Author Topic: Grymn Fluff - Eastward Endeavours Finished  (Read 16348 times)

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Grymn Fluff - Eastward Endeavours Finished
« on: June 29, 2012, 10:34:10 AM »
The Obituary meandered through space at a leisurely speed. The stars were reflected on her golden hull. The gentle glow from her engines lit up the soot and dirt that had collected on her rump from all the planet-side visits she had made but overall, she was in excellent fettle with barely a scratch on her. Within her structure, the crew went about their daily duties and were recouping from the rigours that fierce fighting provides. The stores were well stocked, the fuel was plentiful and the air was continuously refreshed. There was no rush. It was time for a little bit of normality.

“Everything is running perfectly, cap’n” said Jela as she checked and rechecked the engineering console “we are currently running at 87% efficiency on the engines, which is as high as I can ever remember.”
“Good” replied Drackus “and the environmental levels?”
“Temperature and humidity is optimal, air supply is at the perfect mix with 90% in the tanks and recycling at peak efficiency” said Jela “the hull is leak free and we are carrying no extra mass externally, apart from a little dust cap’n.”
“Thank you Jela” replied Drackus as he thumbed a button on his command console “Thorred, could I have weapon status please?”
“All hull weapons are serviceable and have been test-fired this morning” said Thorred “energy weapons are fully charged and the magazines for the rail-guns are fully stocked, captain.”
“How are we doing with small arms and ammunition?” continued Drackus.
“We are at full stock with energy packs and they are all fully charged. Rail rifle rounds are at 80%, SMG rounds are at 76% and auto pistol rounds are at 58% captain” replied Thorred “apart from three SMGs needing mechanism parts and the auto-pistol that was lost on Porphyr, all of the weapons are accounted for and serviceable.”
“Excellent, thank you” replied Drackus “…and Sally? Is he serviceable too?”
“Yes, captain” replied Thorred “although he is having problems with his chair.”
“What do you mean?” asked Drackus.
“Well… he says it doesn’t fit any more and he needs some new upholstery. He keeps catching his calf on it and it irritates him” replied Thorred “oh… and he says it is about time he got a new one because it has seen him through two captains already.”
“Tell him that as soon as we find a bazaar somewhere, his chair will be my highest priority” said Drackus with a laugh. “How is the rest of the security team doing?”
“Sig and Benn are weapon cleaning, Sally is writing the journal and checking records and Taters is in the cargo bay with Tulley… although, he is hardly security any more… he’s more an engineer’s mate” replied Thorred “everything is ticking along nicely.”
“Good. I’ll let you get on then” said Drackus and he killed the comms.
“Good morning, Drackus” said Chook as he loped, lithely onto the bridge. He was wearing a deep crimson bio-suit that contrasted perfectly with his deep, emerald green scales.
“Good morning ambassador” replied Drackus “how do you fare today?”
“I must admit that I still crave the thrill of battle but this respite has enabled me to catch up with my training” replied Chook “although my sessions are so much less enjoyable, now that Joo’an is not here to instruct me.”
“Yes” replied Drackus sadly “she has left a void in the crew and I miss her friendship and council.”
“Indeed” replied Chook and he looked at the floor solemnly for a moment before continuing “have you decided on a destination yet, Drackus?”
“I am awaiting a response from a client on Fasterre but until I get a response, we’ll head in that general direction and see what crops up” replied Drackus “we have plenty of supplies for a good few weeks and to be honest, the peace is refreshing.”
“Indeed… but peace can also encourage laziness” replied Chook “we must maintain readiness.”
“I have been captain of this ship for many years, ambassador” replied Drackus “you know that I run this ship at peak efficiency.”
“That I do!” replied Chook with a toothy grin “I was just checking that you hadn’t forgotten.” With that, he flicked his tail and left the bridge, humming loudly.
“I’ll be in the lounge if any one needs me, Jela” said Drackus as he left his seat “you have the comms.”
“Aye, cap’n” replied Jela.

Taters stared at Tulley and would have been indignant if he was staring at anyone else but her.
“Are you sure I can’t help?” he asked.
“I told you… I can do it!” said Tulley tersely as she struggled to separate the sheath from a thick power-cable. After another few seconds of struggling, which included using her teeth; she finally stripped back the sheath and exposed the metal underneath.
“See?” said Tulley “I told you I was fine. Pass the tester would you?”
Taters found the tester; making sure the cables were correctly attached and handed it to her.
“I could have tested that without taking the sheath off” said Taters. Tulley glowered at him as she attached the test probes to the exposed wires but said nothing and carried on with her work.
“Is there anything I can help with at all?” asked Taters but received silence in response. Tulley was in one of her moods again and Taters really regretted mentioning that the cargo bay air-conditioning wasn’t running at the correct temperature.
“There” said Tulley “pass the tape would you?”
Taters passed her a reel of insulation tape and watched as she deftly wrapped it around the power-cable. She bit the tape and pressed the tail flat before plugging the cable into the socket.
“Try that” she said.
Taters flicked the switch and the air-conditioner hummed into life.
“Give it ten minutes and we’ll see if I’ve fixed it” said Tulley “shall we have tea now?”
“Would you like me to make it for you?” asked Taters.
“No… I’ll make it” replied Tulley “you can’t drink it so I always feel a bit greedy if I don’t do it myself.”
“I like making you tea” replied Taters as he watched Tulley disappear into the small galley that was attached to the cargo area.
“I know but I want to make it today” she replied.
Tulley had been hard work since Joo’an had passed away. He knew that she missed her but Tulley had showed no emotions. She had merely got on with her job and been difficult to talk to. Taters had even taken to being in his Grymn form permanently so that he could be a more natural looking friend to her but it hadn’t helped. He was at a loss.
“I think I’ll go and see Thorred” said Taters.
“Okay” replied Tulley absent-mindedly “make sure that you are back by lunch; we have the water processor to inspect.”
“Will do” replied taters and he left the cargo bay.

Time ticked by slowly.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:59:03 AM by Inso »
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 2
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 04:29:32 PM »
The crew gathered in the lounge at the captain’s request. The Obituary was set on auto pilot so that everyone could attend the meeting and when Drackus entered with Chook in tow, there was silence.
“Good evening everyone” said Drackus cheerfully “I’d like to thank you all for your efforts over this past week. The ship is running as perfectly as she possibly could and everything is ship shape apart from a little bit of a hull polish so well done.”
There was a general thank you from the room and Drackus continued.
“We needed a reset and now that we have had it, I have accepted a job from a nearby client. We will be visiting Fasterre in a couple of days and while we are there, we’ll replace the lost pistol and Sally’s chair, collect some extra ammunition and the parts we need to get back up to speed and we’ll generally make sure that we are completely re-stocked. I have also arranged for the hull to be properly cleaned so we will be there for a couple of days” said Drackus “I have also arranged to meet with a good friend of mine who will be joining us for a short while.”
“Who might that be, cap’n” asked Sigurd bluntly.
“An old war-buddy” replied Drackus slyly “anyway, when we leave Fasterre, we’ll be heading home to make the delivery.”
“What? Back to the home-world?” asked Thorred.
“Where else do you call home, Thorred?” asked Drackus sarcastically “any questions?”
“Where will our guest be staying?” asked Tulley.
“She’ll be staying in my quarters with me” replied Drackus “Excellent! That is all.” He turned tail and strolled purposefully out of the lounge whistling to himself whilst avoiding further questions.
“Oh dear” said Sally.
“What?” asked Thorred.
“You haven’t met Valerie, have you?” he asked.
“No… who is Valerie” replied Thorred.
“Oh… I couldn’t possibly spoil the surprise” replied Sally and he chuckled to himself “just prepare to batten down the hatches for when she arrives.” Sally stood up and said “Well? Don’t we all have work to do?”
The room emptied and Thorred walked with Sally.
“I can’t believe you won’t tell me about the guest” said Thorred “I thought it would be your duty to tell a fellow security officer.”
“Or…” said Sally “…it would be your duty as a security officer, to find out yourself!”
“So… she’s on file?” asked Thorred.
“Yes, she is on file” replied Sally and he stifled a laugh as Thorred’s pace quickened and Sally matched it.
“Oh, come on Sally, I need to get to the files” said Thorred as he broke into a sprint.
“Not if I get there first!” replied Sally as they both raced down the corridor.

Fasterre was a mass of buildings. Every available space was filled with tower blocks or factories. Some of the towers were so tall that they pierced the orbit and had their own space ports at the top. As The Obituary approached, the planet looked like a dirty, grey ball covered in little squares and all around it was the bustle of commerce as ships of all sizes flitted around in orbit.
“Lovely looking place!” said Jela flatly.
“If I’d have heard of its beauty, I would have got married here” replied Fran. The twins shared a laugh and then focused on the job at hand.
“Stobart, do you have the co-ordinates?” asked Jela.
“Aye, J” he replied “I’m slowing to docking speed as we speak.”
“Good. Cap’n, we are about five minutes away” said Jela into the comms.
“I’ll be right there” replied Drackus and a moment later he swept into the room dressed finely in garishly coloured clothing and smelling strongly of cologne.
“Ahhh, Fasterre” said Drackus as he gazed out of the windscreen “isn’t she beautiful?”
“We were just saying the same thing” said Jela as she stifled a giggle and Fran had to look away or she would have laughed out loud.
“How long, Stobart?” asked Drackus.
“Just a minute or so” replied Stobart “they are very efficient here.”
“Yes…” replied Drackus who was obviously lost in thought.

Once the ship had docked, the cargo door opened and the crew were given leave to explore. Drackus walked down the ramp and got about twenty feet when he stopped and waved.
“DRACKUS!” shouted a female Grymn in combats who broke into a run and dashed along the decking. Moments later she had leaped at Drackus enveloping him in her arms and legs and kissing him passionately.
“Yep…” said Sally to Thorred “that would be Valerie.”
Thorred just stood and stared as Drackus managed to untangle himself. He looked at the crew and had a huge, beaming smile. “This is Valerie” he said simply “we’ll be back at around eight.” Drackus put his arm around Valerie and walked off with her. Thorred watched them depart and noticed that Valerie had stuck a hand in one of the back pockets in Drackus’ trousers.
“They’re close then?” asked Thorred jokingly.
“You have no idea!” replied Sally “Come! Let’s go and find a chair.”
With that, the security team left the docking area and went to look in the nearby bazaar.
“Taters?” asked Tulley “will you come to the bazaar with me? I don’t want to go on my own. Jela has said she’ll deal with the restock.”
“Of course I will” said Taters and he smiled broadly “where do you want to go? I know that I would like to get some extra clothing… coveralls are good for work but they don’t set any trends.”
“Oooo! Clothes shopping? What a great idea” said Tulley as she grasped his hand and led him down the ramp “I could do with some new shoes as well.”
“Did I just see what I saw then?” said Gregor.
“Yes, mate. It was quite touching” replied Trev as they watched Taters and Tulley leave. They looked at each other and laughed.
“Beer?” asked Trev.
“Beer!” replied Gregor and they both left the ship. The rest of the crew remained onboard and Chook took the opportunity to sit on the bridge and take watch while Jela and the rest of them sorted out the chores.

“It has been too long, Dee” said Valerie.
“I can’t argue there, Val” replied Drackus as he stared into her green eyes. She was beautiful by any standards. She had a lightly tanned complexion, flowing red hair that spilled down her back; almost to her bottom and full, crimson lips. There was a very fine scar that ran from the corner of her left eye, all the way down to the corner of her mouth but apart from that, she was perfection. She kissed him again and said “feth… I could eat you alive.”
Drackus smiled at her and felt the weight of the last few months lift from his shoulders.
“I may well let you later” replied Drackus “but I’d like to see what’s been going on with you first.”
“What can I say? Pretty much exactly the same as always” she replied “a bit of security work, a bit of smuggling and a bit of gambling. What about you?”
“Pretty much the same apart from saving the odd world or two” replied Drackus with a big grin.
“Excellent… well, now we’ve shared that, it is about time you took me to bed!” Said Valerie with a grin “that is, if you can face it?”
Drackus stared into her eyes, smiled and said “I reckon I could slum it for a while.”
“You are such an old romantic!” said Valerie and she got up, grabbed his hand and said “lead me to your ship… and there had better be some decent cognac waiting for me!”

“Yes, master” said the trader. He was fat, humanoid and smelled strongly of sweat “it is made of the finest Durallian leather and is guaranteed to last for your whole life.”
“Hmmm…” mumbled Sally abruptly as he sat heavily in the chair. He rotated left and right and adjusted the height up and down “so you are guaranteeing this chair for another two hundred years then?”
“Two hundred?” gasped the trader “no sir… fifty years, only!”
“I’ll still be in my prime in fifty years; you guaranteed the chair for life.”
“Yes sir… but by my standards of life… I had no idea that your species were so long-lived!” replied the trader.
“Hmmm” mumbled Sally again and he winked at Thorred “and you will deliver this to my ship?”
“Of course, sir… for an extra fee, of course” replied the trader.
“I think, sir…” said Sally as he stood up to his full height and stretched his arms; showing off his powerful physique “that delivery will be complimentary, don’t you?”
The trader looked up at Sally and gulped hard before saying “yes master… I will arrange it straight away.”
“Excellent!” said Sally and he spat into his hand and shook on the deal with the trader. He scanned his cash card and wished the trader well after making sure that he obviously checked his trading licence. As the four of them left the stall Sig looked at Sally and said “that was a bit mean.”
“No… that was business” replied Sally with a grin “speaking of which, we need to find an armoury to get a few bits and bobs.”
“I think there is one over on four-one-eight” said Thorred as he checked a bazaar plan “yep… ‘Vargr’s Blasters’ it is called.”
“Then let’s go” said Sally and they went off to find it.

“Oh, go on… give it a try… please…” said Tulley as she tried to hand Taters a pair of voluminous silk trousers “Drackus wears this sort of thing all of the time.”
“Tulley… I am not wearing ladies trousers!” said Taters as he tried on a loose fitting pair of denims behind the curtain.”
“They aren’t ladies trousers… the zip goes the other way!” she replied “they look great too!”
“You would look lovely in them but I am not going to wear them” said Taters as he buttoned his silk shirt and slipped on a denim waistcoat which had a number of pouch-pockets on the front. He looked at himself in the mirror and finally felt like the Grymn he really wanted to be.”
“How do I look?” said Taters as he opened the curtain and stood in front of Tulley. He was wearing some fine, leather boots and a sturdy belt with his clothes and felt quite comfortable. Tulley stared at him for a moment, blushed and said “not bad.”
“Not bad?” replied Taters. Tulley walked over to a nearby shelf, found a brightly coloured cravat and returned. She carefully tied it around Taters’ neck and stepped back.
“That’s better” she said.
“You are happy now?” asked Taters.
“Yep” replied Tulley.
“Excellent” said Taters “SHOP!”
“Yes, sir?” asked a small service robot.
“Charge me for these and duplicate them a dozen times in various colours” replied Taters.
“Would sir like specific colours?” asked the robot.
“Vary the shirts and have contrasting cravats but keep the denim blue but vary the shades” replied Taters “I would like a mix of black and brown boots with belts to match.
“Will that be all, sir” asked the robot.
“I would like to buy this as well” he replied and he held out a beautiful crimson dress which was finely embroidered with little, blue, forget-me-nots over its silken surface.
“As you wish sir” replied the robot “would you like them wrapped sir?”
“Yes… and delivered to The Obituary, dock thirty seven.”
“As you wish… please scan sir” said the robot and he held out a card reader for Taters to use. Taters paid and left the shop with Tulley. She was silent.
“Do you like the dress?” asked taters.
“It is beautiful” replied Tulley.
“Should I not have bought it for you?” he asked.
“It is a lovely gift” replied Tulley “thank you.”
“Then why are you so quiet all of a sudden?” asked taters and he heard Tulley sniff. He looked at her and she was crying.
“The flowers remind me of Charran” she replied quietly. Taters did the only thing he could think of and hugged her to him. She gripped him tightly as she sobbed her heart out.
“I miss her too, you know” he said and she looked at him and buried her head in his chest, crying even harder as she did so.
Taters and Tulley stood like that for ten minutes as the crowds moved around them; going about their business, blind to the pair of them.
“Hey” said Taters and he made Tulley look at him “shall we go for some tea?”
Tulley nodded, wiped her eyes on her sleeves and said “I bet I look terrible now.”
“Don’t be silly” said Taters “you could never look terrible.”
“Thank you” replied Tulley as she hugged his arm tightly and walked with him to a nearby hostelry “I am glad you are here with me.”
“There is nowhere else I would rather be.” He replied.
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 2
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 04:04:54 PM »
Later that evening, after everyone had returned to the ship, everything was a hive of activity. The re-supply had gone smoothly but there were still various deliveries from the shopping excursions turning up. Drackus was locked in his room with Valerie and had left orders that he was not to be disturbed so Jela was dealing with the port technicians who were detailed to clean the external surfaces of the ship. Everything was going smoothly but they were still waiting for the client to turn up with his delivery. There was no rush because the hull cleaners had already said the work would take a couple of days but Jela just wanted everything to be complete so she knew where she stood.
“Hey, babe” said Thorred as he kissed Jela on the cheek “is everything going OK?”
“Yep” replied Jela as she checked her data slate “only the client and the cleaning to go.”
“Has Drackus mentioned what we will be carrying yet?” asked Thorred “it would be helpful to know, just in case we need special clearances or anything.”
“Sorry, hun” replied Jela “he’s not said… and he doesn’t want to be disturbed so we’ll have to wait and see.”
“Do you mind if I keep you company?” asked Thorred.
“Of course not” replied Jela with a broad smile “it will help to pass the time.”

“How do you feel?” asked Taters.
“I’m fine now” replied Tulley “I think I needed a good cry… to clear the tubes.”
“Did you enjoy the tea?” asked Taters.
“Not as much as the company” said Tulley and she held Taters by the hand “thank you for looking after me.”
“It was my pleasure” replied taters “so… when are we going to get started on the next maintenance?”
“It can wait… everything is running fine” replied Tulley with a smile “I think I’d like to go to the lounge for a bit… will you join me?”
“Okay” replied Taters and they disappeared towards the lounge.
“Great” said Tulley “it will be like a date.”
Tulley grabbed his hand and led the way before he could respond.

Later that evening, a courier turned up at the ship and he was carrying a small parcel; no bigger than a shoe-box. Jela signed for it and he departed.
“I think we should scan it” said Thorred.
“I agree” replied Jela but before she handed the parcel to Thorred, Drackus bustled into the cargo bay.
“Excellent!” he said “it has arrived.”
Drackus took the parcel, turned to leave but was stopped by Thorred.
“Captain” said Thorred “Can we scan it before you take it?”
“There’s no need for that” replied Drackus “The parcel contains documents… nothing more.”
“Are you certain?” asked Thorred and Drackus stopped, turned to face him and said “I am certain that the parcel I am carrying contains documents and does not need any form of special permit or safety precaution to remain on this ship or travel through customs.”
Thorred knew that he was being told to mind his own business and replied “thank you, captain.”
“Is there anything else?” asked Drackus.
“No, sir” replied Thorred.
“Excellent… I’ll be in my quarters” replied Drackus as he turned to leave “I do not wish to be disturbed until we are ready to depart.”
Drackus left the cargo bay with a smile on his lips and a skip in his step.
“Someone seems to have his mind on other things” said Thorred. Jela leaned into him and kissed him on the neck “he isn’t the only one” she said with a smile. Thorred looked at Jela, smiled and walked away “I’m sure you will be able to wait for an hour or so” he said as he smiled cheekily in her direction.
“If I have to” replied Jela.

“Sig, could you explain to me why Trev and Gregor are in the brig” said Sally.
“It would appear that they over indulged while they were out and have rendered themselves… in the words of Jela… incapable of being helpful in any way” replied Sig.
“So why are they in my brig?” replied Sally “shouldn’t they be in their billets; sleeping it off?”
“You would have thought so… but Jela was insistent” replied Sig.
“Hmmm… was she now?” replied Sally “well I guess we’ll have to babysit them for now then.”
“I guess so” said Sig.
Have the rounds, parts and pistol been stowed?” asked Sally.
“Yes, Sally” replied Sig “Benn is repairing the SMGs as we speak.”
“Who told him to do that?” asked Sally.
“No one” replied Sig “he just went and did it.”
“That isn’t like him…” replied Sally “are you guys trying to carry me?”
“No Sally” replied Sig “we’d never be able to lift you!”
“You know what I mean” replied Sally curtly “do you think I am unable to do my job?”
“No way, Sally!” said Sig indignantly “we are just doing our job. That is all.”
“Good” replied Sally “because I would hate to be in your shoes if you thought I need to be looked after… I’ll have you deep-stripping the hull guns with no vac-suit on before you knew it!”
“Aye, Sally” said Sig quickly “we know that.”
“Hmmm” said Sally as he gingerly lowered himself into his new chair. He wriggled about a little before finding a comfortable position and then relaxed his whole weight into it “now THAT is a comfortable chair” he said before thumbing the comms switch “Benn. How’s the work going?” There was a pause before Benn replied “all finished. I’m just cleaning up the mess now, Sally.”
“Good” replied Sally “I’ll see you in security when you are done.”
“Aye, Sally” replied Benn.
“Where’s Thorred?” asked Sally.
“He’s in the car…” started Sig before Thorred interrupted “I’m here.”
“Did the delivery arrive?” asked Sally.
“Yes and the captain took charge of it straight away” replied Thorred.
“Ahhh…” replied Sally “it must be one of his specials then.”
“What do you mean?” asked Thorred.
“Never you mind, lad” said Sally “all you need to know is that it will not be stopped at the other end and will not go bang on the journey home.”
“Oh… right you are” said Thorred.
“Don’t worry, lad” replied Sally “he’ll share the information with you soon enough.”
“Okay” replied Thorred “has anyone fixed the SMGs yet?”
“Benn’s on it” said Sig.
“Is there anything that needs doing, then?” asked Thorred.
“Nope” replied Sally “we are all set for departure. We are just waiting for the cleaners to finish and the cap’n to give the word.”
“Well, if it’s alright with you, Sally, I’ll nip off and do my own thing” said Thorred.
“Actually, Thorred” said Sally as he stood up “I think we should go and get some Gym time in. Sig, when Benn gets back, bring him to the cargo bay.”
“Aye, Sally” replied Sig.
“Let’s go then” said Sally and Thorred joined him as he left the security office.

That evening, all of the work had been finished and everyone was at a loose end so they were all drawn towards the lounge after their meal. There was nothing anyone could do but wait for the cleaners to finish before they could depart. Only three people were absent from the lounge; Drackus, Valerie and Chook. Chook was on the bridge reading and keeping an eye on the comms. Drackus was in his quarters with Valerie. Sig opened the bar and had Fran with him. They were just checking things were set up and serving drinks. Taters and Tulley were tucked away in a corner chatting away. The rest of the security team were sat watching sport on one of the entertainment screens with Trev and Gregor. Jela was sat with Stobart and was pawing over some documents with him. Everything was relatively quiet.

The door slid open and in burst Valerie. She was wearing combat boots, tan camouflaged trousers and a white vest. Her long, red hair was tied into a pony tail and she had a focused look on her face.
“Who’s going to get me a drink of cognac?” she asked.
“Sig will sort you out” said Thorred and he pointed to the bar.
“I thought he was married!” she said with a wink “it’s a drink I’m after.”
Sig laughed but Fran glared at him so he straightened his face. Valerie leant on the bar and said “cognac, please… and make it a large one.”
“Right you are, ma’am” said Sig and he poured her a drink. She left the glass on the bar, took the bottle from him and took a big swig from it. She wiped her mouth with the back of her hand and said “thanks, gorgeous” before turning to find somewhere to sit. She saw Sally and made a bee-line for him. Making sure she didn’t spill her drink she leapt onto his lap, threw her free arm around his neck and gave him a big kiss on the cheek “Sally, my sweet, it has been such a long time” she said.
“Valerie!” said Sally with a broad grin “as if we haven’t had enough trouble lately.”
“Oh don’t be like that, big guy, you’ve missed me really” she replied.
“It has certainly been quieter without you” he replied; still smiling “where’s Drackus?”
“Oh… he’s in his bed” she said with a laugh “I think I’ve worn him out.” She took another draft from the bottle, belched loudly, wiped her mouth and looked at Thorred “Who are you, handsome?”
“I’m Thorred” he replied and his skin turned subtly lilac.
“Are you one of Sally’s boys?” she asked.
“I work in security, yes” replied Thorred.
“Maybe you can throw me around a mat later” she replied with a big smile “if you could muster the bottle.”
Thorred’s eyes widened and he became quite flustered but when Valerie laughed, he knew she was playing with him.
“No worries… you know your limits, I guess” she said with a wink. Jela just watched from her table and then continued with her work.
“Who’s the guy with Tulley?” asked Valerie.
“He’s Taters” replied Sally “he is not all he seems.”
“Why is that?” asked Valerie.
“He’s Thorred’s mechanical twin” said Sally.
“Oooo… sounds fun” she said and she was just about to get up from Sally’s lap when he gently prevented her from doing so.
“I think you can meet him another time, Val” said Sally “we’ve had some upheaval lately and Tulley needs a bit of time to chat.”
“Oh, how sweet” said Valerie and she kissed Sally’s cheek again “you always did look after everyone.”
“I do try” replied Sally.
“Maybe you could look after me in a little while” she said with a wry smile.
“You would love that…” replied Sally “but I’ll have to decline your generous offer.”
“Well, you’ve got to watch your health I guess” said Valerie as she took another drink and settled down on Sally’s lap “Drackus tells me you’ve all been in the wars lately.”
“Aye. That we have” replied Sally “we could have used your help if you were here.”
“You lost a crew-mate I hear” said Valerie as she took another swig from her bottle.
“Aye…” replied Sally and the room suddenly quietened.
Valerie realised that the atmosphere had changed and knew that she had touched a nerve.
“It is never easy to say goodbye to friends” she said solemnly and tilted her bottle to the air “to absent friends.”
Everyone in the room joined the toast, paused for a moment and returned to what they were doing.
“Sorry, Sally” said Valerie “I’ll not speak of it again.”
“Thank you” he replied.
Just then the door slid open and Drackus walked in. He was wearing a violet and green lounge suit with a red cravat and had Blue draped over his shoulder. He whistled as he walked to the bar and asked Sig for a soft drink. He scanned the room, saw Valerie sat on Sally and smiled. He walked over and joined them.
“I see you have captured her, Sally” said Drackus as he sat on the nearest chair “was she difficult to catch?”
“No, cap’n” replied Sally “she just fell into my lap!”
“I hope you haven’t been causing trouble, Val” said Drackus with a smile.
“Me, Dee?” she replied “I wouldn’t dare.” She winked at Thorred who flushed again and she then moved to sit on Drackus.
“When do we depart this dreary hole?” she asked.
“As soon as The Obituary has a shiny hull” replied Drackus “probably by midday tomorrow.”
“Excellent” she replied and she kissed Drackus “I have been here too long.”
“Another couple of hours won’t hurt then” replied Drackus.
“As long as I can fill them with you” she replied with a purr.

The evening slowly passed by, Drackus kept Valerie in check and all of the little groups went about their business. One by one, everyone left until just Taters and Tulley were left.
“I guess we’d better push off” said Taters and he stood up, collected the glasses and took them to the bar. Tulley stood up and suddenly realised that she was a little tipsy as she wobbled unsteadily on her feet.
“Will you take me to my room, Taters?” she asked “I am a bit wobbly.”
“Of course” he replied and he put his arm around her to steady her as they left the lounge.
“I’ve had a lovely time tonight” said Tulley as they walked, slowly down the corridor.
“Me too” said Taters.
“Will you stay with me tonight?” she asked.
“I will sit with you, if that is what you want” replied Taters.
“No, silly” she replied “I want you to share my bed with me.”
Taters stopped abruptly. He was completely taken aback by the request.
“I am not able to” he replied at length “it would not be appropriate.”
“Oh… I don’t mean like that” replied Tulley “I just want a cuddle with my big puppy.”
They continued to walk down the corridor slowly and after a while, Taters replied “I think that would be okay.”
“Good” replied Tulley and she hugged him as they walked. Taters’ mind was spinning. He really didn’t know what to do but didn’t want to upset Tulley because she was fragile at the moment. He hoped that she would fall asleep quickly so that he could leave her and sit by her bed. He wanted to see Thorred but he knew that it was too late in the evening for that.
When they reached Tulley’s room she told him to settle while she sorted her life out. Taters gingerly climbed into her bed and found a comfortable position. He was worried that the bed wouldn’t take his weight but it appeared that Tulley had added extra bracing. When she appeared again, Tulley was wearing just a vest and knickers. She climbed into the bed and snuggled up to Taters, closing her eyes and holding him close.
“Lights out” she said and the lights dimmed before extinguishing.
“You are very cold” she said. Taters thought for a moment and his body warmed up to normal Grymn body temperature.
“Is that better?” he asked.
“Perfect” replied Tulley “night-night, puppy.”
“Good night, Tulley” replied Taters and a few moments later, Tulley was sleeping soundly. Taters quickly realised that there was no way to escape her grip so he settled down for the night. He remained awake and thought of all of the implications of what was happening and it frightened him. The first opportunity he got, he would be going to see Thorred.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:05:29 PM by Inso »

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 4
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
“You did what!?” asked Thorred incredulously.
“I spent the night in Tulley’s bed” replied Taters and when he heard himself repeat it, it sounded even worse than the first time.
“Are you crazy?” asked Thorred “Have you no idea what could happen here.”
“I have thought about every possible outcome and not many are positive” replied taters sadly.
“You must go straight to the captain and explain to him what has happened” said Thorred “He will have you thrown off the ship if he finds out from someone else… he may throw you off now!”
“I hope not” replied Taters and the magnitude of the situation was beginning to really dawn on him.
“Let’s go now” said Thorred and he walked Taters to Drackus’s quarters.
“The cap’n isn’t to be disturbed” said Jela when they arrived at the bridge.
“I am sorry but this is a very serious matter” said Thorred and Jela immediately sensed his worry “okay, I’ll wake him.”
“What is it Jela?” replied the comms.
“Cap’n, Thorred and Taters are here to see you with a very urgent matter” said Jela.
“It had better be” said Drackus. Moments later, he appeared on the bridge in a silk dressing gown and slippers.
“What is it?” asked Drackus flatly.
“Captain, it is a serious matter that must be dealt with in private” replied Thorred as he flashed a worried look at Taters. Drackus spotted it and instantly jumped to conclusions.
“This way” he said and they both joined him in his quarters.
“Valerie, could you make yourself a bit scarce for a while… I’ll see you in the lounge when I’m done here” said Drackus.
“If I must” replied Valerie who climbed out of Drackus’s bed and walked past them all completely naked but for a smile. She grabbed a robe and pulled on some knickers before walking out of the door, slowly putting the robe on as she left so that the bridge crew got an eyeful of her bare breasts and lithe physique. The door slid shut and Drackus immediately turned to Taters.
“What have you been up to with Tulley?” he asked.
“You knew?” asked Thorred.
“I suspected something might happen” replied Drackus “so what is going on, Taters?”
“I lay with Tulley in her bed last night” he said and he looked guiltily at the floor.
“What else happened?” asked Drackus and he had a look of thunder on his face.
“I lay in her bed with my clothes on, she joined me… wearing a vest and underwear. She cuddled into me and I raised my temperature to Grymn body temperature so that she was warm. She slept in my arms all night, got up in the morning and went about her business” said Taters solemnly “as soon as I could leave without upsetting her, I went straight to Thorred who brought me here.”
“Nothing more happened?” asked Drackus.
“No, captain” replied Taters.
“Are you sure?” confirmed Drackus.
“I am absolutely certain… I have searched my data-cells” he replied.
Drackus turned away and paced the room. He was deep in thought and Thorred knew that he was furious. After a few minutes he walked up to Taters and looked him in the eye.
“Are you trustworthy?” asked Drackus.
“Yes I am, captain” replied Taters.
“What happened can never happen again” said Drackus flatly.
“Yes, captain” replied Taters.
“I expect you to share an oath with me, Taters” said Drackus as he put his hand forward.
“You have my word, captain” said Taters and he shook the captain’s hand.
“If you break your oath, I will expel you into space” replied Drackus with a look that could have emptied the most raucous of rooms “I will not make another exception for you.”
“That is understood, captain” replied Taters and he felt wretched as he agreed to the captain’s demands.
“Then it is done” said Drackus “I don’t want to see either of you for the rest of the day.”
“Yes captain” they replied together and they left his quarters as quickly as they could.
A moment later, Drackus swept through the bridge returning shortly afterwards with Valerie. He bustled through and the door to his quarters slid shut behind them.
“I wonder what all that was about” said Jela to no one in particular.
“Captain’s business” said Stobart dispassionately “better left as is.”
“Aye, Stobart” replied Jela “You’re probably right.”
“Oh yes… I certainly am” replied Stobart.
Jela nodded and continued with her work.

Taters walked over to his charging unit and stepped in. Even though he didn’t need to charge anymore, there was a certain familiarity about his booth and he wanted time to power down. He stood motionless inside and as his vision faded, he noticed Tulley enter his field of view.

“I think Taters is broken or something” Tulley said to Thorred.
“Why?” he replied.
“He’s powered down in his charging booth” replied Tulley “and he doesn’t need to do that any more.”
“Maybe he has something on his mind?” replied Thorred and he was trying hard to avoid the trouble that Taters was in. Tulley paused for a moment, smiled and said “yes… that’s probably it” before leaving and returning to the cargo area.
“Is there something you want to tell me about?” asked Sally from his desk.
“Not at the moment Sally… but you’ll be the first to know if I change my mind” replied Thorred.
“Right you are” replied Sally and he continued with his typing.
“Crew prepare for departure” was the message from the comms.
“Well, here we go again” said Sally as he prepared the security section and strapped in.
“Aye… home again” replied Thorred as he did the same.
A few minutes later, Fasterre was a diminishing dot in the blackness of space.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 5
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »
“It will be great to be back at home again” said Thorred.
“Aye!” replied Sig as he checked the barrel of an SMG while he was cleaning it.
“It has been a while since we received any comms with the home-world” said Thorred “they must be having a quiet time of it… trade must be going well.”
“Aye” replied Sig “it must be great to have the cloud of war lifted from their heads.”
“Especially now that the Sleiti and Humans are trading freely with them” replied Thorred.
“I’ll be glad to get some proper ale in me again” said Sig “the alien brews are alright but Grymn ale has the taste of home.”
“I hear you there!” replied Thorred.

“How much longer before we reach our destination?” asked Drackus.
“Two days… give or take a couple of hours” replied Stobart.
“Have we received a reply to my message yet?” asked Drackus.
“No, cap’n” replied Stobart.
“Have we received ANY comms from the home-world lately?” asked Drackus.
“The last comms were about three weeks ago” replied Stobart “it was just general news, nothing more.”
“Jela, could you put out a recurring message to Captain J. Stalwart of the sixth anvil guards requesting that he contact us?” asked Drackus.
“Yes, cap’n” replied Jela.

Drackus was awoken by the ship’s alarm and the flashing red of battle-station lights. He leapt from his bed and into his boots; grabbing his side arm as he dashed, unclothed to the bridge.
“What is it, Jela?” he asked urgently as Stobart threw him a jacket.
“Dead ships… and a lot of bodies” replied Jela “We are at full stop, weapons armed and ready, awaiting your orders, cap’n.”
“Status?” said Drackus as Valerie walked onto the bridge carrying a pair of trousers for him.
“We are approximately sixteen hours from the home-world at our previous speed and we have encountered five dead cruisers. They appear to have suffered multiple blasts to their hulls and the space around them is filled with the bodies of their crew members… they are Grymn” said Jela “there are remains of many star-fighters… again, all Grymn.”
“Is there any movement? Any sign of enemy vessels?” asked Drackus.
“No, cap’n” replied Jela.
“Remain on full alert, stay as we are until I have dressed” said Drackus and he looked around the bridge “stagger the crew to allow them to prepare for battle… where is Chook?”
“Here, Drackus” replied Chook who was stood directly behind him.
“Would you assist Jela to allow the crew to prepare?” asked Drackus.
“It is my honour, Drackus” replied Chook “Jela, Trev and Fran, please stand down and return as soon as you are ready for battle… when you return, the others will do like wise.”
The three of them left in a hurry and Chook turned to the captain “what is it about your species that makes you so warlike?” he asked.
“Survival” replied Drackus solemnly “I will return presently."

Within ten minutes, the crew was fully battle ready. Drackus was at the command console with Chook at his side, the bridge was a hive of activity with hails being sent in all directions to try and contact anything nearby and the continuous checks of weapons and systems.
“What do you advise, Chook?” asked Drackus.
“I would suggest that we investigate with a defensive posture, ensuring that we have a number of clear escape routes” replied Chook.
“I agree” said Drackus “Jela, set a course for the space dock but remain frisky.”
“Let’s see where the land lies” said Drackus as he stared out of the windscreen.

Over the next couple of hours, The Obituary continued towards the space-dock. The nearer she got, the more debris was encountered. It was obvious that there had been a massive battle. In amongst the Grymn spacecraft were the remains of Human and Sleiti ships and they were all in a similar condition. A few hours later and the debris thinned. It seemed to Drackus that the battle had been drawn away from the home-world and the lack of wrecked craft as they approached the space-dock confirmed his thoughts.
“Jela, scan for race specific wreckage and let me know your findings” said Drackus.
“Grymn, Sleiti and Human ships… was it a battle between them or against a common foe?” thought Drackus.
“Cap’n, there are no other warships from any other race… although there are trade ships from various races” said Jela.
“I guess they were fighting each other then” said Drackus and he rubbed his chin in concentration.
“Jela, get us to the space dock and we’ll see what we can find there” said Drackus.
“Aye, cap’n” she replied.
“Something doesn’t sit right” said Drackus “it just doesn’t make sense.”
“Drackus, I feel dizzy” said Chook quietly “there is a psychic presence here.”
“Where?” replied Drackus.
“Everywhere” replied Chook.
“Could it be the battle, or is it something else?” asked Drackus.
“I am not sure… my training was incomplete” replied Chook.
“Thorred, you are requested at the bridge” said Drackus into the comms. A couple of moments later, Thorred burst onto the bridge with his pistol drawn.
“Captain, I came as quick as I could” said Thorred; holstering his pistol after seeing that the bridge wasn’t under threat.
“Chook senses a psychic presence… can you?” asked Drackus. Thorred paused for a moment and stared at the floor.
“There is something there, captain but I can’t quite make it out” replied Thorred “Wait! There!” Thorred pointed back in the direction they had come from “there is a Sleiti ship with a survivor on board.”
“Jela, get us there” said Drackus.
“Aye, cap’n… point to the screen would you, hun” said Jela to Thorred and he did as he was asked. The Obituary swung about and sped towards the vessel, scanning for weapons and energy signals as she went.
“I want Taters here, now” said Drackus.
“Taters to the bridge, immediately” said Jela into the comms and he duly arrived a moment later.
“Reporting, captain” said Taters as he appeared on the bridge.
“I need you to investigate a ship for me… you’ll need to be in a state for vacuum” said Drackus.
As the crew watched, Taters transformed from his natural looking, Grymn form into a crystal snake that quickly slipped from his clothing and reformed in to a crystalline Grymn. He picked up his clothing, folded it neatly and placed it on an empty seat.
“I’m ready, captain” replied Taters “what are your orders?”
“You are a truly amazing creation” said Drackus before continuing “the ship we are approaching contains a Sleiti survivor. We need to find them, detain them and bring them aboard.”
“No problems, captain… as long as I can cope with the psychic challenge” replied Taters.
“Thorred will keep an eye on you from here” replied Drackus “it is the best we can muster… and Chook will add to his efforts.”
“That will have to suffice then” said Taters.
“We are there, cap’n” said Jela.
“I’m on it, captain” said Taters and he left the bridge. Moments later, a crystalline figure floated towards the wrecked, Sleiti warship. Thorred and Chook stared out of the window and a few minutes later, Taters emerged from the vessel with a golden clad figure, sealed in a pod that he had made from one of his arms.
“Are you getting any feedback?” asked Drackus.
“None, captain” replied Thorred and Chook reaffirmed that.
“The survivor is aboard captain” said Sally through the comms “he needs medical assistance… it is Kaal’uin.”
“Thorred, join Sally and take Fran with you… and take a med-pack” said Drackus.
“Yes, captain” replied Thorred “Fran?”
“Coming” replied Fran and she stowed her headset and picked up the nearby med-pack.
“I want to know everything” said Drackus and they nodded as they left.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:43:51 AM by Inso »

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 5
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »
ooooooooooo :erm:
In the war-torn darkness of the future, there is only Grymn.

Deep Space Nine: Officially not as good as Stargate.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 6
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 02:37:14 PM »
Thorred looked at his friend’s ravaged body as Fran worked to stabilize him. He was extremely de-hydrated and was immediately connected to a drip. He drifted in and out of consciousness but Thorred could sense the psychic barrier that he had put in place. Kaal’uin’s left leg was gone but his bio-suit had sealed the wound and was acting as a tourniquet. Kaal’uin was in great pain.
“Kaal’uin” said Thorred “speak to me.”
Kaal’uin opened his eyes and blankly stared at Thorred. Thorred felt a presence in his mind and then Kaal’uin replied “it is good… to see… you battle-brother.”
“What happened?” asked Thorred.
“The choir… has taken… control. We attacked… your home-world… the Grymn have fled” replied Kaal’uin “we… we… “
“Kaal’uin, you what?” asked Thorred. Kaal’uin opened his eyes again and said “we destroyed your world.” He lapsed into unconsciousness and said no more.
Kaal’uin was placed in the brig with the medical equipment needed to keep him alive. Fran tended to him with Sig’s help but he was fading fast. Thorred knew that Kaal’uin was going to die.

“From what I can see, captain, Kaal’uin is fighting a psychic command from the choir chamber on Sleiti Prime. He is fading fast and will soon succumb to his injuries” said Thorred “he has said that the Sleiti attacked because the choir chamber told them to. He also said that the Grymn have fled and that the home-world is destroyed.”
“Do you think you can obtain anything further from Kaal’uin?” asked Drackus.
“I doubt that he will regain consciousness” said Thorred.
“Can you see into his mind?” asked Drackus.
“I have never attempted such a thing and I doubt if I could accomplish it if the choir chamber cannot” replied Thorred.
“It is worth a try” replied Drackus “we need to know as much as we can.”
“I’ll try but I doubt I will succeed” said Thorred and he excused himself and returned to the brig.
“Would you like me to join him, Drackus?” asked Chook.
“No thank you, Chook” replied Drackus “I think he would be better dealing with this alone.”
“As you wish… but he is part Sleiti” replied Chook “maybe he will be affected by the choir’s command.”
“It hasn’t happened so far” replied Drackus “so I am hoping that it won’t happen at all.”
“I hope so too” replied Chook.

Thorred tried his best to gain more information from Kaal’uin but he was unable to. Kaal’uin died later that day and was interred in cryo-stasis, just like Joo’an had been. Drackus made the decision to proceed to the space dock and a course was set. When they arrived, they were not surprised to see that the dock was in pieces and there were no sealed areas that could possibly contain life. Taters was sent over to interrogate any computers that he could find and returned a few hours later with a few broken transcripts from the comms system and what he hoped were the trajectories for the Ark ships. After a meeting was held in the lounge, everyone put their heads together to try and work out what had happened and why the Sleiti would want to attack.

