Author Topic: Grymn Fluff - Eastward Endeavours Finished  (Read 16675 times)

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 13
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »
 :silly i know  :lol:
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 15
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »
The first thing Tulley did when she decided upon her engineering area was to hang up her pin-board.
“There” she said to herself “it now feels more like home.”
“Drake, what is the current state of the missile munitions within the hold” asked Sven.
“Define current state… we have forty eight missiles loaded with a further hundred and ninety-two in the magazine” replied Drake.
“That is the answer I required” replied Sven “please confirm charge status of turrets.”
“All three turrets are fully charged” replied Drake.
“When were they last test fired?” asked Sven.
“Test firing has not been recorded” replied Drake.
“Does that mean they haven’t been test fired since the ship has been operational?” asked Sven.
“That is correct” replied Drake.
“Thank you” said Sven and he added a note to his data tablet.
“Drake, what is the current engine efficiency?” asked Tulley.
“The engines are running at an average of seventy-four percent efficiency” replied Drake.
“Please run down system efficiencies for me, Drake” said Tulley.
“Core efficiency is eighty percent, life support is eighty-two percent, hydraulics sixty-five percent, environmental is seventy-nine percent and recyclables are ninety two percent” replied Drake and Tulley made notes and shook her head.
“I am not happy with some of those percentages” said Tulley.
“The percentages are the maximum that can be achieved with the current systems available aboard this vessel” replied Drake.
“We’ll see” replied Tulley.
“Hey, Tulley” said Sven “at least wait until we’ve learned about the ship before you start tearing it apart.”
“Of course I will” said Tulley “but it doesn’t hurt to have a good poke around.”
“How are you both getting on?” asked Anna when she arrived in the engineering area “I see you have already personalised your space.”
“We’re fine” replied Tulley “we’re just carrying out some diagnostics.”
“The ship is a beauty, isn’t she?” said Anna proudly.
“She’s not bad” replied Tulley “she’ll be better with a few tweaks.”
“Really?” asked Anna in surprise “what’s wrong with her?”
“Some of the systems are not as efficient as they could be and there have been no test firings of the primary weapon systems” replied Tulley.
“I’m sure we can arrange test firings” said Anna “is the ship broken?”
“No, of course not” replied Tulley “she just needs to get in shape.”
“That is good” replied Anna “Septus has only owned her for the last three weeks and she was straight from the yard when he bought her.”
“So she is brand new… I thought she must be” replied Tulley.
“Yes… we had to scrap the last one” said Anna “but that is a story for another time. Please let Septus know if there are any weapons trials or maintenance activities that are needed and he will sort out times to do them.”
“We will” replied Tulley.
“We will be eating together in the mess at eighteen-hundred hours” said Anna “don’t forget!”
“We won’t” said Tulley and Anna disappeared into the corridor.
“She seemed nice” said Tulley.
“I guess so” replied Sven “I wonder what happened to the last vessel?”
“I’m sure it was nothing worse than we’ve encountered before” replied Tulley and she walked over to Sven and put her arm around his waist.
“I hope it wasn’t” said Sven in return and he put his arm around Tulley.
“It is nice to be close to you without having to worry about it” said Tulley; kissing Sven on the cheek.
“It is much better” replied Sven and he kissed her back “but we need to learn the ship and you shouldn’t be distracting me or I might have to take matters into my own hands.”
“Oh really?” replied Tulley and she kissed his cheek again.
“Right… that’s it!” said Sven as he twisted around, faced Tulley and kissed her lips “you are in trouble now!”
Tulley giggled and leapt away from him “I promise I’ll be good!” she said.
“You’d better had be” said Sven with a broad smile on his face. He felt happier than he had done for a very long time.

After the rest of the afternoon was spent familiarising themselves with the ship and its systems, Tulley and Sven cleaned up and went for their meal on time. Septus and the four Grymn all sat around a large oval table. There was a rectangular conduit that protruded from the wall and from it, small foil containers were dispensed. Anna shared them out and began to open hers so Sven and Tulley did likewise. Inside was a prefabricated, hot meal. There was a drink dispenser beside the conduit and Anna took the role of filling everyone’s glasses with cordial.
“Enjoy” said Septus and they all began to eat. Tulley watched Septus with interest as his tube-like tongue flicked out and nestled in his food. He began to suck the food from the dish and Tulley found it fascinating.
“Septus, do you need to chew at all?” asked Tulley.
“No” he replied “I have special, crushing muscles inside my tongue that squash the food as it travels along.”
“That is cool” said Tulley.
“Thank you” replied Septus uncertainly “have you found your way around yet?”
“I think so” said Tulley “but to really get to grips with the ship, I need to rip some panels off and see what her guts are like.”
“Really?” asked Septus “is there any need to do that just yet; she is very new after all?”
“Well, she could run a bit better… she isn’t at peak efficiency” replied Tulley “so me and Sven will need to fix up the systems a bit.”
“Oh” replied Septus “I had no idea that I had purchased a second rate vessel.”
“She’s a lovely ship!” said Tulley abruptly “she just needs a bit of love to get the best out of her.”
“And you two can do that?” asked Septus.
“Yes we can” replied Tulley “we’ll just need times when we can work on individual systems in between missions.”
“Missions?” asked Septus “oh, you mean collections.”
“Yep… and Sven says we need to fire of the guns to make sure they work and target correctly” said Tulley as she tucked into her food.
“We will arrange that for you, master Sven” said Septus.
“What is this food?” asked Sven.
“It is protein based stew with synthesised vegetables” replied Anna weakly.
“It is delicious” said Sven “I have never eaten anything like this before.”
“After you have eaten it every day for a couple of weeks you may feel differently” replied Anna.
Tulley looked up, produced a small bottle from her breast pocket and handed it to Anna.
“Put a squirt of that on it and it will taste different” said Tulley “not too much if you want to keep your lips!”
“What is it?” asked Anna.
“Porphys hot-sauce” replied Tulley “dragons use it to spice up their food because they don’t have very sensitive taste buds… that’s why you don’t use too much.”
“Is it safe?” asked Anna and Tulley took the bottle and put a drop of sauce on her own dinner before returning it to Anna. She then mixed it into her food and took a bite.
“See? It is fine” said Tulley.
Anna put a small drop of the sauce on her dinner, mixed it in and cautiously took a bite.
“That is gorgeous!” she said.
“I told you!” said Tulley cheerfully “you can keep that one, I never go anywhere without a small supply to keep me going.”
“Thank you” said Anna and she handed the bottle to Odin who also tried the sauce.
“How long have you two been together?” asked Tulley as she ate.
“We have been married for four and a half years” said Anna “what about you two?”
“We have been together for a couple of years but we have only just started being a couple” said Tulley. Sven steeled himself for what was to come; expecting Tulley’s usual ramblings.
“What do you mean?” asked Anna.
“We worked together for a couple of years before we felt we were in a position to actually become a couple” said Tulley “it is just a shame that it took a couple of years.”
Sven was surprised at her answer. He had expected her to talk about him being a reploid but she hadn’t.
“So what was your last ship like?” asked Anna.
“It was comparable in size to this one but had external weapons, a curved hull and was golden in colour” said Sven “She was a reliable and beautiful ship.”
“Why did you leave?” asked Odin “you seem to have loved your time aboard.”
“Tulley was the captain’s adopted daughter and he didn’t approve of our union” said Sven sadly “we either left as a couple of stayed apart.”
“That is a real shame” said Odin “sometimes the decisions we have to make are extremely hard.”
“Yes” agreed Sven “I left some dear friends aboard the ship.”
“So did I” agreed Tulley.
“Well hopefully, you’ll find new ones here” said Septus.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:51:41 PM by Inso »
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 04:50:48 PM »
“Firing forward!” said Sven. He pressed the test button for the forward turret and a pattern of energy fire erupted from the guns. He repeated the process for the rear and dorsal turrets and once the test was complete; he retracted the turrets and informed Septus.
“The guns are all operational, captain” said Sven “and system checks of the firing mechanism for the missiles have also been completed satisfactorily.”
“Thank you, master Sven” replied Septus “do you require the ship to remain stationary for any longer, or are you happy for us to continue?”
“As far as I am concerned, we can move on” replied Sven “and Tulley is busy with tertiary inspections so she will agree.”
“Thank you, we will continue our journey then” replied Septus.

“I am surprised that the new crew members have not asked about my previous vessel” thought Septus “or, indeed how it came to be destroyed.”
He gazed through the front screen at the stars and remembered the events that led to the new ship being required vividly. He smiled an arachnid smile and said “Drake, how long until we reach Dural 3?”
“At the current speed, we will reach orbit in eighteen hours and thirty-five minutes, captain” replied Drake.
“Could we stand off the orbit at five clicks?” said Septus.
“It will be done, captain” replied Drake.
“Thank you” said Septus. He didn’t want to get too close to the dock until he was sure his prize was there. He tapped the keys on the control panel and the picture of a dark-haired human appeared on the screen. Next to the picture was information about where he could be found, what his habits were and when he was likely to be at home. Septus scratched his chin and studied the screen.
“You will be fairly easy to scratch off my list” he thought.

“Anna” said Tulley “What do you keep in here?” Tulley pointed to a large door that was locked and could only be opened with a code.
“I’m sorry, Tulley but I can’t tell you yet” replied Anna “captain’s orders.”
“Oh” replied Tulley.
Sven stared at the door for a moment and his eyes changed colour as a red beam flashed out.
“That is where various robot suits are kept” said Sven.
“How did you do that?” asked Anna “you shouldn’t have done that…”
“We all have our secrets” said Sven “I can see that I will have to share my nature with the captain before too long.”
“Well, you already know that I can change my colour” replied Sven “but it goes much further than that.”
“How much further?” asked Anna.
“I will demonstrate once the captain is in our presence” replied Sven.
Anna stared at Sven for a few seconds before leaving the engineering area.
“You proper spooked her then” said Tulley “are you sure you know what you are doing?”
“No… I’m not” replied Sven “but it is better to get things in the open as soon as we can, then we can all start relaxing in each other’s company.”
“I guess so” said Tulley “but what if Septus wants us to leave the ship?”
“I am not sure what his trade is but I am certain that it isn’t fully above board” replied Sven “and having a shape-shifting, practically indestructible, bio-weapon aboard can only be a bonus to him.”
“I suppose so” said Tulley who looked over to the corridor to see Septus, Odin and Anna appear.
“Anna says that you have something to share with me” said Septus.
“I suppose I do” said Sven and he made his way to the centre of the room “please do not be alarmed.”
The first thing he did was to change colours. He then repeated his previous feat of converting himself into a snake and leaving his clothes to fall on the floor before he reformed into his Grymn appearance but with pre-formed underwear in place.
“I can form any shape I wish as long as it is not too much larger than my current stature” said Sven as he changed his arm into an energy weapon “I can create energy weapons that never require to be charged and have varied effects depending on what I wish to create.”
Sven allowed his arm to return to its normal form before his legs sprouted vents that began to glow; causing him to rise into the air a short distance.
“I can fly and I do not need to breathe, eat or drink” he said “and I can operate in extreme environments, like the vacuum of space or the freezing wastes of an ice planet.”
Sven dissolved into a pool of liquid and rose up into his clothes before returning to his Grymn form.
“If I wanted to, I could destroy this vessel with a thought and I could know everything about the ship and the people in it… no computer system is safe because I can encrypt or decode any system… and I expect that I could even decode bio-computers like a human brain if I could work out an interface” said Sven “I am the perfect crewmate to have when trouble arrives.”
Sven stopped and looked at Septus, Odin and Anna and they were all silent and staring at him.
“Your talents are prodigious” said Septus “I am surprised that you don’t have a ship of your own.”
“I am no captain” replied Sven “I am an engineer who just needs a place to stay with his partner.”
“You realise that this little demonstration changes everything, don’t you?” said Septus.
“I thought it might but I knew that it was important to share what I can do” replied Sven “a captain needs to know what resources he has at his disposal, after all.”
“Anna, open the store room” said Septus and Anna did as she was asked. Inside was a selection of robotic suits that were similar to the ones that Anna and Odin had worn in the hotel. There were various alien disguises and over on one side were a pair of battle-suits. There were two large cabinets that were packed with weapons and there was also a large case that had ammunition and grenades in it. There were EVA suits amongst the equipment along with jump-packs, climbing gear, diving gear, cold weather gear and arctic skiing equipment.
“This is what we call the store room” said Septus “it contains everything we could ever need to complete our tasks.”
“What would those be?” asked Sven.
“It varies but we are currently on an assassination job” said Septus.
“Is it purely about money or is this because of what the target has done?” asked Sven.
“The Butcher of Klickeen is his name” replied Septus “you make your own mind up.”
“What are his crimes?” asked Sven.
“Klickeen is no more” replied Septus “fifty billion souls joined the universe when the mass converter was fired at the planet and it was turned to ash.”
“He will be well protected” said Sven.
“The over confident are never ready for a surprise” replied Septus.
“He is on Dural 3?” asked Sven.
“Yes” replied Septus “Anna and Odin will have the honour of removing the stain.”
“What else do you get involved with?” asked Sven.
“We return lost treasures, tidy up loose ends and help people get to where they need to go” replied Septus “our investments mean that we do not receive payment for our work but we are self sufficient and have enough funds to continue far beyond our expected life span.”
“How do you choose your work?” asked Sven.
“Coincidence, circumstance and request” replied Septus.
“You are happy for us to remain as part of your crew?” asked Sven.
“I am” replied Septus “we all have our uses and we understand that we also have our demons too.”
“Thank you” replied Sven “I don’t sleep either.”
“I understand” replied Septus “you have nothing to fear from anyone aboard this ship… and neither does miss Tulley.”
“I understand” replied Sven.
“We arrive at our destination in little more than an hour” said Septus “Anna and Odin will be active and we will monitor and react.”
“I will ensure that the weapon systems are ready and Tulley will ensure that maximum power will be available for the escape” replied Sven “it is what we have always done.”
“Good” replied Septus and he turned to leave.
“You could do this job on your own with no need for any equipment” said Odin.
“It would not be something I could enjoy” replied Sven “I am a soldier and an engineer… not an assassin.”
“It is a shame” replied Odin “I am glad to have you on our side though.”
“I can imagine” replied Sven with a broad smile “it would not fare well to have me as an enemy.”
“Indeed” replied Odin and he gestured for Anna to join him as he followed Septus out of the room.
Tulley walked up to Sven and draped herself on him “that was quite a display” she said.
“I thought I’d pile it on thick” replied Sven.
“If we didn’t have this job to do, I would take you to our cabin now” said Tulley and she kissed him passionately.
“There is always later” replied Sven and he smiled while he extricated himself from her embrace “now get to work and stop distracting me!”
“Yes, sir!” said Tulley with a giggle and she went over to the engine control panel to make sure everything was as it should be “eighty percent?”
“What is?” asked Sven.
“The engines are at eighty percent” replied Tulley “I really need to strip them down and get them working better.”
“They’ll be fine for now” said Sven.
“Well they haven’t had Tulley’s attention yet!” replied Tulley “I’ll get more power from them.”
“It will have to wait until we’ve finished this task” said Sven as he cycled through the turret pre-firing checks again.”
“I know, silly” replied Tulley “but it doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it though.”
“I guess not” said Sven.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:52:05 PM by Inso »
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 08:53:03 AM »
 :applause: :D
In the war-torn darkness of the future, there is only Grymn.

Deep Space Nine: Officially not as good as Stargate.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »
...did you pick up on the understanding between Septus and Sven? There were threatening undertones.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 16
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2012, 11:41:03 AM »
“There!” said Septus “prepare to intercept…Drake, now!”
The Cheerful Drake spun through a hundred and eighty degrees and powered towards the approaching ship in reverse. The blast doors in engineering slammed close and the rear ramp opened. Moments later the approaching ship diverted and exploded but not before the two crew members had ejected. Anna and Odin fired up their jump packs and screamed towards the open stern of The Cheerful Drake.
“The cargo is aboard, captain” said Drake.
“Seal the ship and let’s get underway” said Septus.
“It is done” replied Drake.
“Drake, safe harbour six” said Septus “maximum available speed, covert.”
“It is done, captain” replied Drake.
“Thank you, Drake” said Septus “you have control.”

