Author Topic: What Ruined the Star Trek Franchise (for me anyway)  (Read 6116 times)

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
What Ruined the Star Trek Franchise (for me anyway)
« on: January 04, 2013, 05:01:01 AM »
Completely random and mostly pointless this post, but I feel I need to post it anyway.

So, for some reason just now, I was reminded of what occured, that killed Star Trek for me (not that it matters).  I used to watch ST and liked all of the series' up until Voyager.  When it sort of went south.  I was watching a behind the scenes show (witch are normally cool), and they were discussing script writing.  They were discussing how there was a person or persons whose job it was to create the technical terms part of the script and in place of them in the script it would say '(tech)' until it was scene time.  No big deal right, normally yes.  Not very long after this however I was watching Voyager and for some reason there was a need to confuse some kind of sensors.  Then Harry Kim said he could use an 'Interfere-ametric Pulse'.  WTF is that?!? Seriously!?!?  Couldn't come up with anything better???  Interest in ST officially dead.  :blink: Just like that I didn't care if I ever saw any ST again.

This has been my dumb little story.  Hope it brought atleast a wry snicker. :silly
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
Re: What Ruined the Star Trek Franchise (for me anyway)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 06:39:41 AM »
 :lol:
interfere-amteric. That's terrible.
I really didn't like voyager either though. Deepspace nine was good. I really liked the most recent movie they brought out.

Offline Steve Wingate

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:18:33 AM »
Love the original series. It didn't take it's self too seriously and to this day I can still watch it.
'Next Generation' was too far up it's own recharge socket for me, although I do like some of the movies, DS9 was o.k., 'Voyager' at least had 'Seven of Nine' in it.
'Enterprise' totally lost the plot for me, but the first season was enjoyable enough, especially from a retro SciFi slant.
As for the technical terms, I'm with the school of Ned Flanders in that they seem to be "Straining to do some explaining!", and if the plot of a show is driven by techno-babble, then somethings wrong.

On the other hand, the new franchise has been a shot in the arm for Trek, and I hope they make more than a trilogy - which seems to be the case these days.  It's well made, the cast are excellent and the plots are daft enough to homage the original series, yet still add to the mythos rather than denigrate it.

I must admit to being more of a Babylon 5 fan, but  that's another thread.  :whistle:

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 01:10:31 PM »
I'd agree with Steve on preferring the original series (which is still watchable today) and B5. For me, Trek is played out and always too 'safe'. Unlike Steve, I wasn't taken with the new movies. The ground zero reboot didn't do it for me (and before anyone talks about parallel time streams or similar, the director has said he needed to rewind to the beginning and destroy all the convoluted continuity that had evolved over 40 or so years). For me, the glory days of Trek are long gone, and that's fine. The best is still out there, just as it is for The Prisoner, or Dr Who or whatever your favourite flavour of TV is.

As to 'Interfere--ametric Pulse', that's right up there with 'Unobtanium'! Although on that note I have to say that the best SF oddball element is from an old Harry Harrison short story where the starship is powered by 'radioactive transvestite'! Good old Mr Harrison. Sadly missed.
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Hellboy - "Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Offline Bahir

• Ta-daaaa!
  • Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 08:43:54 PM »
I liked Enterprise, except for the Temporal Cold War stuff.  I liked all of them on some level. I guess the one I liked the least was Voyager.   I couldn't get into Janeway.
[link]http://wargamesunlimited.net/[/link] Open Source War Games

Offline Curious Plankton

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:56:02 PM »
After ToS my main issue with the others is that jumpsuits scare me a little bit  :oops:

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 11:36:22 PM »
What ruined it for me was, as a child, discovering that the words to the song everyone had been singing in the school playground were star trecking instead of start wrecking.

Start wrecking was emotive, it was bombastic, it was cool. Star trecking was just a boring walk that would be overly long and tire us little children out.

Then years later I got to see it.
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline alchemist

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 05:30:56 PM »
I'm not really trying to defend Star Trek tech, but I would like to point out that interferometric is a real word.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/interferometric

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 12:28:23 AM »
I'm not really trying to defend Star Trek tech, but I would like to point out that interferometric is a real word.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/interferometric

To be fair, I have used an interferometer in my lab-coated real world identity, but I still say 'Interfere--ametric Pulse' is rubbish!
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 12:32:34 AM »
Surely calling it an interference pulse would sound much better. It sounds better to me.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 01:22:25 AM »
I really think most anything would have been better.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline Graeme

• Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »
My favorite techno-babble was 'Detecting Tetrion particles'. Tetrion being the brand name for wall filler or spackle.
Once upon not yet, long ago someday
Countless times we've met, met along the way

Offline DynamicEcho

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 02:45:40 PM »
I can happily watch any Trek though DS9 is my favourite, as it was less Utopian. Loved the new film, though the Physics in it is so unbelievably broken it did cause some considerable rage the first time I watched it.

Offline chromedog

• Worthless Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 10:19:07 PM »
right up there with 'Unobtanium'!

Unobtanium is an old engineers term though.  Refers to any material hard to extract or refine.  Like Aluminium at the time.  The cap on the Washington monument was the most expensive to make metal at the time.

It's also a trademark by Oakley.  The particular silicon rubber used in their sunglass nosepieces and on bike handgrips that gets more traction the wetter the surface (they stick better to your sweaty nose and your hands).

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 10:32:21 PM »
It went on too long and I got bored of it. Then there was the time shifting and alternative universes and that was it...
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline DanG

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • LJ weblog
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 12:08:09 AM »
It went on too long and I got bored of it. Then there was the time shifting and alternative universes and that was it...

As a Trekkie.

This.  Pushing too much out too quickly over the run of TNG, DS9 and Voyager over 14 years non-stop overlapping 3 decades...  I think they just ran out of steam and the audience became bored of the same old stuff getting recycled... 
DanG™  :transform:

"If your Martial Arts prowess fails to resolve a situation play dead. When playing dead doesn't work, play zombie."

Offline Bungle

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »
What ruined the Star Trek Franchise?

The fact it became a franchise of only loosely related stories. They should have left it at next gen.

DS9 pilot was suspiciously like the B5 pilot JMS submitted when touting the story to studios.

Something new in the same universe would have been fine, but rehashes of the same old stuff got boring

Bungle         Steders loves goats                Ben Loves badgers

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 07:30:35 PM »
I always thought that rather than the increasingly tired series, they'd be better off doing a sequence of unconnected 'movies of the week' with standalone characters, set in the Trek universe. I also suggested to a friend years and years ago, that I'd like to see a series based on the misadventures of a shady freighter crew. I suspect Joss Whedon was eavesdropping.

Offline GearHead

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 07:04:43 PM »
I loved TnG starting season 3, though there was a season or two that was crap (I forget which, but it was during the time when everyone was trying to imitate The X-Files.) Personally, I liked DS-9 the best (I only started watching Babylon 5 years later,) and I never could get into Voyager because Janeway bugged the ever-living hell out of me. By the time Enterprise came around, I'd lost interest in Star Trek.

The original movies (except V) are still watchable, but I noticed one day that much of the dialogue in VI is complete gibberish, such as Spock's opening speech describing the state of the Klingon Empire, and everything everyone said during the banquet (even before the Romulan Ale started flowing!)
"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."