Author Topic: RIP Gerry Anderson  (Read 2032 times)

Offline DRAGON

• LORD OF WHITE METAL MOUNTAIN
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
RIP Gerry Anderson
« on: December 26, 2012, 05:22:20 PM »
Sad news indeed - his work is the main reason I becaqme the sci-fi geek I am today  :(

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/thunderbirds-creator-gerry-anderson-dies-161959431.html
Heaven doesn't want me. Hell is afraid i will take over !
OFFICIAL WINNER UDOD 2012
Minis painted this year (2013) : Too few !
Heresy Dragon - paint in progress - coming soon... seriously !

http://foddragon.mybrute.com

Offline Steve Wingate

• Heretic
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Gerry Anderson
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »
Sad news indeed - his work is the main reason I became the sci-fi geek I am today  :(

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/thunderbirds-creator-gerry-anderson-dies-161959431.html

Ditto, the man is a legend. He's off to that Tracey Island in the sky...  :(

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 10:16:30 PM »
 8::: I remember being six years old and waking early to watch the Thunderbirds. I can still hum the theme tune.

And while Space 1999 was not as good, I enjoyed a lot of it, and think the Eagles are still one of the best 'realistic' designs out there.  :happytears:

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »
Yes will  be sadly missed i enjoyed all the reruns when i was a kid just loved the big exsplotions. for a will i even looked like joe 90 skinny kid with NHS glasses  :D,

the only bad thing he did was terrorhawks.
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline Big Boris

• aka Andy Foster, Heresy Miniatures Owner/Prisoner
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • Dragon Slayer. At last.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heresyminiatures.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »
I bloody loved Terrahawks - purely because of Sgt Major Zero, though. Zelda and her son freaked me out a bit as a kid, though. Me and my little brother lived for the moments when Sgt Major Zero saved the day by achieving infinite mass and knocking those imbecile cubes over (every week, they thought they would win by forming an impenetrable forcefield line; every week Zero sent them flying like bowling pins...)

(TBH Gerry Anderson is one of those celebrities in the "Oh, actually, I thought he died ages ago?" group for me, been a few of those this last year or so. Ray Harryhausen still alive.)

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »
Like many hereI grew up on Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet et al. And yes, I loved them all. That said, I think his career peaked with UFO. Sadly, in on of those 'never meet your heroes' moments I did just that in 1984. Maybe he was having an off day, but I don't think he came across very well and that seems to soured my memories. Still, all credit to a genuinely original, creative, guy. He will be missed. 
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Hellboy - "Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Offline Graeme

• Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 11:49:10 PM »
Only saw him once as he passed the car I was in. He was driving FAB1 dressed as Parker with Sylvia in the back in full Lady Penelope costume. Made my day, though I did have to ask my mum why Parker had gone bald.
Once upon not yet, long ago someday
Countless times we've met, met along the way