Author Topic: What is happening at Heresy?  (Read 6463 times)

Offline GRIMJACK

• Lurker
    • View Profile
What is happening at Heresy?
« on: August 15, 2012, 06:37:32 PM »
Andy,

Just wondered if you had any new sculpts, etc. you have been working on? It seems to be quite a while since we heard anything from you.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: What is happening at Heresy?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:52:14 PM »
Maybe the one man operation is busy trying to sort out the backlog of dragons?

Salute saw a bunch of new sculpts though.
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:02:42 AM »
I'm looking forward to the dragons being sorted out.  Then there may be some new dark brethren sculpts in the works.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 01:49:19 AM »
and goblins!!

Offline Big Boris

• aka Andy Foster, Heresy Miniatures Owner/Prisoner
  • Administrator
  • Dragon Slayer. At last.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heresyminiatures.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »
Basically, Craig left, which leaves me doing everything myself, including moulding, casting, packing, cleaning, emailing, website, etc, etc. So I'm now doing 12 hour days 7 days a week. The Dragon is indeed taking up much of my time that isn't involved in filling orders or remoulding production moulds or recasting entire drawers of shiny/miscast stock that I've discovered. I've just made a couple of spinnable moulds for the resin arms and (now) metal hands, since Ian was having big problems getting quality casts of the hands in particular, always seemed to be a couple of areas of blobby resin on the backs of fingers etc. I'm also making moulds for Ian's metal stuff for Fenris to pay for the Dragons he's making for me. I'm basically out of my house at 8am, back at 9.30pm, take a shower, go to bed.

I do have some half done figures that I'm desperate to finish but finding the time/energy is a real issue. I've also got some long-term Kickstarter-aimed stuff that I've got lots of ideas for but again don't seem to be finding time to do. These include a commander for the Troopers and sniper/spotter figures along with a new rifle variant for the existing figures, skeletons, a dynamic Valkyrie (had to be stopped as she's in the same pose as those fighters Kev did recently) two paladins and various other figures.

Thing is, even if Craig hadn't quit, I'd have had to make him redundant. Although there's tons of work to do - a lot of it stuff that Craig was unable to do like remaking moulds - there aren't actually enough orders coming in to pay for an assistant. Craig wages were making me a loss. There's too much work for one man, not enough for two.

Hopefully I'll get on top of things soon, at the moment it's all 'repair work'. I'm discovering a lot of things that should have been sorted out and done properly, that were simply overlooked or ignored or couldn't be done due to lack of money for replacement moulds.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 08:41:20 AM »
I feel for you. Must be very depressing waking, working then sleeping with little or no time for any sort of relaxation. Even having a kickstarter would put extra pressure on, although I guess then you could pay for extra help.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 08:47:24 AM »
Yes, on both counts. Depressing, and also part of the aim of the Kickstarter would be to get funds to hire someone to help out. I have a couple of people who've asked about jobs, one an old friend, one my former right hand man at GW Warhammer World, who I still feel could have been a really great sculptor. He had the eye for it.

Dark Brethren are floating up towards the top of my list by the way, thanks to your conversions on here, Leadhead! Quite fancy having a  go at some, Paul Muller did the others.

Offline Bergil

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:28:09 PM »
Oh dear, I'm going to start telling people how to run their business aren't I?

I'll try and stop before I go too far with it. But if you had a part time worker to pack up yesterdays orders for a few hours then take the remainder to the post box/office by 1 say, you'd at least shake up 4 hours of free time for yourself. Which one would imagine you could spend on sculpting figures. Which is what the business has to keep on producing to keep the income flowing surely?

I dare say, when they aren't packing orders they could then at least be spinning moulds for you, cleaning up and making the tea.

Probably a role that could be taken up by a semi retired person who wants to be doing something for a few hours a day, and isn't overly worried about the pay.

