Author Topic: And finally................  (Read 12916 times)

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • M.E. is NOT a figment of my imagination
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
And finally................
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:24:27 AM »
The pictures were taken January 23rd 2011, the initial batch was cast at the end of Janaury 2011 for immediate release.

September 2010 something really bad involving our kids happened here at HF Central.  I wont go into it in detail, it isnt necessary, but it changed our lives. 
We tried to keep it quiet from you guys as much as we could and just weathered the storm of "where is this figure, where is that figure" with a story of closing for a refurb.
The repercussions and dealing with  it continued through the rest of 2010 and into 2011. The result was a complete breakdown for me and Kev coming very close, it was like being in a total meltdown.   
It changed a lot of our priorities in life and permanently changed me as a person.
Sheer stubborness and the 'survivor instinct' eventually got us through, although we came very close to losing everything we had worked for since 2004 including our home.
We arent completely put of the woods yet. Both of us feel we have lost over a year of our lives and although it is not completely behind us we are now in a position where we can try to move on.

The new website for us signified the business moving on and the release of this figure for me signifies that we survived and although
we have a lot of catching up to do at least we are still here to do it!  There is still a lot of work to do as we juggle stock levels and cash flow but
we are both very bloody-minded and not giving up without a good fight!  Thanks for your support this last 16 months, it has helped immensely.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:26:40 AM by libertee »
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

most mornings i wake up grumpy.   sometimes i just let him sleep.

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline steeldragon

• Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Steeldragon Minis -  Blog
Re: And finally................
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »
No matter if we sometimes only lurk... HF is an amazing partnership, and even if Kev does some gorgeous sculpts a lot of what makes it so wonderful is you, Sally, with the amazing customer relationship, so good in fact I feel you guys are almost like friends.

Keep the good work and we will be here supporting.

Hugs to everyone.

Andres

Offline gi6ers

• Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • Clatto Verata N... Necktie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »
Here's a painted version for ya.

@ Sally - knowing what I know, you are bloody amazing  :applause:

and keep an eye out for the postie  :angel:

Offline geronimo

• Administrator
  • Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Fenris Games
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 01:11:32 PM »
All the best to both of you. It's been a tough couple of years across the board, additional stuff on top can't have been remotely easy.

Onwards and upwards for '12  :beer:
Too many ideas....way too little time.
new website
Fenris on facebook

Offline Avicenna

• Slave to Paint
  • Global Moderator
  • Fallen One
  • Dragon #39... The perils of rock 'n roll decadence
    • View Profile
    • The Jolly Bodgers
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 01:52:09 PM »
Lets hope that 2012 brings you guys a well-earned break from the crap of the last few years!

Hasslefree and your legendary customer service are an amazing asset to the miniature industry, an industry that would be just that bit duller without all of Kev's wonderful creations.

Best of Luck for 2012 Sally
-Peter
My new Blog: http://www.jollybodgers.com

"...you describe yourself as an amateur. Don't forget that word comes from the French, meaning "lover of".
In artistic endeavours the very best results come from those who love what they do, whether or not they get paid for it "
-Bewildered Badger '07

Offline ballistic_bro

• Dark Lord
  • Do I need to say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »
The miniatures world would have a gaping hole without HF, so I'm glad you're both still here. Here's hoping that HF goes from strength to strength in the new year and beyond. :smile:

Here's wishing you, Kev and the family all the best for Christmas, the New Year and beyond. :bighug: :smile:
There's one thing you never put in a trap, if you're smart.
If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow,
there's one thing you never ever put in a trap,
me...........

Dr Who (2010)

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 03:25:05 PM »
Omg

When are you guys gonna catch a break?

Glad to still have you here Sally and Kev.

You keep making em, I'll keep buying them... I might even post here from time to time in the Friendly little extended family community you've created ;)

"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »
We are very happy that you've made it through and are still in business. 

I remember when I first found the HF site, I don't remember how, but I do remember thinking, "Hey what's this, who are these people with these cool minis"  I waited a really long time before putting in my first order though.  :blink:  Don't know why I waited so long either. 

That being said, I would love to send more appreciation and love your way in the form of orders and money, but I am right sacked out of coin.  :blub:  In the mean time, I wish you guys the best of everything now and into what may come in the new year.  Merry Christmas!
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

I have a tweeter thing now.  I might even use it.  @leadpaintshed if I can figure out how to

Offline Morkin

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 04:11:15 PM »
Good on yer for getting through all that crap without killing anyone or coming apart completely yourselves. I hope 2012 will be a much better year for you.

See you at Salute!  :D

Offline AKULA

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »
Congratulations to you both on the new website - it looks very professional.

Knowing what a crappy time you've had, Jo and I really hope that 2012 is a great year for you both, and for Hasslefree.

Patrick Lefevre

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 05:22:55 PM »
I don't know what happened and I wont pry but since this astonishing miniature marks such a big change and new beginning for you I've ordered one out of sheer hope I'll make a small contribution towards your happiness.
And because it's a lovely miniature ofcourse  :smile:

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 05:23:51 PM »
Here's to a sunnier future!
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Hellboy - "Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Offline jeff_lamarche

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »
As a parent myself, I really hope everything is okay there and that you guys really are moving on. I have no idea what happened and no desire to know, but felt the need to pop out of my semi-lurker status on the boards to say you don't ever need to defend putting your family and kids above everything else. If people seem impatient at times, it's nothing more than the fact that people love your minis.

Here's to a great year for HF and for you guys personally.

Offline weareblind

• Heavy Metal or no Metal at all
  • Mighty Fallen One
  • We are blind to the world within us
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 07:18:20 PM »
Barbaric!
We are blind to the world within us

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »
I hope Karma gives you guys a break and brings something nice for you. All the best.

Offline Iacton

• Heretic
    • View Profile
    • CMON Gallery
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 08:13:50 PM »
I hope that you and the rest of the HF gang have a FAR better 2012, cos it sounds like 2011 has had you in a permanent spin.

Good luck with everything, and the offer is always on the table if you need anything  :wink:

Offline Citizen Sade

• Big, soft Buffy fanboy
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 10:15:06 PM »
You Whites are battlers, that's for sure :applause:

Never forget that there's lots of people cheering you on (even if it's only from the sidelines). And, if you ever need a break, for whatever reason, just take one. I'm sure your true friends and fans will support you and that no explanations are necessary.

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 01:08:54 AM »
To reitterate Iacton's sentiments; you know we're only round the corner if you ever need a hand with the sort of blunt instrument, fetching and carrying kind of stuff. The sort of jobs that don't need brain power, you know.
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Hellboy - "Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Offline DRAGON

• LORD OF WHITE METAL MOUNTAIN
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 06:34:27 AM »
To quote an wise old man I used to know, "Don't let the Bast**ds grind you down"  :thumbup:
Onwards and upwards !
Heaven doesn't want me. Hell is afraid i will take over !
OFFICIAL WINNER UDOD 2012
Minis painted this year (2013) : Too few !
Heresy Dragon - paint in progress - coming soon... seriously !

http://foddragon.mybrute.com

Offline Catinator

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 09:07:27 AM »
All the best to you!

Keeping our fingers crossed that everything comes out fine!

A much better and successful 2012 to you!

Regards,

Catinator

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 11:06:39 AM »
The stuff I know about is more than enough of a burden for anyone to carry. To find out that even worse has happened - involving your kids! - and you've still managed to do as well as you have... I'm dumbfounded. I truly hope things go smoothly from now on.

Offline Vermis

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Minisculpture
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 04:21:15 PM »
Shoot. :?  I don't know what to say.  It's been said, and better than I could do.  So I'll agree with it,  and I'm glad things are improving, too.
minisculpture.co.uk
DanG on greens:
...before it even gets put into production the response that starts with 'nice job' ends in 'now do another...'

Offline sagunt

• Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 07:24:25 PM »
Sally, Kev, as parents we do what we must. 

Un fuerte abrazo.

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
  • M.E. is NOT a figment of my imagination
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 09:15:10 PM »
Thanks guys, we really appreciate all of the support.

What happened last summer devastated our world and has changed our lives completely.  We have come through it stronger but i had 2 complete physical/nervous breakdowns and Kev came close to a breakdown last december.  Kids bounce back but as adults it can be harder to forget and move on, you want to blame yourself for things that were beyond your control just so you can take away some of the anguish you feel as having failed as a parent.  My counsellor would tell me to wake up each morning and tell myself that i was a good mother.  Some days this was hard.

We kept it all quiet and muddled along as best we could, we tried to keep up with work but concentrating was hard.  Some days Kev would look at what he sculpted the previous day and strip it back and some days he couldnt work at all. This went on for months on end.  We tried to maintain a 'public presence' but I lost the best part of 8 months in a 'haze'.  We didnt plan to close HF, it just sorta got pushed to one side. 
We have come out of it stronger as a family unit and our priorities are now very different to how they were.  All we have to do now is try and sort out the administrative and financial mess we got into by effectively closing HF for a year but still needing the same outgoings covered!  That isnt a demand for sales btw, the new website is doing well and comments have been positive and constructive.  I think this last month has built back a good foundation on which to move forwards, i just hope it isnt a situation of 'too little too late'.

When we say we do appreciate everyone supporting us, we do actually mean it.  Over the years the FOD has grown into an extended family and i count many of you as close friends.  We are very lucky!
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

most mornings i wake up grumpy.   sometimes i just let him sleep.

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline kwailung

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Me on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 09:33:53 PM »
You and your family remain, as ever, in our thoughts and prayers, Sally.