Author Topic: Cult of Inevitable Decay WIP Thread (2016)  (Read 48124 times)

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Brethren WIP Stuff (New pics May 7th)
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 01:26:46 AM »
Hoping to get this next group done this weekend.  Just have shield designs and bases to do.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Brethren WIP Stuff (New pics July 16)
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 01:46:42 AM »
The first of the next squad of guardsmen.  This is the final squad I currently have to assemble.  The guys with the flails have been primed and lined.  This squad is inspired by the Aiel from WoT.  There will be nine guys with javelins, possibly the champion will have a javelin in each hand, with his shield on his back and there will be a standard bearer, drummer and priest in the squad as well.  The hand holding the javelin was a bugger because I hollowed out his hand and curled it a bit to hold the weapon better.  It looks funny pointed behind him, but my excuse is he is raising it to throw.  Javelins are by crocodile games and shields are skaven clanrat's.  Not sure yet if I will change the shield at all.  Any suggestions?  My putty skills aren't great though.

Pretty good pictures considering they were taken with my less than a month old new cell phone.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: woot for my 1000th post!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:47:46 AM by leadhead »

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Brethren WIP Stuff (New July 16)
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 03:24:02 AM »
Cool. I just started reading the wheel of time from the beginning again. I got to about book 10 then forgot who everyone was and lost the idea of the plot. Hopefully the last book will be out by the time I get to it. Lucky I'm a slow reader. These look really great. I take it the javelins on the back are from Croc games too? Nice stuff.

Oh yes, congratulations Dark Lord Leadhead.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:25:15 AM by beefcake »

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 05:05:18 AM »
Yeah, the javelins in the quiver thing and the loose one are part of the same set.  You get five sprues per set, each one with two quivers and one loose.  Needless to say I had to buy two sets, as I didn't fancy sculpting my own javelins.

Been a long time since you broke the 1000 mark isn't it beefcake?  Or the 2000 for that matter.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:06:38 AM by leadhead »

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 05:35:40 AM »
 :D I've only been on here about 4 years I think. So not doing to bad really. I made javelins for a conversion out of old spear tips from GW's skelton horde boxed set way back

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 01:22:08 AM »
I've got two converted now...slow going when you have to work, then come home so tired you can't stay awake after dinner.

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 06:54:10 AM »
 :applause: very nice
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 01:00:25 AM »
Little pictureless update.  Have managed to convert some more of the squad, I only have two left actually.  The champ is done.  Instead of two javelins, I repositioned the right arm slightly to be different than the other two guys of that body type.  In his left hand he is now holding a sword.  I even gave him the sword from a tunnel priest that I hadn't used yet.  I still haven't decided on the shield or no shield option.  I was wondering if it would look stupid attached to his right arm.  I've seen other minis holding a weapon and shield in one hand, and didn't think it odd looking.  Off to see if I can get another guy done before dinner (or both).

Well it was not until after dinner, but the squad is ready for the next step.  Base filling, a bit of gs here and there, then primering.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:08:49 AM by leadhead »

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 09:00:02 AM »
Why not make him a lefty? Sword in left hand, shield in right?

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 12:45:56 AM »
Well it doesn't seem like I am going to be getting any painting done.  It's over 30c here and it is just too hot and muggy to do anything. :blub:  Besides that I have soo much yard work to do...and with summer in full swing, it's too hot for most of the day to do more than sit in the shade.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 02:34:27 AM »
Middle of winter here. But a nice 22 degrees celcius. Had lunch outside and managed to pull a flax out of the garden too (and do some painting :) ) Good things take time.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 05:06:15 AM »
I've actually managed to get time to paint and now have the steel parts of the flail squad finished.  Yay

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 01:43:49 AM »
Wow, been a long time since I'd posted anything here.  Need to get pics done.  The flail squad is nearly done.  Finally.  Hard to believe I bought most of my dark buddies, summer '11.  Now summer '12 has gone and I'm still painting.  Good thing I'm not doing this for money.  I'd be hungry.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 06:06:42 AM »
Never did get to wip shots.  Now they're done, photos tomorrow if I can.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 06:22:31 AM »
:popcorn:

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 05:01:22 AM »
Finished flail squad pics up in Heresy gallery.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2012, 05:50:16 AM »
So now that the flail squad is done, I am going to do their command group, the command for the pick troops and the Dark Preacher.  Who is this 'Preacher' you ask.  I decided that the Cult of Inevitable Decay (that's what I've decided to call them) needs someone whose duty it is to bring more members into the fold.  He roams far and wide speaking the word of the Worm and of how all beings truly only have one thing in common, death and decay.  His god is strengthened by the demise of all, and that all should devote themselves to the Worm and further His goals.   :wink:  That's all I'll say about that for now.

PS They've all been primed now, ready for the next step.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2012, 06:52:14 AM »
Are you going to use the blights in your cult. Over-zealous members that have given their bodies to the worm.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »
Are you going to use the blights in your cult. Over-zealous members that have given their bodies to the worm.

Hadn't actually thought about using the blights.  But I do have something along that line in the works.  Maybe something for the future.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 06:06:46 AM »
Got the two command groups and the preacher lined today, after the big concrete pour went down, and almost lost it all on one section of the wall.  But it held up after nearly falling over.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Cult of Inevitable Decay WIP Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 08:34:55 PM »
I discovered something that could be rather irksome.  I have come to the realization that I can possibly totally skip two different layers when painting the robes, without affecting the overall look.  This notion didn't come to me until after I had done both the questionable layers on the group I am currently working on. :tantrum:  The most agravating part about it is I only have one squad of guardsmen left yet to see paint.  I think before I make any rash decisions, I need to line up every painted guardsman and look at their robes as I think they've evolved a bit since the first priest.

PS all the steel parts of them are done.  I do those first, after lining.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:44:58 PM by leadhead »

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Cult of Inevitable Decay WIP Thread (new pics Nov 12 '12)
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2012, 06:16:02 AM »
Here are some shots of the two command groups in the works.  Robes and steel parts are done at this point.  Also the first pics of the Dark Preacher.

So there we go.  The preacher is Andy's Necromancer obviously.  His pointing hand is from one of the priests in the background, as they both got swords.  The book, key and skull on a rope are from the box set of GW flagellants.  The necro is a very charismatic figure, and the pose lends itself quite well to what I wanted.  I'm very happy with him and really looking forward to having him finished.  I used the key on a chain because the priests all have a key on their belts, and I felt it fit as a talisman for 'unlocking' (if you will) potential cultist's desire to spread death and decay.  Considering most of the other cultists have a skull on them, why not him too.  Another powerful talisman never hurt, right?

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2012, 10:34:28 AM »
Certainly looks brilliant so far!

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2012, 07:14:12 PM »
Nice conversion to that necromancer :)

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 11:38:15 PM »
So simple but looks so cool.  Thanks!