Poll

Which plastics would you/your pals be excited about and want to buy? (5 votes)

Skeletons
Ghouls
Zombies (unarmed)
Dark Brethren Cultists
Gribblies - giant slugs, hell mites, giant spiders
The Tunnel Dweller/Giant Maggoty Maw Thing
Fallen One (needs a lot of frames, would cost about twice as much as The Tunnel Dweller to make)
Dungeon Tiles - self-assembly, use to build custom dungeons
Dungeon Doors
SciFi Troopers
Gang types
Adventurer Party
Minotaur
Deathball Ogre(s)
Goblins (hand weapons + shields)
Goblins (archers)
Kobolds (think puny dog-chicken humanoids)
Snakemen
Orcs (*NOT* GW style)

Author Topic: Plastics - your input wanted!  (Read 17685 times)

Offline Big Boris

• aka Andy Foster, Heresy Miniatures Owner/Prisoner
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • Dragon Slayer. At last.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heresyminiatures.com
Plastics - your input wanted!
« on: October 25, 2013, 01:23:54 PM »
If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook you'll know I recently had a chat with a chap about making plastics. This chat left me absolutely buzzing with ideas and excitement, because the prices we were talking about were much more achievable than I had heard, and the turnaround time was around 4 months instead of 14 months, from finished master to production castings of sprues.

Now the downside is that the frame size is quite small - you could fit say three trooper bodies on there along with say 16 arm and head options, or you could get maybe 8 one-piece single figures on there. Of immediate interest to me was the idea of getting the Tunnel Dweller in plastic - it would take two frames to do it and this would mean I'd need to raise around 18k on Kickstarter - but the end figure would be awesome, and instead of costing 35+ in metal it could be sold for a much more reasonable price, say 15 - 20 - (possibly less but it would mean I'd have to shift 2,000 of them to raise the cash!) (Could be offset by having a suitably monstrous alternate maggoty maw to use in place of the demon torso, meaning you could assemble as Tunnel Dweller or Giant Maggoty Thing, two kits in one. Or I could bung a few nasty creepy crawlies in there to spice up the base. Or indeed, a custom base.)

My original thing was to have the dungeon tiles in plastic but it would need a bigger custom frame size because you couldn't fit enough tiles on the small frame to make it worthwhile in terms of cost per tile - I'll still be looking into it but a better short term goal is to do something like Dark Brethren Cultists, where the weight in metal makes the current pack a bit expensive to build a big horde with, or Troopers etc. The thing I would really love to get cracking with is skeletons. Childhood dream.

Here is the list of things I want to do in plastic. I want your votes on which would be best. Don't give me 'oh, loads of people are doing those already' as an excuse not to do something because my stuff will look different to the stuff that's already out there - my skeletons won't look like those of Mantic or GW, etc. (BTW I am a firm believer that people who like Undead are never truly content with the ones they have, we always want more if they look nice.)

You can choose up to 5 things that you or your friends would want to buy. Ask your friends to vote, in fact, this poll is open to guest voters!

(Assume that this will not interfere with Dragon production. Because I have to also make new things or the Dragons will never be produced.)

Offline Thorne

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Plastics - your input wanted!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 01:38:15 PM »
No one and I mean nobody at all makes good detailed plastic cultist pseudo evil religious types. The emphasis here is on the good.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »
Those unfamiliar with The Tunnel Dweller:

An improved version of this.

Offline Apologist

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 02:13:03 PM »
My votes were for: ghouls, zombies, sci-fi troopers, gang types and cultists. Assuming common head/arm attachement etc. all of them could be mixed up, so lots of potential for zombie troopers/civilians, possessed cultists and the like. :)

While I like the tunnel dweller, I can't imagine buying more than one.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »
Yeah, it's the main drawback with it, need a lot more backers to make it than you do for multiple-purchase stuff. 1 Large sprue of dungeon tiles for instance, with 20 different tiles on it, could be piled to the sky for just one customer...

Gangs making a surprising showing here!

Offline Bungle

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 02:23:16 PM »
new gangs....  :wink: the existing one in plastic might not sell as well as a brand new gang due to the number already sold.

do some tasters in metal first
Bungle         Steders loves goats                Ben Loves badgers

Offline DynamicEcho

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »
I would really like to see the cultists in plastic, and I'm always after nice new skeletons! :)

Offline Curious Plankton

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 03:19:23 PM »
I'd definitely go a tunnel dweller as it's one of the few large heresy models that I don't own.

Offline Steve Wingate

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 05:15:36 PM »
I think without doubt you'd be on to a winner with some Heresy plastic Skeletons.  :D

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »
Personally, I think it probably makes sense to avoid the ranges that Mantic already produce. I think dungeon sets would be a real winner. While I REALLY like the idea of tthe advenuring party, unless there were a lot of customisable options, then it's probably a one purchase per punter deal.
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Hellboy - "Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 07:54:07 PM »
Yes, it's more on that list because I'm excited about making that set of figures and it would be part of any boxed game I do.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 08:09:32 PM »
Gribblies, stuff to fill out those low level dungeons, definitely the tunnel dweller too. Even though I now have my metal one I'd still be after a revised plastic one.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 08:12:31 PM »
(I did a very rough sketch out earlier on today and it definitely would be a more horrific miniature. But only I could make sense of the sketch, I fear.)