The blast door inside the engineering area opened and Sven went to investigate with Tulley. Odin and Anna were in the process of removing their helmets so Sven and Tulley helped them.
“How did it go?” asked Tulley.
“Very cleanly” said Odin “with no hitches.”
“Yes, the target was at a dinner party and we used a guided injector to take him out” said Anna.
“A what?” asked Tulley and Anna produced a small case from her webbing. She opened it to reveal four small, robotic insects with clear bottles of fluid in them. There was a fifth depression that was empty.
“They follow an infra red beam and when they are on target, they inject the contents of the bottle. Once they have done that, they drop to the floor and dissolve” said Anna “the poison induces choking and prevents the blood from carrying oxygen so it looks pretty natural when they die.”
“The poison will be detected during blood screening but by that time, we are long gone” said Odin.
“That is cool” said Tulley as she inspected the insect “the micro-robotics in that are a work of art.”
“Each one is worth half a million credits” said Anna “we only use them for very special targets.”
“I’m not surprised they are so expensive” said Tulley “the craftsmanship required to make them is very rare.”
Anna snapped the case closed and popped it back in her webbing.
“I could see you would have one in pieces if I hadn’t put them away” she said with a smile on her face.
“You’re probably right” replied Tulley, who also smiled.
“Well? How did it go?” asked Septus as he entered the engineering area.
“Slick” replied Odin “The pod landed exactly as planned, we got to within half a click of the building and guided the injector in through an open window. We then boarded a shuttle and when we got to the dock, borrowed a small ship for the return journey.”
“Excellent work” said Septus “did you leave anything behind?”
“The pod was destroyed and the injector dissolved” said Odin “but apart from that, we left nothing except our breath.”
“Well done” said Septus “I will expect a full debrief once you have made yourselves comfortable.”
“Yes, Septus” said Odin and Anna in unison, we’ll make sure we clean up quickly.
Septus left the engineering area. Anna and Odin went to the store room and unloaded their equipment before disappearing to get showered and changed.
“I don’t think we need to attend the de-brief” said Tulley.
“I think you are right” replied Sven “mind you, we know what happened already so what more is there to know?”
“I guess so” replied Tulley “and we are just engineers after all.”
“Exactly” replied Sven “and the longer it stays that way, the better.”
“Yep” replied Tulley “so how long do you reckon it will be before I can work on the engines?”
“Judging by what I have seen, I would expect that Septus will find some time very soon” said Sven “he is a practical captain and having things operating at peak efficiency would be high on his agenda.”
“Good” said Tulley “I am itching to get my hands on them.”
Sven smiled and checked his console. There was a light flashing on his command screen and he clicked on it to discover that there was a homing beacon attached to the ship.
“Drake, we have a homing beacon on the hull of the ship” said Sven.
“Affirmative” replied Drake “the captain has been informed… I have located the device. It is forward of the port engine nacelle.”
“Tell the captain that I can remove it if he stops the ship” said Sven.
Moments later The Cheerful Drake slowed to a stop.
“You may proceed” said Drake.
Sven immediately transformed out of his clothing and into a crystalline state. He dashed to the airlock and went through the process of shutting the internal door, equalizing pressures and then opening the outer door. He left the ship and ten minutes later had returned to engineering with the disabled beacon.
“Captain, I have disabled and retrieved the homing beacon” said Sven “please could you come to see it… you may know where it may have come from.”
Septus arrived in engineering a short while later and as soon as he saw the device knew where it had come from.
“Drake, why wasn’t this picked up before?” he asked.
“My protocols have not been set to automatically monitor all systems” said Drake.
“Who needs to do that?” asked Septus.
“The operator” replied Drake.
“I can sort it out, captain” said Sven “we will have a chat about it and decide what you want and I’ll input the requirements.”
“Thank you, master Sven” said Septus “I suppose there were always going to be teething troubles with such a new ship.”
“So… the homing beacon” said Sven “where is it from.
“It is from Telsia” said Septus “the place we bought the ship from.”
“Why would they monitor your vessel?” asked Tulley.
“Who knows?” replied Septus “but I think we will be paying them a visit soon.”
“Why?” asked Tulley.
“They know where we’ve been” said Odin “and we can’t have that.”
“Is the beacon correctly disabled?” asked Septus as he studied it.
“Yes it is and I will download the data stream to see what information it has been sending back to its owner” said Sven.
“Good. Let me know when you have done it” replied Septus “but please dress before you continue with your work.”
Sven had forgotten that he was still in a crystalline form. He also realised that he had neglected to cover himself like he did on the demonstration and quickly formed underwear to correct the failing.
“My apologies, captain” said Sven “I will sort things out.”
“Good” said Septus, please bring your findings to the bridge when you have them.”
Septus left engineering and Sven could hear Tulley laughing.
“What?” asked Sven as he transformed himself back into his clothing again.
“Septus is a bit prudish, isn’t he?” she replied, smiling broadly as she did so “I wouldn’t have expected that.”
“I think it has more to do with standards” replied Sven “and my perceived nudity.”
“Oh… you were definitely nude” beamed Tulley.
“Okay… I’ll agree… but it is a bit of a grey area” replied Sven.
“No, it was a lot of a crystal area” said Tulley who giggled as she spoke.
“Tulley, you are incorrigible!” replied Sven as he adjusted his clothing.
“I know” replied Tulley and she continued with her work.
“Now then, what secrets do you hold?” said Sven as a small probe grew from his finger tip and transformed to match the socket in the homing beacon.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 17
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »
“You were correct, Septus” said Sven “it is from Telsia.”
“What information have you extracted from it?” asked Septus.
“It has purely been sending co-ordinates every half an hour for the last three weeks, nothing more” replied Sven “but that is still unacceptable.”
“Agreed” replied Septus.
“The signal was always sent to the same receiver” continued Sven “and I have traced it to the ship yard where The Cheerful Drake was made.”
“I think we will pay the ship yard a visit” said Septus “after miss Tulley has had an opportunity to tinker with the engines.”
“That sounds like a plan” replied Sven “where will we dock?”
“I think that Charran will suit our needs perfectly” said Septus “you will have time to improve the engines and collect any belongings you need before we travel to Telsia to investigate.”
“Thank you captain” said Sven “I will let Tulley know.”

“I’ve let Elradar know we’re coming” said Tulley as they walked from The Cheerful Drake towards a waiting shuttle.
“Do you think the ship will still be there when we return?” asked Sven.
“Definitely” said Tulley and she produced a small component from her pocket “The ship won’t move without the CIU.”
“You are a marvel, babe” said Sven and he pulled her close while they walked.
“I know” said Tulley who beamed.

Elradar was not at the palace but Doorman looked after them. They thanked him profusely and made sure that they had collected everything before they took the return shuttle. When they returned to The Cheerful Drake, they spent an hour or so unpacking and then they both set to work upgrading the engines. As usual, Tulley started ripping things to pieces, while Sven downloaded the schematics and operation manuals.
“What is this?” said Tulley; holding up a small odd-shaped component.
“That is the fuel-flow control unit” said Sven.
Tulley dropped it in the drip tray and buried her torso into the engine casing again before reappearing and asking “what’s this then?”
“That is the ignition unit” replied Sven.
“These engines have tiny components” said Tulley “no wonder the efficiency is so low.”
“Big doesn’t necessarily mean efficient” said Sven.
“I know but when it comes to fuel, and vaporiser components it does… usually” replied Tulley “I’ve found the lubricators to the main bearings are clogged so I’ll unclog them to make the rotors turn smoother… the IGV motors are running slowly, there seems to be an extra resistance in the line… probably a dodgy earth.”
Tulley was in her element and Sven loved to watch her work. As much as he adored the childish Tulley that lived on The Obituary, he felt much more comfortable adoring the mature one in front of him. He thought it was amazing how Tulley could change personality without changing at all.
“Oi! Pay attention!” said Tulley “what’s this?”
“That is the ion filter” replied Sven “and I was paying attention… just not to what you were saying.”
“Good” replied Tulley who bent into the engine again; making sure that she gave her bottom a wiggle in the process.”
Sven smiled and waited for her to emerge again.
“There!” said Tulley; grabbing a rag and wiping her hands before producing the component to show Sven “have a look into this, would you?”
Sven took the component from her and noted that it was an electronic actuator. He altered his focus to look inside the component and immediately noticed that one of the soldered joints was dry. He changed his focus again and a beam of light sprung from it and heated the joint to re-melt the solder and improve the conductance.
“Try that, babe” said Sven.
Tulley took the component from him, plugged some test cables into it and checked the resistance “that is much better” she said.
“Good” replied Sven.
Tulley disappeared into the engine again and then popped back and forth; collecting the components from the drip tray and refitting them.
“One down; three to go” said Tulley and she refitted the final panel before tearing off the first one for the next engine.
After six hours, Tulley had finished with the engines and was ready to run the diagnostic checks. Sven helped her connect the test set and they spent a further hour running through system and performance checks. When they had finished, Tulley was extremely happy.
“I’ve never managed ninety three percent before!” she squealed “that’s my best ever.”
“Well done, I’m sure the captain will be very happy” replied Sven.
“Of course he will” replied Tulley “the engines will give an extra seventeen percent power and the speed will shoot up.”
“You should go and tell him” said Sven “I’ll crack on with Drakes protocol adjustments.”
“Okay” said Tulley and she left engineering.
Sven sat at his console and opened up the ships computer protocol screen.
“Drake?” asked Sven.
“Yes, master Sven?” replied Drake.
“I am about to adjust your protocol settings. Please could you shut down for me” said Sven.
“It is done” replied Drake and Sven watched the screen to monitor the shut-down process. After a few seconds, Drake was off line so Sven began to update the protocols to include various extra monitoring duties. A few minutes later, he had finished and was ready to switch Drake back on.
“The captain is very happy and wants to get underway as soon as possible to try out the engines” said Tulley who had just returned to engineering.
Sven switched Drake back on and waited for him to update his processes “Good, I’m glad he was happy… we’ll be able to get underway once Drake is back up to speed” he said.
“Septus also said that we didn’t need to sabotage the ship before we left…” said Tulley “but he was impressed at our efficiency.”
“Good” said Sven “at least we know where we stand.”
Tulley put her arm around Sven’s shoulders as he sat at the console and peered at the screen. She just wanted to be close to him and took any excuse to do it.
“Do you think we could upgrade the food system at all?” she asked “I think the crew needs a bit more variety.”
“I think we could sort something out but lets get the ships main systems fixed up first” replied Sven “then we’ll have more leverage to get our own way.”
“Good idea” said Tulley and she kissed his cheek before wandering over to her tool kit to make sure that all of her tools were cleaned properly.
“Drake, run a system check please” said Sven.
“System check in progress” replied Drake.

“Captain, we are ready to proceed when you wish” said Sven.
“Thank you” replied Septus. He looked out of the front screen and thought for a moment before saying “Drake, prepare to depart and set a course for Telsia.”
“It will be done” replied Drake and almost immediately, the sound of the docking clamps releasing could be heard.
“Once we are clear of the traffic, I’d like to see how well the engines work” said Septus “Drake please arrange for a full test.”
“It will be done” replied Drake.
“Odin, how should we proceed with this?” asked Septus.
“We’ll wear Mr and Mrs Brown and pay the foreman a visit to ask questions” replied Odin “it would be handy to take a robot with us as well… like a servant.”
“Are you suggesting that Sven should join you?” asked Septus.
“I think he will be needed to extract the information from the computer” replied Odin “it will also help him to become part of the crew.”
“Are you sure it is really necessary?” asked Anna “I am more than capable of downloading the information and disrupting the data that they have.”
“It would also be an added defensive measure” replied Odin.
Anna looked at him imploringly but Odin just smiled “don’t worry, dear. Sven is a good character… no harm will befall us at his hands unless Tulley is in danger.”
“I hope you are right” replied Anna.
“I will talk to Sven” said Septus “prepare yourselves for the visit.”
“Yes, captain” they both replied before leaving the bridge.
“Sven, please come to the bridge” said Septus.
“On my way” replied Sven.

When Mr and Mrs Brown turned up at the shipyard foreman’s office they were accompanied by a matt grey reploid.
“Hello there, masters” said the foreman “I see that you have returned in your beautiful ship… how may I be of assistance?”
“We have a small number of concerns regarding the systems on board” replied Mr Brown.
“Really? I am sure that when you took the vessel, everything was running smoothly… and that was over thirty days ago so your warranty will not cover things… assuming you haven’t already invalidated the warranty by making adjustments” said the foreman.
“One of the systems was only running at seventy percent” replied Mrs Brown “and that is most unacceptable.”
“As I have already said…” started the foreman.
“And we were curious as to why you felt the need to track our ship” said Mr Brown abruptly.
“Track your ship?” asked the foreman who, unseen by Mr and Mrs Brown, pressed a panic button under his desk.
“That was not a wise thing to do” said Sven “you should not have alerted your staff… this will go badly for you now.”
“But…” said the foreman who had stood up and backed away from them.
“Feth!” said Mrs Brown as she looked out of the window “we need to quieten things down, Mr Brown.”
Mr Brown walked towards the foreman and said “I’m sorry about this” before injecting him with a sleep drug. The foreman slumped to the floor.
“I’ll sort the computer” said Anna and she immediately set to work extracting information and installing a virus.
“I will deal with those” said Sven and he stepped out of the office to confront the five security guards who had turned up.
“How long?” asked Mr Brown.
“Another three minutes should do it” replied Mrs Brown.
“Good, I don’t want to stay too much longer because I can see things getting very busy soon” said Mr Brown.

Sven faced off against the security team and made a note of all the weak points in their armour. Each of the guards had a pistol drawn and was pointing it at Sven.
“Stop! Hands up! Don’t move!” shouted the nearest guard and Sven did as he was asked.
“What are you doing here?” asked the guard.
Sven said nothing and the guards became more insistent so he pointed to his face and shook his head; suggesting that he couldn’t speak.
“Charlie, nip in and check the office” said the lead guard. Charlie ran towards the office but as soon as he was within reach Sven lashed out with an arm; striking Charlie in the chest and throwing him into the lead guard.
“Fire!” shouted another guard and everyone started shooting.
Sven remained where he was impassively and the rounds just bounced off him. A moment later the shooting stopped and Sven looked at each of the guards in turn before saying “it is unwise to continue this line of action.”
The guards looked at each other and backed away. The lead guard began to climb to his feet. When he was standing he said “get Tubbs.”
One of the guards pressed a button on his cuff and Sven had an ominous feeling about it.
“You’ve done it now, robot” said the leader.
“Mr and Mrs Brown, time is of the essence” said Sven and he got the reply “one more minute.”
Sven looked around and noticed that there was a heavy vibration emanating from the decking. He looked over towards a partially finished ship to see a large construction robot stamping towards him.
“Feth” thought Sven “I’ll need to draw that away and silence the guards.”
 “We’re done” said Mr Brown.
“Good… now get to the ship as fast as you can” said Sven “I’ll keep the beast company.”
The office door burst open and Mr and Mrs Brown dashed out; firing pistols at the guards. All five of the guards dropped to the ground so Sven turned all of his attention towards the construction robot. He quickly pin-pointed all of the weak points and a blaster formed on his right arm. “Here we go” he said as he dashed towards the robot.
“Hello Tubbs!” shouted Sven as he leapt quickly between the robots legs and fired a single shot at his hip joint. The joint immediately buckled and the robot fell heavily. Sven had to leap clear as a barrage of heavy rivets flashed past him but managed to avoid them and fire a single blast at the robot’s head. The blast struck home and the robot’s sighting units were destroyed. Sven got to his feet and ran up to the robot; climbing onto the large power unit that was attached to the rear of the torso. He calmly switched his blaster to a power blade and plunged it into the unit, shorting out the robot’s power source causing it to instantly cease moving. Sven jumped from the robot and dashed back to the ship and almost as soon as he was on board, The Cheerful Drake departed. Septus smiled to himself as the ship left the yard “most impressive” he thought.

