Author Topic: Red Dwarf season ten  (Read 7763 times)

Offline DanG

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • LJ weblog
Re: Red Dwarf season ten
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 05:43:38 PM »
Certainly it's streets ahead of the last lot; just not up there with the classic stuff.

Series 1 and 2 were the best for me. Downhill gradually from there with each successive series although I kept watching out of loyalty. Current series has had me at least smiling all the way through each episode and a few big laughs, so far, so that's a big improvement over at least the last 4 series and the cringeworthy Back To Earth special, from my POV, at least.

Can't argue with anything there. Series 1 and 2 are by far the best.

Not a major surprise thats the point where it stopped being co-written by Grant and Naylor>  They had a falling out and will never work together again.  Doug Naylor continued solo.  Perhaps their mutual loathing seemed to carry over into the comedy gold of the original Lister/Rimmer dynamic.
DanG™  :transform:

"If your Martial Arts prowess fails to resolve a situation play dead. When playing dead doesn't work, play zombie."

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 06:15:53 PM »
I don't know about you guys but for me, the cat doing charades last week with the other three desparately shouting geusses was prcieless :).
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 05:57:35 PM »
The only thing missing from this final episode was an Ace Rimmer transformation. Because they ahd Rimmer turn into Ace Rimmer without turning into Ace Rimmer. That was very disappointing.
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline DanG

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • LJ weblog
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 06:47:17 PM »
definately better than i had feared.  Looks like Dave was paying attention to the fan critisisms  from "back to earth".  I liked that it felt very much like the early Red Dwarf most of the time.
DanG™  :transform:

"If your Martial Arts prowess fails to resolve a situation play dead. When playing dead doesn't work, play zombie."

Offline Bewildered Badger

• Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
I always saw 'Back To Earth' as Dave's experiment to see a) if they could actually make Red Dwarf, and b) if there as a potential audience for a new series. Actually making a good show came a distant third on the priority list...

My general opinion of RDX? It felt like Red Dwarf, which is good. Even the clunker 'Lemons', and the rather pointless 'Dear Dave' (allegedly a low budget replacement for a more expensive script) had their moments. The others, whilst maybe not amongst the series best, were funny and entertaining throughout. I particularly enjoyed the non-explanation for season eight's cliffhanger.

Overall I'm glad it's back, and I hope Dave produce more. Doug Naylor has apparently tweeted that a new series is dependent on DVD/Blu-ray sales, but whether this is true or a cunning marketing stratagem I don't know.