Author Topic: 2012 SCULPTING COMPETITION  (Read 260070 times)

Offline Internalclock

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 SCULPTING COMPETITION
« Reply #700 on: October 14, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »
So... Whats the deets for the next comp?  8)

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.artemisblacks.com
« Reply #701 on: October 14, 2013, 01:38:18 PM »

Rule #1 - Next person who asks about it can't enter ;)

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 14, 2013, 01:53:24 PM »
Also, thanks to Balgin Stondraeg for his vote, that shieldmaiden was mine. Totally agree that it's far for perfect, and I'd love it to have another go, or at least add some putty to make certain parts stand out more, definitely redo some parts of the chainmail - didn't have time for all that at time of the competition, as the last layer was barely dry when I had to take the pics and send her in!
The shield was entirely flat by the way, that 'damage' was just a stain (pressed putty in a slightly rusty piece of metal that was exactly the right shape - couldn't for the life of me create a good circle otherwise!).

That's alright. I really liked her. She had character. I considered rummaging through my bits box for a makeshift shoulder pad to cover that off the shoulder blouse look or actually leaving it bare. It sparked a lot of thought and that's always a good thing for me. The boots weren't quite historical but that also gave pause for thought. She's mostly practical but........ why does shew ear these magic boots of hobbling imbalance? Perhaps they are cursed? Maybe they aren't magical after all  :huh?:  muahahahaha.
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline Coenus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 14, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »
I figured that if women can walk, even dance on high heels, an immortal valkyrie should be able to fight that way!
She is meant to be a mix between Norse shieldmaiden (chainmail, regular shield and axe) and fantasy elements (chainmail as dress with long sleeves and bare shoulder, high heels) so that people could use her as both - in an ideal world, I'd have made two such fighty females, a seperate one for each purpose. Will probably still do so at some point, when I've got a bit more sculpting experience (this entry was only my second sculpt).

Offline Bungle

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 14, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »

So... you going to tell us. Unless its 50's B-movie and you want a blob, I won't be entering.  :lol:
Bungle         Steders loves goats                Ben Loves badgers

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: October 14, 2013, 03:36:53 PM »

So... you going to tell us. Unless its 50's B-movie and you want a blob, I won't be entering.  :lol:

Nah, won't be til 2014. Way too much stuff to do before getting back to a Sculpting Contest and the next one will be considerably shorter in timescale :)

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: October 14, 2013, 07:07:28 PM »
Balgy   as ive said from the start, I entered for the fun of it, and had no delusions a bought my chances of winning ( and even fewer ones when I saw the quality of some of the other entry's :jawdrop:).
If I get any where in the HF choice set you'll be able to knock me down with a feather, id be so surprised.
But as I said above  :thumbup: and  :applause:  to the winners.
they are well smart looking.
a happy dauber

Offline Sigur

• Brush for Hire
  • Minion
    • View Profile
    • Visit Battle Brush Studios
« Reply #707 on: December 02, 2013, 06:01:21 PM »
Sorry, a bit late on the reply.

Anyway, congratulations to the winners. I especially like the fantasy entries.  :thumbup:

I (entering the winged manga-like armoured person in Sci-Fi) didn't win but I didn't expect to. HOWEVER, it got me to sculpting and I really enjoy having this model now, especially now that I can paint it as well. :) Congratulations to everybody who entered, thanks for organizing it to several HF minis people and I'm very much looking forward to the next comp!

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 02, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »

As a reminder brouight me to this thread i should let everyone know that it's incredibly unlikely we'll manage to get the casting done before Christmas.

It took us 2 weeks to catch up with the orders from while we were in the US and then we went straight into December Bonus time. I haven't even had time to come here and update with stuff etc (I'll do that over the next couple days).

Any spare time for moulding is being taken up by fixing existing moulding issues. Sorry guys.

Offline Coenus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 03, 2013, 06:07:39 PM »
Really no need to apoligize, it's not like we are entitled to get our free bits before any set date or so.

Appreciate the update though!

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 05, 2014, 07:21:57 AM »
wee update? :) Doing my bestest to hold out ordering the scifi female trooper so it can be sent back with my greens :)

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 06, 2014, 05:56:30 PM »
wee update? :) Doing my bestest to hold out ordering the scifi female trooper so it can be sent back with my greens :)

We're hoping to find time at the end of this month to meet with the caster and sort out what can be done with each of the entries. The biggest issue we have is that all the casters, especially the best ones like we use, have already started receiving orders from companies for Salute.

We 'will' get it done, obviously, it may end up being piecemeal aas we squeeze in one mould at a time to schedules.

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 07, 2014, 07:25:31 AM »
*shakes fist at salute*

Offline Grulgor

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 04, 2014, 04:47:45 PM »
Well I can't grumble too much as this will be my first time at Salute so I would rather everyone had their stock ready for me to bankrupt myself on!

Quick check, will you be double checking addresses before anything goes ahead as I might've moved (once or twice) since the comp?

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 05, 2014, 07:25:24 AM »
dear god not another complication  :blub:

Offline Leader of the Rats

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 24, 2014, 08:03:01 AM »
Is this still a thing or was it dropped/backburner? I don't see any of the winners in the store yet so it got me wondering.
Excuse me...Just looking for my pants.

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 24, 2014, 03:57:27 PM »
 :metoo:  wondering the same thing a bit here as were now nearly 2 years on from the announcement of the competition..
a happy dauber

Offline Artemis Black

• Global Moderator
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 27, 2014, 07:00:39 PM »

It is currently the number 1 thing on our plate, had a meeting with Sal today about it, we've sorted a proper plan and now Salute and Jenn's holiday is done with, the casters have time for such things again and we can proceed.

We're heading personally over to the casters next week with minis in hand and will start the production process. This'll take a while and we will contact everyone who either Kev has vetoed as uncastable or the caster (who gets final word) has done to let them know the bad news. Masters moulds will be made and castings checked as some of the minis may look castable for the outside but may not survive the physical casting process as we can't see any of the underlying work.

Once we have masters in hand we will check with everyone who entered and make sure we have their current details. What will more than likely happen then is it'll take a month or so to make moulds and get castings etc. and during that period we will let people know that if they make an ordetr they should inform us and we can see if we have enough castings to get them their set and green early. Once we have everything in hand, we will send out the rest.

No matter what, this will all be sorted before our move to a new premises.

There's not much we can say in regards to an apology that hasn't been said, once somethign went wrong it just snowballed and became more and more of an issue to resolve and we've hadless and less a chane to actually do it. Something always seemed to crop up. 'Hopefully' the end result will be worth it for most of you guys and we have a nice long list of 'what not to do' for the next one :)

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 27, 2014, 09:00:19 PM »
Nice to know where we are at, at the moment. Thanks :)
Looking forward to see what happens as well.

Offline Internalclock

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 28, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
I think You have done a bang up job of sticking to your guns and still doing your best even with the problems and the massive spike in interest scaling everything.  :applause:

Offline Bioptic

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: June 04, 2014, 11:32:44 AM »
Yes, I must confess to being part of the interest spike! I'd never entered anything that I'd sculpted in a competition before, and the very low barrier to entry combined with a (at the time) guaranteed cast of my work in metal seemed too good to be true. Along with the vague hope of being able to vanity-order extra copies of it from Hasslefree for my friends...

But seeing all of the entrants, one of the things I'm most excited about is getting to paint such a huge diversity of models! The underlying armature has quite a distinct look and pose, so it's impressive just how much the style of each sculptor works around that.

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
    • PaintingPossum miniature painting
« Reply #721 on: July 01, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »
Did you make the progress you'd hoped through June? Any idea of an eta on anything?

Also what new premises? I thought you guys only moved into a new office last year :O

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 11, 2014, 10:23:52 PM »
Take the lack of response as a no..?

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 16, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
Does anyone even use this forum anymore..?

Offline Coenus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 16, 2014, 09:42:45 PM »
From newsletter some two weeks ago:
"We finally have some news regarding our sculpting contest from way back that hit some serious turbulence. Will share that on FB  when we get back from the casters sometime this week and in our next newsletter."

Nothing in a newsletter since, as far as I know.

Does anyone even use this forum anymore..?
Yes. Normally in vain...  :erm: