Author Topic: Deunan and Briareos  (Read 6420 times)

Offline Shadowseer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Deunan and Briareos
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »
I would love to see updated versions of this dynamic duo from Appleseed. They would also fit quite well in between the modern range and the scifi-troopers and even augment them both. Especially after Tomoko and Isseki were so well done. It would be even more interesting to see how Deunan and Bri would be approached today, maybe even with a little twist to them, a later version perhaps with Deunan wearing her eyepatch?

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Deunan and Briareos
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:03:20 PM »
I don't think that this is the first time these two have come up.  I don't really know the series but the two character designs are a cool idea.  The trick would be with B, making him similar enough but different enough to avoid IP problems.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »
 :thumbup:  we ask Kev a bought this reasonably frequently,  if we keep pestering long enough , heel either do them or tell us NO loud enough well know not to ask again
a happy dauber

Offline Tasker

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • How far to Hitchin? It's Hitchin i'm missing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 05:19:12 PM »
These 2 and the Knight Sabers are some of the figures I want the most.  :-(   ( I know he's aleady done the Knight Sabers in the distant past but they were in 25mm )
Tasker the Mighty,
He roams through the countryside,
He never needs a place to hide...

Offline Shadowseer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »
I don't think that this is the first time these two have come up.  I don't really know the series but the two character designs are a cool idea.  The trick would be with B, making him similar enough but different enough to avoid IP problems.

I did search through the suggestions here on the site, but coudn't find a thread about them, yet. I would wonder, too, if this is the first time Kev is asked to redo them. How to work Bri without being Bri is of course a challenge. Looking at some of the model range of Infinity, though, there has to be a way.

I just think the time would be perfect for the pair to show up again as they would blend easily into the modern troopers (at least Deunan would) and would add the element of cybernetics for those who want it. Also there are many possible incarnations Kev could approach: lightly armoured, heavily armoured, swimsuit/muscleshirt etc.

And finally I feel that Kev would simply be the sculptor to do them both justice, while at the same time giving them a personal touch.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 10:41:53 PM »
The older threads with these suggestions have likely been deleted due to time inactive and the need to keep space uncluttered.

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline Shadowseer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
The older threads with these suggestions have likely been deleted due to time inactive and the need to keep space uncluttered.

The better then I started this new one!  :wink:

Of course I'm not talking about the rendered series, but the manga and the original artwork. Although the series is quite good, I prefer the look of Shirow's original art much more than those computer-born characters. They just don't transport the emotions too well.
Same goes for the ghost in the shell movies. Very good animation, very good in catching the story and even more the mecha- and cyber-designs, but simply lacking when it comes to the characters per se. The series S.A.C. 1 & 2 is another story alltogether.

Offline Shadowseer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 06:25:09 PM »
Second try: (could not finish my post yesterday as my whole internet session was unexpectedly aborted...)

So to keep this alive and to add some new ideas to the topic, I want to know what you think which version of Deunan and Briareos should Kev make? There are several different options to choose from, so tell us your favorite (lightly armoured, heavily armoured [like the Orc-Suit], Biker-Bri, etc.)

Personally I'd favor Deunan in her light armour plate with her eyepatch and either an assault rifle or her magazin-fed handgun or with her combat blade in a dynamic pose.

Bri I'd like to see with some additional armour, but not over the top, and armed with some big gun, let it be an autocannon or anti-cyborg sniper rifle.

What do you guys think?

Offline Modhail

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 09:15:36 AM »
Yes!
I'd like Deunan and Briareos in swat gear, but would also like them simply in fatigues. In the latter way, they would be more flexible, you can paint those up in camo gear, as if they were still in the Badlands, in police blue, or in ESWAT greys and they'd still fit in.

Offline Shadowseer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 11:03:56 PM »
Of course a more versatile approach to the duo would make them a valid choice even for those few who do not know them, but are in modern/sci fi ranges.

What could possibly be alterations to Bri without taking too much of his character away? What do you think about adding two smaller "ears" below the long ones? Maybe an armoured "nose" sensor, with the sensor half covered? What would you think about an alternate, even human head for Bri?

You see, there are many possible ways one could think of to make this work. And you know you would love Kev to make them!

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 01:09:14 AM »
What could possibly be alterations to Bri without taking too much of his character away?

I'm sure that you are already aware of this but, if kev is going to make figure A based on character B and does not own said character, then figure A has to be different enough from character B to avoid infringing on Intellectual Property copyright laws.  How much this would take away from character B's original 'character' is hard to say.

Did that make any sense?

Offline Shadowseer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
The problem of possible copyright infringement is exactly why I'm asking about alterations. You stated it already pretty clear in your first post above.

You can't deny that Kev has made some beautifully minis which have a touch of recognition to them, do you? So there are possible and more important legal ways of getting inspired when running a new project (see the current news letter, if you know what I mean).

According to these lines I thought about some new names for this cyber enhanced duo: Daria/Doria (personally I'd prefer Doric, but since it is the name of one of the side characters this would probably not do) and Brian, maybe Brionidas (to have that greek sounding about the name).

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 05:40:14 PM »
Deunan could be any non-specific sci-fi character.

Briareos is a completely different kettle of fish. He's Briareos... there isn't another character like him. In order to make him different enough to be a 'not Briareos', I think he would turn out just that... not at all like Briareos.

I can see why you'd want these cool characters but I have to ask the question... why would anyone want Kev to copy stuff when he can come up with better ideas if he is allowed to?

There is so much derivative stuff in the HF catalogue now, that it is almost at a point where I am starting to think that his imagination is running dry.

It's a shame really :(
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 01:57:17 AM »
Shadowseer, I hope I did not offend you.  It was not my intention at all.  I may not have worded my post well.

I do have to agree with Inso about there already being enough minis derived from other characters.  Bring on more original ladies built like Tilda! :lol:

Offline Shadowseer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 12:48:19 PM »
... why would anyone want Kev to copy stuff when he can come up with better ideas if he is allowed to?

There is so much derivative stuff in the HF catalogue now, that it is almost at a point where I am starting to think that his imagination is running dry.

It's a shame really :(

Actually I think this is a niche Kev found for making the company run. Do not underestimate the factor of recognition with already liked characters made into beautiful minis. Although I do like Kev's generic minis as well, I do not think they sell as well as the ones that derive from certain, quite well known characters (except maybe the naked ones  8) ).

The consequence from a financial point of view would be Kev would have to make several character derived minis to make up for a generic mini. Just as you stated yourself, the current HF range includes many derived minis, which reflects my guess quite appropriately.

Therefore in order to have Kev make some generic and original goodness, we should rejoice about every character derived mini as well! (And of course bombing him with suggestions is not only giving an idea in which direction a possible future project could go, but it also shows there is some market for a mini that has been suggested beforehand).

Shadowseer, I hope I did not offend you.  It was not my intention at all.  I may not have worded my post well.

I do have to agree with Inso about there already being enough minis derived from other characters.  Bring on more original ladies built like Tilda! :lol:

No offence taken!  :wink: Was my last post such a harsh reply then? Then actually I am sorry.

About Tilda: You know she is a derived character, do you?  :P

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 02:17:47 PM »
Yes, I know Tilda is inspired by another character.  I would still like to see more female minis with her body type.  Particularly more fantasy females.

Offline Bishop Odo

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Matters of Scale
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »

yea, I'm all for it.