Author Topic: Cult of Inevitable Decay WIP Thread (2016)  (Read 44141 times)

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Cult of Inevitable Decay WIP Thread (2016)
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:11:29 AM »
So here are some shots of the first squad of nine guardsmen.  Robes are done, metals have base coat and first metal coat.  They will get a highlight next then rust coat then a bit of another metal highlight.  To make my life hopefully easier, all these guys will get the same skin tone, to match one of the command groups whom they will accompany.  The next squad in line will get the other skin color.  I tried to do the robes by memory from the command groups, but ended up having to redo the last three or so layers, once I put some of the finished cultists in front of me.

Enjoy

« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:40:51 AM by leadhead »
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Brethren WIP Stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 07:16:21 AM »
Nice start  :thumbup:

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Brethren WIP Stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:23:48 AM »
Finished the rusty steel effects today.  There are a couple small bits on some of them that will be made to look like corroded brass/copper.  Skin is yet to be started then there isn't much left on them.

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Brethren WIP Stuff (updated Feb 19)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:42:44 AM »
So here are some more shots.  I haven't had the time I would have liked to spend on these guys lately.  Skin is almost done, two layers left.  As stated in a previous post, rusty steel parts are done.  I'm really happy with the way the gauntlets look, all rusty in places.

Whayahthink?

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
Re: Dark Brethren WIP Stuff (Updated Feb 19 more pics)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 04:14:38 AM »
Looking good.  :applause:
First pic a little dark though.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 04:30:42 AM »
But...they look soo cool.  Yeah it was a bit too dark.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 06:35:10 AM »
It does look cool and tunnelly, just a little hard to see the detail and work you've put in.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 10:42:22 PM »
Skin and leather leggings are done now.  Just have weapon staves and some little detail bits to do.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 05:54:43 AM »
Getting frustratingly close now.  All that is left are the staves and three guys have some little glass vials to paint.  And so little time to play.

Feb 28, finished squad except for a bit of work left to do on the bases.  Look for pics soon.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:35:31 AM by leadhead »

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 06:45:01 AM »
Well no pictures as of yet but, I have decided to complete the 'monumental' task of assembling and converting the rest of the squads before painting the next one.  Part of the reason for this is that I am making a reserve tank for my air compressor, which I use to spray on my testor's white primer.  Converting the compressor to work with a tank has made it a pain in the butt to convert back to directly connect an airbrush.  I may even do a 'how to/this is what I did' for the air tank.

Back on track.  The second straight out of the box squad is fully assembled and put on bases.  The squad with double handed flails is 5/9 completed with four waiting for weapons.  I only had four of the flails that I wanted the whole squad to use so I have to wait for the rest to come in.  The fifth is the champion with a slightly absurdly sized flail, but a hero needs to stand out a bit.  I just started on the squad with single hand close combat weapons and shields.  I'm thinking of calling them Helmsplitters or Skull Spikers (or something) due to the weapons I've come up with.  I have two done, except for attaching the shields.  Need to make a suitable weapon to make the hero stand out.  Will get pics when I can.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Brethren WIP Stuff (Now with fresh conversions Mar 11)
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »
Here are some conversions I've done.  Two squads, nine troops.  Eight regular guys with the same weapons and a champion with a different, but hopefully related-ish weapon.  There is even a nifty pic for scale purposes with one guardsman and three of Trollforged's Demon Worms (I have nine to keep unit consistency)  I still have one squad left to assemble/convert.

First, the squad with hand weapons and the shields they will have with the champion.  Shields and weapons are from GW Dark Elf warriors box.

Second, flail guys.  Flails are from GW Empire Flagellants box.

Third, I bet this guy's thinking 'Dang, good thing these are on my side!'

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 06:44:48 AM »
Great conversions and those troll forged worms fit with the theme seamlessly. :applause:

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 05:52:34 PM »
 :applause: very nice convertions,
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »
I just got the rest of the flails I needed on Friday and have attached them.  Soon they will be ready for primer.  Now I have my air tank finished and tested so I can get back to work.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 03:20:47 AM »
I just noticed, you either did these conversions a year ago or got the year wrong in the title.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Brethren WIP Stuff (Now with fresh conversions Mar 11th, '12)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 04:38:15 PM »
Uh... it was supposed to be the date not year.  Is that better?

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 03:30:27 AM »
Oh, my bad  :P

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 01:09:35 AM »
As stated elsewhere got 27 guardsmen primered.  The converted guys previously posted now have been made totally white as well as the second standard hook-prod squad.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 07:10:48 PM »
Have been working on the second unconverted squad.  Their robes are done and after what felt like far too many attempts, their steel bits are done as well.  The only difference between this squad and the first one is this second squad have masks, which I've made metal.  I'll try and post a pic soon.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:31:35 PM by leadhead »

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Brethren WIP Stuff (New pics May 7th)
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 06:07:26 AM »
Slowly making headway.  Skin base and first highlight now done.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 06:37:52 AM »
Second unconverted squad done.  Pics to be found in the gallery soon.

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 04:36:04 AM »
Have been trying to get time to paint.  The next squad in the works is the one with hand weapons and shields.  Their robes are done as are their steel parts, with two having skin base coat done.  Long week at work means tired boy.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »
Looking forward to seeing pics. How has the whole lot gone so far?

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 05:20:08 AM »
Sorry for tardiness beefy.  This last squad is done except for the faces of their shields (finished the backs yesterday) and bases.

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 06:46:36 AM »
No... It's not good enough  :D

Still looking forward to seeing them though