Author Topic: Sword & Shield/Axe & Shield  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
Sword & Shield/Axe & Shield
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:40:41 PM »
My initial thoughts are roughly as follows:

1: I'm really going to regret doing the skin before the metal parts of that armour.
2: The effing flash. The effing flash! How do I turn off the effing flash?
3: I always get this skin tone wrong. It usualy takes me at least three attempts to get it right whereas all the other skintones I do come out right the first time. So I might redo the skin. I wonder if some very thinned down chestnut ink might improve the skin. Probably ruin it.
4: Lips aren't done yet.
5: The sword goes well with the shield. The axe goes well with the shield. The sword does not go well with the head but the axe does. Maybe I should start a poll.
6: Now that I've seen the photo's I've missed some skin (on the forehead beside the hair and the belly between some plates of armour). I can patch those up later or do them when I redo the skin. If I redo the skin.
7: I should total send her to Kev & Sally for "official photo taking" when she's done put they'd probably want the axe and head for shop pics instead.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:47:57 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline gi6ers

• Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • Clatto Verata N... Necktie
    • View Profile
Re: Sword & Shield/Axe & Shield
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:33:04 PM »

2: The effing flash. The effing flash! How do I turn off the effing flash?
3: I always get this skin tone wrong. It usualy takes me at least three attempts to get it right whereas all the other skintones I do come out right the first time. So I might redo the skin. I wonder if some very thinned down chestnut ink might improve the skin. Probably ruin it.

2.  Button that looks like a lightning bolt, press it until it has a pic of a lightning bolt with a cross through it.  Also buy some lights.  I'm sure your pics don't do your stuff justice.

3.  Chestnut ink + flesh = bad thing.  Dunno what the equivalent is in the new GW ranges but they did a flesh wash that was great.

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
Dunno what the equivalent is in the new GW ranges but they did a flesh wash that was great.

Funnily enough I've still got the old Citadel paint sets from the early 90's Colour, Monster, Ink and one more. What was it?  Anyway, I've still got a pot of that somewhere. I sense the ink would ruin the eye 'though. I was thinking of using chestnut ink on the hair 'though.
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.

Offline Lorbaat

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »
I use the brown and chestnut inks from the Expert Paint Set on skin tones all the time (Vallejo Model Color paints).  I find the brown is really good at defining eyes and the like with a quick wash (and rehighlight).

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 01:49:08 AM »
Magnetize the hands so you can change it up when ever.  I'd say do some more highlighting layers on the skin then see how it looks.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline Balgin Stondraeg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:27:38 PM »
I'd say do some more highlighting layers on the skin then see how it looks.

I was aiming for a somewhat darker shade with more brown in it.....

I've base coated the metals now (apart from the weapon & shield) so I might take a new photo sometime soon if it ever stops raining.