basic Rhino/Chimera is a must with a landspeeder transport clone for the scouts... if you are feeling saucy a Taurox replacement (although it is just a glorified Chimera). Then tanks and bikes.

If you are clever, you could get away with the same tank body and just use different top plates for the Rhino/Chimera... even going as far as making top plates that would cover the various tank roles for both IG and SMs.

... I am getting boring now :D

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »

I heartily agree... but the perceived advantages of gaining extra cover has caused many a hissy fit (I have even been called out for it on certain GW-centric forums... and I don't even game :D!).
Some people are just a bit hard out with their toys.  :roll: Probably grumpy that you have miniatures that aren't GW

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 11:02:19 PM »
Voting is done, thanks people. Results announced tomorrow!

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 03:08:07 AM »

And yet they don't have any problem with big ogrish models being harder to hide..........
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 04:09:52 AM »
Wasn't on the list but I would like to see Succubus Libby finished.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline Chris_M

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 08:24:49 PM »

Hmm, how do they cope with the official models that are kneeling or even lying down? :silly

My view, know what the height should be, and if it's borderline, hold your tape measure up behind the figure to that height.

For Grymn -> Guard (my personal choice, rather that Marines), I'd say the biggest gap is Commissars - maybe a long coat and officers cap version of Admiral Almos or Colonel Hogan.
Most of the support weapons could come from the existing ranges (there's snipers, a flame thrower and a grenade launcher already), but maybe a mortar team, and possibly a rocket launcher - maybe a Panzerfaust or an RPG?
What about combat engineers, including someone with a large explosive charge?
Maybe a colour party, or at least someone that could potentially be converted to hold a standard?

Although considering the Chapterhouse situation of the last couple of years, it might be better to think of things that include items which, if the buyer wanted to use them for something like 40k, they would fit in, rather than deliberately aiming the range at slots in various army lists.  :shrug:

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 09:59:32 PM »
Hmm, how do they cope with the official models that are kneeling or even lying down? :silly

Disturbingly they don't freak out over those because, somehow, the fact that they're normal sized (the same ize as all the other guys in that unit/army) makes perfect sense for them. It's almost as if they believe there should be an age restriction and/or height restriction on 40k. "You must be over five feet tall to shoot this boltgun".

They don't freak out over space hobbits (sorry, I mean ratling snipers) either. Just sqauts, grymn, or any other kind of space dwarfs or gnomes.

Space gnomes.... Now that would certainly be a different kind of army.

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 10:49:20 PM »
Back in the days of the original 40K release, I painted a bunch of space dwarfs as intergalactic hippies (Hawkwind t-shirts, tie-dye trousers etc.). I never played the game, but I did show the figures to the staff at my local GW store.

They told me  I wasn't taking it seriously enough...
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Hellboy - "Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
... and putting Dwarfs on Harleys and dressing them in biker gear WAS taking it seriously?!  Mental :D