Author Topic: UnDoD 2013 rules - Pick on Someone Your own Size  (Read 3605 times)

Offline ink the troll

• Dark Underlord
  • short, fat & ugly
    • View Profile
UnDoD 2013 rules - Pick on Someone Your own Size
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »
The Unofficial Diorama of Doom 2013 rules - Pick on Someone Your own Size

The Diorama of Doom lets you display your skills and share your ideas in the form of a friendly competition that emphasises on telling a little story using the the miniatures sold by the FoD Companies.
As said before, it's a friendly competition - there will be no shiny prizes (well, besides bragging rights when you win), no extended media coverage and no voting parties.
We've got something better than that though-  a treasure trove of creativity unlocked.

There are four categories this time:

1.  Single miniature - only 1 FoD company’s miniatures.
2.  Duel - 2 miniatures, any combination of FoD company's miniatures (even if the minis both are from the same company).
3.  Diorama -  more than 2 miniatures, any combination of FoD company's miniatures (even if the minis all are from the same company).
4.  Diorama -  all 4 of the FoD companies miniatures.

The FoD companies are:

1.   Heresy (including Spyglass and Eolith).
2.   Hasslefree.
3.   Black Scorpion.
4.   Fenris.

A miniature is defined as a figure or monster (can be multi part) that is sold by one of the FoD companies. It does NOT include accessories, bases, weapons or anything else.
You may use accessories, scenery and items from other companies but any miniatures MUST come from one of the FoD companies. That means no miniatures from non-FoD companies.

Whether the setting's firmly rooted in the realms of fantasy, you prefer to depict a gritty post apoc future or sci fi is more to your taste- the choice is up to you, any genre is fine.

There are no size restrictions for the bases- if you want to build a kitchen table sized diorama displaying the hidden beauties of  Rustwood Fortress or somehow manage to pile 8 miniatures onto a 25mm base then do that- anything goes. Just remember that bigger doesn't always mean better!

.:edit:. Figured someone might ask: you may submit one entry for each category, if you absolutely want to do that and have enough time.

It's perfectly fine to buy, clean, assemble and prime the miniatures now. However all modifications and conversions will have to wait until the competition 'officially' starts on the 24th September 2013. The competition will run until 24th Dec 2013 12 o'clock/ high noon/ midday/ whatever else you want to call it GMT.

A separate topic for the start pics will be created on the 24th September. That's the place to post the mandatory pic of the minis that you'll be using. Please include some sort of time reference in that pic (e.g. a newspaper showing the date).

While the competition is running, feel free to post wip pics in the 'WIPs of Doom'. This of course is obligatory but it's always nice to watch things take shape and progress!

Once the competition is over, a separate voting thread will be set up for each category.
After four weeks, the polls close and we'll have a final vote to determine the overall winner.

And now once more the really important bit- the theme:

Pick on Someone Your own Size

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:04:41 PM by ink the troll »
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
Re: UnDoD 2013 rules - Pick on Someone Your own Size
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 01:11:24 PM »
I have been planning my uDoD2013 submission, and I have a question about the rules.

They state "There are no size restrictions for the bases- if you want to build a kitchen table sized diorama displaying the hidden beauties of  Rustwood Fortress or somehow manage to pile 8 miniatures onto a 25mm base then do that- anything goes. Just remember that bigger doesn't always mean better!"

Am I allowed to make a single entry that is on two bases? They do not need to be physically connected, but they do tell two different parts of the same story. I would want this to be judged as a single entry!

"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »
Stick both bases on a single piece of clear plastic... voila! One base.

(Just a thought ;) ).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:51:16 PM by Inso »
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »
Stick both bases on a single piece of clear plastic... voila! One base.

(Just a thought ;) ).

They aren't likely to be placed on the same level - and may not even both be horizontal.

I dont expect it to be a problem, but I thought it better just to check before i put in any effort...
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline ink the troll

• Dark Underlord
  • short, fat & ugly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 05:10:49 PM »
I have been planning my uDoD2013 submission, and I have a question about the rules.

They state "There are no size restrictions for the bases- if you want to build a kitchen table sized diorama displaying the hidden beauties of  Rustwood Fortress or somehow manage to pile 8 miniatures onto a 25mm base then do that- anything goes. Just remember that bigger doesn't always mean better!"

Am I allowed to make a single entry that is on two bases? They do not need to be physically connected, but they do tell two different parts of the same story. I would want this to be judged as a single entry!
I'd say if you manage to connect them somehow, even if it's just a visual connection, then yes. E.g. as Inso says, use a clear plastic base.
Or maybe photograph them against the same background - e.g. put them on black boxes, drape black cloth over something in the background and use a piece of cardboard with comic panels drawn onto it and cut out, into which the minis would fit and attach that to the black cloth so that on a picture it would look like a page out of a comic book. (Not sure that I explained that well.)
Or insert a mirror/ piece of sturdy plastic card as separator, attach a sign reading something like 'meanwhile on the other side of the galaxy' to it, that way on one side you could place the horizontal one and on the other the vertical part of your diorama without worrying about levels etc.
Or insist that 'base' in this particular case has to be treated as a somewhat allegorical thingy and not as solid object, as they're both based in the same story... In other words- have fun and don't worry too much.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »
ok.

I wasn't asking HOW to do it. I was aksing if submitting two separate bases was eligible to be considered as a single diorama.

I am going to interpret the generally positive response as a YES.

Now the only problem I have is that having gathered all my materials and bases I find that the larger base is too big for my display cabinet !!! grrr

Offline Brummie

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 09:25:47 PM »
Sounds good I may have bash this year. No idea what though  :crazy: