Author Topic: Deamon Army  (Read 8498 times)

Patrick Lefevre

Deamon Army
« on: January 09, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »
2 months ago I've decided to make my return to the fantasy branch of wargaming and since I had a bunch of Blights still hanging around in their original basecolour of 'White Metal Grey' and 'Plastic Slottabase Black' my choice of army was rather rappidly made.
Some miniatures are from 2 other manufactures, one of them is located in Nottingham in the UK if I'm not mistaken, and the pictures are rather lousy since my camera is slowly dying.
One unit of Blights is painted in green and the other on brown, a future one'll be painted in bonewhite pallid colours, so I can get a nice blend of sickly and earthy tones once all the models are painted and mixed between units.
2 things are a red tie in the army and these are the rusted weapons and slimy looking bases.
I hope you like them

The Green Unit

The Brown Unit

Both units mixed allthough it hardly shows in the picture (at least I tried  :lol: )

If you want to see more then please visit my blogpage http://makaison.blogspot.com/

Offline DRAGON

• LORD OF WHITE METAL MOUNTAIN
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Deamon Army
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »
Rotten job !  :lol: :thumbup:
Heaven doesn't want me. Hell is afraid i will take over !
OFFICIAL WINNER UDOD 2012
Minis painted this year (2013) : Too few !
Heresy Dragon - paint in progress - coming soon... seriously !

http://foddragon.mybrute.com

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »
Nice work! Is that big guy an avatars of War miniature?

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:47:27 PM »
Rotten job !  :lol: :thumbup:

I take that as a compliment then  :lmao:

Nice work! Is that big guy an avatars of War miniature?

It is, I liked it from the start and fits surprisingly well in the unit despite it's bulk.
You can hardly see the 25mm square base beacause of his girth  :lol:

Offline MartinWhitmore

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • The Art & Blog of Martin Whitmore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »
Looking good! I especially like the rusty weapons, the look & feel of the banner, and the excellent use of (what I assume is) TCR in the brainpans of the empty-headed ghouls. Nice rotten skin tones, too.

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »
Thanks  :notworthy:
The rust on the weapons is really fun to do and very simpel to boot: basecoat of Dark Flesh, Blazing Orange and afterwards Yellow Ochre stipled on and then a bit of Chainmail on the cutting edge and some of the raised areas.
The dangling entrails and inside of the brainpans were painted with Dark Flesh, highlighted with Scab Red and then given a coat of gloss varnish.
The rotten effect is easy, after the models were painted up to the highlightings the whole gang was given a wash of thinned down Sepia ink.
All colours are from the Vallejo range.
With the banners I had some free hand fun, the beauty is that far to intricate and neat banners don't match with the dirty look of the army.

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 09:46:21 PM »
 :applause: Well done very nice (let you off the GW fig as it's an old old one).
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 05:21:54 AM »
Why does eveyone paint AND takes better pics than me?  :blub:
Nice job  :smile:

I think in this field you have painted these better than I could.  Undead/rotting flesh is something that is totally alien to me.  To date, the only times I've ever attempted such a thing is the head in the hand of the Tunnel Dweller (which sucked) and the skeletons on the priests staves/staffs/sceptres/whatever.  I do however have a copy of Deth and Taxxis that just got primer yesterday.  Don't know when it'll see more than that, it sat assembled for most of a year.  As for taking pictures, macro mode is a must for individual minis.  I'm not so good with a camera still, and taking pictures of multi minis always leaves me befuddled.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »
Thanks Leadhead, I've been asking around and now i know a thing or 2 more about camera's and miniature photographing.
Not only will I invest in a new camera but also in a foldable photostudio that I saw in Holland for 30.
I promise to all of you that when I get all the equipment togethervI'll take new pics for all to enjoy  :D

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 11:02:10 PM »
I promise to all of you that when I get all the equipment togethervI'll take new pics for all to enjoy  :D

Of the equipment?

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 07:39:16 AM »

Of the equipment?

If you want to  :wink:
I was refering more to the miniatures to be honest  :wry:

Offline Brummie

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »
Really Grim and slimy (translates as very good) really like the bases  :applause:

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 04:37:17 PM »
Really Grim and slimy (translates as very good) really like the bases  :applause:

Thanks, they had a bit more work involved before the basecoating.
Usually I slap some PVA on the base and cover them in small gravel or sand or both, after that they get treated with flock or static grass.
Here I needed to drill a hole to stick the pearl in (the bubble), cover up all the openings left and give them several layers of water effect.
After that it's simply a matter of painting them in appropriate colours and giving them a coat of gloss varnish.

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »
And another 15 done, these are are the pale ones I've mentioned before

All I need now are 15 more and I've got 2 fat units of plaguespreading deamons at my command  :boing:

Offline weareblind

• Heavy Metal or no Metal at all
  • Mighty Fallen One
  • We are blind to the world within us
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
Heeeeeey, HORRIBLE!
We are blind to the world within us

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 02:32:26 PM »

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 05:47:30 PM »

Of the equipment?

This is the portable photostudio I was talking about.

And after some fiddling, cursin, Googling and some more fiddling i got this result.

All in all not to bad, I'm now eagerly awaiting the opportunity to go out and buy a new camera  :lalala:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:48:16 PM by Patrick Lefevre »

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »
That seems to work. A huge difference to the first photos.

Offline MartinWhitmore

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • The Art & Blog of Martin Whitmore
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 08:35:57 PM »
Oh, wow, yes! That photo turned out *much* better than the previous ones - maybe I'll have to look into one of these portable studio thingamajigs... I always have to wait for a sunny day, and the right time of day to get my lighting decent. ...and even then I have to do a little bit of color correcting to get the photos to be the proper color. Looks like you're on the right track!

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 08:59:54 PM »
Great little thing huh?  :smile:
It was fairly cheap too, about 30 or $39.
I know the internet's full of usefull tips about how to make these things yourself with merely a box and 2 desklights but this one is foldable, it slides neatly under a dresser or in a cupboard if you don't have to much space.
I've checked the box to see if they've got a manufacturers website but it's a housebrand from a Dutch shop called Xenos
http://www.xenos.nl/
It's all in dutch but maybe they can help you via the contact page: http://www.xenos.nl/contact
You have to fill in the boxes, I'll give you a quick translation:
Voornaam = First name
Achternaam= Last name
Onderwerp= Subject
E-mail= rather clear I think  :lol:
Vraag/opmerking= Question/remark
Verzenden= Send

I hope this helps

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 01:39:31 AM »
That's sweet.  Pics are awesome too.

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 08:33:48 AM »
I know, problem is that the flaws become clearer too  :mesostupid:

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 01:14:19 AM »
Sure, ok.  If you say so.

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
Trust me, I've got other pics here were you can clearly see the beginning of one colour and the end of the next  :D
That'll teach me to start blending but overall I'm very happy with my army in general.
Thanks for the nice comments guys  :happytears: