Author Topic: historical miniatures that would sync with hasslefree figures  (Read 9993 times)

Offline parthvader

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Battles
does anyone know which historical miniatures would sync best with Hasslefree figures? -

the opposing army will be a Mantic metal elven force - i m looking for a good human army to use against them -

i already have a group of hasslefree human figures to form the core of this army (which fit in very well with the mantic elven archers and palace guard - the height match between the hasslefree humans and the mantic elves is perfect) so ideally i would like humans that would sync with hasslefree human figures - if possible with a middle-eastern flavour as i have already bought an elephant from Armourum and Auxilia -

someone in the mantic blog suggested perry miniatures and i was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how well these would fit in with Mantic elves and hasslefree humans - any feedback (especially negative) would be appreciated -

Offline Brummie

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: historical miniatures that would sync with hasslefree figures
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »
How do GW LOTR range compare. Maybe some Harad figures?

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:03:23 AM »
How do GW LOTR range compare. Maybe some Harad figures?

Good call there! Or maybe the Corsairs of Umbar? Or even combine the two.
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Hellboy - "Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Offline parthvader

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Battles
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:17:22 AM »
thanks for the suggestions - i m a bit reluctant to buy LoTR figures though, as they are expensive and i dont really want to hand over money to GW if possible... :lmao:

Offline Brummie

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:49:38 AM »
thanks for the suggestions - i m a bit reluctant to buy LoTR figures though, as they are expensive and i dont really want to hand over money to GW if possible... :lmao:

One word EVILBAY  :woohoo:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warhammer-LoTR-Warriors-Harad-x-25-Job-Lot-M005-/260791257671?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item3cb85eca47

for starters and theres loads going cheap at the moment
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:52:01 AM by Brummie »

Offline Klingsor

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:40:29 PM »
Mine are for use with Song of Blades and Heroes. At the moment it is Hasslefree Dwarves versus Otherworld pig-faced orcs but there are other factions in the pipeline. Crusader Normans and old Foundry Vikings for me. The former picked up at Salute almost on a whim but I really like them but I need more of them, the packs are probably great for army builders but a bit of a pain in the backside for skirmish gaming. The Vikings were an army bought years ago and found in a box in the attic which, while a bit embarrassing, was a nice surprise. Other armies my brother is working on include ancient GW wood elves and beastmen, which may be one force and some Immortal classical Greeks, centaurs and assorted mythological hybrids though they might defect to the beastmen - some of his orcs seem to be wearing Phrygian caps which make the Greeks work for us. Warlord Romans might get to put the caliga in as well.

Bear in mind that aside from the orcs and dwarves and a few stray elves (and guess who their boss will be) most of the miniatures are unpainted with many still unboxed and some still unbought. It is a good game and allows for small projects that can be finished. The problem is that ideas for other factions keep appearing and a spending spree at Salute did not help - "oh look a centaur, you can use that with the Greeks".

Offline fog99uk

• There's a 4 foot hight restriction don't ya know?
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 01:44:04 AM »
Immortal miniatures make Greek hoplites at 28mm if they're any good for you. - http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/models/plastic-models/immortal-miniatures/

there's also the 28mm range from HaT Industrie - http://www.hat.com/current28.html

Offline Klingsor

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 05:24:55 PM »
It is the Immortal plastic Greeks I have. I like them but I am not quite sure what to do with them so some skirmishing seems like a good idea. The game seems happy to accept almost any figures you can throw at it.

Of course I am now buggering around with SF at the moment, working on APCs for figures I do not have yet while ignoring APCs for figure I do have,  but I did get a peek in the box of the Wargames Factory skeletons and I must admit I was quite impressed and they have a Greek thing going on as well so I might pick up a box of them.

I like the 20mm armour from Hat but I had not been that impressed with what I had heard and seen about their 28mm figures.

Offline fog99uk

• There's a 4 foot hight restriction don't ya know?
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 12:10:07 AM »
Armourfast is now a separate division and operates separately from the rest of HaT Industrie. They are 1/72 scale. 20mm is not a scale, if it was it would be more like the smaller 1/76. A 20mm figure at 1/72 scale would be only 4 foot 8 inches tall.

The vast majority of 1/72 or 1/76 scale plastic figure manufacturers use cheaper moulding and cheaper materials that make the final product to shrink a lot. The 28mm figures they produce are better than the 1/72 figures because of their size, but they still use the cheap and often rubbery plastic.

The best 28mm plastic figure manufacturers are:
Victrix
Immortal Miniatures
Warlord Games
Wargames Factory

Victrix produce superb multi-part, hard plastic Napoleonic Wars figures. I have a load of the British ones to use as an Empire army in Warhammer and I want to use their French Old Guard (greatcoats) as alternative Imperial Guard.

Immortal Miniatures only do Greek hoplites in plastic at the moment but they are great quality, just don't look too closely at their feet.

Warlord Games are good quality and have a fantastic range of different eras. I think their Celts would make a really good fantasy army.

Wargames Factory are the poorest of the bunch but still pretty good. They have several nice sets that could work for a fantasy human army. Their Persians look ok but the kneeling legs are way too big; they make the figures just as tall as the standing ones. Their set of Amazons could give you some female warriors to work with.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and in case anyone's wondering. Valiant Miniatures produce the only good quality true 1/72 scale figures in plastic, and they are fantastic. The Focused Firepower development group does not use any other brand.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:55:00 PM by fog99uk »

Offline Sir Chiddlington-Smythe

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 11:46:36 AM »
I don't have any mantic stuff but I have been playing around fitting Hasslefree with the perry plastic War of the Roses kit. Here's a size comparison:

I think its a pretty good fit for scale. Not very middle eastern but I'm guessing the other Perry ranges would be similar in scale.

Offline parthvader

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Battles
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 06:46:51 PM »
thank you everyone for the suggestions - i have taken your advice and am going for Perry Miniatures Saracens and Warlord Celts

thanks!!

Offline ink the troll

• Dark Underlord
  • short, fat & ugly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 09:34:02 PM »
thank you everyone for the suggestions - i have taken your advice and am going for Perry Miniatures Saracens and Warlord Celts

thanks!!
For the warlord celts, have a look at northstar's bargains, 30 instead of 40 minis, but also a lot cheaper.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline parthvader

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Battles
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 07:03:47 PM »
Have done a scale comparison pic of a Hasslefree Villager (Barwench) to a Perry Miniatures Saracen, a Warlord Celt and a Mantic High Elf.

http://noquarterbattles.blogspot.co.uk/p/scale-comparison-pictures.html