Author Topic: Desolation of Smaug Trailer out  (Read 2524 times)

Offline parthvader

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Battles
Desolation of Smaug Trailer out
« on: June 12, 2013, 11:18:57 AM »
Trailer for the new Desolation of Smaug movie was released today
Link

Find it strange that Legolas has blue eyes in this trailer, I seem to remember him having brown eyes in the LOTR films...

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
Re: Desolation of Smaug Trailer out
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:55:07 AM »
Not overly impressed to be honest. I'll still watch it, and enjoy it as well I guess. Thanks for the link though

Offline Ben Brownlie

• Badger Loving Fluffster
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
  • Ninja Hugger of Doom
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »
released today
It was doing the rounds on FB yesterday. I quite like it. For some reason there has been a lot of bad reaction on these films, but they're fun so I do not see the probelm

Offline parthvader

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Battles
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »
For some reason there has been a lot of bad reaction on these films

Most hard-core Tolkien fans are not particularly fond of the "creative changes" that Peter Jackson makes to the original stories. The appearance of Legolas in the Hobbit has given rise to some murmurings, but I expect that it is the invention of the female elf warrior Tauriel, who appears to actually be capable of drawing a bow while leaping in the air, that is causing the most consternation.

Female elves simply do not run around swinging swords and shooting arrows in Tolkien.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:57:06 PM »
I thought women didn't exist in middle earth?
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline Cultist of Sooty

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 10:48:10 PM »
I thought women didn't exist in middle earth?
They're in the appendices (which, IIRC, are somewhere just up and to the left of Rivendell).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:49:09 PM by Cultist of Sooty »

Offline GearHead

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 10:49:38 PM »
I'm not a hardcore Tolkien fan, and I still don't like what Jackson's done with the movies. It's all too much over-the-top cartoony action and really dumb dialogue which, for me at any rate, makes it unwatchable. The man may be a Kiwi, but he's pure Hollywood: that "Barrel Battle" is a prime example, and looked especially stupid. And of course all the 300-style jump attacks...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:50:32 PM by GearHead »
"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Offline parthvader

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Battles
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 12:16:22 PM »
I'm not a hardcore Tolkien fan, and I still don't like what Jackson's done with the movies. It's all too much over-the-top cartoony action and really dumb dialogue which, for me at any rate, makes it unwatchable. The man may be a Kiwi, but he's pure Hollywood: that "Barrel Battle" is a prime example, and looked especially stupid. And of course all the 300-style jump attacks...

Jump attacks I could probably live with, but drawing a bow while executing that kind of leap? That I really find a little too far over the top. I know it's supposed to be a fantasy world, but is there really a need to insert such things to make the movie work?

And yes, the "Barrel Battle" does look silly.