“It is obvious, isn’t it?” said Thorred “the hybrids have infiltrated the choir chamber and sent the Sleiti warriors to destroy our home.”
“I must admit that I share your view, Thorred” replied Chook “but why so soon after Porphys?”
“Momentum… and to keep our forces stretched” said Thorred.
“But your forces were not involved in the Porphys uprising” said Chook “this is a completely separate event.”
“Maybe the two events were set to happen together… maybe there are more events elsewhere that the hybrids have orchestrated” said Thorred.
“All we know is that Kaal’uin has said that the choir-chamber ordered the Sleiti to attack our home-world” said Drackus “assuming that is true and that Kaal’uin is not part of the bigger plot, there is only one place that we will find any answers” said Drackus “Sleiti Prime.”
“We must go straight away!” said Gregor as he stood up angrily “to avenge our fallen brothers and sisters.”
“What we need to do straight away” said Drackus firmly “is to see if there are any survivors on the surface and find our kin.”
“Aye” said Valerie “We are nought without our ancestors and kin.”
“Aye” echoed the assembled Grymn.
“We have some unconfirmed trajectory traces and a few sets of co-ordinates to go on but nothing certain” said Taters “but the Ark ships seem to have travelled towards the galactic East.”
“We didn’t pass them or detect them on our way here” said Chook.
“Our stealth technology is some of the finest in the galaxy” replied Thorred “the Ark ships will not bee seen or detected unless they want to be.”
“So we return to the East?” asked Chook.
“Yes… our kin must be our first priority” said Drackus “once we know that they are safe, we will plan our next move.”
“Aye” said Sig “Kin before business.”
“Cap’n, with your consent, I’ll run a bio scan of the home-world” said Jela.
“Aye” replied Drackus “I’ll decide whether we need to visit the surface once I have your results.”
“I’ll get straight on it” said Jela and she left the lounge.
“I cannot believe that the hybrids would be able to infiltrate the choir chamber” said Sally “the Sleiti elders are far more powerful than the hybrids… and they would know the hybrids were coming.”
“That is true” said Drackus “but even the Sleiti have to sleep.”
“It still doesn’t feel right” said Sally.
“Once we find the Ark ships, we will gain some answers” said Drackus “Until then, we will react to what comes up.”
“Aye, cap’n” replied Sally.
“Any other questions?” asked Drackus. There was no reply.
“I want the ship manned in shifts for complete coverage. I want a work/rest routine to be in force… you are either on shift or you are resting. No gym time, no training, no extraneous activities. I want the crew ready to respond at a moment’s notice. Keep your boots handy and your sidearm close” said Drackus “that is all. Stay sharp and go to your duties.”
“Cap’n, you are requested on the bridge” said Jela through the comms.
“That is my cue to leave” said Drackus and he left the lounge along with the rest of the crew; to attend to his duty.

“The scans are conclusive, cap’n” said Jela with a horrified look on her face “the surface is covered in a biological soup.”
“What do you mean, Jela?” asked Drackus.
“It appears that all life has been mixed together and turned into a gel that is now covering the surface” replied Jela “there are no other signs of life… and the atmosphere is very high in carbon dioxide and methane making it uninhabitable for normal creatures.”
“What could have caused that to happen?” asked Drackus incredulously.
“Some form of bio-mutagenic weapon” replied Jela “I am sure that the Sleiti could engineer such a weapon.”
“That is horrific” said Drackus as he stared at the results of the scan “I wonder how many of the humans escaped.”
“They were not as prepared as we were” said Jela solemnly “they must have died in their millions.”
“Well, they died as allies” replied Drackus “and as such, we will find out who is responsible for this and we will hold them to account for this atrocity!” He slammed his fist on the table and stood up “there is no point hanging around here… let’s get after the Ark ships as soon as possible.”
“Yes, cap’n” replied Jela and she cleared the screen and began work on a course plan.

“Why can we never find peace?” asked Drackus as he sat in his quarters.
“Would we truly be happy with peace?” replied Valerie “We have become so accustomed to fight or flight that it is in our blood now.”
“I’d like to agree” replied Drackus “but I am tired of this life. I long to sit beside an azure blue ocean and watch the days pass peacefully; with my family beside me and no troubles to cause me any concern.”
“I’d love to join you” replied Valerie as she walked over to him and straddled his lap; facing him “but we would be bored to death after a week!”
Drackus sighed heavily and Valerie kissed him. “Chin up Dee” said Valerie “we are all in this together and we’ll work it out… the crew of The Obituary has always been good at working things out.”
“Aye” replied Drackus and he looked into Valerie’s green eyes “I’m sad that you left.”
“I’m sorry Dee” she replied “I needed to scratch an itch… I’ve done that now so I don’t need to go anywhere again.”
“I’m glad to hear it” said Drackus as he rested his head on her breast “I work better as part of a team.”
Valerie hugged him close and noticed how vulnerable he looked. She knew that he had always felt responsible for his ship and his crew but now she knew he felt responsible for his whole race.
“So do I” she replied.

“Fasterre is the first port of call” said Stobart “and we’ll have to run at a steady pace to reach her without running too low on fuel.”
“We’ll be welcome there” replied Jela “so we will be able to re-supply before we move onwards.”
“The next stop will be Andryll” said Stobart “closely followed by Thraken.”
“They’ll both be fine” said Jela “we have visited them before and as long as we have funds, we will be welcome.”
“Well… that all looks pretty straight forward… but then where?” asked Stobart “we need to find a seed-world and in that part of space, the planets get pretty angry.”
“Hmm…” replied Jela “we can worry about that nearer the time. We just need to make the best speed we can and hope that we can pick up the trail of the Ark ships.”
“I guess so” replied Stobart “at least if we catch up, we’ll have a good idea of where they are headed.”
“That is if we can find them” said Jela “we don’t even know that we are going in the right direction… we could be on a wild carnack chase!”
“Have some faith, Jela” said Stobart “Taters is to be trusted and the Father won’t see us wrong.”
“I just hope that the information wasn’t fake” replied Jela “we need to find those ships.”

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »
A ragtag fugitive fleet? Just as I wrote them eight years ago :D

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
From your original fluff, I envisaged them as a fight and flight race.

The Bohkin would hunt them down to a planet, there would be a war, the Grymn would escape in ark-ships to find a new world to settle that was off the radar. They made sure that they had the best stealth tech possible so that the Bohkin would have trouble tracking them. Even though the Bohkin and Sleiti have stopped hunting the Grymn, the Grymn have maintained their Ark-ships in case they need them.

They aren't searching for a particular world... just the next one that may offer them a little peace for a while.

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 12:52:44 PM »
My name is Kev and I approve of this reasoning.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »
:mrgreen:

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 07:44:20 PM »
 :boing: :boing: Great story so far  :applause: :applause:
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 7
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 02:30:19 PM »
The crew gathered in the lounge. Stobart was left at the controls but had an open channel so that he could hear the brief.
“We will be arriving at Fasterre in a couple of hours. I have already arranged for the fuel and supplies to be delivered so there will be no need to leave the ship” said Drackus “if anyone else needs anything specific, let me know and I will add it to the list of deliveries.”
“Aye, cap’n” said the crew in reply.
“We need to get going as soon as possible” said Drackus “and once we have taken on fuel, we will be able to travel faster to the next stop.”
“Captain?” asked Thorred “can I ask… what Valerie’s function aboard this ship is?”
“She can operate in any of the stations apart from mine” replied Drackus.
“Can we borrow her in security then?” asked Thorred “we could do with an extra pair of hands now that Taters has joined engineering.”
Drackus looked at Valerie and she nodded so he agreed with Thorred’s idea.
“Anything else?” asked Drackus as he looked around the room “good. Oh, Thorred… her shift is to match mine.”
“Yes, captain” replied Thorred.
“Right… you all know your duties” said Drackus and he stood up to leave “stay sharp.”
The room emptied and the crew prepared for the visit to Fasterre.

Fasterre came and went…as did Andryll. Thraken soon appeared in the space in front of The Obituary.
“Well, this is it” said Stobart “the last stop before the back of beyond.”
“Stop being so dramatic, will you?” said Jela “there are plenty of places out there to stop off at.”
“They’ll not be as friendly” replied Stobart.
“I’m sure they will provide what we need, whether they are friendly or not” said Jela.
“I guess so” replied Stobart “have you thought about contacting the Ark ships yet?”
“I’ve had a constant hail going since Fasterre” replied Jela “and I’ve been trying to decide what bandwidth to set the scanner to in order to track the efflux.”
“Band seven would probably be the best… what with the radioactive particles and the excess of carbon” replied Stobart.
“Cheers mate!” replied Jela “I hadn’t thought of the carbon levels and was focusing on the radioactive waste.” She tuned the scanner to band seven and adjusted the range to a broad sweep and almost instantly picked up a number of trails disappearing into the East.
“You are a star!” said Jela and she leant forward and ruffled Stobart’s hair. She reached for the comms and said “message, cap’n.”
“Go ahead” replied Drackus.
“We have picked up some trails going East… Stobart has found the Arks for us” said Jela.
“Excellent news” said Drackus “we’ll make haste at Thraken so we can try to catch them as soon as we can.”
“Aye, cap’n” replied Jela “do you want me to make arrangements for the re-supply?”
“No than you Jela, I’ve already dealt with it” said Drackus “we need to dock at bay six.”

As Thraken disappeared into the distance behind them, Drackus called the crew to order and increased the alert state on board. Everyone was keen to find the ships so they were more than happy to man the comms and scanners.
“How far in front to you think they are?” asked Drackus.
“Judging by the levels of waste we are picking up, I reckon less than a couple of hours, cap’n” said Jela.
“Are we still hailing them?” asked Drackus.
“Yes, cap’n” replied Jela.
“Why haven’t they responded yet?” thought Drackus but he needn’t have worried.
“This is Ark Nine. Following ship, please state your business with us or be destroyed” said an abrupt voice through the comms. Moments later a pair of energy blasts whizzed past the prow of The Obituary.
“Ark nine, this is Captain Drackus Smith of The Obituary” replied Drackus “We are fellow Grymn and seek information.”
“Hold your current course and prepare to be boarded” replied the voice from the comms.
“Prepare for boarding” said Drackus into the comms. Moments later a small shuttle appeared from nowhere beside the ship and latched on to it with its docking clamps. After a short while, Sally’s voice could be heard through the comms “Cap’n, your presence is requested in the cargo bay.”

“I thought it might be you, Drackus” said the Captain who stood in the cargo bay when Drackus arrived. He was short for a Grymn, portly and had sideburns that joined a bushy moustache but no beard. His hair was white and he was wrinkled with age but his eyes were as sharp as a tiger.
“Captain J. Stalwart of the sixth anvil guards, I presume” said Drackus as he strode up to the man and shook his hand in a warriors greeting “I am glad to see you… I have a delivery for you.”
“All in good time, Drackus” replied the captain.
“I suppose you want to know our business with you” said Drackus.
“We are more interested in knowing how you found us” replied the captain.
“Our computer expert interrogated the logs on the space dock to get a trajectory for your ships and we tracked you using your radioactive and carbon trails” replied Drackus.
“I will let command know” replied the captain “we can’t have just anyone following us, now can we?”
“Definitely not” replied Drackus “are you able to stay?”
“I’m afraid not, old man” replied the captain “I have urgent business to attend to.”
“I’ll get your delivery and be back in a moment” said Drackus and he dashed from the room.
“You must be Sally” said the captain “I am Jonah.”
“Welcome Jonah” replied Sally and they shook hands “it is good that we were able to find you as soon as we have.”
“You are very lucky. We were going to jump in an alternative direction and you would have been hard pressed to locate us” replied Jonah “if you hadn’t hailed us we were likely to have fired on you.”
“It is a good job we hailed then” replied Sally.
“There you go, Jonah” said Drackus as he returned with the delivery and he handed the parcel to his friend.
“Thanks, old man” replied Jonah “it is so hard to find decent cigars nowadays.” He opened the box and smelled the contents “That is a smell I’ve missed” he said.
“Right… I can’t stop so unless your reason for hunting us is very urgent, I don’t have time for it” said Jonah “I’ll have the destination co-ordinates sent over as soon as I have returned to the ship. Please don’t follow us directly… you will need to use a different route in a few days or so.”
“Understood… my questions aren’t important” replied Drackus and he shook Jonah’s hand. Jonah turned on his heels and left the cargo bay to board his shuttle. Sally watched as the shuttle separated from The Obituary and almost immediately faded into the background as the stealth fields kicked in.
“That is quite amazing” said Sally.
“It needs to be” replied Drackus “I’ll be in my quarters.”
As Drackus walked to his room he removed the small disc from his hand, inspected it and then returned it to the safety of his palm. He knew that the codes and co-ordinates for the destination planet were on the disc so he would treat it with the utmost secrecy.

“Stobart, set a course for Thraken” said Drackus “we’ll be going no further East today.”
“Aye, cap’n” replied Stobart “Will we be going to Sleiti Prime?”
“Soon enough” replied Drackus “but one step at a time.”

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 7
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »
The trip to Thraken was uneventful even though there was tension within the crew. After the business of restocking The Obituary was complete, Drackus wasted no time in getting her underway and they were soon speeding towards Andryll. When they docked above Andryll, they restocked as usual and Drackus allowed the crew time to explore if they wanted to. Most of the crew remained on board but Thorred and Jela took the opportunity to go for a private meal in one of the space dock hostelries.
“Have you thought any more about Rask’s ashes?” asked Jela.
“Yes and I know exactly what to do with them” replied Thorred “I plan to scatter them on Sleiti Prime.”
“But Rask said the Sleiti would only allow his remains to be thrown in the waste areas” replied Jela.
“Well, I’ll have to prove him wrong” said Thorred “as his chosen son; I will have to come up with a way to honour his efforts.”
“I am sure you will find a way” replied Jela and she rested her hand on his, over the table.
“I hope so” replied Thorred.
They continued their meal and chatted for the rest of the evening before returning to the ship. As they arrived, Taters and Tulley met them at the cargo ramp; they had also been out and about and Taters was carrying a small bag of items they had bought.
“Shopping again?” asked Jela.
“Yep” replied Tulley “Taters needed some underwear.”
“Thanks for that” said Taters.
“Well, it saves you having to think up your own all the time” said Tulley “now you can just be pink all over.”
“Again… thanks for that” replied Taters “is there anything else you want to embarrass me with?”
“I don’t think so…” replied Tulley “but…”
“Well, I don’t think we need to share anything else” interrupted Taters “let’s get onboard and prepare to leave.”
“Okay… but…” started Tulley before Taters ushered her away.
“Is it my imagination, or are those two behaving like a married couple?” asked Jela.
“I can’t argue… but I am keeping my eyes open just in case” replied Thorred “I really don’t want either of them going too far”.
“Why ever not?” replied Jela “if they are happy, why shouldn’t they have some fun?”
“Taters is a robot” replied Thorred.
“Not any more he isn’t” replied Jela “I don’t really know what he is any more.”
“Well he isn’t a Grymn” replied Thorred.
“Neither are you” said Jela “but you are my husband and I welcome you into my bed.”
“At least I started as a Grymn and still have most of the genes” replied Thorred.
“But isn’t Taters a replica of your mind in an artificial body?” said Jela “so he was a Grymn and his body has changed… just like yours… and your new body was manufactured too.”
“I guess I can’t argue but you know your mind and are better equipped to make the choice to be with me” replied Thorred “Tulley…”
“There is more to Tulley than you give her credit for” interrupted Jela “she knows her mind all right.”
“But she is a child” replied Thorred.
“A child in her twenties” replied Jela “The picture she paints is for display only… what she has inside is just the same as any other twenty year old and I can’t remember the last time she became attached to anyone like she has with Taters.”
“But I can’t understand why she has done so” replied Thorred.
“It is because she has fallen in love with his character and spirit” replied Jela “and I can understand why because I fell in love with you, and he is a reflection of you.”
“But Drackus will eject him from the ship if he pursues this” replied Thorred.
“I don’t think that Tulley will allow that” replied Jela “she can be extremely persuasive with Drackus when she wants to be.”
“She’ll need to be because Taters has already been warned off” replied Thorred.
“I hope Tulley doesn’t know that” replied Jela.
“Taters and I… and now you… are the only ones who know” replied Thorred.
“I think it is best we keep it that way” replied Jela.

Taters stepped in front of the scanner and set it to record. He had been doing a huge amount of homework and hoped that he would be able to create what he had learned so he was going to see if his hard work had paid off. He carried out the scan and observed the results.
“Hmm” he thought “everything looks to be in order… I just need to carry out a test.”
He picked up a small cracker with some butter and some jam on it and put it into his mouth. He chewed just like he remembered doing when he was Thorred and braced himself as he swallowed. He watched the screen of the scanner as the food was forced down his throat and into his newly created digestive system. He moved his tongue around inside his mouth and tasted the moisture and sweetness of what he had eaten and smiled broadly. He then placed his hand on the left side of his chest and felt the unmistakeable beating of a heart. He stared at the scanner screen and watched the fluid as it flowed through his recently created network of arteries, veins and capillaries. He twisted his body so that he could view it in all angles and as far as he could tell, everything was in perfect order. He had recreated a complete Grymn internal system. Everything seemed to be complete; from nerve endings to internal organs and from a full skeleton to a complete and functional digestive system… including the associated external organ.
“I am so glad I got hold of this crystal body” thought Taters with a huge, satisfied, grin across his face “all I need to finish everything off is a reproductive system and I will be a Grymn again.”

A day into the journey from Andryll to Fasterre, Taters managed to find a quiet time to chat with Thorred and explained what he had been doing. He told Thorred about his experiments and that he planned to become as near to a Grymn as he possibly could. He thought that Thorred would understand.
“How far are you going to take this?” asked Thorred.
“As far as I possibly can” replied Taters.
“What does that mean? Are you going to try to reproduce?” asked Thorred.
“I don’t think that will be possible” replied Taters “but if it is, why not?”
“Why not?” asked an incredulous Thorred “can you even begin to imagine what the offspring would be like… we have no idea of what you are, let alone what your offspring would be?”
“I am not sure of how to begin programming the necessary components for reproduction… there are a lot of calculations required…” said Taters.
“And what about your partner; how would she feel about things… have you even begun to think about that?” asked Thorred.
“I haven’t yet but I haven’t worked out how to do things yet” replied Taters.
“You can’t do this, brother” said Thorred “there are massive moral considerations and implications.”
“Why?” asked Taters “I am a completely biological entity now.”
“Are you sure?” asked Thorred.
“I am completely composed of the psycho-sensitive crystal that came from the dragons of Porphys” said Taters “unless they are robots, I must be completely biological now.”
“But you haven’t had time to adjust to your circumstances yet” replied Thorred “you need to slow down and find out about yourself again before you start to change everything.”
“If you were in my place, brother, you would have done exactly the same as I have” said Taters “if you could return to being a Grymn tomorrow, you would do so and you would not even think twice about it.”
There was a pause. Thorred searched his thoughts and knew that Taters was right about what he said; he would love to lose his Sleiti and Alphoid genes and go back to being a Grymn.
“Are you planning to court Tulley?” asked Thorred.
“I feel great affection for her” replied Taters.
“You know that Drackus will deal with you harshly if you upset her… and the Father knows what he would do if he caught you two together” said Thorred “he has already made his views perfectly clear.”
“Yes” replied Taters simply “but I am not sure whether I want to resist any more.”
“You are taking a very dangerous path” replied Thorred “but Jela has suggested we are not too dissimilar; you and I.”
“We are the same” replied Taters.
“Can I ask that you resist the urge to change things until after we have been to Sleiti Prime?” said Thorred “we need to have our mind on the task at hand.”
“For you, brother, I will hold off going any further” replied Taters “but I will look for happiness when we return from Sleiti Prime.”
“I truly hope you know what you are doing” said Thorred.
“So do I” replied Taters.
They went their separate ways and returned to their duties but Thorred had a terrible feeling about the journey ahead.

Fasterre was a welcome sight when The Obituary arrived. The Captain ordered the crew to stand down for two days so that they could all enjoy a fresh bed, luxurious bathing facilities and a change in diet. As far as Drackus was concerned, this could be the last chance for the crew to enjoy themselves so he encouraged excess. Tulley and Taters remained on board to resupply but everyone else left the ship and went away in small groups. Tulley and Taters were under orders to secure the ship once it had been resupplied and enjoy the facilities of the dock. They had every intention of following Drackus’ orders and got to grips with the work at hand as soon as they could. A couple of hours later, they were leaving the ship and heading to a hotel that was a little off the beaten track.
“I saw this on the info-board and it looked perfect for a couple of day’s break” said Tulley “you’ll love it.”
“I am sure I will” replied taters as he walked towards the hotel with Tulley gripping his hand gently. When they arrived, they were shown to a sumptuous suite and left to their own devices. A quick scan of the room showed a large bed, a lounge with plenty of seating and a large bathroom with luxurious bathing facilities. They both put their bags down and wandered around to see where everything was.
“Are we going to go shopping?” asked Taters.
“Nope, not unless you need to” replied Tulley “I just plan on staying in.”
“Oh” replied taters “if that is the case, shall we order some food? I would like to try some new tastes.”
“That’s different” said Tulley “when did you start eating?”
“A few days ago” replied Taters “it is something I have been hoping to be able to do for a long time.”
“Can you taste things properly?” asked Tulley.
“As far as I can tell” replied Taters “I remember what things tasted like before I was Taters and there is a familiarity when I eat similar foods now.”
“If you are eating… do you go to the loo as well?” asked Tulley as she sat on the side of the bed.
“Yes, it is necessary” replied Taters and he was about to sit next to her when he realised that the bed was not reinforced. Tulley saw him pause and asked “have you tried to make yourself lighter?”
“What do you mean?” asked Taters.
“Well, you can do all this other stuff, why not think yourself lighter… then you won’t have to worry about breaking things when you sit on them” she replied.
Taters stood and thought for a while before going into the bathroom area and finding a set of scales there. He paused for a moment and then stepped onto them. He had managed to drop his weight to 140lb. He looked at the reading and thought for a second and it began to rise until an error message appeared so he reduced his weight to 140lb again and smiled. He called to Tulley from the bathroom “you were right, I can go as low as 140lb”.
“Well in that case, you can come and join me on the bed then” replied Tulley so Taters stepped off the scales and went to join her. When he returned to the bedroom he was shocked to see Tulley lying across the bed wearing a pink, silk negligee. She had untied her hair and it flowed over her shoulders. She smiled at him and patted the edge of the bed for him to sit down. Taters did as he was asked and perched on the edge of the bed.
“Do you think I’m pretty?” asked Tulley.
“You know I do” replied Taters.
“Then why don’t you try to kiss me?” she asked.
“I was not sure if you would want to kiss me” replied Taters.
“Why ever not, puppy?” said Tulley and she rolled onto her knees, shuffled over to him and kissed his cheek “You are gorgeous.”
Taters turned towards her and she kissed him on the lips. He could feel the warmth of her breath and the softness of her lips. He felt emotions that he thought destroyed, resurface as if recovered from deleted files and he felt the flush of lust surge through him. He immediately stopped kissing her and stood up, panicking.
“What is it, puppy?” asked Tulley “didn’t you like it?”
“Yes…” replied Taters “but I need time to get used to things.”
“Oh” replied Tulley “I thought you wanted to kiss me.” Tulley sat back and began to cry.
“Please don’t cry” said Taters and he returned to her, sat on the side of the bed and hugged her close “you break my heart when you cry.”
Tulley stopped crying and looked at his face. She placed a hand on his heart and felt it beat strongly. She smiled and said “I don’t want to break your heart… you’ve only just got one.”
“Exactly” replied Taters and he smiled broadly. Tulley smiled back at him and hugged him again.
“I won’t go too fast, puppy” she said and she kissed his cheek and jumped off the bed. Taters watched her as she disappeared into the bathroom and almost felt guilty as he watched her lithe, silk-clad form. Moments later he heard water running into the bath.
“Are you waterproof?” asked Tulley.
“Yes… of course” replied Taters.
“Good… come here and help me” she said.
“What do you need me for?” asked Taters and he went to join her in the bathroom.
“To share my bath, silly!” she replied and Taters was met by a naked Tulley as she climbed into the deep bath.
“I am not sure this is appropriate” said Taters as he stood and looked at her for a moment before turning away.
“Don’t be silly, you’ve seen me naked before lots of times” replied Tulley “and I haven’t minded before.”
Taters thought for a moment.
“What the feth?!” he said and stripped his clothes off. Tulley watched him closely and couldn’t help but notice that he was now complete.
“You never told me you had made one of those” she said.
“I said that I needed time and that I wanted to get it right” replied Taters.
“Well it looks alright to me” she replied as Taters gingerly lowered himself into the gradually rising water.
“I’ve brought some bubbles” said Tulley as she poured some bath foam into the running water “It smells of medicine but it is very bubbly.”
For the next hour they just sat and soaked; talking about what Taters had been getting up to with his experiments and generally about everything else. Ever since he had awoken for the first time, he had never felt this happy and at ease.

After they had bathed and dressed rather more frugally that they should, they ordered a range of food to be brought to the suite. Tulley and Taters spent the evening trying different things to eat, watching the info box and talking. By the end of the evening it was as if Tulley had lifted a veil and was no longer the small child she always made herself out to be but a vibrant and eloquent woman who Taters couldn’t help but admire. When it was time to retire, Tulley beckoned Taters to the bed and he joined her.
“You are very surprising, Tulley” said Taters “It is as if I have met you for the first time today.”
Tulley smiled and said “do you like what you see?”
“Of course I do” replied Taters with a smile.
“Good” said Tulley “you can keep me company tonight then.”
Taters was unsure of what to do but Tulley said “We’ll just cuddle, nothing more.”
As they snuggled together under the silk sheets Tulley asked “just supposing we were going to go a bit further… would it work?”
“I have not got as far as programming for reproduction yet” replied Taters.
“Oh” she replied “well you’d better think about it.”
“In good time” replied Taters and he felt dread and elation in equal measures.
They settled down for sleep and Tulley rested her head on Taters’ shoulder and hugged him tightly.
“I’ve never known anyone I liked as much as you” she said.
“Same here” replied Taters and he watched her drift off to sleep.
“What the feth am I doing?” he thought.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 8
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 10:55:15 AM »
Drackus paced up and down the lounge with his hands clasped behind his back.
“You all know that we are now destined for Sleiti Prime” said Drackus “I have no idea what we will find or how we should approach such an endeavour.”
“How about we just pitch up and pile in?” said Benn.
“To be honest, I can’t see any other way of doing things” agreed Sig and Sally nodded at what he had said.
“I think that we should get there and see how the land lies” said Chook “and then react accordingly.”
“Do you know what?” said Drackus “I think that we have little choice but to do that… and hope that The Father is watching over us.”
“I’ll get the ship underway and seta a course for Sleiti Prime then, cap’n” said Stobart.
“Right… off you go then” replied Drackus “to your stations everyone.”
The lounge emptied and Drackus watched the crew leave. Chook remained behind and spoke with Drackus.
“There is no other way to do this, Drackus” said Chook “we are all aware of the terrible risks but we accept them gladly under your leadership.”
Drackus placed a hand on Chooks shoulder and said “thank you, old friend.”
“You are most welcome, Drackus” replied Chook “captain, sir.”
Drackus smiled at Chook. He was not used to hearing his rank being spoken by the ambassador.
“Well… in seven days, we’ll all know if I’ve made the right choice” said Drackus.
“And if you haven’t, we’ll end this journey together and as a team” replied Chook.
“Let’s hope that isn’t necessary” said Drackus and they both went their separate ways.

The journey to Sleiti Prime ended abruptly with the ship entering an alert state. A few thousand kilometres from Sleiti Prime, the scanners picked up a massive amount of debris in orbit. The ship went to alert state immediately and then Drackus ordered The Obituary to advance and investigate. As they neared the debris field it quickly became apparent that there were dead ships everywhere and they were all of Sleiti design. All around the dead ships were the corpses of the crews floating lifelessly through space. The Obituary carefully moved forward and eventually reached the dock and the tunnel that dropped to the planet’s surface. There was no life anywhere and the only energy signatures were those on the planet below. The Obituary docked in the tunnel but after a while Drackus realised that it wasn’t going to operate so he took the decision to fly down to the surface in the more usual way. Moments later, the ship shuddered as it went through the atmosphere and flew gracefully towards the golden spires of the choir chamber. The lower The Obituary got, the bigger the scene of death and destruction became. All around there were burning buildings and the lifeless forms of Sleiti corpses littered the once pristine gardens and pathways of the city. Amongst the dead Sleiti were countless animal corpses and it appeared that no life had been spared from death. As The Obituary settled down in the garden in front of the choir chamber, the crew were prepared for the worst. The cargo ramp dropped and the away team left in tactical formation and made its way towards the main door. Sally, Thorred, Valerie and Drackus took the lead with Chook, Sig and Benn following closely behind. They reached the doors and signs of struggle were immediately apparent because one of them was hanging limply on a single hinge. There were a lot of golden clad Sleiti warriors lying motionless around the gate and their numbers increased the further into the choir chamber the team went.
“Has there been a civil war?” asked Sally “there are only dead Sleiti here.”
“I have no idea Sally” replied Drackus “but we need to be extremely wary here.”
The team continued into the antechamber and found the going increasingly tough as the pile of corpses grew. The team had to climb over them as they reached the inner doors and the stench of decay was really starting to get to them. The inner doors were wedged open by further golden corpses but the gap to get into the main chamber was such that Sally had to clear away some of the bodies in order to squeeze through.

Sally broke into the main chamber first and landed heavily on the marble floor. He rolled and immediately took up a defensive posture. Thorred followed closely behind and did the same before Drackus and the rest of the team joined them. The scene that greeted them was one of peace. Around the edge of the bare, marble floor were the white clad bodies of the choir. They were precisely spaced and had been laid out with their hands crossed upon their breast. Thorred immediately noticed the lack of voices in his head but sensed that there was someone else in the room with them.
“I sense it too, Thorred” said Chook quietly “It seems to be in the far chamber”. Chook pointed to the door at the opposite end of the chamber and the team carefully made their way towards it. When they reached the door, it was locked but Sally made short work of opening it; it was made for decoration rather than security. Thorred and Chook led the way into the room and they were shocked by what they saw. In the corner was a naked Sleiti. Parts of his white bio-suit lay in taters around the room and there was clear evidence of bite marks on it. The walls were covered in Sleiti symbols that had been smeared there in excrement and the poor creatures arms looked like they had been chewed down to the bones. As they approached the hunched figure, they could hear that he was chanting slowly and when he looked up, his face was a picture of agony; he had gouged out his eyes with his own finger nails. The team just stood and stared at him for a moment before Thorred spoke.
“What has happened here?” he asked. The Sleiti sat as still as he was before and continued to repeat his constant chant. Thorred repeated the question in Sleiti and focused the question with what psychic pressure he could muster and the Sleiti stopped chanting.
“They wanted our secrets… they wanted to rule the universe… they invaded our space… they wanted our secrets…” said the Sleiti as he repeated the same things over and over again.
“Who did?” asked Thorred.
“The outsiders… the humans… the grymn… the Stletch… the alphoid…” replied the Sleiti as he reeled off race after race.
“Did they attack your planet?” asked Thorred.
“I could not allow them to reach our world and take our secrets” replied the Sleiti “so I hid them.”
“You hid the secrets?” asked Thorred.
“Yes… I destroyed them… I erased them… I took them away…” replied the Sleiti as he began to rock “the choir sent a message… the choir sent a message that none could ignore… we saved our secrets… no one can have them now…”
“You set your race against itself?” asked Thorred quietly as the enormity of what was being said struck home.
“We had no choice but to keep our secrets… our secrets… we had no choice…” replied the Sleiti as he rocked furiously and started to chant once again.
“This one is lost” said Chook sadly “we will get no more from him.”
“What should we do with him?” asked Thorred. Without a sound, Chook drew one of his hour blades and decapitated the Sleiti with a single sweep of his blade.
“I have taken the choice to end his suffering” said Chook flatly “it was my decision alone.”
The away team stood for a moment and stared at the remains of the figure on the floor.
“I wonder if he was the last of his kind?” asked Sally.
“There must be survivors out there somewhere” said Valerie.
“Not necessarily” said Thorred “the Sleiti are very secretive and they have kept to this system since the Delsertis issued their ultimatum.”
“There may be survivors on the planet somewhere” suggested Benn.
“Judging by all the animals lying amongst the bodies outside, I think a psychic pulse was sent out” said Thorred “If the golden warriors were brought low by it, I doubt very much if there would be civilians who could defend against such an attack.”
“We need to inform someone… to get this place dealt with… get the bodies taken care of” said Valerie “and can we leave this room because I am tired of the smell.”
“Yes, let’s get some air” said Drackus and Sally began to clear a way through the bodies.

“From what we have seen, it would appear that some members of the Sleiti choir believed that outsiders would come and steal the knowledge of their people… they had become so insular that they feared visitors so, in their madness they planned to protect their people from intrusion” said Chook as he faced the crew of The Obituary who had gathered in the lounge “They committed genocide against their own people.”
“That is horrible” said Tulley “why would they do that?”
“Madness” said Thorred.
“As far as we can tell, there are none left alive” said Drackus “we need to get some sort of a clean up crew down here to sort out the dead and preserve the knowledge and antiquities… we cannot lose memory of our creators.”
There was a pause and the light in the lounge dimmed ever so slightly before a wave of nausea swept through the crew. Thorred dropped to the floor and clutched his head and Chook staggered slightly but managed to hold onto the back of a chair. Almost as soon as it had arrived, the wave of nausea disappeared and the light returned to normal. Thorred climbed to his feet and immediately turned to face the figure that had appeared in the shadow cast by the bar.
The tall, almost skeletal figure faced him and nodded its head in greeting.
“Grrreeeeetingsss, Thorrrred” said a voice in Thorred’s mind “Weee have seeen the caaaarnage, weee willll interrrr and preserrrve.
The Delsertis stared at Thorred and as it spoke it did not move its lips.
“This is a Delsertis… one of those who saved us from the fathers in the War to End Wars” said Thorred to the room “he has said that his kind will sort the mess out and preserve what is left.”
“Why would they want to do that?” asked Drackus as he looked towards the tall figure “what is in it for them?”
“Drackuuusss” said the Delsertis to his mind “As yoooo were creeeated by the Sleiiiiti, theyyyy weeere our sonnns and daughterrrss tooo.”
“What?” asked Drackus “you created the Sleiti?”
“Yesss… manyyy centuuuuries ago” replied the Delsertis “yoooo will now leeeeave this plaaaannnet. The wooork hasss alreaaaady beeeegun.”
As soon as he had finished communicating with Drackus, a wave of Nausea swept the room and moments later, the Delsertis had disappeared.
“Crew, make ready to depart” said Drackus “I don’t know what is going on but I don’t want to stick around to see it.”
Everyone rushed to their duties and within a few minutes, The Obituary was raising into the air.
“Drackus, look” said Chook as he pointed out of one of the side windows. Drackus went over and followed his gaze. All over the surface of the planet, silver spheres had begun to appear. They hovered neatly above any intervening terrain and directly below each of them, small groups of Delsertis were beginning to appear.
“They don’t mess about, do they?” said Drackus.
“The sins of the children weigh heavy upon the shoulders of the parents” said Chook in reply.
The Obituary shuddered as she broke into orbit and Stobart shouted to Drackus “cap’n, look at this.”
Drackus went to join Stobart and stared out of the front screen. Where before, there had been a debris field as far as the eye could see, there was now empty space.
“How can they do this so quickly?” asked Stobart incredulously “it would take us months to clear so much wreckage… not to mention collect the dead.”
“They are indeed a powerful and enigmatic race” replied Drackus “I daren’t imagine how they have accomplished so much so soon.”
They both stared into the empty space for a moment before Stobart asked “where to, cap’n?”
“I hadn’t thought about that” replied Drackus “events have got ahead of me, somewhat.”
“Shall we follow the Arc ships?” asked Stobart.
“I think it is a little early for that yet” replied Drackus “and to be honest, after all of the death and destruction I have seen lately, I feel the need to sit in familiar territory and drink a familiar glass of cognac.”
“Charran then, cap’n?” asked Stobart.
“Hmm… that doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all” replied Drackus “Yes, set course for Charran. I’m sure the Duke will accommodate us.”
“Aye, cap’n” replied Stobart “Jela, I’m setting course for Charran.”
“Aye, Stobart” replied Jela “I’ll alert the crew.”

As The Obituary sped off towards Charran, a dark shadow spread across the surface of Sleiti Prime. Moments later the shadow spread out to the space dock and all of the surrounding Sleiti outposts. When the shadow subsided, only empty space was left behind. It was as if the Sleiti race had been wiped from existence.

“Theirrrr Knowledgggge musssst remaaaiiin Secrettttt” thought Pater Trookl’ar.
“The Shhhhadow Space willll hide itttt for allll ettternityyyy” agreed Pater Harl’ar’thek.
“The tome isss closed” thought Trookl’ar.
“Ourrr efffforts have beeeennnn wooorth whiiiile” replied Harl’ar’thek.
“The chiiildren-Grymmmnnn diiid notttt sussspect” thought Trookl’ar.

“What are you going to do now?” asked Jela. Thorred had Rask’s casket on his lap and was staring at it blankly.
“Well, we’re going to Charran and Joo’an is resting there” replied Thorred “I will inter the casket near her so they can rest together.”
“I think that will be fitting” replied Jela and she sat beside him and placed her head on his shoulder.
“I tire of all this war” said Thorred with a sigh “but I would be lost without it.”
“There will come a time where you will find some peace, lover” replied Jela.
“I hope so” said Thorred.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 10
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 04:58:16 PM »
The Obituary made good speed towards Charran and in no time at all, she was birthed in the space dock. Drackus had informed Elradar that they would be visiting and had been told that they would all be welcome at his palace. One of his staff was waiting for Drackus when the cargo ramp dropped and the crew were all escorted to a waiting shuttle for the trip to the surface. Tulley and Taters were going to supervise the re-supply and then follow on later. For the first time since Thorred had been on board The Obituary, Drackus was taking Blue with him down to the surface.
“Peace and quiet” said Tulley as she grasped Taters’ hand.
“Yes… let’s get the work done so we can join them” replied taters.
“I thought we’d hang around a bit before we joined them” said Tulley with an innocent look on her face.
“I’m not sure I approve of the new Tulley” replied Taters with a slight grin.
“I’m sure that you will get used to her” replied Tulley with a broad smile “now, let’s get the work done so we can make time for some fun.”
“Aye, ma’am” said Taters and they disappeared into the cargo bay to make preparations.

“I am afraid that his lordship, the High Duke has been called away on matters of state” said the staff member that Elradar had sent to meet them “he will be absent for a couple of days but has instructed me to extend every hospitality of the palace to you all.”
“Thank you…” replied Drackus with a questioning look.
“Doorman” replied the staff member.
“Doorman? I can’t call you that…. What is your name?” asked Drackus.
“My name is Frank Doorman” replied Doorman “butler to his lordship. Doorman is not my title but my name.”
“Oh… sorry, I misunderstood” replied Drackus apologetically “if you prefer Doorman to Frank, then Doorman it is.”
“Thank you, master Drackus” replied Doorman “I have set aside a number of suites for you all. Please use them as you see fit. Your food will be brought to you until his lordship returns and then meals will be taken in the banquet hall.”
“Thank you, Doorman” replied Drackus “there will be two more joining us when the ship has been serviced.”
“I have already left instructions with them and have prepared a suite for them both” replied Doorman.
“They will need two suites” said Drackus.
“The lady has requested the one suite” replied Doorman “are they not a couple?”
“No… no they aren’t” replied Drackus tersely.
“Then I will prepare a second suite” replied Doorman “if it pleases you, master Drackus?”
“Thank you Doorman, it pleases me just fine” replied Drackus.
“Then think no more about it” replied Doorman “it is done.”

As beautiful as the palace was, it seemed all the more empty as a result of Elradar not being there. The crew were escorted to their suites with no bounding welcomes or raucous laughter; just the silent gestures of the palace staff. Doorman had done a fantastic job of preparing the finest suites for them and each one of them had the most exquisite views of the forests and gardens that surrounded the palace. Each of the suites had a name plate on the door and each of the suites had been prepared specifically for those named. Drackus’ suite had a basket for Blue and a selection of the finest Cognac credits could buy. There was also fine silk and satin nightwear for Drackus and Valerie and various scents and colognes for them both. Sig’s suite contained a selection of musical instruments and some fine mead for him and Fran to enjoy. Sally’s suite was stocked with plenty of exotic fruits and a study area. There was also an alphoid concubine waiting for him. The rest of the crew had their own personally tailored suites so that they all felt that no effort had been spared. Once everyone had settled in, they gathered in the corridor and said their farewells before going their separate ways. Drackus made sure that they were all contactable but didn’t set a limit to their stay…”at least a week” was all he would say.

“It is good to see you again, Andrea” said Sally.
“And you too master Sally” replied Andrea.
“That would be Sally, okay?” said Sally.
“It is good to see you again, Sally” she replied.
“Will you escort me to the gardens, my dear?” said Sally as he put some fruit and a book into a small satchel.
“Certainly” replied Andrea.
Sally offered his arm and she looped her arm through it.
“Now, where do you recommend?” asked Sally.
“The lake is beautiful at this time of day” she replied.
“Then lead the way” said Sally and they left the palace and strolled into the gardens together.

“I could die of boredom here” said Benn earnestly.
“I know what you mean” replied Stobart.
“What should we do to wake things up?” asked Trev.
“Drinking would be a good start… and some gambling” said Gregor.
“I hear you loud and clear, mate!” said Benn and he slapped Gregor on the shoulder.
“Hey!” Watch my war-wound!” said Gregor indignantly as he rubbed his shoulder.
Ben looked at Stobart and laughed heartily “war-wound? I’ve seen more damage on a brand new coin!”
“Let’s get out of here” said Trev “I have a thirst that won’t go away and the need to express myself loudly.”
“Aye… there’s the perfect place just to the west of here” said Benn “The Heartless Woman, it is called.”
“Sounds perfect to me” replied Trev “I’ve known plenty of them and you get what expect.”
“Grab your kit and prepare to forget the next few days at least” said Benn as he grabbed a jacket, threw it over his shoulder and marched out of the room with full purpose. The others followed suit and as the door closed behind them, the room was left in silence.

“I could settle here” said Jela as she sat on the balcony draped over Thorred on the settee there.
“It is the most beautiful place I know” replied Thorred “and so peaceful too.”
“It would be perfect for raising a child… or two” said Jela casually.
“Children?” asked Thorred “yes, it would be a wonderful place to grow up… and safe too.”
“Do you fancy starting a family?” asked Jela. Thorred paused for a moment before answering.
“Do you know? I think it would be a great idea” he replied.
Jela threw her arms around him and straddled his lap “really?” she asked.
“Absolutely” replied Thorred “and what better place to start trying?”
She laughed excitedly and kissed him passionately before saying “well? What are we waiting for?”
“About time!” said Thorred as he got to his feet and carried her from the balcony and into the suite.

Chook was deep in the forest. He was wearing a deep green bio-suit that matched his scales almost perfectly. He was sitting on a sturdy branch about thirty feet from the ground and was scanning the surrounding trees with his mind. His eyes were closed and he was focused on finding life.
“There!” he thought and he leapt from the branch to the tree nearest him and then began to leap from tree to tree towards the life form that he had located. Just before he reached the creature, he paused on a branch and froze; his keen eyes scanning the ground below. After a few seconds a small deer-like creature trotted into view and calmly chewed on a small clump of vegetation. Chook watched it eating and grinned callously before dropping, feet first, on top of it; the powerful talons of his feet biting into the animals flanks. With a quick bite to its neck, the animal was dead and Chook feasted on the still warm flesh of the beast. As he ate he continued to scan the area for any other life but was content with his prize.
“It has been a long time since I have eaten my own prey” he thought cheerfully “I must do this more often.”
When he had finished eating his fill, he left the remains of the carcass where it was and leapt back into the trees. He picked a course that led towards the largest of the ornamental lakes and began to leap through the trees to reach it. He knew that the edge of the forest overhung the lake and when he reached the last of the trees he leapt from it into the water in a perfect dive. The blood that covered his head and feet was washed away as he enjoyed swimming in the cool, clear water of the lake. He saw a small shoal of fish nearby and smiled inwardly before giving chase. He knew that he would never catch them but trying to seemed to be the perfect way to spend an afternoon.
“This is the life” he thought as he sped through the water, using his tail for extra speed.

Drackus lay, face down on the table and enjoyed the sensation of the oil being massaged into his back and neck. He could hear Valerie sighing on the table next to him so he knew that she was enjoying the massage too.
“How long do you think we will be here?” asked Valerie “at the moment, I hope it is for a long time.”
“At least a week” was all Drackus would say.
“When do you think Elradar will return?” asked Valerie.
“In a couple of days” replied Drackus as he felt the firm hands manipulate his back muscles.
“Too much of this will make us lazy” said Valerie.
“It won’t hurt for a while” replied Drackus “do you ever relax, Val?”
“Yes” replied Val “it has just been a while since I last saw Elradar.”
“And that worries you?” asked Drackus.
“He may not be as pleased to see me as I would like” replied Valerie.
“Why is that?” asked Drackus.
“Last time we met, I stole his ceremonial mace” replied Valerie.
“Ha! Really?” asked Drackus “well I’m sure we’ll have some fun with that when he returns then.”
“Thanks for putting me at ease, Dee” replied Valerie sarcastically.
“Don’t worry, Val” said Drackus “I’ll look after you.”
“I’m counting on it” said Valerie dryly.
“Now… will you shut up and enjoy the massage?” said Drackus.
“Of course, dear” replied Valerie flatly.
“Thank you” said Drackus and they both got back to enjoying their massage.

“Can I see the scans?” asked Tulley “I want to see how far you’ve gone.”
“I’ll flash up the scanner, come with me” replied Taters and they both made their way to the scanner. They had both finished the re-supply and were now getting ready to visit the surface but before they left, Tulley wanted to see Taters’ handy work. When they reached the scanner, Taters fired it up and once it had finished its self test, he stood in front of the sensors. Tulley was amazed at what she saw on the screen.
“You’ve done an incredible job, Taters” said Tulley “you’ve even gone as far as capillaries and nerve endings.”
“Of course” replied Taters “otherwise I would not be able to feel properly.”
“I see that you have finished things off now” she said, pointing at his groin “it looks like everything is there now.”
“Yes” replied taters simply “but I have not gone as far as polishing the finer components of reproduction… there is no seed.”
“Do you really believe that you could end up creating life?” asked Tulley.
“I have no idea” replied Taters “but so far, I have managed to replicate everything else… my new body is made from a truly amazing substance and I honestly don’t know what it is capable of.”
“It is amazing already” said Tulley “do you think it will work… for fun?”
“I know it will” replied Taters.
“I’m not sure how I feel about that” said Tulley.
“Me neither” replied Taters.
“You are so Grymn now…” said Tulley.
“We will take things very slowly” replied taters “we need to consider everything before things get out of hand.”
“I know” replied Tulley “but you are so Grymn.”
She leant forward and kissed him on the lips.
“You know that I love you, don’t you?” she said.
“I have known for a long time” replied Taters.
“It isn’t weird, is it?” asked Tulley.
“I have always been a Grymn inside my fabricated body. I am flattered that you looked past my form and fell in love with who I am, rather than what I am” replied Taters “I have had to learn a lot about myself in order to begin to feel the same way about you.”
“But you feel the same?” asked Tulley.
“Without question” replied Taters “but that is the easy part…”
“What do you mean?” asked Tulley.
“No one will accept a relationship between us, Drackus especially” replied taters “That will be the tricky part.”
“I know” replied Tulley and she slumped onto the desk beside the scanner “why is life so crazy?”
Taters sat next to her and said “I have no idea.
They both sat quietly looking at the floor for a while before Taters said “we’d better contact Mr. Doorman to fetch a shuttle.”
“Hmm… I guess so” replied Tulley “but it will wait for an hour, won’t it?”
“Why?” asked Taters.
“Well, you’ve gone to so much effort, it would be a shame not to carry out tests” said Tulley and she smiled at him in trepidation as she took his hand “shall we try?”
Taters sat for a moment and looked at her. He was completely at odds with himself.
“If you are sure?” he replied at length.
“Of course I’m not sure, silly” she said and grinned uncertainly “but what have we got to lose?”
“Everything” replied taters.
“Well if that is the case… it had better be good” she said as she shimmied off the desk and led taters away by the hand.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 11
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 11:38:40 AM »
“I don’t believe it!” said Elradar as he stormed across the courtyard “You dare to set foot in my palace after you stole from me?”
”Don’t be like that, honey” said Valerie as she sought out the protection of Drackus as Elradar approached.
“Tell me you haven’t fallen for this snake’s wiles, Drackus” said Elradar “You’ll get burned!”
“I reckon I’ll cope, old friend” replied Drackus with a grin.
“Hmmm… I guess I didn’t need the mace anyway…” replied Elradar and his face broke into a fierce grin “it is good to see you again… and so soon!”
Drackus shook hands with Elradar and in turn Elradar stooped and kissed Valerie on both cheeks.
“I know I am inviting trouble with you, m’lady” said Elradar “but you add a certain excitement to proceedings!”
“Thank you, El” said Valerie with an exaggerated curtsey.
“Come!” let us share tales together!” said Elradar as he put his hands on both of their shoulders and led them to the banquet hall “Doorman! Prepare a feast and bring me my concubine!” shouted Elradar. From out of nowhere, Doorman appeared and said “of course, my lord” before bowing and disappearing in the direction of the kitchens.

That evening, the crew all gathered in the banquet hall. Taters and Tulley were yet to arrive and when Elradar asked after them, Drackus mentioned they were still aboard The Obituary with barely suppressed anger and embarrassment. Once the drinks started to arrive, the talk turned to what had been happening since they had all last been together and Elradar sat in stunned silence as he listened.
“The Grymn have lost their home-world, the Sleiti have all but been destroyed and Chook’s planet suffered a civil war caused by Sleiti hybrids?” said Elradar “my affairs of state pale into insignificance when compared to such monumental and catastrophic events.”
“When you next see Taters, you will be in for a further surprise” said Drackus “his appearance has totally changed and he appears identical to a Grymn now.”
“Fascinating” said Elradar as he listened intently “and our Sleiti friends… they are all gone?”
“I am afraid that we must assume so” replied Drackus “we have Kaal’uin aboard the ship and he needs a resting place.”
“I extend my services for him… he may be laid to rest in the garden of heroes with Joo’an” replied Elradar.
“Thank you, old friend” replied Drackus “would it be possible to keep them apart… it was Joo’an’s last wish not to be linked with her home-world.”
“It will be so” replied Elradar.
A moment later, Doorman entered the hall and whispered in Elradar’s ear before being sent away.
“More guests are here” said Elradar and he grinned at Drackus.
“Miss Tulley and Master Taters” announced Doorman as the door opened and Tulley and Taters entered. They were both shown to their seats and Drackus stared at them furiously.
“I apologise for our lateness, your lordship” said Taters “we got caught up with the re-supply and lost track of time.
“Apology accepted, Taters” replied Elradar “it is good to see you again, even though you are unrecognisable from your previous form. You have obviously been through many trials to reach your new and surprising position.”
“That I have, Elradar” replied Taters “but the change is not complete and I would like to make a small announcement, if I may.”
“Ha! Of course you can… how exciting!” replied Elradar “carry on!”
“I…we…” said Taters as he looked towards Tulley “have decided that Taters doesn’t suit me as a name any more. We have thought about what would be more suitable and have decided upon Sven Oak-arm.”
“Excellent stuff!” boomed Elradar “something to celebrate.”
Taters looked at Tulley for a moment before saying “I’d also like to announce that Tulley and I are a couple.”
“NO!” shouted Drackus and he slammed his fists on the table causing cutlery and plates to be thrown to the floor “you have betrayed my trust!”
The room was silent as Drackus leapt to his feet and advanced towards Taters “I told you what would happen if you went too far… you swore to me that you would not pursue Tulley… I call you oath-breaker!” shouted Drackus.
Sally got to his feet and intercepted Drackus before he reached Taters.
“Captain, please don’t go any further…” said Sally “let him answer the charge.”
“I don’t care if he answers the charge… he knows what he is!” screamed Drackus “I will not share my ship with an oath-breaker!”
“Please!” said Sally as he restrained Drackus.
“No… I warned him… he will not return to my ship!” shouted Drackus as he glared furiously at Taters. With a final roar he stormed from the room “I’m sorry Elradar” he said as he burst through the doors and disappeared. Valerie made her excuses and rushed after him, leaving the silent banquet hall behind her.
Elradar sipped his drink as he looked at all the stunned faces around the table.
“That was unexpected” he said “to be honest… I am surprised it has taken you so long, Tate… I mean Sven.”
Sally glared at Elradar for a moment before turning to Sven and saying “what have you done?”
“I could not help myself” replied Sven “Tulley and I have become very close and now that I am a Grymn again we both felt that we could get together.”
“But you swore an oath to Drackus… you swore that you would not pursue Tulley… you knew what the outcome would be” said Sally solemnly “why did you continue with this?”
“When I swore the oath, I was Taters… a reploid” said Sven “now I am a Grymn… I have broken no oath… and I cannot control or choose who I love.”
“Tulley… you must see how wrong this is?” asked Sally “he is not as he appears.”
“He is exactly as he appears… just like Thorred is” said Tulley and she had no hint of her childish personality in her voice when she spoke “they are both Grymn in manufactured bodies… yet it is fine for Jela to marry Thorred but not for me to be with Sven?”
“She has a point!” said Elradar as he reclined in his seat, chewing on a bread roll.
“But you knew that Drackus would never allow you, of all people, to court someone like Taters” said Sally.
“Sven” replied Tulley “he is called Sven and he’s a Grymn… scan him and tell me he’s not.”
“What?” asked Sally “you know he’s not a Grymn?”
“Prove it then” replied Tulley “until you can, we will be together and there is nothing you or Drackus can do about it.”
“I always love it when The Obituary visits” said Elradar “Doorman, please serve the food… all this excitement is giving me an apetite!”
“Dinner is served” announced Doorman as the side doors opened and trays of food began to be brought in. Sally, Sven and Tulley returned to their seats and the room was silent while the food was placed on the table. One of the servants quickly cleared the broken plates and re-set the sitting before bowing and leaving the room.
“Doorman, please arrange for a meal to be served for Drackus and Valerie would you?” said Elradar.
“As you wish, lord” replied Doorman with a bow and he left the room.
“Well? Eat up before it gets cold!” said Elradar with a big grin on his face “so Tulley… when did you fall for his robotic charms then?”

“Drackus, you can’t throw him off the ship… Tulley will go with him” said Valerie.
“If that is the way of it, then I will not stand in her way” replied Drackus as he angrily paced up and down the suite “They knew what would happen…”
“I am sure they didn’t choose this course of action just to upset you, Dee” replied Valerie but she didn’t approach him because she knew it would infuriate him further “these things just happen.”
“Not on my ship, they don’t… and certainly not with my Tulley!” shouted Drackus.
“She isn’t your Tulley!” said Valerie flatly “in case you hadn’t noticed, she is a grown woman and not a child… and she is certainly not YOUR child… you have no claim over her.”
“She is my daughter… or as good as damn it… I took her in and treated her as my own flesh and blood” replied Drackus “how could she betray me like this?”
“She has betrayed no one” replied Valerie “she has just found a little happiness; that is all.”
“But he isn’t natural… she may as well become attached to a water re-cycling unit” said Drackus as he continued to fume.
“That is an absurd thing to say and you know it!” replied Valerie “Taters is as much a part of the crew as everybody else… without him, some of us would not be here to have comment on this.”
“I will not have him on my ship” replied Drackus “I set my terms and he chose to ignore them… I am the captain of my ship and I expect my crew to obey my orders… if I let this slip, then what next?”
“Don’t be absurd, Dee” said Valerie “this isn’t a broken order… you can’t dictate to people who they fall in love with.”
“I’ve made my decision” said Drackus and burst through the doors onto the balcony and leant heavily on the railings.
“Feth!” said Valerie “I’m going back to the banquet hall… I hope you enjoy the rest of the evening being grumpy!”
She left the suite; slamming the door in the process.

“Budge up Sally!” said Valerie when she re-joined the banquet “EL, is there any chance of some Cognac? I am in need of something stiff!”
Elradar choked on his drink before replying “of course, my dear.” He signalled to one of the attending waitresses who left the room and returned a moment later with a decanter of Cognac; setting it down next to Valerie before returning to her position. Valerie took the stopper from the bottle and raised it in Elradar’s direction before taking a swig from it.
“That is much better!” she said. She looked around the room and the crew seemed to be far too uncomfortable.
“Good on you Tulley and Sven” said Valerie and she raised her bottle to them before taking another drink “so, Sally, how are we going to sort this mess out?”
“I don’t think we can” he replied “I have rarely seen Drackus so furious outside of battle… and even then it was always because of Tulley.”
“You know that he will be leaving here without Sven… and Tulley if she won’t leave him behind” said Valerie as she took another drink.
“I know” replied Sally with a sad look on his face.
“If that is what happens, I wonder if he has thought about who will maintain the ship… there is no team I know that could do the job as well as those two over there” said Valerie as she pointed towards Tulley and Sven “I fear he hasn’t thought this through properly.”
“Hmm…” replied Sally.
Tulley and Sven sat quietly together and nibbled at their food. Sven knew that Tulley was really upset by Drackus’s outburst but he couldn’t help but feel much better now that everything was out in the open.
“You know that you will both be welcome as my guests until things sort themselves out, don’t you?” said Elradar to Tulley and Sven.
“Thank you, Elradar” replied Sven and Tulley smiled weakly towards him in thanks.
Thorred looked towards his brother and did not know what to do.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:51:02 AM by Inso »

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 12
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »
Thorred, Sally, Chook and Drackus braced themselves as they lowered Kaal’uin’s casket into the soil of the garden of heroes. Moments later Thorred placed the small box containing Rask’s remains into the ground next to Kaal’uin. Elradar read a small service and they all left the garden while some funeral staff properly filled in the graves.
“I wonder if those were the very last of their kind” said Elradar.
“I would doubt that all of the Sleiti were destroyed” replied Drackus “there must be traders or explorers that missed the end of their home-world.”
“Who knows?” said Elradar “are you certain that you wish to leave today?”
“Yes, I’m afraid so” replied Drackus “I need to get off-world to have some time to think.”
“I will have a shuttle arranged for you then” said Elradar “where do you plan to visit?”
“Fasterre… I will be able to pick up a new engineer there” replied Drackus.
“Are you sure that will be necessary, old friend?” said Elradar “I hope you don’t rush into making a decision that you may live to regret.”
“Tulley and Taters have made their choice” said Drackus bluntly.
“Well, if you are sure…”replied Elradar.
“I am” said Drackus “they have removed their personal effects and I will be leaving without them.”

“You’ve really done it now” said Thorred.
“It was only a matter of time… at least we are in a safe place to plan our future” replied Sven.
“But what about me?” asked Thorred “how am I going to keep an eye on you now?”
“I will make sure that we remain in contact… I have the comms codes for The Obituary” said Sven.
“I’ll miss you, brother” said Thorred.
“Likewise but we both knew that we would eventually take different paths… especially once I gained my new body” said Sven “I would have preferred to remain onboard the ship but that choice has been taken from me.”
“I wish things had been different” said Thorred.
“So do I but we have to make difficult decisions sometimes and there is no way Tulley and I could have kept apart for ever…” said Sven “I had no idea I was going to change so radically but now that I have, there seems no other choice but to leave the ship with Tulley.”
“What are you going to do?” asked Thorred.
“We will join another ship as mechanics” replied Sven “Grymn sized mechanics are highly sought after because we can get to places larger people can’t.”

Sven and Tulley went to say their goodbyes at the shuttle-pad but Drackus had already boarded. The rest of the crew gathered around and said their farewells. By the time the shuttle left the ground, Tulley was crying uncontrollably and Sven held her close and said nothing.

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 09:30:32 PM »
I haven't had the chance to read your story for the past couple of weeks and I just got through the last four episodes. I have to say that I enjoyed them immensely, thank you very much :D

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 06:50:45 AM »
What Kev said  :applause:
                   For 2014

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 08:02:11 AM »
I have reached a point that I have planned for, for a long time now. The original story was called 'The Duplicate adventures' because this was always going to be about T87 / Taters / Sven and his adventures... with plenty of padding when things were quiet for him.

Don't expect to see too much of the crew from The Obituary any more.

Tulley and Sven will be joining a cruise liner... ;)

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn Fluff - Eastern Endeavours Part 13
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 02:44:41 PM »
“Valerie will work on him” said Elradar “You’ll be back on board before you know it.”
“I think even Valerie will be unable to change the captain’s mind” replied Sven “I have broken his trust and in his position, I may well have taken the same stance. It just pains me that Tulley has had to leave her home.”
“Well, as long as you look after her, she’ll be fine” said Elradar.
“We’ll need to find a ship to work on” replied Sven.
“Many ships visit Charran so finding a crew job shouldn’t be too difficult” said Elradar.
“I hope so” replied Sven “as gracious as you have been about us remaining here, I think we need to sort ourselves out as soon as possible and get moving… it will take Tulley’s mind off things.”
“I would tend to agree with you” replied Elradar “just remember that both of you are always welcome here.”
“Thank you, I appreciate that” replied Sven.

Over the next couple of days, Sven sorted through his belongings and arranged to sell all of the reploid components and his charging booth. Now that he was self sufficient, he was pleased to be disposing of his obsolete equipment. Tulley did similar and managed to compress all of her tools and clothing down to three holdalls. What they couldn’t take with them was left in a storage locker at the palace and Doorman made sure that it was properly secured. Sven and Tulley caught a shuttle the next day after thanking Elradar for his hospitality and saying their farewells. When they reached the space dock, they spent the day travelling from ship to ship asking for work but were unsuccessful so they booked a room in one of the many hotels and prepared to continue their search the following day. Once they had booked in and dropped their bags off, they both went to the bar and found a table where they could order some food.
“I like watching you eat” said Tulley “you savour everything.”
“Although I remember eating things from Thorred’s past, actually doing it is a whole new experience and I am learning to taste things again” replied Sven “every mouthful is a new experience for me.”
“Do you think we’ll find work?” asked Tulley “it may be very difficult because we want to be employed together.”
“We will get work” replied Sven “even if I have to show off my abilities in order to get it.”
“I don’t know why you are so keen to hide your abilities when you know it will help things” replied Tulley.
“I want to be employed as a Grymn. Then if the needs must, I will have an extra tool kit in an emergency” replied Sven “it is always helpful to have a surprise up your sleeve.”
“I guess so” replied Tulley. They both paused while the waitress refilled their coffee cups and left them in peace.
“Maybe we should ask the proprietor if he knows any one who needs a pair of mechanics” said Tulley.
“A pair of mechanics?” said an overweight and balding man who had appeared behind Sven “I couldn’t help overhearing your conversation. Are you two mechanics?”
“Yes, we are” replied Sven.
“What do you specialise in?” asked the man.
“Pretty much anything” replied Tulley “I like to play with engines the most though.”
“And what about you, son?” asked the man as he pulled up a chair and sat to the side of the table. He took a small piece of bread from Sven’s plate and popped it into his mouth “what are you good at?”
Sven looked at the man for a second before replying “I can fix anything that has a manual and have a lot of experience with engines and all manner of systems including life support, environmental, hydraulic, fuel, electronic, fibre optic and am well versed in structural repairs.”
“And you two are together?” asked the man as he took a further piece of bread.
“Yes” replied Sven simply.
“Are you prepared to travel for long periods of time… do you have ties anywhere?” asked the man.
“We have no ties, apart from between the two of us” said Tulley.
“Can you turn your hands to any other work?” asked the man.
“I can operate anything that has a manual… that would include flying a vessel or manning guns” replied Sven “and we have both been required to defend ourselves and our ship in the past.”
“My name is Mr. Brown and I own a small ship called The Cheerful Drake” said the man and he extended his hand for Tulley and Sven to shake “I would be pleased if you would come and take a tour of the vessel and we can talk about terms of employment.”
Tulley looked at Sven and smiled. Mr. Brown stood up and said “well?”
Sven and Tulley paid for their meal and followed the man from the hotel.

The Cheerful Drake looked far from it. It was matt black all over apart from a small, red dragon symbol on both sides, just below the smoked glass of the front screens. There were angles all over it and Sven knew it was a stealth craft immediately. After a quick scan, he also realised that it was almost exactly the same size as The Obituary although its style was completely different and it didn’t appear to have any external weapons. Mr. Brown bade them to follow him as they made their way down the docking tube to the main entrance of the vessel. When they arrived at the hatch, it slid open and there was an overweight woman stood just inside, waiting for them.
“Welcome, Mr. Brown” said the woman.
“Welcome Mrs. Brown” said the man.
Tulley looked at Sven because she thought the greeting was a little bit strange but they both followed Mr. Brown into the ship and the door slid closed behind them. They made their way from the entrance to the bridge and were shown various mechanical systems and consoles as they went. They were also shown a selection of spacious cabins and storage areas that were currently empty. The ship was in pristine condition… in fact it looked brand new.
“Here we are” said Mr. Brown as they entered the bridge. Sitting in the pilot’s chair there was a large arachnid creature that studied Tulley and Sven as they entered.
“Welcome Mr. Brown” said the arachnid.
“Welcome Mr. Septus” replied Mr. Brown “I’d like you to meet…”
“Tulley and Sven” said Mr. Septus.
“Exactly” replied Mr. Brown.
“Are you a psyker?” asked Tulley.
“No, Miss Tulley… I just read your name badges” he replied as he unfurled one of his long, spindly limbs and touched each of the badges that Tulley had lovingly created.
“I’d forgotten about those” said Tulley with a broad grin.
“I doubt that they will be needed on board this ship” said Mr. Septus “that is, if you are invited to join the crew.”
“I am just conducting the tour before we discuss terms, Mr. Septus” said Mr. Brown.
“Then it is a done deal… welcome aboard, Miss Tulley and Master Sven” said Septus and he extended a limb for them to shake hands with.
“Thank you” they both said.
“You are most welcome” replied Mr. Septus.
“Come, let us adjourn to my office and we will talk about all our requirements” said Mr. Brown and they all followed him, including Septus.

“Here we go again” said Sven as he pulled the small trolley with their belongings on towards the dock where The Cheerful Drake was birthed.
“Yep!” said Tulley and Sven could tell that she was both happy and sad as they approached the ship.
“You are aware that nothing is as it seems, aren’t you?” said Sven.
“The Browns appear to be mechanical, yes” said Tulley “and Septus appears to be the leader.”
“Yes but it took a while for me to work out that Septus was the captain” replied Sven “I think he was expecting his appearance to put off applicants.”
“Do you think the Browns are robots or just wearing suits?” asked Tulley.
“Judging by their voices, they sounded organic so I would suspect that they are suits” replied Sven “Septus seems to be organic though.”
“Yes, I thought that too” replied Tulley.
“Well, here we are” said Sven. Mr. Brown was waiting at the hatch for them to enter.
“Welcome crewmates” said Mr. Brown.
“Welcome Mr. Brown” said Tulley and Sven in unison before they entered the ship and the door closed behind them.
“You know where your cabins are so I’ll let you get settled” said Mr. Brown “we will be leaving shortly so once you are settled, please come to the bridge.”
“Thank you, we will” said Tulley and they all went about their business.
“I am waiting to find out what sort of trading we will be doing” said Tulley.
“Judging by the ship, I would suggest that it has to be done on the quiet so my guess would either be weapons, drugs or slaves” said Sven.
“I hope it isn’t slaves or drugs” said Tulley “weapons I could cope with.”
“Hmm” replied Sven as he hung his clothes up in his wardrobe “I agree that weapons would be the best of a bad job but you never know; we may just be a relief vessel or something.”
“Well, whatever it is, I think it is nice that we have a lovely cabin and that we are together” said Tulley “anything else is a bonus.”
“I hear you there, love” replied Sven.
“That’s me done” said Tulley.
“Let’s go to the bridge” replied Sven.

“Welcome, Miss Tulley and Master Sven” said Septus when they arrived “Could you tell me your thoughts of the crew?”
“You are the captain” said Tulley “and Mr. and Mrs. Brown are wearing some sort of mechanical suits.”
“And what of the ship?” asked Septus.
“The ship is a stealth vessel that is rigged for speed and evasion” said Sven “from the quick access to the computers on our tour, there are three concealed turrets and a small section of the ship contains missile tubes.”
“What do you think we may be involved with, knowing what you do?” asked Septus.
“My thoughts would be subterfuge, piracy or smuggling” replied Sven again “my guess would be gun-running.”
“And at no point have you found your current situation alarming?” asked Septus.
“It isn’t anything out of the ordinary for us” replied Tulley “and Sven will look after me so why should I find this alarming?”
“You place a lot of trust in your friend” said Septus.
“We all have our secrets” replied Tulley.
“Indeed we do” replied Septus and he paused for a moment whilst studying them both “I think that we can dispense with the disguises now.”
Mr. and Mrs. Brown looked at each other and fiddled with their belt buckles for a moment. They both then stood with their arms to their sides as the front of their bodies opened up; showing the mechanical insides of the robot fat-suits. They stepped out and Tulley was surprised to see that they were both Grymn wearing a rubber version of a Sleiti bio-suit.
“I thought you would be human” said Tulley.
“There wouldn’t have been room if we were” said Mr. Brown.
“I am Anna” said Mrs. Brown and she shook Sven’s and Tulleys hand.
“I am Odin” said Mr. Brown as he did likewise.
“We are both able to fly and run the ship but we needed an extra couple of hands and for two Grymn to show up asking for work was too good an opportunity to miss” said Anna.
“Especially because neither of us are very mechanically minded… well, not to the depth we need to be, anyway” said Odin.
“So Mr. Septus is the leader then?” asked Tulley.
“I am the captain, yes” said Septus “and you may call me captain or Septus… I have no truck with formalities.”
“Are there any other crew members we haven’t met yet?” asked Sven.
“No, there is only what you see” replied Septus “did you expect more?”
“To be honest, yes” replied Sven “this ship can’t fly itself.”
“Well… actually…” said Septus.
“I can” said a metallic voice through the various speakers around the bridge.
“That is Drake” said Septus “he is our ship’s automated control system interface computer.”
“That is cool!” said Tulley “hello Drake.”
“Welcome, Miss Tulley… Master Sven” replied Drake.
“Master Sven, my scans indicate that you have an unusual bio-signature” said Drake.
Sven looked around and thought for a moment before his face reverted to a smoky crystal colour. Once he had shown everyone, he returned to his chosen flesh colour.
“As Tulley said, we all have our secrets” said Sven.
“Well, I am sure that they will lessen with time” said Septus “Drake, let us depart and set a course for Dural 3.”
“It will be so” replied Drake and there was an immediate feeling of movement as the engines began to power up, closely followed by the sound of docking clamps releasing.
“Feel free to explore the ship and inspect the systems” said Septus “our first shipment will be collected at Dural 3.”
“What will it be?” asked Tulley.
“Interesting” replied Septus and he turned to look out of the front screens.

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 07:22:42 AM »
 :applause: only a couple of things i had trouble with is that Tulley can get every thing she needs for a prolonged time into 3 holdalls (wife used more than that for a week away) and Sven hanging things up  :lmao:
                   For 2014

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 12:24:56 PM »
Tulley is a mechanic...that makes her someone who doesn't mind slumming it and someone who is quite prepared to make logical choices (carrying more than three bags would be too difficult)... she can also buy what she needs or fetch it at a later date from Charran.

Sven has only just started to wear clothes. Clothes are a novelty to him at the moment so he takes great care with them (hence he hangs things up). Food is treated specially as well because he hasn't been able to eat up until fairly recently.

ALSO... Elradar has the rest of their belongings in storage on Charran :) .

... and yet you don't have any trouble with an arachnid captain? Curious :mrgreen:!