Author Topic: 2012 SCULPTING COMPETITION  (Read 260067 times)

Offline Ben Brownlie

• Badger Loving Fluffster
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
  • Ninja Hugger of Doom
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
Re: 2012 SCULPTING COMPETITION
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2012, 01:37:51 PM »
Damn, I snapped

Cos you're too skinny

Offline freakinacage

• heretic and heathen
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
Quiet fat boy!

Offline hobbesgoblin

• Worthless Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2012, 07:59:23 PM »
It's about time for me to say "I'll give it a go!" and never get around to doing anything about it isn't it? :D

I was just thinking the same for myself...

I'd also like to echo the earlier question about which category "steampunk" might fall into ;)

Dude are you doing your missus' character from our game? Coz that was my idea! :)

I hear tell that the Pope is a Cat-a-holic...  :paranoid2:

Thats one of my idea's, and if only one of the 5 in my head gets done I hope it'll be that one, but don't let that stop you - more steampunk kick-assery is always better than less ;)

Also, my armatures are in the mail  :angel:

Offline caerban

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • The Dark Side of the Moomin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2012, 08:47:10 PM »
It's about time for me to say "I'll give it a go!" and never get around to doing anything about it isn't it? :D

I was just thinking the same for myself...

I'd also like to echo the earlier question about which category "steampunk" might fall into ;)

Dude are you doing your missus' character from our game? Coz that was my idea! :)

I hear tell that the Pope is a Cat-a-holic...  :paranoid2:

Thats one of my idea's, and if only one of the 5 in my head gets done I hope it'll be that one, but don't let that stop you - more steampunk kick-assery is always better than less ;)

Also, my armatures are in the mail  :angel:

Ordered my 3 last night too, ya cheeky wee scunner ;)
I've only got a month too. I'm in the House o'Doom for all of August!
"No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head."

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »
Got my 'victim' today.
Is it ok to make it multipart? I got a bit of an idea  :horror:

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »
I starded working today on my entry, at first I wanted to do a dryad in the midst of transforming from tree to human form but seeing the size of the mini and my low sculptingskills it was a no-go.
Instead I opted to do a spidertaur or censpider or whatever you call an eight-legged animal with a human torso attached to it.
Since it's a female I based her on the infamous Black Widow spider so no big, fat hairy creep but a sleek and mean looking nasty.
It all goes surprisingly well, sculpting wise that is.
There's one tiny detail about me: I'm arachnophobic but the fact that I hop around the livingroom shivvering and emitting sounds of disgust regularly means that I'm on the right track of things  :dance:

Offline SAbel

• Worthless Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 04:32:05 AM »
Hello from the states :)
I am interested in the competition, do you know when you will have more HFL503 female Armatures in stock, any idea what shipping cost to the USA would be. Do the finished works need to me mailed/recieved before Sept 1st or just have pictures sent in and then the winner(s) are mailed to you.

On a seperate note, Do you go to GenCon (in the US) I know that Mantic has been coming here for years now, I would just like to know if you had planned on a trip over for the con. There are several items I would like to see before I purchase.

Thank you for your time,

Sean

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2012, 06:08:08 AM »
Aargh, just went to the site and no armatures available. If I make a purchase and put in the code ARMATURE would you be able to hold onto the order until they are in stock just so that I make sure to get one. I'd rather pay you for it though. Could I perhaps purchase something else that is 2.50+ and then when you get the armatures in stock send the order on instead of the other item? Or is that too much mucking around?

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2012, 07:13:38 AM »
I have been told that more casts should be available today.
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
  • M.E. is NOT a figment of my imagination
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2012, 10:43:35 AM »
Can you swap heads?

yes if you want to.

Is the start date the date entries are allowed to be entered from?

the closing date is when i want to see images sent over, over the summer holidays it is pretty chaotic here and i wouldnt want things to get lost.  i will create a new email address for the entries to go to and post it nearer the time.

Hmmm. When is the metal barbarian girl likely to see release?
just waiting for resin masters for 'Veda Ann' or did you mean 'Delphine?

Am I reading this correct?
Each entrant will get a metal casting of his/hers own figure + castings of the winners?

Isn't there a specific standard to reach then?

we have never had this question pop up before, usually the standard is pretty good and we have never had anyone enter just for the free castings...i think most poeple would be to embarrassed to try this as they know we dont have a lot of spare money to throw away.

I mean... that's like 7 metal castings in change of a free armature with a green 'blob' stuck on... (not that I think anyone would be so rude to play it that way.. but... you never know... you might have to make moulds for a lot of ... errr  :? (if I enter that is of course  ;)  ) ?

it is one of the downsides to the competition i suppose but as the standard is usually very high we have never had this issue or even a suggestion of this issue before.

Oh, just to make sure... is "steampunk" considered as part of the fantasy-range?

points will be given for how characters integrate with our current ranges.  i think i answered this somewhere else but i am so tired i cant remember what i said!

I might even try this one...
that will be interesting!

Just tried to order some of the armatures and their bloody well out of stock!!!! :blub:
we are restocking on them each week at the moment.  when i allocated the moulds i anticipated people choosing to enter maybe 1 or 2 categories however they are being ordered in quantities of between 4 and 9 which meant the stock i had disappeared overnight.  I am collecting some more this week and have popped her into another mould

I read on facebook about plasticard not being allowed because it melts in the mold-making.
So that means the molds you make are in metal?

the moulds are in rubber.  to form the cavity the sculpt is placed between two rubber discs and put under pressure and heat for a period of time.  the rubber melts and takes the shape of the sculpt.  Plasticard will bend and warp in the mould as it is heated which means the resulting cavity will be un-usable and the sculpt destroyed.

Do you know of any other epoxy's or sculpting stuff that are allowed (or not), such as Instant Putty, Sculpy, Brown Stuff, Grey stuff,  ... ?

Fimo can crumble in the mould, most epoxys are okay

Also, are there any limitations in size to keep it castable?
(e.g. if you would add a banner, how huge can it be? or if you give her wings, how wide can it max be?)
(Not that I plan to (try to) make a 25-components version that would need a dozen of molds in total though...).

We use 9" rubber moulds.  the figure cannot be more than 2cm deep ideally.  we price figures based on what proportion of the mould they use.  we can divide the mould into 16 'unit allocations'.  a singel-piece figure will use 1 allocation, multi-piece can use 2 or 3.  to maximise the profit from a mould ideally sculpts need to be single units as if we use up more than 1 unit then we have to price it accordingly and this can price the sculpt out of the reach of what people might be prepared to pay, especially for a competition entry.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:50:27 AM by libertee »
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

most mornings i wake up grumpy.   sometimes i just let him sleep.

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2012, 10:46:31 AM »
I am interested in the competition, do you know when you will have more HFL503 female Armatures in stock, any idea what shipping cost to the USA would be. Do the finished works need to me mailed/recieved before Sept 1st or just have pictures sent in and then the winner(s) are mailed to you.

just pictures to come to us by September 1st.  I will post image requirements nearer the time with the email address specifically for the competition

On a seperate note, Do you go to GenCon (in the US) I know that Mantic has been coming here for years now, I would just like to know if you had planned on a trip over for the con. There are several items I would like to see before I purchase.

sorry, no, it is too far for us to go as much as we would love to come over.
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »
Aargh, just went to the site and no armatures available. If I make a purchase and put in the code ARMATURE would you be able to hold onto the order until they are in stock just so that I make sure to get one. I'd rather pay you for it though. Could I perhaps purchase something else that is 2.50+ and then when you get the armatures in stock send the order on instead of the other item? Or is that too much mucking around?

Just loading some more up.

Offline Revliss

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2012, 03:15:30 AM »
ok  i  just  order 3  armatures and a bunch  of  metal balls ..  i just  can't  order  the  armatures with  out  really  buying  any thing  that  just  feel  so  wrong... i  am  going enter all 3  categories.. lest  just  hope  the  armatures get to me  on  time .. i  will  try  hard  not  to  disappoint any  one  with  my  sculpting skill ( emm green stuff  me shiver ) my reputation  is  on the line  :metoo:

Offline gi6ers

• Clatto Verata N... Necktie
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2012, 04:48:01 AM »
ok  i  just  order 3  armatures and a bunch  of  metal balls

:shock:

Offline Revliss

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 05:17:41 AM »
ok  i  just  order 3  armatures and a bunch  of  metal balls

:shock:

emm that not what i going to use  it for i am crazy/lazy but that not it

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
    • PaintingPossum miniature painting
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »

Not entirely sure but I think there are rules about entering competitions from outside the hosting country. Could be talking crap, but I've seen US companies refuse UK entrants to contests because of such rules. Might wanna have a looksy to be on the safe side.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »
Might be true but hasslefree are a nice friendly company and inclusive of everyone. They would have stated otherwise in their competition rules, I'd imagine, as the FOD is made up of people from many different countries (although largely the UK)

Offline PossumCraft

• Heretic
    • View Profile
    • PaintingPossum miniature painting
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2012, 09:16:05 PM »
Aye, but that doesn't mean they know all the rules! I'm just trying to help them avoid trouble. It doesn't matter how nice you are, the rules still apply :( And if I understand correctly, these aren't contest rules but something more serious. May be wrong, just offering a heads up based on what I've seen elsewhere.

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2012, 09:37:04 PM »
well ive ordered 4 dollies...... theyll go in the lead pile with everything else till insperation hits...... :shrug:
a happy dauber

Offline mcfonz

• Dark Lord
  • Gulp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »
I might add one to an order this evening.

It's going to take a lot for me to do one let alone 2,3 or 4. Especially to a standard that would be worth you guys wanting to cast.

I would feel guilty ordering more and having them still sitting there unworked upon once the competition closes.
Addicted drewling gibbering slave of the FOD and its mini makers, painters and fans . . . . .
http://mcfonz.blogspot.com

Offline BushiArtist

• Worthless Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2012, 10:56:55 PM »
I'm planning on getting 3, knew I should have ordered a few days ago though, hopefully I'll be able to order some soon, got a few ideas for each category but the one I'm most interested in might take some time to do justice, especially seeing as most of my sculpting has been little bits.

Offline Pleasurepain

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2012, 12:39:34 AM »
Any more on order? They've all gone again.  :(

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2012, 03:42:45 AM »
Glad I got my couple then. Should arrive any dat now. So many ideas in so little time!!

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2012, 08:24:41 AM »
I think that the competition start / finish dates should be delayed for a few days so that everyone has an equal time to compete. Once stock is available normally, then the competition should start.

It will save any perceived unfairness being mentioned.

I only need a few days for mine but I'm sure there are people who need every second they can get.
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2012, 09:03:24 AM »
Some people have already started. I'll get through mine pretty quickly as well especially as I have a week and a half off still.