:shrug:

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:42:57 PM »
I will restrain from being sarcastic. Suffice to say, I am well aware of this idea. Sadly, the funds just aren't there. I couldn't pay myself for the last three months before Craig left.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »
I would list the exact skills, intelligence levels and attitude I require, but that would just make me sound like I'm slagging off former minions.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
Also, I don't even know if I'll be living in Derby any time soon. In theory, we could sell this house any day (Surely to god it'll sell at some point soon...), and since we'll be renting, I could move anywhere that I can find a decent workshop. My parents are pushing on and it'd be nice to be closer to them, up by the Borders for the few years they probably have left.

Offline Bergil

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »
I will restrain from being sarcastic.

:D

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »
Dark Brethren are floating up towards the top of my list by the way, thanks to your conversions on here, Leadhead! Quite fancy having a  go at some, Paul Muller did the others.

:woohoo:
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 10:19:10 PM »
I'd back any sort of kickstarter Heresy created definately.

Offline Curious Plankton

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 10:46:06 PM »
 :metoo:

By far my fav mini company, sorry for your worries Andy.

Should I win the lottery...

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »
Currently I'm thinking plastic box sets for the KS ideas, am working on making 3ups in what I laughingly refer to as my spare time. Undead, to start with, as I can make skeletons and then cover those skeletons to make ghouls or zombies, and also slightly alter them with new legs and horned skulls to make skeleton beastmen or demons.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »
Rib cages are my enemy, though. Very tricky to sculpt as I seem to be unable to hold the concept of ribs in my mind. It's like a blind spot, I even struggle to just count them. Also, one has to sculpt not to the proportions that look correct in 90mm, but to proportions that wil look correct when reduced to 1/3rd current size. So a skull that i did, which looked awesome and in proportion to the height, etc, would have been way too thin when scaled down. Also have had to come up with a few ideas on how to do any sort of semi-representation of all those teeth when you only have 2-d angles to play with - zero undercuts mean everything has to either be blank on the sides of the skull (so no fancy curves  or gaps at the back of the teeth (between teeth and jawbone) or you have to have a crazy wide set of teeth that get slightly further out with each tooth. Doing that currently, it means that the skull has about 8 teeth on top and 8 on bottom,  madly inaccurate but anything smaller would be pointless for certain.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »
Undead spounds awesome. Maybe some of the skulls helmeted with sides covering the mouth sides would help. No good for a blank though I guess.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »
There would be helmeted ones in there, too, but you gotta have mucho blank skulls in a box of skellies!

Offline GRIMJACK

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 10:30:46 PM »
Sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment. I suppose you are even too busy to sculpt for other people? Foundry have had a re-launch and are looking for sculptors, in house or freelance, and they want to add new stuff. Plus, there appear to be a few Steampunk / VSF projects in the offing that your style would really suit.

You are an awesome sculptor and, having chatted to you a few times at shows, a 'bloody nice bloke'. I know that your dragon is the best out there but do you ever wish you had never started it? The amount of hassle it has caused! Good luck with the Kickstarter thing, skellies are not my thing anymore but, as long as they are better than the GW and Mantic ones, the market will be ready when you are.

Stay lucky.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 10:39:11 AM »
I think on the Dragon thread, out of the 56+ pages of chat, there's probably at least two pages worth of posts of me wishing I'd never started it... ;)

Always room for more skellies is my theory. As long as they look nice enough, people will buy them. I always aim at people like myself, who go for stuff that looks great rather than worrying about what they've already got. If I can get the Skels to look like how i think they should look, then people will want to buy them - particualrly if I sell them at the right price. 10 plastic figures for 16.00 is not a good deal, in my opinion, but there is of course the question of covering your costs for the moulds, etc!

Interestingly, I was asked if I would like to be a part of sculpting the Undead for Mantic. Sadly, I genuinely don't have the time to do that sort of thing for anyone else, much as I would have loved to, so had to reluctantly say no.

Offline DynamicEcho

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »
Personally, I would happily buy 10 plastic minis for 16, as long as they are all different (preferably with some posability) and up to the same standard as the rest of the range. If you can manage that I'd be all over any undead or other fantasy figures you might produce :) To be honest in many ways I prefer plastics (as long as it's a good plastic, like the GW and perry stuff), as in my experience it's much more resilient to chipping and such, and paints up just as well.