Author Topic: Hasslefree Range for younger painters  (Read 530 times)

Offline shinobi

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
Hasslefree Range for younger painters
« on: January 19, 2012, 02:26:11 AM »
Inspired by the recent Hasslefree contest for children, I would like to propose a range of Hasslefree miniatures designed with younger painters in mind (children).

While at the local shop selecting their HF miniatures to paint for the contest, they kept remarking that the miniatures were really small, lots of small bits to paint (they meant the details!), and there wasn't many figures that they immediately liked which is understandable since the HF range is mainly designed for more mature painters. Eventually they picked a couple of models but I'm sure that if there were some figures in the range that were designed with children in mind, they would have been happier with their choices.

Now, this is where people may reply stating certain HF minis and how children could like them, maybe the 'Aliens, Animals & Monsters' range.......... but I would have to say that a range that is maybe a slightly larger size, less small details, with a design focus more towards children's interests, could help to get more children painting along with Daddy/Mummy.

Anyhoo, lets get some feedback running  :boing:
100% Irons

Offline Brummie

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Hasslefree Range for younger painters
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:19:59 AM »
My answer to that is probably the cost involved producing something that is less of a product in my eyes people don't come here to buy average looking figures or am I completly not getting it?

People want nice looking detailed figures. Plastic kits with lesser detail on from all sorts of places can be used to practice on at a much cheaper cost per figure

Offline shinobi

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:44:24 AM »
...people don't come here to buy average looking figures or am I completly not getting it?

I see your point, but I'm not asking for 'average' figures.

What I am saying is that my kids painted their first figures for the recent kids contest......... HF figures, which as we all know are Quality  :yup:

They are now wanting to paint some more figures, but the last thing I want to do now is to have them take a step backwards and move to painting lower quality stuff.

I want them to paint properly, I want them to enjoy the hobby, I want them to appreciate the quality of the miniatures that they work on. Looking at cheap, plastic, lower quality stuff would be sending the wrong message to them........ but they would do a better job (at the moment) on figures that have children in mind when they are designed, the scale chosen, and the level of detail incorporated........ besides, quality figures don't need to have minute details to be winners.

But like I say, I do see your point, but I would like my kids to continue working on quality figures and if HF can come up with a suitable range that interests them more and is easier for them to paint, then I'd be very happy........... in the meantime I reckon some of my Martial Artists are gonna get painted for me this weekend   :D

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:47:33 AM by shinobi »
100% Irons

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:21:45 AM »
There's a few that wouldn't be too difficult in the monsters range. The greys, homonculous, maybe even the Kiergi and messans. I guess it depends on what your kids are into though.

Offline parthvader

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Battles
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 11:05:38 AM »

..... but I would have to say that a range that is maybe a slightly larger size, less small details, with a design focus more towards children's interests, could help to get more children painting

GW would fit the bill

slightly larger size
less small details
design focus more towards children...

Offline shinobi

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:48:16 AM »
the last thing I want to do now is to have them take a step backwards and move to painting lower quality stuff.

:angel:
100% Irons

Offline caerban

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • The Dark Side of the Moomin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »
As an idea for a range I think it's pretty good. I don't know whether it would sell but I like the premise. And with regards to quality, c'mon... printing a book in large print doesn't make it any less well written.
"No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head."

Offline Brummie

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 03:18:39 PM »
Thats cool I understand that.

But I don't see how it could be done without making the figures look pants IMO.

Not all plastic kits are crap I'd say they are value for money and good to practice on

Offline ink the troll

• Dark Underlord
  • short, fat & ugly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
The martial artists should work as well.
Also the maws + mini maws. Don't know if your kids play Ludo* - think that's what you call it in English. If so they could paint the mini maws in appropriate colours, maybe have a nice custom board as well to gradually get them into gaming?
The World of Twilight stuff should also be good for kids, quite imaginative and probably easy for them to come up with little scenarios to game?

*http://files.tradoria.de/91c4b604ab2930403357398b3e5d45fd/images/340383746_741958.jpg
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing