Author Topic: Gobbos redux  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Vermis

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Minisculpture
Gobbos redux
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »
Anyone remember these?

http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/Vermis/Fantasy/Heresy/Gobbos+WIP1.jpg.html

Original limited edition Heresy gobbos, dontcherknow.  I thought I had only the four, but the fifth was hiding in the lead pile.  But apart from painting some furs just after that photo, I haven't done anything with the first four in five years and can't remember at all what I did or used to get them that far.  (There was ghoul grey in there somewhere...)
So, I've ordered the remaining four command & hero gobbos (as you do), and I'm going to strip these and paint all nine together.  Maybe I won't aim so ambitiously this time, and maybe pull the skin colours together a bit.
Should make a nice wee warband.
minisculpture.co.uk
DanG on greens:
...before it even gets put into production the response that starts with 'nice job' ends in 'now do another...'

Offline ink the troll

• Dark Underlord
  • short, fat & ugly
    • View Profile
Re: Gobbos redux
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »
Don't strip them! The varied skin colours work quite well on them.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 06:00:25 AM »
Those look cool as is.

Offline Vermis

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Minisculpture
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 06:30:06 PM »
I won't argue with you there. ;)  But like I say, I can't remember what I did to paint the others up similarly; except that all the complications I went to are probably a major reason why I gave 'em a short rest in a box, five years ago.

I won't be going basecoat+dip, but I'll simplify things a wee bit.  No 5-6 step nose highlighting.  No highlighting to white, for that matter. (My CMoN infatuation phase was mercifully short)  And no subtle green underlighting glazes that don't show up unless you hold the thing in your hand and peer closely.
Some of those shades and highlights want to be a bit better placed, too.  Look at the left thigh of the second goblin - what's going on there?

Extra gobbos arrived this morning - it's admittedly been so long since I ordered from Andy that I forgot just how fast the parcels arrive!  And with sweeties, too...
minisculpture.co.uk
DanG on greens:
...before it even gets put into production the response that starts with 'nice job' ends in 'now do another...'

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
I think my gobbos will be basecoat and dip. 48 new ones plus 5 older ones seems like too much of a mission to spend hours on each mini

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 02:45:41 AM »
I think my gobbos will be basecoat and dip. 48 new ones plus 5 older ones seems like too much of a mission to spend hours on each mini

:lmao  You don't want to copy me in my Cult of Inevitable Decay size undertaking?!?! Why ever not? :blink:
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »

:lmao  You don't want to copy me in my Cult of Inevitable Decay size undertaking?!?! Why ever not? :blink:

I have a different approach. With around 600 dwarfs and 800 orcs and goblins from the old grenadier fantasy warriors range I have found the best way to solve the "how the hell am I going to paint them all?" debate. Is not to start.

I like the goblins in the picture. But I know exactly what you mean. You'll forever look at the new ones and although they look similar you'll know they weren't painted the same way! Save your sanity. Strip and start again!
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 05:36:23 PM »

You'll forever look at the new ones and although they look similar you'll know they weren't painted the same way! Save your sanity. Strip and start again!
This is why I wrote down all my color mixes and worked very hard to commit to memory the tecniques I used.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline Sir Chiddlington-Smythe

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »
The two on the left have the same sort of skin tones as I've pinted mine with (the newer casting that is). Great minds eh?