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 09:28:11 AM »
1. I don't trust Septus.

2. I like Tulley's new grown-up character. Although she's a lot like Jela.

3. Sven is in danger of being overly powerful.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 02:41:11 PM »
1. :mrgreen:
2. At the moment ... But Sven is Thorred and he is likely to like the same personalities, isn't he?
3. :mrgreen:

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 18
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 10:51:36 AM »
The information that was retrieved from the computer was pretty straightforward. Every ship that left the dock was fitted with a tracker so that mileage could be measured for warranty purposes. There seemed to be no more sinister reasons so Septus was happy that things could now move on.
“Why did you kill the guards?” asked Sven.
“We didn’t” said Odin as he climbed out of the robot Mr Brown.
“We stunned them, that is all” said Anna.
“Oh” replied Sven “good.”
Almost as soon as Sven was aboard, he quickly reverted to his preferred form and dressed. He felt a little sad about changing to his older, obsolete form for the job and wanted to forget all about it.
“You have some pretty impressive moves for an engineer” said Odin “where did you train?”
“I was in the military for a while… I trained on the home-world and carried out many actions off-world” replied Sven.
“I didn’t know the Grymn had robot forces” replied Odin.
“They don’t” replied Sven “not any more… I am the last.”
“What happened?” asked Odin.
“They were destroyed during an invasion attempt” said Sven “if you’ll excuse me, I have things to do.”
“Of course” said Odin “thank you for your help today.”
“You are welcome” replied Sven “but I won’t be making a habit of it.”

Sven went to engineering and joined Tulley. He was deep in thought about what had happened and realised that there was much more to The Cheerful Drake than met the eye. After being on a task with Odin and Anna, he was in a better position to judge them and he now knew that they were both extremely efficient operatives. He also realised that he was going to get drawn into a line of work that he had hoped he had left behind. Sometimes he really hated having so much power at his disposal because he always felt overly responsible for those around him because he always knew he was able to look after them.
“What’s up, puppy?” asked Tulley “you’re off with the Father.”
“Sorry, Tulley” replied Sven “I just didn’t enjoy the job.”
“Never mind… at least you can say no when you want to” said Tulley “you were hired as an engineer, after all.”
“I hope that is the case” replied Sven “but I can see that I will become more and more ‘helpful’ as one of the operatives.”
“I can break the engines and make it so that you are the only one who can fix them if you like” replied Tulley and she hugged him.
“That won’t be necessary” said Sven “I will have to stand my ground… but thanks for the offer.”
“Cheer up… I made you this” said Tulley and she handed him a small cloth patch “it’s just like mine.”
Sven took the patch and immediately recognised the design as the same as the dragon on the hull of the ship.
“Thank you” replied Sven.
“I’ll stitch it on for you later” said Tulley “we are now properly part of the crew.”
“For now” said Sven.
“For a while yet” replied Tulley “it is just teething pains… you’ll settle down again once you know your place. I have mine already so I can just get on with things but you are still finding yours… but things will sort themselves out.”
“I hope so” said Sven “things were far simpler aboard The Obituary… I had my brother to help me adjust.”
“I miss them as well” said Tulley and she rested her head on his shoulder “but we have to move on… Drackus will never change his mind.”
“Thorred would make a good operative” said Sven.
“But Jela would never join him on this vessel” replied Tulley “The Obituary is a much safer ship than this one and she wants to start a family.”
“You have changed a lot” said Sven.
“For the better, I hope” replied Tulley.
“No… and yes…” replied Sven.
“What do you mean by that?” she asked abruptly and she stood away from him with a scowl on her face.
“I miss the innocent Tulley but adore the grown up one” replied Sven.
“You are a silly puppy!” said Tulley as she grinned broadly and hugged him again “I’m just Tulley and I always will be.”
Sven smiled and hugged her back. After all the internal questioning he had been doing, this was the first time that he knew he had made the right decision. He hugged Tulley tenderly and felt much better.
“I would move mountains for you” said Sven.
“Well… you can start by helping me with the water processing unit” replied Tulley “you can work up to mountains later on.”

The Cheerful Drake plodded along slowly towards an asteroid belt on the edge of a nearby sector. The ship was going slowly to allow Tulley and Sven to investigate the various systems that were currently running at reduced efficiency and after the success of the engine upgrades, Tulley was keen to keep up the momentum.
“That is it, captain” said Tulley proudly “we’ve got all systems running at above ninety percent now.”
“Excellent work” replied Septus “are you happy for us to proceed normally now?”
“Yes” replied Tulley.
“Thank you” said Septus and the comms went quiet.
“He doesn’t say much, does he?” said Tulley with a frown.
“I think that he finds it difficult” said Sven “his mouth is different to ours and I think he has trouble shaping sounds.”
“Oh” replied Tulley.
A moment later, Septus arrived in engineering and wandered around before saying “it all looks the same.”
“It would do” replied Tulley “the modifications have all been internal.”
“I was expecting a mess of wires and bolted on components” replied Septus “I am very pleased that this is not the case.”
“We always try to improve things not mess them up” replied Tulley.
“Do not misunderstand me” replied Septus “my last mechanic was not as… accomplished as you two obviously are. He was less inclined to make things neat.”
“Thank you” replied Tulley and Sven noticed that she blushed slightly at the obvious compliment “I don’t like mess.”
“Good” replied Septus “we will be travelling to one of our bolt-holes shortly for a recharge so you will have an opportunity to get your land legs again.”
“Where is that then?” asked Tulley.
“It is in the East” replied Septus and he left engineering.
“That was nice” said Tulley.
“That is the first time I have ever heard an impromptu inspection referred to as nice” replied Sven.
“He didn’t need to come and chat” replied Tulley.
“You’re right” replied Sven “but he did need to come and check up on our handiwork.”
“No he didn’t, we always do a good job” replied Tulley and she crossed her arms defiantly.
“We know that… but he didn’t” said Sven “be thankful that we are up to his standards.”
“You are just being sneaky now” said Tulley “he seems a nice captain.”
“For now” replied Sven.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:55:26 AM by Inso »

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 19
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »
Since the ship had undergone a series of modifications at Tulley and Sven’s hands, the captain was keen to test them out so the ship was being put through its paces on the trip to the bolt-hole. By the time they reached the dock, the captain was very impressed with the improvements that were made and made his feelings known to the two engineers. After the ship was properly docked, Septus gathered everyone together for a brief.
“We are at the bolt hole and will be meeting other members of the team. Tulley and Sven, you will not know anyone here so I suggest that you join Anna and Odin until you learn a few faces” said Septus “the ship will be serviced by the dock staff so you are free to explore while the ship is at rest.”
Septus looked at each of the crew and said “you have forty eight hours before the ship will be closing its hatch to leave but you are free to use the facilities either on the ship or in the dock as you see fit. The time is fifteen-hours-ten in five, four, three two, one, SET!”
Everyone set their time pieces and then the four Grymn left the ship for a tour. Septus remained on board.

Odin left Anna to show Tulley and Sven around and disappeared off towards a rather official looking building in the dock area.
“He’s off to the guild office” said Anna “he always likes to catch up with the missions that our different teams carry out and the guild has all of the data files. Part of coming to the bolt hole is downloading data.”
“Why is it called the guild?” asked Tulley “the guild of what?”
“We are all part of a larger team and because we are fairly secret, we have chosen to be known as the guild” replied Anna.
“How many teams are there?” asked Sven.
“Over a hundred” replied Anna “but we all have different roles. There is an administrative team that looks into corruption, for example.”
“I am surprised that we have been allowed to enter this place so quickly” said Sven “we’ve barely arrived.”
“I wouldn’t worry about that” replied Anna “we already know all about you both.”
“Do you?” asked Tulley.
“Drackus took you aboard The Obituary because you had no where left to go so he treated you as a daughter” said Anna “and you were instrumental in the destruction of a hybrid incursion on Porphys.”
“So knowing that, you think it is safe to bring us here?” said Sven.
“Where?” asked Anna “you have not been given the coordinates and have not been shown the route.”
“It would be easy for me to find out” replied Sven.
“But in searching, you would highlight yourself as a problem” replied Anna.
“Would I now?” asked Sven “is everything so black and white with the three of you?”
“Generally speaking, yes” replied Anna.
“I’ve just noticed that there aren’t any alien races here” said Tulley “is this just a Grymn thing?”
“Apart from Septus, there are quite a few alien races in the guild but they are generally local to their regions unless they have a role aboard a star-ship” said Anna “we found that humans are too greedy by nature so we have relatively few of them in the guild but other races are very useful depending on what roles we need to fill.”
“Was I employed because I was a mechanic?” asked Sven “or because of other things?”
“That is for Septus to answer” replied Anna “but I would suspect that your wider specialities may have helped the application.”
“So… by joining the ship, we join the guild?” asked Tulley.
“Yes” replied Anna.
“Is there a badge?” asked Tulley.
“There is a symbol but it is not to be shared” replied Anna and she looked at Tulley with a raised eyebrow.
“I wasn’t going to share it” said Tulley. Anna looked at Tulley’s coveralls and pointed at the dragon.
“So you weren’t thinking of doing that then” replied Anna.
“No… well… maybe” said Tulley “but I won’t now. It’s just that… if I’m in a club, I want to know what the club emblem is otherwise there is no reason to be in the club.”
“It isn’t a club” replied Anna “it is the guild… an association.”
“So a club then” replied Tulley and Sven could see her digging her heels in and he saw the old Tulley again.
“I… well… I suppose so” said Anna “but no badges.”
“Okay, no badges” replied Tulley and she grinned.
“There is the guild symbol” said Anna and she pointed to a small plaque that was set away from the path.
“A shield with a pen and sword on it?” said Tulley “it’s not very exciting, is it? I expected a dragon or an assassin or something.”
“Well… it is what it is, I suppose” replied Anna “shall we go to get something to eat or would you like to visit the store?”
“Is there just one store here?” asked Tulley and Sven knew that she was in full flow now.
“Yes” replied Anna with a sigh.
“Oh… well I guess it won’t take long to look round then” said Tulley “lets go there first and then we’ll get something to eat.”
“This way” said Anna and she sped away.
 Tulley and Sven followed her and Sven turned to Tulley and said “stop playing with her.”
“I’m not playing with her” said Tulley innocently “I’m just finding things out.”
“You’ll find out how hard she can punch if you aren’t careful” replied Sven.
“Ohhh… I don’t think it will get that far” said Tulley with a mischievous grin. Sven smiled and held her hand as they both tried to keep up with Anna.

The store was a place where you could find the bare essentials of normal life and all sorts of specialist kit for adventuring. There were the usual fatigues, overalls and underwear in the clothing section but little else. The footwear tended to be boots or safety shoes and the toiletries seemed to be ex-military issue. There were a few items that looked out of place, namely confectionary and pharmaceutical items that were branded but the rest looked like something you would get from a military store. Everything was free to take away so Tulley took the opportunity to get another couple of overalls and two pairs of safety boots for her and Sven.
“I would advise you to find a side arm and holster” said Anna.
“Why would that be?” asked Tulley.
“You never know when you will need to protect yourself” said Anna.
“I have Sven for that and he doesn’t need a pistol” replied Tulley.
“He may not always be around and he may also need to appear like a normal Grymn… and turning his arm into a blaster may be a little bit of a giveaway as to his origins” said Anna.
“Okay” said Tulley with a shrug “where do they keep the guns?”
Tulley and Sven were shown to a corner of the store that had shelf after shelf of various weapons. When they arrived, a smartly dressed, female Grymn appeared.
“My name is Ingrid. What can I provide for you today?” she said.
“Hello, Ingrid” said Tulley “I need a pistol today… one that can protect me.”
“Well, we have a range of pistols to suit all situations” replied Ingrid “may I ask whether you are familiar with the use of a firearm.”
“Yes, you may” replied Tulley. Ingrid paused for a moment before asking “have you used a pistol before?”
“Yes, a while ago but I may be a little rusty” replied Tulley “is there somewhere to try the thing out before I choose one?”
“Certainly… and may I suggest this one for you” said Ingrid. She picked a small machine-pistol from the rack and loaded a clip of flechettes into it before saying “if you would like to follow me?”
They all walked around the rack and to Sven’s surprise, there was a multiple lane gun range set at the back of the store.
“The safety catch is here… and I will selct single shot for now” said Ingrid as she passed Tulley the weapon. Tulley twisted her wrist back and forth and tilted the pistol forward before walking to the nearest lane; as directed.
“What do I point at?” she asked before a light came on at the far end of the range where a target that looked like a human torso was standing.
“Please fire at the indicated target” said Ingrid so Tulley took aim before firing ten steady shots. Sven couldn’t help but smile at her because when she fired, she stuck her tongue out between clenched lips in concentration.
“There!” said Tulley and she put the safety catch on. The target appeared at the firing point and Sven had to stifle a laugh. Nine holes made a smiling face on the head of the target with the tenth round piercing the marker for the heart.
“It’s a bit heavy… do you have anything a little lighter?” said Tulley and she handed Ingrid the pistol.
“Yes madam, I’ll get it for you now” said Ingrid and she walked off.
“You are a good shot” said a surprised Anna “where did you learn to shoot like that?”
“I just learned” said Tulley with an innocent smile that suggested she was not going divulge her secret.
“This one might suit better” said Ingrid when she returned and handed Tulley the pistol.
“Thank you” said Tulley and she addressed the lane, sent the target away and got ready to fire. Once she had finished, the target returned and there was a neat grouping of ten rounds in the dead centre of the torso.
“Yep… this one will be fine” said Tulley “does it come in purple?”
Ingrid looked at her strangely before realising that Tulley meant what she said.
“Purple?” said Ingrid “I can get you a purple one if you wish.”
“Excellent” said Tulley “and I’ll need a matching waist holster with an additional shoulder holster… and a thousand loads to go with it.”
“I’ll sort that out for you once I have dealt with your associate” replied Ingrid.
“My lover” said Tulley cheerfully.
“I’m sorry?” asked Ingrid.
“He’s my lover, not my associate” said Tulley and she hugged Sven’s arm. Sven would have been scarlet if he had decided to give himself the correct programming but he had to stop himself laughing when she grabbed him.
“Oh… um…“ said Ingrid as she looked around “and what would sir require today?”
“I require a Ballistic Genii 938 with full auto, grenade accessory and open sights” replied Sven “I also need a shoulder and waist holster, a thousand loads and fifty grenades… plus a cleaning kit and lube.”
“Oh… I’ll need a cleaning kit and oil as well” said Tulley.
“What… colour would sir like?” asked Ingrid whilst looking towards Tulley.
“Standard gun-grey would be perfect” replied Sven “with black holsters.”
“Excellent” said Ingrid “is there anything else you require today?”
“Do you have rail rifles?” asked Tulley.
“Yes, madam” replied Ingrid “would you like to try one?”
“No… I was just curious” said Tulley and Sven could see she was in full swing. Ingrid paused for a moment before saying “I will go and select your items for you.”
Ingrid walked away and Anna asked “why do you want a purple firearm?”
“I like purple” replied Tulley “It reminds me of a friend I have.”
A moment later, Ingrid returned with all of the items and Tulley was amazed that there was a purple firearm in amongst them.
“You had a purple one already?” she asked.
“Madam is not the first person to ask for a purple firearm” replied Ingrid “will that be all?”
“Yes, thank you” replied Sven before Tulley could say another word.
“Then, good day and I hope you enjoy your purchases and use your firearms responsibly” said Ingrid before she disappeared behind the shelves again.
“They’ve even packed it all into a leather bag” said Tulley “I’m impressed. I think I’ll do all of my weapon shopping here from now on.”
“I am sure they’ll like that” said Anna sarcastically.
“So… what’s next?” asked Tulley; ignoring Anna’s tone.
“Food” said Sven “I am hungry so could you show us where we can eat please?”
“Yes, Sven” replied Anna “This way… it is quite a bland looking place but the food is quite excellent.
”Perfect” said Sven “I am looking forward to some Mead and a decent meal.”
“I’m sorry but you will find no mead here” said Anna “the guild does not approve of alcohol.”
Sven stopped walking and stared blankly at Anna before saying “you are joking… aren’t you?”
“No. It is guild policy” said Anna “alcohol impairs judgement.”
“I wish I’d known that before” said Sven.
“Would it have changed your mind?” asked Anna.
“No… but it may have prepared me better for the shock” replied Sven.

