Author Topic: Vibrating Table  (Read 2751 times)

perceptionistruth

Vibrating Table
« on: July 04, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »
I'm doing a lot of plaster of paris casting at the moment, and while thumping the table or tapping it vigorously is fun and relieves stress, I'm interested in building / buying a vibrating table to help with air bubbles.

I've seen a couple of 'how to's' on the web, mostly with a US focus.  Anyone built their own, anyone use one, anyone think they're a waste of time?  Any links / advice / recommendations?

Offline Big Boris

• aka Andy Foster, Heresy Miniatures Owner/Prisoner
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • Dragon Slayer. At last.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heresyminiatures.com
Re: Vibrating Table
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
Buy a cheapo Power Plate?

perceptionistruth

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »
And lose weight while making plaster of paris bricks :)

I think even the cheapest are out of my price range, and I think the range of motion might be too great for air bubble remover.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:01:14 PM by perceptionistruth »

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 09:11:11 PM »
you can always try
cheap battery drill.  grip the chuck key in the chuck,  lay it on the tray your using switch on use the trigger lock. (experiment to get a controllable amount of shake before adding water, plaster etc.)
a happy dauber

Offline caerban

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • The Dark Side of the Moomin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »
I've actually had some success with resin, plaster and silicon by using, would you believe, a cheap battery operated, vibrating, octopus-shaped back massager.
"No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head."

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 09:52:55 PM »
I believe Ann summers may stock what you need.
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 10:11:57 PM »
i was valiantly trying to avoid that option but  :metoo: as well.
a happy dauber

perceptionistruth

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:30:35 PM »
I've actually had some success with resin, plaster and silicon by using, would you believe, a cheap battery operated, vibrating, octopus-shaped back massager.

I would absolutely believe it, I just don't want to fork out 20 for something that's not powerful enough.  I was thinking of trying one of these.  Putting a piece of wood or a tray on top of some foam, the mold on the wood/tray, and then using the massager against the wood.

As for the Anne Summers option, let's just say, already considered, not yet evaluated, don't want to ruin anything we already have in the house.

Offline zemjw

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 08:52:05 AM »
It might be worth having a look around Hirst Arts and their forum as that question gets discussed a lot there.