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 09:09:23 AM »
I forgot to add Deathball Ogres to the list. Have done so. You can change your votes if you like, so no harm done...!

Offline Carcharoth

• Twilight Moderator
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Twilight Website
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »
I think it should be low level creatures that you could fill a dungeon with - gribblies, skeletons and cultists would all fit the bill nicely. I would also vote for your little goblins.
Other than that I like the idea of dungeon tiles and doors (although I'm not sure if plastic dungeon tiles give much benefit over war hammer quest style tiles).

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 09:59:10 AM »
Oh yeah goblins definitely! 1 archer 1 sword 1 spear 1 axe.
That would make my goblin army more of a dancing task. So glad I got the shaman from goblinaid you made.
As an aside, will you be selling that on your site after goblin aid is over?

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »
sci fi troopers, gang types, and adventures for me.
a happy dauber

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 11:16:34 AM »
Crap! Forgot about the goblins...knew there was something else! Yeah, filling a dungeon was my primary plan, but I thought I'd run this poll to judge the mood. Seems like it *might* be popular enough that I could do a sprue of each type, ie one for Skels, one for zombies, one for ghouls (might be better to run with a mixed Undead one though, then expand down the line if the funds are coming in, not sure. I guess for a board game that seems like a good thing, but for people who want to collect the figures to use in an army or what have you, they will prefer the individual sprues as opposed to mixed sprues because of the lack of variety of poses.)

BTW, The Fallen One costs more because it would need two extra frames for the wings - but I could sell the wings separately, so it would in fact count as an extra sellable product. If I ran the Tunnel Dweller, one of the stretch goals would be a set of Fly-style wings for it.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 11:25:28 AM »
Oh yeah goblins definitely! 1 archer 1 sword 1 spear 1 axe.
That would make my goblin army more of a dancing task. So glad I got the shaman from goblinaid you made.
As an aside, will you be selling that on your site after goblin aid is over?

If Goblinaid is ever over, yes! I think they were going to give some funds to the old lady that got robbed?

Offline Brummie

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 11:53:46 AM »
Trouble with the tunnel dweller is will it sell after the kickstarter? Willl those who want one just go in for the ks?

It needs to be something unique, in demand but not commonly available. Perhaps some Alien humanoid infantry but multi part so 2 arm options say rifles or pistol/ccw loadouts. Then a few different style heads. You could then perhaps do metal equipment/head add ons kits later and sell them in the store. Especially with Deadzone coming out from mantic.

Offline notsoninja

• Worthless Imp
    • View Profile
    • Just another old school gaming blog
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 01:03:59 PM »
Orcs (*NOT* GW style)  Do you mean...pig faced orcs? I hope so!

So hard to whittle it down to five choices.  I have mixed feelings about dungeon tiles, it's a great idea but I'm not sure I'd cart them around to games.

Cheers,

Bruce
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:14:41 PM by notsoninja »

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 11:42:12 AM »
    Some things I should point out:
    • Skeletons: I have to make a few of these anyway, to make the Brethren and every other humanoid figure from, so the likelihood is that these will get done regardless. And from the initial 'naked' skeletons, I intend to make several variants, from semi-clothed, through armoured, to Deathball skeletons and I fancy some of those 'Burning Dead' from Diablo, too...
    • Zombies: See skeletons. Although there are less easy routes to go down, there will at least be Deathball figures to be made. The Zombies will be made using Skeleton mannequins.
    • Snakemen - there's a whole continent in Netherhells filled with scorching deserts and ancient temples to the Dark Gods, filled with the most fabulous of jewels - and the most vicious of creatures. Snakemen covers what you would call Lizardmen too, the number of legs being seen as something of a mark of status. Two legs bad, no legs good. Ruled by their priests and worshippers of Medusa, mother of the Snakemen race.
    • Orcs - think barbarians with tusks and ugly as all hell, not gorillas with outsized comedy bonces.
    • Kobolds - the primary Enemy model for Netherhells. Weak and cowardly individuals that prey on the isolated villages of the Mortal realm whose true danger comes from their attacks en masse. Will be based on a design that won a design contest I ran a million years ago.
    • 'I already own it in metal' - yes, but the plastics will be different figures. Even the Tunnel Dweller will undergo a re-boot, and the Fallen One will look very different to Azaroth in terms of pose and head and all sorts of other ways
    • 'People only need one' - yes, but if enough people only need one, it can be made. If I was in this for the money, I'd have given up long, long ago. I'm in it for the cool toys, the massive debts and the occasional ego-boosting message of support.

Feel free to ask for any more info...

Offline Brummie

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »
Good Snakemen or even Tigermen would be good.

Rakshasa's are highly sort after with there reveresed hands as well.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »
Thing about tigermen is it's very hard not to think this:

Offline weareblind

• Heavy Metal or no Metal at all