“You were right, Anna” said Tulley “the food is quite excellent.”
“They have been here for an awful long time and quickly realised that the food needed to be excellent or they would get a hard time” replied Anna “and there are much grumpier guilders here than us.”
“We need to get something like this aboard The Cheer…” started Tulley.
“SHHH!” said Anna “please; no ship names.”
“Why?” asked Tulley.
“It is unlucky in this place” said Anna.
“Oh” replied Tulley “well we need to get better food aboard the ship then.”
“The food is adequate” replied Anna.
“No… the food is basic and boring” replied Tulley “we need a better food module.”
“We won’t be able to get one here” replied Anna.
“Then we’ll get one from somewhere else” replied Tulley “we need better food because I want better food.”
“I am not sure that the captain will approve” said Anna.
“He’ll have to” replied Tulley “or the ship may start misbehaving due to my boredom.”
Anna stared at Tulley, opened her mouth to speak but thought better of it.
“Is there somewhere to stay in the dock?” asked Sven “for couples?”
“Yes” replied Anna “there is a pretty standard hotel facility with a mix of rooms.”
“Brilliant” said Sven “could you show us where it is and we’ll pop back to the ship to get a few things before checking in.”
“My pleasure” said Anna and after a quick glance at Tulley, she stood up and led them to the hotel.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 04:11:22 PM by Inso »

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 20
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »
“You have been a complete minx today!” said Sven when they finally threw their bags on the sofa in the hotel room “I felt quite sorry for Anna today.”
“Why?” replied Tulley innocently “I treated her better than she treated me.”
“You didn’t have to torture her quite as much as you did” said Sven “I thought she was going to shoot you at one point.”
“I’m sure she’ll survive” said Tulley with a big smile on her face “are you going to run a bath? There are bubbles here and everything!”
Tulley stepped out of her boots, allowed her coveralls to drop to the floor and stood in front of Sven wearing just her pink, silk, knickers and bra. She leant up against the door frame and cocked her hip suggestively.
“I’ll let you wash my back” she said.
“Why didn’t you say that sooner?” said Sven and he walked past her into the bathroom; gently patting her bottom as he passed.
“Make sure you put lots of bubbles in!” said Tulley.
“Of course… anything else, madam?” asked Sven.
“Just you” replied Tulley and she joined him in the bathroom before closing the door behind her.

The forty eight hours flew by and when Tulley and Sven returned to the ship, it felt like they had never left. Anna, Odin and Septus were already on board and almost as soon as everyone was present, Drake released the docking clamps and began to manoeuvre the ship away from its berth. Once everyone had stowed their kit, they were told to gather on the bridge for a brief.

“You will have noticed the skimmer in the cargo area” said Septus “it is there so that we can carry cargo across the surface of our next stop; Varga 7.”
“What are we collecting?” asked Odin.
“We are retrieving a piece of stolen architecture” replied Septus “a bell weighing approximately one and a half metric tonnes.”
“What terrain are we expecting” asked Odin.
“Arable farm land” replied Septus.
“Have the briefing packs been uploaded yet?” asked Anna.
“Yes, they have been assigned” said Septus.
“I am not required for this task, I assume” said Sven abruptly.
“You assume correctly” replied Septus “Your skills will be required on board the ship, as will miss Tulley’s.”
“Thank you, captain” said Sven.
“Odin, Anna, you have around forty two hours to absorb the brief” said Septus “that is all.”

When The Cheerful Drake made planet fall on Varga 7, the area they chose to land in was shrouded in darkness. Septus skilfully landed at the edge of a forest so that there was room for the skimmer to leave whilst The Cheerful Drake’s silhouette was broken up by the trees behind it. Odin and Anna were not disguised this time and were wearing combat gear and webbing. They were also well armed and had plenty of extra equipment stowed on the skimmer. Almost as soon as the ship touched down, the interior lights of the ship were extinguished, the ramp lowered and the skimmer departed. Once the skimmer had gone the ramp closed and the interior lights were put back on. All of the blast shields on the ship were closed so that no light escaped. Septus remained on the bridge and monitored events.

After three hours, there was still no word back from Anna and Odin and Septus had started tapping the desk beside the console with impatience.
“They should be here by now” he thought. He was just about to stretch his many legs when the comms burst into life.
“Captain, we’re in bound” said Odin “Mrs Brown has been injured, cat 2. The cargo has been collected. There are four chasers. HOT!”
“Received” replied Septus “Sven, prepare to defend the cargo area we have four enemy approaching and they are heavily armed. Extinguish the lights, get the ramp open and prepare to repel boarders.”
“Yes, captain” replied Sven through the comms.

The ramp lowered after Sven had made sure that Tulley was out of harm’s way and the lights were out. Sven stared into the darkness and adjusted his vision to night-sight. In the distance he could see the skimmer racing towards the ship and following close behind there were four hover-bikes. He watched for a moment and saw that the skimmer was able to keep them at bay but was being fired upon with energy weapons. Sven undid his overalls and rolled them down to his waist; making a belt with tied together sleeves and walked off to one side of the ship. He was already bare-foot so he didn’t need to worry about damaging his footwear when claws erupted from his feet to securely anchor him to the ground. He braced himself and held out both arms in front of him and they quickly turned into large cannons. Sven watched the skimmer as it screamed towards him and targeted the following bikes. He fired both of his weapons and two of the bikes burst into flames as the blasts struck home. Sven hoped that the other two would retreat but they kept coming so he fired again. Another bike was engulfed in flames and to Sven’s relief; the last bike turned tail and fled. The skimmer dashed past Sven and into the ship; jamming on the air brakes as it ascended the ramp. Sven scanned the distance to make sure everything was safe before his feet and arms returned to normal and he followed the skimmer into the ship; closing the ramp behind him.

“Drake, get us out of here and set a course for the nearest bolt hole” said Septus “you have the ship.”
Septus made his way purposefully towards the cargo area and picked up a medi-pack on the way. When he reached the skimmer, Odin was busy removing Anna’s webbing and opening her jumpsuit to reveal the injury she had sustained. Septus threw him the medi-pack and went to the front of the skimmer to inspect the bell. He ran his feelers over the surface and noted that it was undamaged.
“Excellent work” he said before he promptly returned to the bridge.
Tulley stood back and watched as Sven leapt into the skimmer to help Odin with Anna. Anna had an energy burn that pierced her side and seared the flesh. She was unconscious but a quick scan showed that her vital signs were strong.
“Pass the quick clot” said Odin and Sven did as he was asked. Odin carefully poured the powder into the wound and it began to fizz as it sealed the hole. Anna flinched as the powder did its work but remained unconscious.
“We should be able to move her now” said Odin.
“Where do you want her?” asked Sven and he spread his fingers into a supporting stretcher and carefully lifted Anna from the skimmer floor.
“In our cabin” replied Odin.
Sven stretched his leg to meet the floor of the ship and smoothly stepped from the skimmer with Anna safely supported in his arms. He allowed Odin to catch up and followed him into his cabin. Tulley watched as they departed and didn’t move. She had a confused look on her face and seemed to be rooted to the spot.

“Tulley, Tulley!” said Sven once he had returned from Odin’s cabin “Are you alright?”
“Was she alright?” asked Tulley “she isn’t dead is she?”
“No Tulley, she will be fine… she’ll just have a nice scar to show off” replied Sven. He looked at Tulley and she was ashen faced so he put his arms around her.
“Would you like some tea?” he asked.
“He didn’t even look at her” said Tulley.
“What?” replied Sven.
“Septus. He didn’t even look at her to see if she was alright” said Tulley “he was only interested in the bell.”
“Maybe he doesn’t like the sight of blood” said Sven.
“I don’t think he cares, you know” said Tulley “he is just interested in getting the job done. Drackus would never be like that.”
“I’m sure there is an explanation” replied Sven.
“Can I have some tea now?” asked Tulley.
“Of course, come and sit down and I’ll get you some” replied Sven. He led Tulley over to the engineering console and sat her in the chair. He went over to the boiler and sorted out some herbal tea and returned to see Tulley crying.
“What is it babe?” asked Sven and he put the tea down and hugged her to him.
“I miss Joo’an and Fran and Jela and Sally…” said Tulley and she sobbed onto Sven’s chest “Drackus was a nice captain… and sig sang rude songs and Chook was a real dragon…”
“I miss them all too; especially my brother” said Sven “but we can’t go back, it would never work out.”
“I know… but I still miss them all” said Tulley as she wiped her eyes on a sleeve “and it hurts”.
“If you can tell me how to fix it, I will do it… you know I will” said Sven “but I can’t see a way of sorting it out.”
“I know” replied Tulley and she breathed heavily before making Sven relax his grip on her so that she could reach her tea. She took a sip and Sven saw how vulnerable she looked. He could feel his heart breaking as he watched her sipping her tea; her face red and blotchy as a result of her tears.
“If you don’t like it here, we can sort out a different ship” said Sven.
“No… it’s alright” replied Tulley “we’ve just got here… I’ll stick it out for a while.”
“Okay… but you know you only have to say the word” replied Sven.
“Thank you” said Tulley and she continued to sip her tea.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 21
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 10:58:26 AM »
After lunch on the following day, Anna gingerly made her way to engineering and Tulley helped to make her comfortable on one of the softer seats. Anna thanked her and managed a smile even though she was obviously in pain.
“Have you had any medication?” asked Tulley.
“Yes, just enough to take the edge off” replied Anna.
“Does this sort of thing happen a lot?” asked Tulley.
“Not really but more often than I’d like” replied Anna and she stifled a laugh because her side hurt.
“Would you like some tea?” asked Tulley “Sven makes a mean cup of herbal tea.”
“Thank you, I’d like that” replied Anna.
Tulley disappeared, found Sven and got him to make enough tea for the three of them.
“I’m sorry I didn’t help but I find it very difficult” said Tulley “since my friend died.”
“Don’t worry” replied Anna “we all do our bit and this is a fine cup of tea.”
Tulley smiled and sipped her tea. Sven noticed a shift in her temperament and was happy to see that Tulley was warming to Anna and it seemed Anna was trying to make friends as well.
“Do you ever go shopping for nice things?” asked Tulley.
“Well… you seem to have just work stuff” replied Tulley “You always wear combats and overalls.”
“I suppose I like to keep the ship and home separate” said Anna “when I have my leave I go home and can relax. That is where I keep all of my nice things.”
“You have a home?” asked Tulley “you don’t live on the ship?”
“Yes, of course I have a home” said Anna “I couldn’t live on a ship all the time, I would burn out.”
“Oh” replied Tulley.
“Don’t you have a home anywhere?” asked Anna.
“No… I don’t” replied Tulley “I’ve always lived on a ship.”
“Oh, I’m sorry” replied Anna “I didn’t know.”
“I didn’t want to join the army so I was kicked out by my parents” said Tulley “you already know that Drackus took me in. It never occurred to me to get another home.”
“Well… if you want to, I’ll have a chat with Odin and see if you can come and stay when it is our next leave” said Anna “if you’d like to?”
Sven watched Tulley and could see that she was about to explode.
“You’d do that? For me?” said Tulley.
“And Sven, of course” replied Anna.
“I’d love to stay with you!” said Tulley and as she launched herself towards Anna, Sven managed to prevent her hugging Anna and causing her pain.
“Well, I’ll talk to Odin and we will get our house-sitter to prepare a guest bedroom” replied Anna.
“So what is your house like? Is it big? Does it have gardens?” asked Tulley “do you have a transport? What about pets?”
Sven decided to leave them to their conversation and went to find Odin. He was in his cabin but welcomed Sven in.
“Thank you for your help, friend” said Odin and he offered Sven a warrior handshake which was duly returned.
“Think nothing of it” replied Sven.
“We are not used to receiving help aboard Septus run ships” said Odin “it isn’t his way.”
“What do you mean?” asked Sven.
“He doesn’t think like us… as far as he is concerned, we are just tools that can be replaced” replied Odin “he is a proud captain who thinks only of the mission and nothing else.”
“That would explain the food system then” said Sven and they both laughed.
“So? why the visit? Do you have something on your mind?” asked Odin.
“I am afraid that Anna may have invited us to stay with you on your next leave” said Sven “I thought I’d give you a heads up before you get the shock later.”
“Why would I get a shock?” asked Odin “it would be a great idea!”
“I know Tulley can get excitable” replied Sven.
“It will be good to have guests” said Odin and he slapped Sven on the shoulder “it will be a good opportunity to try out the cellar.”
“The cellar?” asked Sven.
“Oh, you’ll appreciate the cellar” said Odin “There is mead from all over the galaxy down there.”
“I thought the guild didn’t approve of alcohol” said Sven.
“They don’t dictate to me what I do when I am on leave” said Odin “everyone needs down time.”
“I guess so” replied Sven “when does leave happen?”
“We get five days off after every five missions or one month; which ever is the soonest” said Odin “we also get leave when the ship is in for repairs and every year we get twenty days off over the Father time.”
“I didn’t know we got leave” said Sven “I may have to get a planet-side residence for me and Tulley.”
“I think that you will need one otherwise you’ll have to stay in hotels all the time” replied Odin.
“That is what we have always done before… apart from when we went to Charran; then we stayed in the palace” said Sven.
“There are guild homes, like ours, that are available” said Odin “they are near to the guild stations so that when the ship is in dock, you don’t have far to travel home.”
“I don’t know whether I would have the funds for a home” said Sven.
“What do you mean?” asked Odin “a home is part of the contract.”
“What?” asked Sven.
“The guild looks after its own” replied Odin “they will provide a home if you require one. When we get the bolt hole, I’ll get you the contacts for the bursar so that you can think about where you would like to stay.”
“Thank you” replied Sven. He was a little lost for words. He was beginning to realise the enormity of joining the guild and was a little concerned about what it could lead to.
“Tulley will be very surprised” said Sven.
“I doubt it” replied Odin “Anna would have told her by now.”
“Oh dear” replied Sven.
When Sven returned to engineering, he found Tulley and Anna chatting animatedly.
“We can have a free house!” shouted an excited Tulley when Sven approached “we even get a house sitter to go with it… and we can have a garden and even pets!”
“I’ve heard” replied Sven.
“And it’s all free!” said Tulley. She jumped up and hugged Sven.
Anna watched them both and it looked to Sven that she was grateful for the break.
“Yes… but we need to talk to the bursar to find out what is available and where we should live” replied Sven.
“You’ll have to find a residence on Trillian” said Anna “that is where me Odin and Septus live.”
“Maybe we can live near you?” asked Tulley.
“Maybe you can” replied Anna with a smile. She seemed genuinely happy that Tulley was so excited about it.
“We’ll be like a married couple!” said Tulley.
Sven knew what was coming next.
“Maybe we could even get married” continued Tulley and almost as soon as she said it she stopped speaking and froze. She looked at Sven with wide, stunned eyes and studied him for a response. The silence was palpable.
“Maybe we can” said Sven “but it will only been when I’ve asked you properly and at the right time.”
Tulley hugged him tightly and promptly bust into tears.
“You would marry me?” asked Tulley.
“Of course I would” replied Sven “but I want my proposal to be perfect.”
Anna sat and watched and marvelled at how well Sven dealt with Tulley.
“But I don’t want to rush it” said Sven “if I rush it won’t be perfect and I want it to be perfect.”
“I do too” said Tulley through her tears.
“We are nearing the bolt-hole” said Drake “docking will take place in thirty five minutes.”
“Thank you, Drake” said Anna “Tulley, could you give me a hand to get up?”
“Of course” said Tulley and she carefully helped Anna up from the seat before escorting her from engineering.
Sven sat down and let out a long sigh “I wonder if I can get married in one of the Father’s temples?” he thought “if Tulley wants to… I’m not sure what I would describe myself as… part Grymn, maybe?”
He looked blankly at the floor.
“Things were so much simpler when I was a reploid” he thought.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 22
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 03:37:45 PM »
When The Cheerful Drake docked, she was met by a medical team who took Anna away with Odin accompanying them. Moments later, the cargo ramp was lowered so that the skimmer could be retrieved by a member of the motor-pool. The sturdy looking Grymn checked all around the skimmer and tutted as he made notes of the damage before he climbed aboard and carefully piloted the vehicle out of the ship and away across the hard-standing. Tulley and Sven watched everything happen and then began to clear up but before they got too far, Septus arrived.
“Good work Miss Tulley, master Sven” he said “I would appreciate it if you could check the environmental unit on the bridge. It appears to be faulty.”
“Okay, captain” said Tulley “what is wrong with it?”
Septus looked at her and without a hint of sarcasm said “isn’t that for you to decide?” before he scuttled down the ramp and went towards the main guild office.
“He isn’t a people-person, is he?” said Tulley.
“No, I don’t think he even understands the concept of being a people-person” replied Sven “I’ll grab a tool belt."

The environmental unit on the bridge was clogged with what appeared to be a thicker version of spider web. It had been sucked in through one of the vents and was blocking the filter. It was the only place on the bridge that had any sign of webbing and Sven immediately suspected Septus of disabling it to keep them aboard. Sven reached into the unit and made tiny hooks sprout from the sides of his fingers so that he could gather the web more efficiently and after a couple of minutes it had all been removed.
“That is all of it” he said “try the power now.”
“Power’s on” said Tulley and they both felt the rush of air as the fans kicked in and began to circulate cool air around the bridge.
“Well, that is that” said Sven.
“Why didn’t Septus want us to leave?” asked Tulley.
“You thought that too?” asked Sven “I have no idea.”
Sven scanned the bridge and saw a file left open on the desk.
“It’s a test” said Sven “he wants to know if we are nosey or not.” He pointed at the file and said “look, he’s left it open on purpose.”
“Well, let’s go then” said Tulley and she walked off the bridge. Sven followed her and smiled to himself before he said “I’ve already told him that I could find out anything I wanted from the ship’s computer… why he would need to test me on the matter seems strange.”
“Maybe he wants to find out what you would do if the opportunity presented itself instead of you having to look for things?” said Tulley.
“Maybe… but it’s a bit devious, don’t you think?” reaplied Sven “we are Grymn after all.”

“The captain has reported that you may stand down for twenty four hours” said Drake “you are free to come and go as you see fit within that time frame.”
“Thank you, Drake” said Tulley.
“So what would you like to do?” asked Sven.
“I would like to go and have something to eat and a soak in a tub” replied Tulley “there isn’t much else to do, is there?”
“Not really” said Sven “are you wanting to get changed first or are we going out in work gear?”
“No point in changing… everyone else is in work gear” replied Tulley “these bolt-holes are boring.”
“We could always go and torture Ingrid again” said Sven.
“I suppose I could have a go with a rail-gun” said Tulley with a whimsical look on her face “but I’d rather have a nice meal instead.”
“Well, let’s go then” said Sven “I’ll just nip and get our toothbrushes and some fresh undies.”
“Well hurry up…I’m famished” said Tulley and she chivvied him along.

“Septus, it is good to see you again” said the android behind the desk.
“You requested an audience, sir” replied Septus.
“It has come to my attention that you have two new crew members aboard your ship” said the android “are you fully aware of the implications?”
“In what regards, sir?” said Septus “I know what the male is capable of and the female is a standard Grymn with a few behavioural issues but nothing more.”
“So you are aware that the male is the Crystal Guardian, saviour of Porphys?” asked the android.
“Yes I am” replied Septus.
“How did you receive this information?” asked the android.
“Captain Drackus Smith, of The Obituary informed me” said Septus “The Obituary was their last ship and I have been a comrade of Drackus for many years.”
“And you value his assessments and opinions?” asked the android.
“He is without question, a trustworthy ally” replied Septus.
“He is not in the guild” said the android.
“I only share what I need to with him” replied Septus “the guild’s secrets are secure.”
“The two crew members are efficient?” asked the android.
“They are very efficient at their primary task and have additional skills that make them useful in other areas” replied Septus “both are trained in the use of weapons and as you are aware, the male is extremely versatile.”
“You have been testing them?” asked the android.
“I have and they are not under any suspicion as a result of their responses” said Septus “they appear to be as stalwart as the rest of their race.”
“You will keep the guild informed of their progress” said the android.
“Yes, sir” replied Septus.
“You have the bell?” asked the android.
“Yes” replied Septus “Mrs Brown was injured during the recovery.”
“How long before she will return to operational status?”
“She is in the infirmary being assessed and treated” replied Septus “I will inform you as soon as I know the answer.”
“Make it so” said the android “You will leave now.”
“Thank you, sir” said Septus and as he left the office, he noticed the android power down and slump in the chair behind the desk.

Septus hated talking to the android interpreter of the high chamberlain of the guild. He wanted to see the face of the leader but no one else had so why should he be different? He had performed miracles with his crew and had accomplished tasks that no other captains could have possibly achieved and yet he never got the recognition that he craved. He paused as he scuttled towards the ship because his communicator was beeping.
“Septus” he said.
“Hello, Legs!” said Drackus “how are tricks?”
“Drackus!” replied Septus “it is good to hear from you again. Tricks are as good as they always are and I can’t complain.”
“Excellent” replied Drackus “how are things aboard the new boat? She’s no Star Cutter, after all.”
“I rue the day The Star Cutter met her match” replied Septus “but The Drake has a strong heart and an efficient crew.”
“So how are the mechanics getting on?” asked Drackus.
“They have improved the efficiency of all the systems and have been most helpful in defending us too” replied Septus “I am surprised that you let your sentiment blind you to their usefulness.”
“You would not understand, my friend” replied Drackus “but their replacements are almost able to fill their shoes.”
“That is good to hear” replied Septus “what did you wish to talk to me about?”
“I was wondering if you could help me with a small problem I am having locating a special brand of trinomic fuel” replied Drackus “I have been asked to obtain five tonnes of the stuff and the only place I can think of was destroyed recently by a volcanic event.”
“Please send me the details and I will see what I can do” said Septus “the usual contact is still available.”
“Thank you, Legs” said Drackus “I’ll send the details over straight away. Cheers!”
“Good day, Drackus” replied Septus and he ended the transmission and continued towards The Cheerful Drake.

“Drake, locate incoming data-file” said Septus as he got comfy in his seat on the bridge. He looked at the open file and studied it for a second before closing it. He tucked it away in the drawer and smiled to himself.
“Data-file located” said Drake.
“Analyse data and search for locations… use the guild system” said Septus.
“Searching” replied Drake.
Septus looked out of the front screen and tapped the table while he waited.
“There are four known locations that produce Trinomic fuel; Sentus, Grou’ald 4, Frelig and Proteus” said Drake.
“Please forward the co-ordinates to the sender of the data-file” said Septus.
“Drake” said Septus.
“Yes, captain” replied Drake.
“Did either of them touch the file?” asked Septus.
“No, captain” replied Drake.
“What was their response?” asked Septus.
“They viewed it as a test. Master Sven questioned whether it was necessary because if he wished, he could retrieve the information from the ship’s computer” said Drake “Miss Tulley suggested the test was about opportunity.”
“Did they know I blocked the environmental unit?” asked Septus.
“Instantly, captain” replied Drake “and they wondered why you were keeping them on the ship.”
“Thank you Drake” replied Septus.
Septus stared out of the screen again and thought for a while before making his way to the mess area for some pre-fabricated food.

“How are you?” asked Tulley.
“I am feeling much better now” said Anna and she lifted up her tee-shirt to show Tulley where her injury had been.
“It’s gone!” said Tulley.
“The medical facility here is truly excellent” replied Anna “and all of the pain is gone too.”
“That is brilliant” said Tulley “have you both eaten?”
“Yes, we got something on the go” replied Odin “we will be returning to the ship shortly.”
“Why? We’ve got twenty four hours… well about twenty now” said Tulley.
“We have had the next mission delivered and we need to return for a brief” said Odin “don’t worry, we’ll not be going anywhere until you return to the ship so take your shore time and enjoy it.”
“Thank you, we will” said Sven.
“Did you visit the bursar yet?” asked Anna.
“Not yet” replied Tulley “but he’s on our list.”
“She” replied Anna “the bursar is a she.”
“Oh… well we’ll make sure we visit her before we go to bed tonight.”
“Good. The sooner you get your name on the list, the sooner we can look at places to live” said Anna with a grin.
“I can’t wait!” squeaked Tulley as Sven just looked at Odin with a look of resignation across his face.
Anna and Odin walked out of the medical unit with Sven and Tulley before walking off in the direction of the ship.
“Shall we visit the bursar?” asked Tulley.
“Now is as good a time as any” replied Sven. He held Tulleys hand and they both went off to the guild office.

“Yes?” said the bursar and Tulley took one look at her and nearly popped. She was an alphoid and had a strong resemblance to Sally but was a lighter shade of purple.
“Are you the bursar?” asked Sven.
“That is what the sign on the door says” replied the bursar.
“You could be borrowing the office” replied Sven.
“Yes… I am the bursar. What do you want?” asked the bursar.
“Hello, I’m Tulley and I would like a home please” said Tulley and she stuck out her hand for a hand shake “and what is your name?”
The bursar looked at her for a moment, shook her hand and said “my name is Mildred… where would you like to live?”
Near to Odin and Anna on Trillian please” replied Tulley.
“Who?” asked Mildred.
“Mr and Mrs Brown from The Cheerful Drake” said Sven.
“Oh… number seventy-six” replied Mildred and she flashed up a line of dwellings on a large view screen; one of which was highlighted as number seventy-six. Mildred tapped a few keys and a number of dwellings went red leaving about twenty that were not highlighted.
“That’s your choice” said Mildred “what do you want from the property?”
“I would like a garden, two bedrooms and lots of space for a big dining table and a puppy” said Tulley.
“Would you like an additional bedroom for the house-sitter or would you prefer an annex?” asked Mildred.
“Will they be nice?” asked Tulley.
“Yes” replied Mildred “I am sure that the house-sitter will be nice.”
“Then an extra bedroom” said Tulley.
“What is a puppy?” asked Mildred “I can add a games room but a puppy is not listed.”
“A puppy is a pet; a small quadruped with fur” replied Tulley.
“Would you like the puppy to be installed or will you be providing the pet?” asked Mildred.
“We’ll find our own” replied Tulley “I’d also like a nice sized bathing room.”
“Could we have a vehicle store with enough space for a four passenger skimmer?” asked Sven.
“Yes” replied Mildred and she tapped a few more keys “would you like us to provide the skimmer?”
“Yes please” replied Sven. He watched the display and an off-shoot appeared with a selection of vehicles on it “that one please.”
“Would you like the dwelling to be furnished?” asked Mildred.
“Yes please” replied Tulley and a new off-shoot appeared “That style please but I want it purple.”
Mildred tapped a few more keys and the available properties had reduced to four.
“That one looks to be perfect” said Sven and he pointed to a house that was about ten away from number seventy-six “close enough to be friends but far enough away to be private as well.” He looked at Tulley and she nodded excitedly.
“Number sixty” said Mildred. She stood up, walked to a case on the wall and retrieved a pair of key-cards. She returned to the desk, tapped a few keys on a separate data-tablet and handed it to Tulley before saying “Touch the box.” Tulley did as she was asked and then Sven did the same.
“There you go” said Mildred and she handed them each a key-card “you are now resident in number 60. Have a nice day.”
“That’s it?” asked Sven.
“Unless you have any other requirements, your residence will be ready to occupy in six to ten days” replied Mildred “have a nice day.”
Tulley and Sven left the bursar’s office and retired to their room in the hotel.
“That was too easy” said Sven.
“I don’t care” replied Tulley as she removed her boots and put them beside the door “I have a home on a planet!”
Sven smiled and said “WE have a home on a planet.”
“Well WE need a puppy!” said Tulley.
“Well WE’LL have to wait until we get some leave before we think about that” replied Sven.
“Well… WE’LL just have to find something to do while we are waiting” said Tulley.
“Chess?” asked Sven with an innocent smile on his face.
Tulley put her hands on her hips and pretended to glower at him before she quickly stripped naked, spun around in a poorly executed pirouette and said “if you’d choose chess over me?”
“Chess it is then!” said Sven before a pillow hit him squarely in the face and he and Tulley began to wrestle playfully on the bed.
“Living in our own home is going to be great” said Tulley as she pinned him down.
“It will be even better when the Father approves us” replied Sven “seeing as you have me at a disadvantage, it must be your turn to run a bath.”
Tulley bent forward and kissed him before leaping off and walking to the bathroom suggestively.
“Don’t be too long… I might get bored” said Tulley before she closed the door behind her and the sound of water being run was heard. Sven stood up, morphed out of his clothing and went to join her but found the door locked.
“Why have you locked the door?” asked Sven.
“You just can’t be too careful nowadays!” said Tulley who was giggling from inside the bathroom.
“Well if that is the case, you’d better watch out” said Sven and he morphed under the door to join Tulley.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:38:35 PM by Inso »

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 23
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »
“We are going to Neptune to investigate piracy in the area” said Odin “it should be a relatively simple task.”
“By investigate, what do you mean?” asked Sven.
“There appears to be a small flotilla of fast scout-ships that are plaguing logistic craft” said Odin “we will dissuade them from their attacks by thinning their numbers to as close to zero as possible.”
“Oh, that sort of investigating” replied Sven “at least on our last ship we didn’t go looking for trouble… even though it always seemed to find us.”
“Well, for once, the captain will be taking the lead on this one because there should be no reason to leave the ship” said Odin “although I expect he’ll want the guns ready for action.”
“I will make sure they are test fired and ready” said Sven “I’ll system test the missiles and loader as well.”
“Good” replied Odin “I’d also advise you and Tulley to wear your side arms, just in case we get boarded.”
“We’ll do that” replied Sven “anything else?”
“Just make sure we can get power from the engines when we need to” said Odin “and strap yourselves in.”
“What will you and Anna be doing?” asked Sven.
“We’ll be with the captain, manning the guns” replied Odin.
“Good hunting” said Sven.
“Good luck” said Odin.

The Cheerful Drake sat motionless in space. The matt surface of her stealth coating didn’t even reflect the abundant starlight. She was completely powered down except for life support and the crew were on silent running orders. She drifted slightly but the occasional burst of retro rocket fire brought her back to bear. Her turrets were open and she was poised to pounce. A logistics freighter passed a thousand metres from the front of the Cheerful Drake’s bow and Septus was ready to react to any pirates.

Nothing happened.

Sixteen hours passed before another freighter passed the front of the watching ship. Again, Septus tensed for the attack but again, the ship passed by with no adverse attention. The next freighter was due in another ten hours so Septus stood the crew down for sleep after giving Drake orders to wake them if they were required. Septus remained at the helm and the rest of the crew went for sleep. They were woken eight hours later by a gentle alarm from Drake.
“The captain has detected a small fleet of vessels approaching the area” said Drake “please attend your posts.”

There were seven vessels. They were all fighters except for one; which was a freighter. They were flying in a tight formation and it appeared that The Cheerful Drake had not been detected by them because they flew right passed her. Each of the fighters had a delta shape and they each had a pair of ion cannons in the nose. The freighter had a pair of turrets with twin ion cannons in each. What made Tulley smile were the paint schemes on the ships. They were a motley mix of colours and had brash pictures and names across their flanks. Septus checked the data base and discovered that the ships were owned by the Shuurla; a secretive race that were renowned for thievery.
“We will wait for them to show their hand before we strike” said Septus into the comms “be ready.”
“Yes, sir” replied the crew.
An hour later, the next logistic freighter could be seen in the distance and all of the fighters powered down. Everything was silent before a beeping noise came from the console.
“Ahhh” thought Septus “the freighter is issuing a distress call; the usual actions of a decoy vessel.”
“Mr and Mrs Brown; prepare the guns” said Septus “Miss Tully; prepare to monitor engine power. Master Sven; monitor systems and damage control.”
“Yes, sir” they all replied.
The logistic freighter was closing fast. The fighters remained still. The freighter continued to issue the distress call. The Cheerful Drake waited patiently.
“Steady” said Septus “Drake, prepare for fast power up”
The logistic freighter was almost upon the waiting freighter when the fighters all powered up in unison.
“Drake, NOW!” said Septus “gunners, target the fighter’s engines.”
The Cheerful Drake burst into life as Drake smashed the power into her. The upper and lower turrets blazed and two of the fighters were stopped in their tracks. The engines roared to life as Septus lunged forwards; towards the enemy freighter.
“Fighter, seven o’clock high” said Septus and Odin acted instinctively; strafing the fighter across its belly with energy fire.
“Drake, sigma nine… power up the nose cannons” said Septus.
“Captain, there are no nose cannons” replied Drake.
“Of course not” said Septus “four O’clock level.”
Anna fired a quick burst from her turret and the indicated fighter burst into a ball of plasma before being extinguished. Suddenly the ship lurched as it was struck by ion fire and the control console lit up with cautions.
“Sven, damage control” said Septus.
“Just a flesh wound, captain. Systems normal” replied Sven.
“Gunners, watch the freighter” said Septus.
A wrecked fighter flashed passed as the rear turret fired.
“Who’s on the rear turret?” asked Septus.
“Sorry captain” replied Sven.
“Good shooting” replied Septus “maintain your primary duty.”
“Yes, sir” replied Sven.
“The logistics freighter has passed, captain” said Drake.
“Master Sven, prime the missiles and take out the remaining fighters” said Septus.
“Yes sir” replied Sven but before he had time to action the command, the ship was rocked by another blast and the console lit up with warnings and a buzzer sounded intermittently.
“Damage control” said Septus.
“We’ve taken severe damage to the port engine and I have had to close the blast shield to minimise air loss.”
“Can we still manoeuvre?” asked Septus.
“We have full power to starboard engine and all thrusters, captain” replied Tulley.
“Master Sven, launch missiles” said Septus and he heard the rumble of the rocket motors as the missiles left their firing tubes. He watched the screen as four missiles flew towards their two targets and smiled as the targets disappeared.
“Guns; target the turrets on the freighter” said Septus and he flew confidently towards the freighter that was now flying away from them with no fighter escort. Odin and Anna fired their guns and they all watched as the two turrets burst apart.
“Captain, the freighter is faster than we are under our current power levels” said Drake.
“Guns; target the engines” said Septus and he watched as the energy blasts swept towards the engines but were deflected before they struck home.
“They have shields, captain” said Odin.
“Master Sven, target the freighter’s engines” said Septus. He watched as two missiles flashed towards the freighter, only to be diverted at the last minute.
“More power to the engines” said Septus.
“There is no more power” replied Tulley.
Septus stared out of the front screen and watched the freighter disappear into the distance. He paused for a moment before saying “Drake, take us back to the fighters.”
“It is done” replied Drake and the crew felt the ship lurch as she banked round and set a course to return to the broken ships.
“Master Sven, scan for life signs” said Septus as they approached the stricken fighters.”
“One life detected” replied Sven “the life support is failing on the vessel.”
“Are we able to retrieve the ship?” asked Septus.
“Negative, captain” replied Sven “the rear ramp is damaged and the blast ramp has to stay in place.”
“Can we recover the pilot?” asked Septus.
“I can” replied Sven “with your permission.”
“You have it” replied Septus.

It wasn’t the first time Sven had floated through space to recover survivors and he was sure it wouldn’t be the last. His crystalline form slowly manoeuvred towards the fighter and he could see the cockpit gassing into the void. Sven punched through the hole with a single hand and expanded his arm to fully enclose the pilot in a crystal bubble before ejecting the cockpit and dragging him free. After a few minutes travel, the two of them were standing in the airlock, waiting for the pressures to equalise. When the inner door opened, Sven was met by Odin and Anna with their pistols drawn. Sven deposited the pilot on the floor and stepped back to allow Odin and Anna to take the pilot into custody before returning to where he had left his clothes and dressing.
“Drake, tell the captain that the prisoner is in custody” said Sven.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 24
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 03:00:22 PM »
“We’ll need a dry-dock for repairs” said Tulley “but everything should be fairly easy to fix as long as I have the materials.”
“We will go to the hold and the ship will be repaired for us” said Septus “you will liaise with the technicians to ensure that the work is done to the required specifications.”
“Me and Sven are the engineers” said Tulley “we can fix the ship.”
“No” replied Septus “You will liaise with the technicians at the hold and they will repair the ship. Those are my orders.”
“But…” started Tulley.
“Miss Tulley, I am the captain of this vessel” said Septus bluntly “you will follow my orders.”
“Yes, captain” replied Sven “Tulley, let’s go.”
Tulley glared at the captain before leaving the bridge and returning to engineering.
“Why aren’t we fixing the ship?” asked Tulley tersely “we can fix anything.”
“I know we can but if Septus wants the ship fixed at the dry-dock by the crew there, then it is his choice” replied Sven “and you can’t go questioning this captain in the same way you did Drackus.”
“Why not?” asked Tulley “a stupid decision is stupid no matter who it comes from.”
“That may be so but this captain will dump us at the nearest port and hire new engineers without a second thought” said Sven “he is not Drackus and will not bend on his decisions.”
“Then he’s daft” said Tulley.
“You may think so but if we don’t have faith in the captain, we shouldn’t be on his ship” said Sven.
Tulley stared at him for a moment before her shoulders slumped and she sighed.
“I suppose you are right” she said.
“I am sure there is a reason for the captain’s decision but in case you didn’t notice, he wants us to oversee the operation and make sure that it was done properly” said Sven “he has given us the responsibility of getting the ship fixed.”
“Yes… I guess so” replied Tulley.
“So stop mooching and lets get to work on the rear ramp” said Sven.
“I’m not mooching” said Tulley. And she followed Sven to the blast shield and stared through the armoured glass panel at the damage to the ramp.

The hold was a sight to remember. It was one of the biggest space docks that Tulley and Sven had ever seen and it was made up of row upon row of massive container-like structures. The Cheerful Drake was put in a holding pattern for a few minutes while Septus explained why they were there and once the details had been sorted, Drake received co-ordinates and piloted the ship towards one of the containers. As they approached, the front of the container opened and The Cheerful Drake slowly entered it. Once the ship was comfortably inside the container, the doors closed behind them and the lights illuminated to reveal a massive landing pad. Drake landed the ship carefully and lowered the ramp before checking the environmental levels in the container.
“The dock is safe, you may open the blast shield and exit the ship now” said Drake.

“WOW!” said Tulley as she walked from the ship; avoiding the damage to the ramp as she did so “this place is gi-normous!”
Tulley spun around as she looked from floor to ceiling and wall to wall “We could fit a hundred Cheerful Drakes in here!” she said.
“I am to report to Engineer Tulley and Sven” said a voice behind Sven and he turned to face it. Standing a few feet away was a small robot that looked like a dustbin on wheels.
“You have found them” said Sven.
“I am one, one, seven-six” said the robot “what are your requirements?”
“We need a structural survey of the ramp and port engine bay, full repair to the ramp, replacement of the port engine and repair to the port engine cowlings and supporting structure” said Sven “we also require a general surface survey and repair to any battle damaged areas that are found.”
“Working” said the robot and it began to chatter before going silent.
“What now?” asked Tulley.
“All non mechanoids please exit the dry-dock and report to the lounge” said a booming voice across the public address system.
“I guess we need to go to the lounge” said Sven “come on.”

The crew gathered in the lounge and Tulley gazed out of the large window at the ship below. The lights had dimmed in the dock and laser measuring beams could be seen criss-crossing the hull of The Cheerful Drake. Moments later, the floor erupted as multiple robot arms unfolded and began removing damaged components. Small wheeled robots dashed into the dock area from a host of doors that had appeared in the dock walls and they either carried away damaged parts or brought in replacements.
“Estimated time to completion is three hours, fourteen minutes, thirty four seconds” said a voice through the public address system in the lounge “please accept the hospitality of the lounge while you wait.
“You see, Miss Tulley?” said Septus “you would have trouble correcting the damage in such a short time frame.”
“Yes, captain” replied Tulley and she knew that he was correct “I have never seen a facility like this one before.”
“Time is money” said Septus “and time wasted is tasks not being completed.”
“Is this a guild facility?” asked Sven.
“No it is run by enforcement and border control agencies” replied Septus.
“How come we can use it then?” asked Tulley.
“The guild has contacts in many places” replied Septus.
“Would anyone like some tea?” asked Sven as he pressed buttons on one of the vending machines “there are snacks here as well.”
They all made their way over to check out the facilities and left Tulley gazing at the ship below.
“Here you go, babe” said Sven and he handed Tulley a cup of herbal tea.
“Thank you” she said and she rested her head on the side of his arm “it’s amazing, isn’t it?” she said as she watched the little robots dashing about and the large robotic arms repairing and replacing components.
“It is definitely quicker than we could have done it” replied Sven.
“It makes us look so small” said Tulley.
“We ARE small” replied Sven “but we all have our place in the universe.”
“You make better tea than this” said Tulley.
“Once they have finished we’ll have a good look around and make sure that the work isn’t the same standard as the tea, then” said Sven “I doubt that the modifications we made will have been replicated… we’ll have to instruct the robots to copy the other engine.”
“The scan would have picked up the modifications and they should be replicated automatically” said Septus “this facility is extremely efficient… but it would be prudent to check.”
“We will, captain” replied Sven.

“Work is complete. Please inspect your vessel” said a voice through the public address system and moments later, the door to the dock flashed green and opened a fraction.
“We will remain here while you inspect the work” said Septus.
“Okay, captain” replied Sven and he took Tulley down to the dock. One, one, seven-six was waiting for them when they arrived and he had a work docket for them.
“Work completed” said the robot and he handed Sven the list.
“Were the modifications that were on the starboard engine applied to the port one?” asked Sven
“Modifications were transposed” replied the robot.
Tulley and Sven went into the ship and started to check the work. Tulley removed a few panels to physically inspect the mounts and fittings in the new engine bay and Sven began to run system checks. After half an hour, they both agreed that the work was of a good quality so they left the ship and while Sven was dealing with one, one, seven-six, Tulley gave the thumbs up to the crew in the lounge.
“Your exit window is thirty minutes” said one, one, seven-six “thank you for your custom. Have a nice day.” He turned on the spot and disappeared into one of the little doorways in the side of the dock.
“Let us get underway” said Septus as he scuttled up the rear ramp and into the ship. The rest of the crew followed before the ramp closed and Drake began the start-up procedure.
“Captain?” asked Sven “with a repair facility like this at your disposal, why didn’t you repair your last vessel?”
“The cost of repairs exceeded the value of the ship” replied Septus “it had also become obsolete.”
“But you liked your old ship” said Sven.
“What does that have to do with it?” asked Septus “it was no longer fit for purpose and needed replacement. Now I have a faster, stealthier ship with more fire power and greater cargo capacity.”
“Did you not get attached to it?” asked Sven.
“No” replied Septus “I do not become attached to tools or equipment.”
“Drake” said Septus “let us depart.”

The dock area went dark for a moment before flashing amber lights could be seen. Sven watched his console to see the air pressure on the outside of the ship deplete to zero before the dock doors began to open. After a couple of minutes, The Cheerful Drake lifted from the landing pad on the floor of the dock and made its way into space. Once she was a couple of hundred metres from the dock, the massive doors closed and the dock became just another brick in the wall of similar looking containers.
“Maintain current speed and bearing” said a voice from the comms and the ship continued its steady process until it was clear of the facility.
“Thank you for visiting the hold. We trust that you are happy with our service” said the voice again “you may continue on your journey. Please come again.”
“Captain, can we bed the engine in please?” asked Sven.
“Yes, Master Sven” replied Septus “you have control of the vessel. Drake, ensure that there is a clear path for the tests.”
Tulley and Sven monitored the systems as they ran the engine up to full speed before carrying out slam checks and emergency shut-downs. After an hour of tests, the ship was returned to Septus’s control and the results of the tests were given to Septus.
“Excellent” said Septus “We can now continue with our work.”

The next job was a hostage rescue. A family member of one of the more senior members of the guild was being held to ransom and The Cheerful Drake was going to extract him and dissuade future attempts of similar crimes. Sven knew that meant making sure that everyone except the hostage, was killed.

“Sven, I would like to talk to you” said Septus “please come to the bridge.”
When Sven arrived, Anna and Odin were already there. Septus handed Sven a file and said “I have need of your unique skills on this job.”
“Captain, I have told you that I am here as an engineer not as an assassin” said Sven.
“You would not be an assassin on this occasion” replied Septus “you would be the rescuer only.”
“What do you mean?” asked Sven as he quickly scanned the file.
“All I want from you is for you to use your shape-changing abilities to gain access to the hostage and extract it” said Septus “the nasty business of tidying up will be Mr and Mrs Brown’s responsibility.”
“I am not happy about this” said Sven.
“I believe that your involvement will greatly improve the chances of the captive being rescued alive” said Septus “I would not ask you if I thought it wasn’t so.”
“In and out with no bloodshed?” asked Sven.
“For you, yes” replied Septus.

Three days later, Sven felt the heat on his crystalline body as he started the re-entry process. He had shaped himself into a teardrop to lessen the stresses of entering the atmosphere. The Cheerful Drake would be following him in a couple of hours but was standing off at the moment to reduce the possibility of detection. Sven could tell that he had nearly broken through as the rush of sound began to increase dramatically. He had lost the feeling of weightlessness and could now feel himself falling at tremendous speed so he slowly altered his shape to slow him down but maintain the same trajectory. Far below him he could see multi-coloured land masses set against the blues and greens of vast oceans. He further altered his shape to slow him down and he could feel that is was working so he thought of flight motors and they appeared on small vanes that protruded from the underside of his now disc-like shape. The vanes glowed blue and the plummet changed into a gentle fall. He continued to drop and wanted to get down to a low level before changing direction or form further. In no time he was only a few hundred metres from the ground so he slowed himself dramatically until he was barely twenty metres from impact and transformed himself into a perfectly camouflaged humanoid shape before gently landing on the grass along side a dwelling. He had already scanned the area for life signs and was happy that there was no-one around so after a brief pause, Sven checked his bearings and dashed off towards his target building.

“Captain, Master Sven has reached the surface and is two kilometres from the target building” said Drake.
“Excellent news” said Septus “Miss Tulley, please ensure that the engines are at peak capacity for the extraction.”
“Yes, captain” replied Tulley through the comms.
“Mr and Mrs Brown; prepare yourselves for the task” said Septus “we will be entering the atmosphere in one hour.”
“Yes, captain” they replied as the left the bridge together.

Sven scanned the building and its surrounding grounds. It appeared to be a mansion house of some description and there was a high wall surrounding the grounds with heavily armed guards at the gates. Sven studied the target for a few moments before transforming into a snake and slithering up to the wall away from the guards. He checked the foundations of the wall before burrowing under it and surfacing silently on the other side of the wall. He made sure that he maintained his perfect camouflage as he slithered across the grass using the flower beds and shrubs as cover. When he reached the wall of the building he scanned it for detectors and quickly found out that every window was rigged to an alarm. He looked around for a moment before small legs sprouted from all along his body so that he could scale the wall and in no time we had chewed through the eaves and into the attic. Further scans revealed the whereabouts of the captive so Sven slipped into the cavity between the wall surfaces and descended to the correct level. He scanned the room to find the captive desperately trying to pry open the window. There was no one else in the room.
“Here we go” thought Sven and he pushed his way into the room through the laths of a ventilation grate. As soon as he was in the room he transformed back into a Grymn and the captive spun around to face him.
“Who are you?” asked the captive and it brandished a spoon in Sven’s direction.
“My name is Sven and I have come to rescue you” said Sven.
“I hoped someone would come” said the captive and it stepped into the light to reveal a female, human child dressed in a night-gown and slippers.
“Is that all you have to wear?” asked Sven.
“Yes… they took me from my bed” said the girl.
“What is your name?” asked Sven.
“Maria” replied the girl.
“Well, Maria, let’s get you out of here, shall we?” said Sven and he scanned the room “have you ever ridden a pony before?”
“No” replied the girl.
“Well, you’ll enjoy this then” said Sven and he transformed himself into a pony “please climb on and get comfy.”
Maria did as she was asked and was startled when clamps sprouted from Sven’s back to gently hold her thighs in place and a restraint grew behind her to support her back. Sven scanned again and discovered that two people were approaching the room from the hallway outside.
“Hold on” said Sven. His face distorted and a cannon sprouted from his mouth. It fired once and blew the wall and window away. Sven leapt through the hole with Maria securely fastened to his back and dropped the two floors to the grass below. His feet glowed as the energy slowed him so that he landed gently before speeding off towards the nearest wall. Behind him, he could hear chaos as the guards discovered what had happened and moments later he heard weapons firing so he grew a shield that completely protected Maria from harm. He soon reached the wall and with a single leap, cleared it and dashed off down the road at incredible speed. After a couple of kilometres, Sven reached a small copse and diverted into it before allowing Maria to dismount and transforming himself into a fully camouflaged shelter for her. She hid inside and Sven kept an eye out for recovery. In the distance, he could hear heavy weapon fire and explosions.
“The Brown’s have arrived” he thought.

“Watch your seven” said Anna and Odin duly rotated on the spot and fired the rotary cannon of his battle suit. His target dissolved.
“You take the first floor” said Odin and he watched Anna ascend the stairs causing great damage to the marble as she did.
Odin checked his display and found life signs in the adjacent room so he powered towards the nearest wall and walked through it; grabbing one of the captors with his powered claw and splitting him into three parts. The other two were destroyed by cannon fire. There was a massive crash in the room next door closely followed by Anna bursting through to meet Odin.
“There are no more inside but there are plenty in the grounds” said Anna.
“Seal up. We’ll use flechettes” said Odin.
“Roger” replied Anna and the visor on her suit was covered by a blast shield.
They both walked towards the front wall and fired their rotary cannons before pushing through the remains and stomping out into the grounds to meet a firing line of security operatives. Odin smiled as he heard the patter of small arms fire on the armoured skin of his battle suit.
“Firing” said Odin.
“Firing” said Anna.
A small missile launched from the rear of each battle suit, rose about ten metres into the air and exploded. Instantly, the air was filled with a million shards of razor sharp metal that flew in all directions. Behind Anna and Odin, the wall was shredded and the front of the mansion collapsed. In front of them, the security guards burst into a mist of flesh, bone and blood.
“Life signs?” asked Odin.
“Negative” replied Anna “let’s get back to the ship.”
“We’ll rendezvous with Sven on the way” said Odin.

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 24
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 07:42:36 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 25
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »
“Excellent work” said Septus “please make sure that the guest is well looked after.”
“Thank you, captain. We will” replied Anna.
“You were very imaginative with your task” said Septus.
“It made sense” replied Sven.
“You are free to return to your usual duties” said Septus.
Sven said nothing and returned to the engineering area.
“Drake, set course for the Andorian bolt hole” said Septus “we need to dispose of the captive we collected from the pirate ship.”

Maria stared at Anna and asked “are you a little girl?”
“I am a girl and I am little; like you” replied Anna whilst smiling “but I am not a child… I am a grown woman.”
“But you haven’t grown up” replied Maria.
“I am not a human, like you” replied Anna “I am a Grymn and my people only grow this big.”
“Oh” replied Maria with a bemused look on her face.
“There are some of us who are very special” continued Anna “and they grow to be much bigger than even a human.”
“A giant?” asked Maria.
“Yes, you could say that” said Anna “twice as tall as a human and much bigger across as well.”
“Can they change into a pony as well?” asked Maria.
“No, I’m afraid not” replied Anna “Sven is very; VERY special… he is the only one I have ever met who can change like that.”
“Is he magic?” asked Maria.
“I am not sure” replied Anna “maybe you should ask him but before you do, let’s see if we can find you some better clothes to wear.”
“Okay” said Maria “will I be going home soon?”
“Yes” replied Anna “we just have to stop off on the way.”
“Good” said Maria.

The Andorian bolt hole was an exact copy of the last one they had visited. As soon as Tulley stepped off the ship, she was fascinated by the obvious similarities.
“It is weird, isn’t it?” said Tulley “we could almost be at the other one… it is identical!”
“I am sure there are differences” replied Sven “where do you need to go?”
“Anna asked me to get some clothing for our young guest” said Tulley “she would do it but Septus wants her to look after the girl while Odin drops off the prisoner.”
“Well, let’s go then” said Sven and they made their way to the only shop there was “I guess you have the sizes?”
“Yep” replied Tulley “but if the last shop was anything to go by, she’ll be getting regulation underwear, boots and combat fatigues!”
“I expect she’ll quite like that” said Sven with a smile “she’ll be playing dress-up!”

“Thank you, Mr Brown” said the swarthy security officer as Sven handed over the pirate “I take it that this was the only survivor?”
“I am afraid not” replied Odin “a freighter escaped.”
“That is regrettable” said the officer “at least we have someone to interrogate now… he will tell us everything we wish to know.”
“I hope so” replied Odin “are there handover notes to sign?”
“That won’t be necessary, Mr Brown” said the officer.
“Then I’ll be on my way” replied Odin “could you let us know what the out come is?”
“If it is relevant to us” replied the officer. He turned the prisoner and led him behind the tall counter and towards the cells. Odin just shrugged and returned to the ship.

“There you go, Maria” said Tulley and she handed the clothes over “They’ll be a bit more comfortable that the coveralls you have been given.”
“Thank you” said Maria as she gratefully accepted the clothing “Is Sven about?”
“He’s in engineering, why?” asked Tulley.
“I wanted to thank him for rescuing me” replied Maria.
“Well, get changed and I’ll take you to see him” said Tulley. Maria smiled broadly and dashed off to get changed.
“She seems amazingly resilient, doesn’t she?” said Odin as he appeared behind Tulley “I am surprised that she is being so rational.”
“I hope nothing bad happened to her while she was held captive” said Tulley.
“She wasn’t there for very long and I know that she would be infinitely more valuable to the kidnappers if she was well treated” replied Odin “but she was snatched from her bed in the middle of the night and whisked away to a far planet… that must be quite frightening.”
“Or exciting” replied Tulley “who is she?”
“I don’t know” replied Odin “as far as I can tell, she is the daughter of a guild member.”
“They must be high up for us to go and do this sort of job” replied Tulley.
“Not necessarily” replied Odin “theft of a guild child has political implications no matter how lowly the representative.”
“I guess so” replied Tulley.
“I’m back!” said Maria as she dashed up to Tulley and Odin “can we go now?”
“Of course we can” replied Tulley. She nodded and smiled at Odin and walked off with Maria who instinctively held Tulley’s hand.
“So… Maria… we meet again?!” said Sven “I see you have been recruited.”
“No… I haven’t” replied Maria.
“But you have your army gear on” said Sven “are you sure you haven’t been signed up?”
Maria looked at Tulley with a worried look on her face.
“Don’t worry, Maria. He is only playing” said Tulley “aren’t you Sven?”
“Yes” said Sven “sorry. So what can I do for you?”
“I wanted to say thank you for rescuing me” said Maria.
“You are welcome” replied Sven “but the captain flew the ship and Odin and Anna helped me out too.”
“But you came to save me” she replied and she threw herself at Sven and hugged him tightly. It was most unexpected and Sven had to catch himself or he would have tumbled backwards from his seat.
“Well I am glad I could help” said Sven and he managed to loosen Maria’s grip enough to see that she was crying “what is it, Maria… why the tears?”
“My daddy will be cross with me” said Maria “I didn’t lock my window.”
“I am sure he will just be glad to see you home” said Sven and he looked towards Tulley for some support.
“Yes, I am sure he won’t be cross… he’ll just want you to be safe” said Tulley.
“He will punish me for disobeying him” said Maria “and he’ll be right to.”
“I’m sure you won’t be punished” said Sven.
“Will you drop me off?” asked Maria and she looked Sven straight in the eye “you’ll look after me, won’t you?”
“Um… I’ll have to talk to the captain… I can’t promise anything…” stuttered Sven. Maria started to cry again and Sven looked imploringly at Tulley.
“Look, Maria” said Tulley “we’ll talk to the captain and we’ll try and sort things out, okay?”
Maria wiped her eyes and nodded “you promise?” she asked.
“We promise to talk to the captain” said Tulley.

“I am afraid that will be impossible” said Septus flatly.
“But captain, I have given my word that I will talk to the girl’s father” replied Sven.
“I am sure you did” replied Septus “but you are not in possession of all the facts. When the girl was abducted, her parents were slain. It is the guild’s opinion that the girl would have been used to gain access to her legacy and then terminated by her captors.”
“WHAT!?” replied Sven.
“I am afraid that she will be returned to her home planet and her legacy will be used for her upkeep in the orphanage” replied Septus “she has no living relatives but has inherited a small fortune; a percentage of which will be donated to the guild for services rendered.”
“So we are handing her to the authorities?” asked Sven “and washing our hands of her… even though we flew across space to rescue her?”
“Yes, that is correct” replied Septus.
“Excuse me, captain” said Sven with barely suppressed rage. He stood up abruptly and left the bridge with all haste. Septus carried on with his work without thought for Sven’s abrupt departure.

“That is terrible” said Tulley “she’s nine years old!”
“I know” said Sven sadly “but what can we do?”
“We could adopt her” said Tulley.
Sven looked at Tulley in shock.
“Well, we could” said Tulley “at least she’d have someone to look after her.”
Sven stared at Tulley before saying “and where would she live? Aboard this ship?”
“No, she can live in our home” said Tulley “I am sure that there are other guilders that have children to look after and I am sure the guild provide schooling and child-care for those of us who have to be away.”
“But we’ve only just met her” said Sven “and she is human, not Grymn… how will she get on with Grymn children?”
“Just the same as any other child… she’ll adapt” said Tulley “where would I have been if Drackus hadn’t taken me in?”
Sven paused for a while before saying “the adoption process may take a long time” said Sven “especially because we are not married.”
“That can be sorted quickly” said Tulley “Septus can do that for us and I’m sure the guild can rush through the adoption so that they can receive the payment you mention.”
“And you would do all that… just like that?” said Sven “without a second thought.”
“Of course I would, silly” replied Tulley with a hopeful smile.
“But I wanted our wedding to be perfect” said Sven “I thought that Charran, by the lake… in spring would be just the place.”
Tulley went over to him and hugged him tenderly. She kissed his forehead and said “the ceremony does not matter to me. I just want you and me to get hitched… that is all I want.”
“But…” replied Sven.
“We can always get a blessing from The Father at a later date on Charran” said Tulley “and it would be a good opportunity for Maria to meet our friends.”
As usual, Tulley had a way of making anything simple. Sven swore that she would be able to make the end of the universe bearable with just a few simple sentences.
“We have a week off after the next job” said Tulley “we can sort things out then.”
“But she hasn’t been told her parents are dead yet” said Sven “how is she going to react to that?”
“I don’t know” replied Tulley “but she’ll be able to cope better if she has people to look after her properly… and we have had our share of loss so we know how it feels.”
Sven could tell that he had lost the argument… not that it was ever an argument; Tulley was always going to explain Sven into agreeing with her.
“Septus will have to be told everything” said Sven “I really don’t think he will approve.”
“Well, it is worth a try” said Tulley.
“And this is REALLY what you want?” asked Sven.
“And a puppy” said Tulley with a broad grin.
“You just don’t know when you’ve won, do you?” replied Sven with a half smile.
“I don’t win” replied Tulley “we both do.”
“Wish me luck” said Sven “I am going to need it.”

Sven arranged to have a private chat with Septus and explained everything to him. Septus sat as emotionless as he always did and asked the odd question here and there while resting his chin on a pair of spindly forelegs.
“So the girl would remain on board until we have finished the next job?” asked Septus.
“Yes, captain” replied Sven.
“That would mean that we don’t have to divert from our duty to drop her off” said Septus “and you would free up the payment quickly, once you have ownership of the child?”
“We wouldn’t own her… she would be our daughter” replied Sven “but once we were able to, we would free up the funds.”
“And she would not stay aboard the vessel but would live on Trillian in your dwelling?” asked Septus “and would receive schooling there as well?”
“Yes” replied Sven.
“And in order to do this, I would have to bind you and Miss Tulley in marriage and the adoption process would need to be complete?” asked Septus.
“Yes… that about sums it up” replied Sven.
There was a brief pause before Septus spoke into the comms “Mr Brown and Miss Tulley; please report to the bridge.”
“What are you doing?” asked Sven.
“There will need to be a witness” replied Septus.
Moments later Tulley and Odin appeared.
“Odin, you will bear witness” said Septus “Miss Tulley, Master Sven please hold hands.”
Sven and Tulley did as they were asked.
“As captain of this ship it is my wish that you are bound in the ties of matrimony. Please bear your palms” said Septus. They did so and with a whip of his foreleg, he drew blood on Tulley’s palm and fluid from Sven’s. Septus noticed Sven’s shocked face and said “no one threatens me aboard my ship, Master Sven.”
Sven looked at his palm and it was already sealing up.
“Hold hands” said Septus and Tulley and Sven did as they were told.
“With my words of blessing and the mingling of life blood… you are married” said Septus “Apply your mark here.”
Sven and Tulley pressed their thumbs against the data tablet and Odin did the same as a witness.
“I have already contacted the administrators at guild HQ on your behalf” said Septus “with the completion of your marriage, the child is yours.”
“What?” asked Sven “you haven’t had time…I haven’t left the room… you couldn’t have.”
“I am sure you have noticed that I have more than one pair of legs and more than one pair of eyes” replied Septus “it was logical to seal the contract quickly so that we could get on with the next job.”
“Congratulations!” said Odin with a broad grin “You are now a married couple with a child.” Odin slapped Sven on the back and kissed Tulley on both cheeks “good luck telling your new daughter. I’m off to let Anna know the wonderful news.”
Sven looked at Tulley who was smiling happily “what have we done?” he thought.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 26
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2012, 08:50:22 AM »
Maria was stunned but accepted the news of her parents in a much more relaxed way than anyone would have expected. She simply nodded and asked what was going to happen to her.
“Well” said Tulley “we’ve sort of adopted you.”
“Oh” replied Maria “so Sven is my daddy now?”
“Yes… and I am your mummy” replied Tulley.
“Oh” replied Maria.
“I know it was sudden but we didn’t want you to be put in an orphanage so we adopted you” said Tulley.
Sven stood and listened to the absurdity of what was being said. They had foolishly rushed into something that he would never have contemplated, had he had time to stop himself. He looked at Maria and could see that she was milling things over.
“Will I stay on this ship?” asked Maria.
“Just until we finish the next job and then we’ll all go to our new home and get settled in” said Tulley.
“Will you be staying with me?” asked Maria.
“Not all the time but you will have a nanny to keep you company when we are not there” replied Tulley.
“Just like when I was at home” said Maria. She sat down on a chair and looked sad.
“What is it?” asked Tulley.
“There is space on this ship for me to stay in” said Maria “what if I don’t like my new home? What if I get scared? How are you going to look after me when you are away?”
“We’ll talk it through and see what happens” said Sven “we are all going to have to make adjustments but we can’t make any decisions yet until we have made friends and got to know each other… for starters, we need to get your things from your home and set things straight there.”
“I guess so” said Maria.
“Mr and Mrs Brown, report to the bridge” said the comms.

