Author Topic: It hasn't got what?  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
It hasn't got what?
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:17:14 PM »
Alright, so there's this lovely little cottage just down the road from us that got knocked down a few weeks back. Now there's just a sort of empty field without a house in it that kind of looks wrong but I'll explain why later.

It's been there at least as long as we have (and we've been here twenty nine years) and given the fact that it was a rather quaint looking old cottage it's probably been there longer still.

The other day my father finaly managaed to find out what happened and it's an amusing tale.

The old boy who was hanging on to it finaly let it go and a new couple bought it up and moved in. Being ambitious they decided to add an extension, despite the fact that it was a lovely old cottage and there'd probably be a clash of styles and all sorts.

So anyway, they got a builder 'round to have a look at it and he said "you can't put an extension on that."

"Why not," they asked.

And he said to them "it's got no foundations."

Seriously. For all these years the thing was just resting on the ground. So now there's this fenced & hedged area the size of a pair of semi detatched houses that's half rocky pebbles and half grass where a back garden was. I don't know if the couple found somewhere else quickly but they aren't living there now and nobody seems to be trying to build anything yet. There's a for sale sign that's broken and fallen over but beyond that, nothing.

Mad huh? I mean foundations have been about since before biblical times but some mad nutter, in the recent past, decided to do without.
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline snailracer

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
Re: It hasn't got what?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:20:53 AM »
You'd probably find that a good number of older properties have little or no foundations. A property we work at is currently having an extension and the builders found that the victorian extension they were adding to was lacking any proper foundations. Cue lots of digging, propping, and pouring of concrete!

What are the odds on the plot now belonging to aforementioned builder, who puts four houses on it?!

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:11:57 PM »
What are the odds on the plot now belonging to aforementioned builder, who puts four houses on it?!

Well they could only fit two on it  :silly. But I'd say pretty good odds really. There used to be this other lovely old house with a monkey pu\\le tree in the garden nearby that got knocked down to be replaced by 4 or 5 "show homes" in a little cul de sac. I swear our local town council's only driven by greed. They wanted to knock down the village car park to build a cinema at one point but fortunately saw sense (or something). We reckon wichever cinema company it was was bribing them rather heavily.
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 02:45:05 AM »
I live in a 150 year old church with no foundations.
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline freakinacage

• heretic and heathen
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 09:13:23 AM »
I live in a 150 year old church with no foundations.
wtf?!

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 02:13:20 PM »
Foundations  in the image of either a trench full of concrete or a big concrete raft are quite modern.
previously a Foundation could ( and was) a trenceh full of big stones or just a gravel raft, it gives a stable base that you can build on that will react the same to the pressure of the building,  If the hole building sinks it dosnt matter if its all at the same rate, if one end sinks and the outhe dosnt, its bad news as the building will tear itself apart.  As new bulids must be built to modern specs, they have to have modern foundations and will move at a differnt rate to the building there attached too, leading to cracking and problems, you can avoid this by doing "underpining"  ( putting new foundations under the old building)  but its time consuming and expensive.  ( can you tell i payed attention when i helped my dad and uncle build a couple of extensions)
a happy dauber