Author Topic: Utter Chaos  (Read 22422 times)

Offline BecauseWeIsMonsters

• Heretic
    • View Profile
Utter Chaos
« on: May 20, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »
I thought I would make a thread to put all my various works in progress for my chaos army, in the hope it would give me an impetus to get on with it. Here is a group shot of everything I have collected so far:

I am trying to steer clear of the overly musclebound type characters, hence the use of chaos sorcerer models for my chaos knights etc.

On the left, Lady Taxxis is in charge of the beasts, with some Heresy prodders to give them a nudge in the right direction.
Behind, Lord Oculac is in charge of the cyclopses (he steals one an eye from each minion). In the middle, Lord Schruuf is in charge of the hellounds and the Fenryll chaos warriors. Behind, Lord and Lady Evil are going to command the main infantry force, which I havent bought yet. To the right, we have some standard chaos warriors led by a Barbarian Lord, with Fenris beastmen skirmishing in front. On the right, we have the flying knights and some flying Demons.

First priority is to paint something. Then I think i might make a whole squad of drummers. Also I am wondering what to use for my bog standard infantry. I dont want them to look like hulking barbarians, just normal kind of baddies. Maye some Chaos Imperium pikemen... If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

In 2014
Miniatures completed: 18
Miniatures accidentally destroyed: 8
Miniatures needlessly rebased: 6

Offline ink the troll

• Dark Underlord
  • short, fat & ugly
    • View Profile
Re: Utter Chaos
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 07:20:49 PM »
Lord Oculac is in charge of the cyclopses (he steals one an eye from each minion)
  :lol: like that idea!

.:edit:.
Forgot to actually suggest something: Celtos Gaels - http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Celtos/The%20Gaels.html for standard infantry.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:49:02 PM by ink the troll »
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 08:06:57 PM »
Very cool. I like it all. What's the pink and yellow guy in the middle

Offline ink the troll

• Dark Underlord
  • short, fat & ugly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:35:49 PM »
An old Hobby Products/ DSA demon thingy, available from Ral Partha: http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/17044-demon-shruuf-p-1040.html
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 11:04:35 PM »
Well spotted. Here he is up close. It is one of my favourite miniatures, although I made a bit of a hash of painting him.

Thanks for the comments Ink the troll and Beefcake.  I had a look at the gael miniatures. There are some nice miniatures there especially some of the character models, although some of the weapons are perhaps a bit large.
In 2014

Offline ink the troll

• Dark Underlord
  • short, fat & ugly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:11:50 AM »
One of those minis I still haven't bought...

Back to the infantry:

If you want something more empire-ish or brettonian for your rank and file, I guess the Perry plastics would be worth a look (and at £18.00 for 40 placcy minis not bad):
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=2490
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=2471

or the Fireforge Foot Sergeants (~£30 for 48 minis)
http://www.fireforge-games.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=51&category_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=95

There's a size comparison pic on Brückenkopf  (http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/DV_FootSergeantsScale2.jpg), left to right Warhammer, Fireforge, Perrys.

Some of those + some chaos bits = big horde of chaotic infantry.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 09:00:30 AM »
If you want some infantry that are a bit more monster like, Bloodmoon minis reopened recently and although quite expensive, the bog raiders (fimir) would look quite cool as a unit.
I started to use wargames factory Vikings for my chaos army but I didn't really like them.
Privateer press has some cool swordsmen from the Skorne. In fact a lot of the Skorne could look quite cool. Again kind of expensive.

Offline geronimo

• Administrator
  • Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Fenris Games
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 11:27:36 AM »
See, this is how to do a chaos army. Mix and match from as many ranges as possible. Lovely selection 8)
Too many ideas....way too little time.
new website
Fenris on facebook

Offline Steve Wingate

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »
 :metoo:

The Demon Shruuf is just crazy-bonkers, and I want one!  :nuts:

Your army's got a real eclectic mix which really has an old school Chaos feel about it, and most of all - character.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 06:20:07 AM »
Also... Who makes the hydra? I've been after a nice hydra model for a while and that one looks good. The coolest hydra I've seen is the confrontation one but that's a bit out of my price bracket.

Offline ink the troll

• Dark Underlord
  • short, fat & ugly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 08:41:23 AM »
No idea this time, though it reminds me of the one available from Alternative Armies (mainly because it looks a bit as if it had ears).
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 09:11:24 AM »
Just looked at that and I think you're right. Ink strikes again!
Not a fan of the ears.

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 09:03:12 PM »
:-o you are right I never knew that. the guy who sold it on ebay said he thought it was an old Harlequin minitures, but no idea it was still in production. I am relieved that I didnt pay him over RRP for it. Its a nice miniature but the body is a bit small considering the size of the heads.

Thanks everyone for fine suggestions. I have been admiring the fireforge infantry for a while. Might get them one day but not sure I would do them as chaos. My plan was to get some bog standard infantry, but I succumbed to temptation and bought some "bog raiders". Close enough. They got one eye so they can be minions of Lord Oculac. He likes to conduct a bog raid from time to time.

Regarding the aforementioned bog standard troops, i am still thinking something in the style of the Ral Partha chaos imperium pikemen, or some Lord of the rings easterlings. would be good if there were some genuine multi-part people in a similar style.

Once i find where i put my one decent paint brush, I will make a start on painting some chaos warriors. It has been missing for over a week now :-(
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:09:38 PM by BecauseWeIsMonsters »
In 2014

Offline gi6ers

• Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • Clatto Verata N... Necktie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »
although I made a bit of a hash of painting him.

Don't think you did, just needs some more contrast, sepia wash on the fur, red wash on the pink bits. Touch of darklining on the hors/claws and it's there IMO.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 03:03:19 AM »
Also, not entirely chaotic looking, have you thought of using westwind dwarf wars nordvolk. Cheap and good looking Viking types.

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 07:48:55 PM »
although I made a bit of a hash of painting him.

Don't think you did, just needs some more contrast, sepia wash on the fur, red wash on the pink bits. Touch of darklining on the hors/claws and it's there IMO.

I had a go at doing what you suggested. Tried to be a bit more bold with the contrast. Also I had another go at his eyes. Here he is with his chaos buddies. This is all i have got painted up so far. Next up for painting is probably a bunch of cultists.

In 2014

Offline DRAGON

• LORD OF WHITE METAL MOUNTAIN
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 09:24:53 AM »
They look really good on the terrain  :applause:
Heaven doesn't want me. Hell is afraid i will take over !
OFFICIAL WINNER UDOD 2012
Minis painted this year (2013) : Too few !
Heresy Dragon - paint in progress - coming soon... seriously !

http://foddragon.mybrute.com

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »
Who could have imagined GW miniatures hanging around in terrain made of skullz?  :wry:
It does look very cool.

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 02:44:01 AM »
Painting up the barbarian warlord from Heresy the formerly Steve Buddle range to be a leader for the chaos warriors. Like this mini, he looks like a no nonsense killing machine without a lot of ludicrous "detail". All the equipment around his belt makes some kind of sense and is nicely sculpted. Taking a bit of time over it so i had to stop halfway through and paint a random monster for light relief. Those old grim raper castings minis look like garbage when they come out of the package but they paint up quite reasonable. faces and bases, thats the thing.

In 2014

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 03:20:11 AM »
Marvelous minions of maniacal mayhem and maliciousness.

That hurt my brain.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 05:29:37 AM »
That's some good alliteration Leadhead, the teahcer in me is proud of you, yet disappoitned that I spelled teacher wrong.
He looks like a great Warlord. Nice gargoyle thingy too. Fits well with your theme I think.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 05:57:55 AM »
That's some good alliteration Leadhead, the teahcer in me is proud of you, yet disappoitned that I spelled teacher wrong.
:lmao:  I have to read email at work all the time from people who are aweful at spelling.  And most are adults over 40. They should know how to spell by now.  I hardly notice mistakes in spelling now.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 11:27:49 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments and aliterative antics.

I need to sort out a pantheon for the gargoyle to fit into. I figure it would be a more archetypal demonic bunch. He would be a lesser demon. I could use the Heresy Hell Dogs as the hunting beasts, and I have a big demon from the Grim Reaper range which maybe could serve as a greater demon.

"Artwork" for the pantheon of Zuuf (formerly known as Shruuf) has been posted up on cheddarmongers in case anyone is remotely interested.

Any opinions about basing would be most welcome. So far I am going with a flagstones/crazy paving theme. Not sure about it tho. Might switch to a more generic mud/grass/stones kind of basing.  :scratchhead:
In 2014

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 07:06:55 PM »
The champion is almost there. Need to ix highlights and finish the base. Next unit in progress are some chaos dwarves, Hasslefree and an old citadel one in there too. There are actually 8 but one got missed out for some reason. Was  thinking of adding  some subtle greenish tinge to the armour plates. Not quite sure how to go about it so we will see how it turns out.

In 2014

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 08:55:45 PM »
Nice. Big tall guy surrounded by stunties