“He didn’t waste much time, did he?” said Tulley as she made sure the engine power settings were at the required level.
“Why would he?” asked Sven “we tidied things up nicely for him so we could move on.”
“Are you cross with me?” asked Tulley.
“Cross? No, of course not” replied Sven “I am just a little shell shocked by the suddenness of everything. It isn’t everyday you get married and become father to a nine year old human child, after all.”
“Do you think we made a mistake?” asked Tulley.
“I have no idea” said Sven “I really haven’t soaked it all up yet” replied Sven “but one thing is for sure.”
“What?” asked Tulley.
“We have to make sure that no matter what happens, the welfare of young Maria is our highest priority” said Sven “and then we have to decide on when we go to Charran for the blessing… and honeymoon.”
Tulley smiled broadly at Sven “I knew you weren’t cross” said Tulley “you are too wonderful for that.”
“I try” said Sven “are you okay babe… you look a little pale.”
“I’m alright” replied Tulley “I just feel a little light headed. It must be all the excitement.”
Sven watched her for a moment and then got back to his own system monitoring “I’m not surprised…it was all a bit sudden.”
There was a thud from behind him and Sven looked over to Tulley. She had slumped on the console and appeared to have fainted. He jumped up and dashed over to her and felt her pulse and checked her breathing. She had a rapid pulse and shallow breathing.
“Drake, tell the captain that Tulley has collapsed” said Sven.
“It is done” replied Drake. A moment later Septus asked through the comms “will systems be affected?”
“Systems are optimal” replied Sven “but I need help.”
“The mission is in progress” replied Septus “help will be received after the mission has been completed. Remain at your post.”
Sven said nothing, looked at Tulley and said “Drake, I need access to the medical computer files from the guild.”
“Accessing” replied Drake “Console one.”
Sven stretched an arm over to the console and inserted a finger into the info-port. He quickly found the medical files and put Tulleys symptoms into the search engine.
“Poisoning?” thought Sven “How? ...OH NO! …my blood.”
He placed his hand above Tulleys and concentrated hard. He could feel his cells moving through Tulley’s vital organs but no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t retrieve them. He fought hard but it was too late and he could sense that Tulley was fading.
“Don’t you die!” shouted Sven “captain, she’s dying!”
“She will receive help after the mission” replied Septus through the comms.
“NO, CAPTAIN!” shouted Sven “NOW!”
With a thought, power on the ship failed and the emergency lighting flashed on. There was silence for a moment before Septus burst into engineering and scuttled quickly towards Sven.
“How dare you mutiny aboard my ship!?” said Septus sharply “you will be terminated for this.”
“No…” replied Sven and his eyes blazed with fury “you will die if she does.”
Septus looked at Tulley. She was ashen and her breathing was so fast and shallow that he knew she was beyond saving. Sven thought he saw a glimmer of fear on Septus’s face and knew what was about to happen.

Tulley died in his arms.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:52:22 AM by Inso »

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 27
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2012, 12:03:19 PM »
Sven stood in the cargo bay of The Starfield. Maria was with him and she looked wide eyed but was otherwise relaxed. All that Sven had with him was a small, pink rucksack and he was wearing a neatly stitched badge with the name ‘Taters’ embroidered on it.
“I am amazed at your miraculous escape, Mr Taters” said the portly captain “it is not very often that anyone survives a plasma core explosion like you two did.”
“We seek safe passage” said Sven.
“Where do you wish to go? We are bound for Bloor and we cannot divert… we are a cruise liner” said the captain.
“Bloor will be fine” replied Sven “I am an engineer… I can pay for our fare with work.”
“That will not be necessary, Mr Taters” said the captain “You will eat with the crew and I will have a cabin made up for you both.”
“We will share a cabin” said Sven.
“If that is your wish?” replied the captain.
“It is… thank you, captain” said Sven.
“Then it is settled” said the captain “bursar, see these two to a spare cabin and make sure that adequate clothing and linen is found for them. Make sure they are properly briefed… they will be guests aboard our ship until we reach Bloor.”
“Aye, captain” replied the bursar with a salute.
“Mr Taters, I would like to invite you to the captain’s table for dinner this evening” said the captain.
“If my daughter can join us, it would be an honour” replied Sven.
“Then that will be so” replied the captain happily “twenty-hundred-hours, sharp.”
“Thank you for your generosity, captain” replied Sven before he and Maria were escorted to their cabin.

In the blackness of space, the wreckage of The Cheerful Drake span in perpetual motion as it drifted slowly through the void. The occasional spark was quickly extinguished by the vacuum of space as the remaining battery power slowly drained away. Amongst the wreckage were the charred remains of two Grymn and an arachnid. Every now and again a dull blue glow could be seen as the wreckage spun. There was still a small power source clinging on and it was linked to a clear crystaline casket. The dull blue glow shone around the body of a female Grymn in a boiler-suit, wearing Tulley on a name badge.

“How are you doing, Maria?” asked Sven as he sorted through the selection of clothing that had been brought for them both. He threw some linen trousers and a sweatshirt towards Maria and she caught them. “Nip into the bath room and put those on… you’ll feel more comfortable after a shower and a change.”
“How did we survive?” asked Maria.
“The Father was watching us” replied Sven.
“Who is the Father?” asked Maria.
“I’ll tell you once you’ve got cleaned up… off you go” replied Sven.
Maria disappeared into the bathroom and once he could hear the sound of running water, Sven sat abruptly on the side of the bunk and put his head in his hands “what have I done?” he asked himself. He pictured the scene clearly in his mind. He was glad that Maria was in her cabin when Tulley died because he had no control over his rage when it happened. As Sven heard the last beat of Tulley’s heart Septus died; vaporised in a gaze of plasma energy from Sven’s eyes. Odin and Anna burst in and saw what had happened but were too late to act as they were executed in the same way. Out of instinct, Sven sent a power surge through the computer, frying the systems and destroying Drake in the process. As soon as the computer systems went down, Maria appeared in engineering and took in the scene and Sven felt wretched as he saw her. He knew at that moment that there was one priority and that was to make sure Maria was looked after. It was what Tulley would have wanted.
“My Tulley” said Sven to himself as he stared into the palms of his hands.
“Don’t be sad, daddy” said Maria as she placed a hand on his shoulder.
“I can’t help it” said Sven “I have lost the love of my life.”
“I have been told that as long as someone lives in your heart, they live forever” said Maria.
“Thank you” said Sven and he hugged her.
“Who is the Father?” she asked.
“The Father was the first of our free kind. He alone, rescued all of the Grymn and took them to safety. We believe that he watches us all still and keeps us safe; watching our achievements and preparing our tome for when we join him in the void and he can tell our ancestors of our triumphs and failings” said Sven.
“Then he must have seen what happened to Tulley… mummy then” said Maria.
“Yes, he would have seen that” said Sven.
There was a pause before Maria said “I don’t think he’ll mind.”

Dinner with the captain was not as taxing as Sven had thought it would be. The food was excellent and he was far enough away from the captain to avoid any awkward questions. Maria sat at his side and remained quiet for the meal. When they both returned to their cabin and while Maria slept, Sven remained alert and thought about what would happen next. He was a member of the guild and had made a lot of promises that would have to be kept. He couldn’t run… he had to face up to his responsibilities. He knew that he would be required to account for what happened on The Cheerful Drake but he could explain that away as a plasma core explosion. He needed to sort out Maria’s legacy, pay the guild and sever ties.
“What about The Obituary?” thought Sven “I will have to let them know what has happened to Tulley. Drackus will want me dead.”

It was going to be a long night.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:32:00 PM by Inso »

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 26
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2012, 12:23:37 PM »
Tulley died in his arms.

:shock: :blub:

Who do you think you are? George RR Martin? :tantrum:

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 28
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012, 03:03:20 PM »
The Starfield was a large ship. The obituary and a dozen like her could have been housed in her cargo bay. There was space aboard for over a hundred-thousand paying passengers and an additional fifteen-thousand crew. There were shopping precincts, sporting arenas, swimming pools and all manner of entertainment centres. There were also the thousands of cabins that lined the sides of the ship; allowing a luxury, space-side view for every passenger. Maria was keen to explore but Sven was even keener to stay in their cabin until they reached Bloor but Maria was very persuasive.
“We have two weeks on board this ship” said Maria “and there are so many cool things to see. There is no way I am staying in the cabin for the whole trip.”
“We get a breather when we go for food” replied Sven “surely that is enough?”
“I want to go swimming and buy some nice clothes… and see a film at the digi-plex” replied Maria “we might as well… it is not as if we have to do anything.”
“We need to keep our heads down” said Sven.
“Why?” said Maria “no one knows us. We will just be other passengers. You just want to be sad on your own.”
Sven was going to argue but he knew that the nine year old girl was speaking more sense than he was.
“Tulley would not want to see you miserable… I would think” said Maria and she crossed her arms forcefully and stared at Sven.
“Where do you want to go first?” asked Sven and he also managed a weak smile.
“We need to get some better clothes and then we’ll go for a nice swim” said Maria.
“Okay” replied Sven and Maria quickly uncrossed her arms, grabbed hold of both Sven’s hands excitedly and pulled him up from his bunk.
“My old father would never have taken me out” said Maria with a broad grin “we are going to have great fun.”
Sven tried to believe her but all he could think about was the fact that he had killed his own wife; his beloved Tulley.

Tulley was good at shopping. Sven had been dragged from shop to shop for hours by her but she was no where near as good a shopper as Maria. Maria went into every shop and looked at every shelf. She tried on clothes and hats, bounced basket balls and tried out all of the virtual games. She tried the toffee on offer and the fruit drinks and even managed to somehow get a ride on a virtual surfing machine after persuading the shop assistant to un-pack it and power it up. Maria shopped so well that meal times came and went and there was no time for swimming. By the time they returned to their cabin, it was almost evening meal time and all Maria had bought was a swimming costume, a furry hat that looked a bit like an animal head and a pair of sensible but stylish shoes.
“Are you ready for some food yet?” asked Sven as he waited for Maria to put her new shoes on “you haven’t eaten all day.”
“Yep, I’m starving” replied Maria and Sven heard a thump as she jumped down from her bunk and began to flap her feet on the floor to try out her new shoes.
“These are super comfy” she said “you should have got some shoes instead of those boots.”
“I like boots” replied Sven.
“You look like a crewman though” replied Maria “I thought you wanted to look like a passenger.”
She had a point. Sven wanted to blend in but hadn’t really thought about how to do it.
“I’ll sort something out tomorrow” said Sven “now let’s go and eat.”
Maria grabbed his hand and they both left their cabin. Sven felt better than he had earlier and realised that Maria behaved similarly to the Tulley he first met when he joined The Obituary. He got comfort from her pleasant innocence and the way she always held his hand for reassurance. He realised that maybe Tulley was right about her rash decision…
… Then he remembered the day that everything changed and his heart sank again. He felt a sharp tug on his arm and Maria looked him in the eye “cheer up, daddy” she said “I’ll look after you.”
“Thank you, Maria” said Sven “but I think I’d prefer it if we just looked after each other.”
Maria beamed broadly and hugged Sven’s arm before saying “I hope there is salad for dinner… and fruit and cereal.”
“I am sure there will be all sorts” replied Sven and he smiled.

Unlike the previous day, when they got to the dining hall, Sven and Maria had to queue up for their meals. Once they had collected them, they found a small table and went and sat down. Sven went and collected some drinks and returned to see Maria eating ravenously.
“Careful you don’t eat your fingers” said Sven as he sat down and put the drinks on the table. Maria just looked up briefly and smiled at him before devouring more food.
“You, young lady will have three meals tomorrow” said Sven “you can’t starve all day and then pig out in the evening, it isn’t healthy.”
“Okay, daddy” she replied and she wiped the juice of a particularly succulent fruit from her chin “it’s just that there is so much to see.”
“We have two weeks” replied Sven “you told me so earlier.”
Maria paused for long enough to take a drink and sit back in her chair “I guess so” she replied.
“I suggest we go swimming tomorrow morning and then watch a film” said Sven.
“Can I wear my hat?” asked Maria.
“What? In the pool?” asked Sven.
“No, silly” replied Maria giggling “in the digi-plex.”
“I am sure that will be alright” said Sven.
“Can we get snacks too?” asked Maria.
“You can’t go to the plex without snacks, now can you?” said Sven with a smile.
“I am taller than you” said Maria.
“I know” replied Sven.
“My old dad was much bigger than me” said Maria “he was big and fat.”
“What was his name?” asked Sven.
“Father” replied Maria and she frowned.
Sven didn’t want to pursue the question so he said “you haven’t finished your meal yet.”
Maria blinked, realised where she was and continued eating. Sven ate his meal and enjoyed it just the same has he enjoyed every meal.

“Do you know any stories?” asked Maria as Sven tucked her into her bed.
“I know some” replied Sven “what do you want to hear about?”
“I want to know a Grymn story from when you were little” replied Maria.
“Okay” replied Sven.

Tyrus was a strong and powerful Grymn. He was unmatched in combat and was clever in wit. He was a great leader and rose to the heights of hold-master. It was the tradition that when a great warrior becomes a hold-master that all those in the hold may challenge him to make sure that he is right for the job. At the allotted time, four Grymn took the opportunity to challenge him.

The first challenger was called Bjorn and he was a massively built Grymn who challenged Tyrus to a wrestling match. The match took place and the hold-master used his wit to dodge the attacks of Bjorn and use his own strength against him; pinning him and winning the contest.

The second challenger was called Aaron and he was lightly built but sharp of eye. He challenged Tyrus to an archery contest. After ten arrows each, they were perfectly matched so a new target was brought out and the nearest to the centre would win. While the target was brought out, the wind picked up and Aaron didn’t take it into account so he didn’t hit the centre. Tyrus accounted for the wind and scored a dead centre, winning the competition.

The third challenger was called Jarl. He was another warrior Grymn of great strength and he challenged Tyrus to a test of strength. Jarl took the strain and pushed over a small dwelling with his shoulder. When it fell he threw his hands in the air in victory but Tyrus was too clever for him. He walked over to a nearby wagon and forced a long spear into the rear of the bed. Using the spear as a lever he pushed down with all his strength and lifted the front of the cart and the two beasts that pulled it, into the air. The crowd roared and Tyrus was pronounced victorius again.

Finally a small child walked up to Tyrus and issued a challenge. Tyrus laughed out loud and mocked the child; making it cry. Tyrus continued to laugh but the child wiped his eyes and said that his name was Bryn and he repeated the challenge. Tyrus stopped his mocking and agreed to the challenge in order to humour the child. Bryn set Tyrus the challenge of something beautiful. Tyrus smiled because he knew many beautiful poems and he read an ode with so much passion and tenderness that the audience were moved to tears. When he finished, Tyrus puffed out his chest and stared down at the small child believing the contest won. The small child smiled at Tyrus and handed him a tiny flower. It was so small that Tyrus could only hold it with two fingers and when he looked at it with its perfectly formed petals, and fragile stem and smelt the soft aroma that floated up from its tiny head, he thought of home and the hills and meadows where he had played when he was a child. He felt a tear on his cheek and realised that he wept for his past memories. He had truly been shown a thing of beauty and knew that he had been bested.

Tyrus raised Bryn on his shoulders and took him as a step-son; making his parents enormously proud.

From that day forward, Tyrus never mocked the weak and realised that all wisdom was worth something, no matter where it came from.

Sven looked down at Maria and she was fast asleep. He pulled her covers up to her chin and left her to dream. He sorted himself out for bed and lay awake thinking about the story he had told. It was odd how he remembered the thoughts of Thorred sometimes and this was no exception. He clearly remembered Thorred’s father telling him the tale after Thorred had got into a fight with a smaller child and had been soundly thrashed.

“All wisdom was worth something, even wisdom from a small child” thought Sven and for a change, he decided to power down for the night.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2012, 04:29:53 PM »
Just out of interest, who is reading this stuff?

Kev and Penfold... but who else?

Offline tremorspin

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
That is quite an indulgent question, but I am not against indulgences myself :)
Still here, still reading, still enjoying, still don't post very often.

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 07:14:11 PM »
reading here,  i havent found anything to complain abought, so im keeping me gob shut.
a happy dauber